PDA

View Full Version : Dark blue Ioun stone

andromax
2013-01-23, 11:06 PM
10k for the Alertness feat? What a rip! But I need it to get into a prestige class and I don't burn a feat slot.

Well the Ioun stone is an unslotted item, and unslotted items add x2 to the cost.

Is that enough logic to infer that I could add it to a mask slotted item for 5k?

Chilingsworth
2013-01-23, 11:16 PM
It might be worth noting that a sorcerer or wizard's familiar also grants alertness. Of course, if you weren't planning to take a level in either class, it also costs a level. But if you were planing to have at least one such level, it only costs 100gp.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-01-23, 11:18 PM
It might be worth noting that a sorcerer or wizard's familiar also grants alertness. Of course, if you weren't planning to take a level in either class, it also costs a level. But if you were planing to have at least one such level, it only costs 100gp.

Got you beat - a dip in Spirit Shaman gives you Alertness as well, but it's free and you can't loose it (such as by being farther than a few feet from your familiar).

ericgrau
2013-01-23, 11:21 PM
Those both work. As for an original question yes a 5k slotted item is reasonable, and so is the face/eye slot for it. Or maybe the head slot. Either way you need to get an ok for the item from your DM because it is a custom item. But I don't see why he shouldn't approve it when there is another item that is so close.

andromax
2013-01-23, 11:22 PM
Yea losing all your prestige class features from your familiar being further than an arms length from you isn't really an option. If it were a psi crystal and I could use it as an Alertness suppository then that's another story but alas, that's still a feat to spend.

Dips for free stuff are nice, but only for full BAB in this case.

No PrC or base class will do as far as I know. Just wondering everyones opinion on the original question.

Either way you need to get an ok for the item from your DM because it is a custom item. But I don't see why he shouldn't approve it when there is another item that is so close.
Yea I agree.. I just hate doing custom items, so just trying to justify it as a price reduction that is RAW via some mechanic.

ericgrau
2013-01-23, 11:28 PM
The discount in exchange for occupying a slot is not cheesy, if that's what you're asking. It's fair. I might call foul if you tried to put it in the gloves slot or some random convenient slot with no apparent relation to noticing things.

I think custom items are great. As long as you're not trying to munchkin it by getting benefits that don't have a drawback you shouldn't feel bad about it. If you want to feel even better then fluff up a description for the mask.

andromax
2013-01-23, 11:32 PM
Cool cool cool.

BowStreetRunner
2013-01-23, 11:34 PM
No PrC or base class will do as far as I know.

The ones I know of are Beastmaster 2 (CAd), Halfling Outrider 1 (CW), Spirit Shaman 1 (CD), Dracolyte 3 (Dr), and Annointed Knight 1 (BE). Beastmaster, Halfling Outrider and Annointed Knight are all full BAB.

Acanous
2013-01-24, 01:28 AM
Really, the Familiar thing depends on your DM. I mean, if you make your Familiar something like a tiny viper that usually just lives in your pocket to protect from marketplace theivery, he's only going to target it SPECIFICALLY to get your goat.

If you have Improved or Item familiar and it's actually DOING something in combat, well it's fair game now.

Of course, you could just trade off your Familiar for something better and take the feat. Not like it's a huge tax for a primary caster.