PDA

View Full Version : DnD3.5e: Do pathfinder classes merge well with 3.5?

silverwolfer
2013-01-23, 10:24 PM
I know 3.5 classes translate decently into pathfinder, but do the pathfinder classes do well in 3.5?

AzazelSephiroth
2013-01-23, 10:46 PM
I find that most Pathfinder versions of classes work quite well within 3.5...
Short answer they work just fine!

However some minor changes may need to be looked at... 1/2 BAB classes have d6 HD, 3/4 BAB classes have d8s and full BAB classes all have d10s... with barbarian keeping its d12 as the exception.
the Wizard is mostly unchanged, the Sorcerer has nifty bloodlines...but is still mostly unchanged.
As for the Bard/Rogue more class abilities packed together (I personally love the Pathfinder bard).
Ranger gets terrains in addition to favored enemies... not a huge bonus but certainly nothing wrong with it.
Fighter gets feats as normal but now has cool class abilities to play with.
Monk is still a mix but now has Ki powers too... I like em:smallredface:
Barbarian has rage powers...
Cleric is basically the same
Paladin does their job better now, and Smite is awesome
Longer answer...they work fine!:smallsmile:
All in all I would say the Pathfinder classes are a bit tougher base than the 3.5 counterparts but aside from the obvious skill changes (perception-spot&listen) etc You shouldn't have any trouble.

silverwolfer
2013-01-23, 11:30 PM
I mean alchimist, witch, gunslinger

HunterOfJello
2013-01-23, 11:33 PM
I'm sure they'll all work out perfectly fine. Just keep an eye out for random exploits that people might end up finding.

andromax
2013-01-23, 11:34 PM
It's fine. You wouldn't notice much of anything.. even if the class only has perception skill.. roll a black d20 and a white d20 for spot and listen.

AzazelSephiroth
2013-01-23, 11:36 PM
Sorry about that, thought you meant the "core"
I have never played with the Alchemist/Witch/Gunslinger in a straight 3.5 game... however even if you are just adding the classes and none of the other rules, I would assume the classes to be normal (maybe a bit strong) compared to yoru average 3.5 base classes... however much of the Alchemist/Witch ability is based upon Pathfinder feats etc so keep in mind you may want to allow some Pathfinder material into the game. The same goes for the Gunslinger only more so... the entire class changes an aspect of the standard 3.5 model with the addition of guns... and the idea behind crafting/repairing/maintaining said weapons... however I think porting the rules for firearms over is as simple as copy/paste and you should be good to go:smallsmile:
The base numbers have not changed much... just be warned the Witch`s hexes can seem a bit strong at first, and the alchemist will be able to bomb large groups of enemies at a lower level than you may be expecting.

navar100
2013-01-23, 11:40 PM
I don't think so. Pathfinder's original classes were created with the intent to be balanced along with Core base classes. Since the Core base classes are more powerful and/or versatile than the 3E base classes, so too would the Pathfinder original classes. Mixing 3E and Pathfinder together works, but you're better off with a preference for the Pathfinder classes, Core and original. To mix in 3E, allow use of its feats, prestige classes, and possibly game worlds. Even Pathfinder's Paladin would appreciate Battle Blessing for example.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-01-24, 06:01 PM
But it is important to remember that 3.5e's classes can sometimes gain a whole lot of power from one little splatbook. Dashing swordsman, anyone?

If you allow pathfinder classes, and restrict them to the stuff on the SRD (www.d20pfsrd.com), they should do fine next to D&D 3.5 classes.

andromax
2013-01-24, 06:13 PM
Dashing swordsman, anyone?

3rd party/homebrew is unlikely to get blanket clearance like PF would, at a table.

Were you referring to daring outlaw..?

silverwolfer
2013-01-24, 06:19 PM
dashing swordsmen sounds like that is 3rd party or pathfinder not 3.5

Prime32
2013-01-24, 07:08 PM
I don't think so. Pathfinder's original classes were created with the intent to be balanced along with Core base classes. Since the Core base classes are more powerful and/or versatile than the 3E base classes, so too would the Pathfinder original classes.:smallconfused: It's not like the base classes were anywhere near equally powerful to begin with, in either game. And classes like Gunslinger aren't exactly what I'd call powerful or versatile. If anything, PF makes fighters less powerful and versatile by splitting all their feats into chains, though that's not part of the class itself (and would vanish if you brought a PF fighter into 3.5).

MukkTB
2013-01-24, 07:34 PM
Pathfinder classes are slightly more powerful than 3.5. Powercreep FTW. You can pretty much ignore it though. Its not a big deal.

Alternatively you could nerf everything to reverse the pathfinder changes.
D10 HD on Ranger, things like Ranger -> D8
D8 HD on 3/4 BAB classes -> D6
D6 HD on 1/2 BAB classes -> D4
Hmm, none of the other changes are really all that important.

Person_Man
2013-01-24, 10:02 PM
It's worth mentioning that a lot of low tier Pathfinder material has the illusion of being better then 3.5 material, but really isn't unless you allow players to choose freely from both Pathfinder or 3.5 material.

For example, consider the Pathfinder Fighter. He gets the same Fighter Bonus Feats, plus Bravery (minor poorly scaled bonus to Will Saves vs Fear), Armor Training (reduces armor check penalty and move penalty), Weapons Training (minor poorly scaled bonus to hit and damage with certain weapons), plus Armor Mastery (DR 5/-) and Weapon Mastery (better crits) as capstone-ish abilities.

His extra abilities are all weak, but they're better then dead levels, right? Wrong. (Sorta). Because Pathfinder Fighter Feats are almost all weaker then their 3.5 counterparts, and Pathfinder hands out more Feats per level to all characters. So the Pathfinder Fighter Bonus Feats are less of a resource then they were in 3.5, and thus the Pathfinder Fighter is weaker then the 3.5 Fighter.

UNLESS you let the Pathfinder Fighter load up on 3.5 Feats and 3.5 alternate class abilities, while also keeping his extra Pathfinder stuff and allowing him to trade them out for Archetypes as desired.

Then he's marginally better.

Of course, this can cut both ways. If you let the Wizard pick freely from Pathfinder spells (which are nerfed, at least in Pathfinder core) or 3.5 spells, you just end up with an even more powerful Wizard.

The solution is just to be a good DM. Have everyone make their characters together, decide on a general Tier and/or power level for everyone by consensus, and then build responsibly.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-01-25, 06:11 AM
Were you referring to daring outlaw..?

dashing swordsmen sounds like that is 3rd party or pathfinder not 3.5

No typo. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0390.html)