PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Help stat out a pirate crew..

RFLS
2013-01-24, 04:25 AM
Alright, so, I'll be starting up a new campaign in the near future. It's going to be sandboxy and run under gestalt rules. The players are pirates on an airship, and are all senior crew in one position or another. So far, they're a human bard//sorcerer as the bartender/quartermaster, a human gunslinger//artificer as the ship's master gunner, a sylph druid/alchemist//witch/I don't know what else as the crow's nestman, and a human factotum/swordsage as navigator.

So, I need help statting out the other senior members of the crew, and honestly, figuring out what positions are left. The obvious one is captain, and I've got him done up as a dwarf barbarian/ranger focused on knocking people overboard. Other positions I can think of would be cook and bosun, but that's all I've got. I'd prefer suggestions for things that are fairly simple to run, as I like to keep the spotlight on the players and not a pack of NPCs.

EDIT: Derp, the players are level 4. It's not a big deal if a particular build is a level over or under that; I'm not going to run the crew to max potential.

RFLS
2013-01-24, 03:40 PM
Bump for great justice. Was thinking about running the chef as a DFA//Soulknife. Fire AND knives on command.

Just for the record, optimization is not a concern; the group's "optimizer" thinks that barbarians are OP.

Amnestic
2013-01-24, 03:47 PM
What sort of level? I don't see it mentioned, but I might just be blind :smallsigh:

Also, have you considered the Dread Pirate prestige class in Complete Adventurer for your captain?

RFLS
2013-01-24, 03:53 PM
What sort of level? I don't see it mentioned, but I might just be blind :smallsigh:

Also, have you considered the Dread Pirate prestige class in Complete Adventurer for your captain?

Uh...derp >.< I totally forgot to mention, they're level 4. I'll add it to the OP. For the Dread Pirate PrC, I hadn't, actually, but it doesn't really fit the brawling drunken dwarf captain I had in mind (original, I know). I was considering it for other crew positions, though. Perhaps the first mate.

Gildedragon
2013-01-24, 04:37 PM
For captain someone with high charisma-strength/dex. Intimidate based barbarian? A bardbarian maybe?

You may be in want of a physician/chaplain for that straight up archivist (pillaging of monasteries/temples for writings?) would work

Trasilor
2013-01-24, 05:02 PM
Just to be clear you have:

Bartender/Quarter Master: bard/sorcerer
Master Gunner: gunslinger/artificer
crow's nestman: druid/alchemist/witch/I don't know what else
Navigator: factotum/swordsage
Captain: barbarian/ranger

First mate - suggest a Face (Bard/Beguiler perhaps)for diplomatic reasons or Combat Brute (fighter/Warblade or scout/barbarian for movement shennanigans) for ship boarding leader.

Master of Arms - Combat Brute or Marshal

Of course, being on an Airship one would think they have a Master Arcanist (wizard)

Crew master: Dread Necromancer for that all undead crew. This is awesome i many ways: 1) Never have to pay/feed/share spoils with them, 2) Adventurers never run out of fresh recuits :smallamused:

RFLS
2013-01-24, 11:10 PM
You may be in want of a physician/chaplain for that straight up archivist (pillaging of monasteries/temples for writings?) would work

Hmm....chirgueon alchemist/inquisitor, perhaps, for the physisian?

Just to be clear you have:

Bartender/Quarter Master: bard/sorcerer
Master Gunner: gunslinger/artificer
crow's nestman: druid/alchemist/witch/I don't know what else
Navigator: factotum/swordsage
Captain: barbarian/ranger

First mate - suggest a Face (Bard/Beguiler perhaps)for diplomatic reasons or Combat Brute (fighter/Warblade or scout/barbarian for movement shennanigans) for ship boarding leader.

Master of Arms - Combat Brute or Marshal

Of course, being on an Airship one would think they have a Master Arcanist (wizard)

Crew master: Dread Necromancer for that all undead crew. This is awesome i many ways: 1) Never have to pay/feed/share spoils with them, 2) Adventurers never run out of fresh recuits :smallamused:

Master Arcanist would be a good idea... Maybe Beguiler/warmage, given that the group's not high OP at all.