PDA

View Full Version : The elusive Marid

AlanBruce
2013-01-24, 02:58 AM
Greetings! I have been trying to find the book where the Marid is. These are the genies from the Elemental Plane of water, said to be very powerful. Alas, I haven't been able to find one. I thought it was in the MM, but they only have the Djinn, Efreet, and Janni.

If anybody knows, I would be most grateful. Thank you in advance.

ShadowFireLance
2013-01-24, 03:00 AM
Why do you want one, if ya dont mind me asking, Otherwise, Manual of the Planes is where you'll find these guys.

AlanBruce
2013-01-24, 03:04 AM
She is a key NPC for a campaign I'm running. The party found her inside a large chest filled with water and unconscious. The owner of the chest (and the Marid) would very much like this genie back.

And thank you very much for the info!

Alas, I looked into it, but found no stats for the creature. I vaguely recall an illustration that had one- very blue and devilish looking as well.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-01-24, 03:22 AM
look harder. I guarantee you that marids are in the MotP. They're listed under genies along with the Dao.

Are you sure you checked manual of the planes, not the planar handbook?

AlanBruce
2013-01-24, 03:44 AM
Found it! I was looking at 4ed. version.

These guys are actually large...hmmm... there are no half genie templates out there, are they?

Eurus
2013-01-24, 04:51 AM

These guys are actually large...hmmm... there are no half genie templates out there, are they?

You could tack a Janni-style Change Shape ability on her to let her walk around human-sized when she wants.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-01-24, 07:32 AM

Half janni is in sandstorm. It's a full race, not a template though.

hamishspence
2013-01-24, 07:40 AM
Faerun books- Monsters of Faerun, Races of Faerun, Faerun Campaign Guide- have elemental planetouched which are described as being, in some cases, descended from genies- genasi.

Nothing stops them being used in other settings.

Half-elemental (MoTP) could also be interpreted as working, despite genies being outsiders rather than elementals.

Ashtagon
2013-01-24, 07:52 AM

The "half-whatever" templates don't actually halve the creature's size :smallwink: