PDA

View Full Version : Kim Possible

Scowling Dragon
2013-01-24, 07:18 AM
I was apprehensive about posting about my recent re-discovery of KP, until I saw this (http://www.thepetitionsite.com/164/600/385/bring-kim-possible-back-to-disney-channel/).

In case you don't know, KP was a super great show that ran on the disney channel during the 00s (Always wanted to say that):

It was a fun show about a super competent gal named Kim Possible and her incompetent best friend Ron Stoppable, who whilst a bit of a looser, was always willing to bring his best to the table. And his naked Mole rat.

It was also funny. I mean REALY funny. Since it was partially a satire of Superhero/ Spy Movie cliches. Here are some quotable lines

Dr. Drakken: Fo-shizel, she-gizle.
Shego: Ugh, wait, are you trying to be "hip" again?
Dr. Drakken: Word to your mother.

Kim: Wade, I need you to keep an eye on Ron. You've still got him chipped, right?
Wade: Kim, we talked about the ethical ramifications of that...
Kim: Wade...
Wade: Yeah, okay.
Kim: Please and thank you!

And it wasn't always perfect. There where a few crappy episodes. But I have lots of fun with it, and if you just heard about it, I hope you do as well. And considering the dreck the Disney Channel is showing now, I would be happy to watch it with joy for a change.

And please! Just for my sake alone-Sign the petition! :smallfrown:

Yes I know that TV networks have lied before dangling the possibility of reboots to sell stuff (Invader Zim :smallfurious:) but its just a petition.

Your vote could tip the scales! Tell this to others, petition, spread the news around! Just 5 minutes of your time! PLEASE! I beg of you! PLEASE!
I can't live on fan-fiction alone!

Starbuck_II
2013-01-24, 10:01 AM
I liked the later episodes when Ron learned Kung Fu (strangely still incompetent but he wasn't static).

And Shego's family was a cool episode. I totally shipped Ron and Shego at first, but he ended up with a great gal either way.

Scowling Dragon
2013-01-24, 10:04 AM
I had mixed feelings over that. I liked when he could contribute simply out of being there. Thats why I liked him. He was incredibly brave to follow Kim around on all the missions. Yes he yelled and such, but at the end of the day he fought supervillians and he was just a normal slacker guy.

But Monkey Kung-Fu was awesome.

kitep
2013-01-24, 05:10 PM
I loved the show myself. My fear is that reboots never seem to live up to nostolgia.

SDF
2013-01-24, 05:22 PM
I thought the show ran its course. No reason to bring it back.

Scowling Dragon
2013-01-24, 05:23 PM
I thought the show ran its course. No reason to bring it back.

Thats what I thought too, until I realized how desperate I was for another cartoon show to watch.

I love adventure time, but I need more. :smallfrown:

Pokonic
2013-01-24, 05:31 PM
Thats what I thought too, until I realized how desperate I was for another cartoon show to watch.

I love adventure time, but I need more. :smallfrown:

My little pony, my little- pfhaehehehehe.

Anyway, Gravity Falls is quite good, if you have yet to watch it. Young Justice is also the newest superhero show worth watching, and it's decent enough. Even better, there's a entire season worth of episodes that's out, as apposed to GF frustrating lack of new episodes in the middle of a season.

Scowling Dragon
2013-01-24, 05:39 PM
My little pony, my little- pfhaehehehehe.

One Day I SWEAR I will change my Avatar to a pony head on a pike. :smallannoyed:

Anyway, Gravity Falls is quite good, if you have yet to watch it.

It IS good. But It just releases so slow.

Young Justice

Didn't work for me. :smallfrown:

And I gave it another shot and watched halfway into season 2. Characters feel kinda starchy.

SDF
2013-01-24, 05:41 PM
It might work if you did what the Avatar franchise did and have it take place a generation later. I don't see a straight reboot, though.

Traab
2013-01-25, 08:19 AM
It might work if you did what the Avatar franchise did and have it take place a generation later. I don't see a straight reboot, though.

Hmm, could be interesting. I even have an good premise. Kim and Ron get amrried and have a kid/s. Eventually they reach the age where they get approached to become agents. Now, kim and ron havent told their kids about their secret agent childhoods, and the kids think they are keeping it a secret when they go on missions while kim and ron just stare at each other knowingly. Maybe sneak some extra help from time to time. The main focus are of course the kids and their adventures. The sub plot is them trying to hide this from their parents who already know and are pretending otherwise.

One last thing, THIS (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6372122/1/) is a link to a kim possible fanfic crossover with spiderman/marvel in general. Its ron centric, and has a bit of a darker turn with the whole kim/ron relationship thing. But there is also a lot of humor and action. Good for any fans that wished Ron was more of a big damn hero.

Scowling Dragon
2013-01-25, 08:30 AM
Eh. I don't see them having Kids. I see Kim dumping Ron later on, and stuff.

Traab
2013-01-25, 09:23 AM
Meh, ill admit im not a huge fan of the series. Ive seen a few episodes, enough to catch the general gist of things and I know they hooked up, but I dont know enough of the nuances to speak on if they would stay together or not. I was just suggesting a possible (snerk) way a next generational thing could happen.

Hell, we could even have an amicable breakup and they stay partners as agents. They each find someone else, get married, have kids, and the next generation of the Possible/Stoppable duo gets approached to become agents. Or go a darker route. Ron is pissed about the breakup and vanishes. Kims kid becomes an agent and is targeted by by the mysterious bad guy who we eventually learn is Ron out for revenge. "Oh you thought I would just LET you have a happy life after what you did to me?" etc etc etc

Scowling Dragon
2013-01-25, 09:37 AM
Eh. Thats why I usually hate posting up any of the things I like. When I find out nobody likes them or usually doesn't care I feel disheartened.

Traab
2013-01-25, 09:42 AM
Eh. Thats why I usually hate posting up any of the things I like. When I find out nobody likes them or usually doesn't care I feel disheartened.

Like I said, I never really got into it, that doesnt mean it wasnt enjoyable. For whatever reason the show never truly clicked for me, it was something my niece used to watch and sometimes id watch with her. I wouldnt object to seeing a new generation revamp of the story, as I think it was kind of clever. It had interesting action scenes, an amusing direction of animation, and had some funny scenes and decent bad guys. I find myself having a harder time getting into the more for kids style cartoons than I used to, but that doesnt mean I cant appreciate them when they are well done.

Aotrs Commander
2013-01-25, 09:43 AM

I don't. I think Kim and Ron's slowly building relationship over the course of the series was one of it's strong points. (Along with not making Ron the completely inept sidekick. Mostly inept, and woefully unlucky, but that just made his rare moments of competance shine brighter.) If they were just going to backtrack on all that character development, then I don't think it'd be worth digging up the series.

Or go a darker route. Ron is pissed about the breakup and vanishes. Kims kid becomes an agent and is targeted by by the mysterious bad guy who we eventually learn is Ron out for revenge. "Oh you thought I would just LET you have a happy life after what you did to me?" etc etc etc

That would be such a dreadful derailment of Ron's character, I would very much rather see the show stay dead before they did something like that. (Though given this is Disney (and "aimed for younger-audience (sic)"-Disney at that), I suspect the idea would be nixed before it even got off the ground.

Though I suppose you could make an argument for a sort of plot arc wherein Ron had gotten nailed with that alignment reversal do-hickey again (or something similar), and the arc was trying to nail the much-more-competant Evil Ron long enough to switch him back. That would actually be kinda cool.

Also, before resurrecting the show, releasing it on DVD in it's entirity would be favourite. (Unless they've done that in between now and the last time I checked...)

Rockphed
2013-01-25, 09:49 AM
The series ended with Ron and Kim, or maybe Kim and Ron, flying off in a car after their graduation party. This is known as a grease ending for a reason. And unless you want the horror of Grease 2 inflicted upon Kim Possible, I suggest you not try to get Kim Possible a sequel or reboot.

Aotrs Commander
2013-01-25, 09:55 AM
Therein lies the danger. If you could get the creative team back, and they can come up with more stories to tell, great. But sometimes the continuation- after-a-long-break stuff tends to be a pale imitation. (See Dexter's Lab, where they didn't even get all the voice cast back.)

Xiaolin Showdown, for example is preportedly getting a new series at some point, but whether it can be as good as the original remains to be seen. (I'm unusually naively optimistic...)

Sadly, there's quite a lot of good cartoons that could have carried on (I quite liked American Dragon, and that only managed two seasons and no movies.) Kim Possible at least had a solid run, one more season than it should have and solid ending; which is more than many get.

(I'm still sore Wolverine and X Men didn't get a second season, especially since it was on a cliffhanger.)

Scowling Dragon
2013-01-25, 10:03 AM
OK. Now Im completely torn. On one side, I wan't to see what happens next out of pure curiosity on the other if it turns out bad It will tarnish all the good memories as well.

But I think its worth the risk. This in it of itself is more to see if this could cause Disney to re-think its current TV policies. AKA stop making garbage.

But its unlikely to happen at all. I just wan't to see how it goes.

I don't. I think Kim and Ron's slowly building relationship over the course of the series was one of it's strong points.

I was about to mention that this was because of a crazy fan theory I made up but once I wrote that sentence I needed to re-edit the rest of my argument.

I guess your right.

Edit:

Now I feel miserable. I now hate myself. This was a bad idea.

Friv
2013-01-25, 10:41 AM
I would not be super-happy with a return to the series, for all the reasons mentioned above. The series progressed slowly, but just quickly enough to work. It ended with the teenagers going off to college, and moving on to new lives.

That said, I think a "next generation" would be a good way to go. Specifically, a next generation focusing on Ron's sister Hana, with Kim's younger brothers serving as her Wade and a couple of new characters rounding out her crew. The core cast from the previous show could appear from time to time, but she would largely have her own cast of heroes and villains.

It would have to be set very slightly in the future, since it's only been six years since the show ended and you'd want her to be an actual teenager, but not extravagantly.

Scowling Dragon
2013-01-25, 11:47 AM
Posting this topic now had me thinking. And now I hate everything about the show.

Your right. Outside of a stupid Next Gen thing (Those never work out well), this would be so static and stupid.

How was I so easily blinded by nostalgia.

Friv
2013-01-25, 04:08 PM
Posting this topic now had me thinking. And now I hate everything about the show.

Your right. Outside of a stupid Next Gen thing (Those never work out well), this would be so static and stupid.

How was I so easily blinded by nostalgia.

Dude, you really need to take a deep breath and relax. You're working yourself up for nothing.

There are ways for a reboot of the show to work out, and we're all batting around ideas and talking about them. Your thread made me think about the show again, so I'm happy about that.

Dienekes
2013-01-25, 04:16 PM

I was never a real fan of the series, but my siblings were so I know a bit about it. And may I just say I find the concept of after seasons of relationship development, with the last episode literally pounding into the audience and the characters that they need each other and have grown to depend on each other to the point that the can't see themselves living without the other, them just breaking up offscreen absolutely hilarious?

Scowling Dragon
2013-01-25, 04:28 PM
Thats why im afraid of placing anything I like on a podium unless other people do it first. Its a direct link to my soul. And its very easy to mess up.

As a result I come off as a very negative person.

Ravens_cry
2013-01-25, 04:36 PM
It was a nice show. Good for simply watching with fun, if not terribly deep, characters.

Dienekes
2013-01-25, 06:45 PM
Thats why im afraid of placing anything I like on a podium unless other people do it first. Its a direct link to my soul. And its very easy to mess up.

Nah you come off as a shipper who didn't get his favored pairing. I'm the one who finds romance destroyed in offhand ways actually funny.

Traab
2013-01-25, 07:57 PM

Honestly, its impossible to please all of the people all of the time. There are a lot of us that would enjoy seeing a kim reboot in some form or another. You cant let a few people being against an idea crush you like this.

kitep
2013-01-25, 09:12 PM

Relax. As you can see a lot of people on this forum loved the show. Maybe too much since we're worried that a reboot won't live up to the original.

There's so many directions it could go too, besides the next gen stuff

Maybe Kim is now in control of Team Possible.
Maybe Ron in now in control of his Monkey Kung Fu.
Maybe the future we've seen where everyone is buff combines with the tech (Phoenix Ring?) that makes you super smart, and it launches the singularity...
Maybe the guy in the wheelchair leads a team called "rolling thunder"

I want to see more Motor Ed :)

MLai
2013-01-25, 09:53 PM
They should break up offscreen. If they ever had a true romantic relationship to begin with. High school romances inevitably break up in college, when the young individuals continue to mature as separate ppl in a brand new, bigger pond filled with many new fish. What seemed so important as high schoolers become outmoded real quick.

Ron will probably be in some relationship, but not with Kim. Kim will probably still be hopping between men.

But that would make this a story no longer for tweens...

Dr.Epic
2013-01-25, 10:23 PM
It was a fun show about a super competent gal named Kim Possible and her incompetent best friend Ron Stoppable, who whilst a bit of a looser, was always willing to bring his best to the table. And his naked Mole rat.

I know this is trivial, biased, unfair, and really superficial, but the awful puns of the two main characters' name was a huge reason for me to stay as far away from this show as possible. And trust me, I have a high tolerance for bad puns. I own all the Munchkin stand alone games as well as most of the expansions.

Traab
2013-01-26, 10:43 AM
Relax. As you can see a lot of people on this forum loved the show. Maybe too much since we're worried that a reboot won't live up to the original.

There's so many directions it could go too, besides the next gen stuff

Maybe Kim is now in control of Team Possible.
Maybe Ron in now in control of his Monkey Kung Fu.
Maybe the future we've seen where everyone is buff combines with the tech (Phoenix Ring?) that makes you super smart, and it launches the singularity...
Maybe the guy in the wheelchair leads a team called "rolling thunder"

I want to see more Motor Ed :)

You know, I linked a story earlier, where we find out that global justice or whatever the group they are a part of, was actually a recruiting subsidiary of SHIELD> Basically, they find young teens with potential, test them out on the relatively small fry and if they have what it takes, they get the boot up to full size SHIELD agent. I dont think the reboot should do THAT precisely, but an adult kim and ron agent duo COULD be pretty cool. A more competent Ron matched with a more experienced Kim, a married couple agent team, (or just friends, whatever) Fighting off plots by a higher tier of bad guys, it could work.

The main problem with that as I see it is it might not really be aimed at the same age group. But then again, the kids who grew up watching kim possible are also several years older themselves. It might be like pokemon. It was great the first few series, but it stayed at the same age level while I grew older and just got boring to me.

Scowling Dragon
2013-01-26, 10:48 AM
I know this is trivial, biased, unfair, and really superficial, but the awful puns of the two main characters' name was a huge reason for me to stay as far away from this show as possible. And trust me, I have a high tolerance for bad puns. I own all the Munchkin stand alone games as well as most of the expansions.

I eat puns for breakfast with some toast and tea!

And I understand how some people just can't stand the younger age group feeling. I guess Its just that I still don't FEEL like an adult. Like its the 10 year old me looking through the eyes of current me. Thats why I like this stuff more.

Dr.Epic
2013-01-26, 12:15 PM
I eat puns for breakfast with some toast and tea!

And I understand how some people just can't stand the younger age group feeling. I guess Its just that I still don't FEEL like an adult. Like its the 10 year old me looking through the eyes of current me. Thats why I like this stuff more.

Look, all I'm saying, if the main characters are going to have pun names, at least give them vegetable pun names.:smallwink:

Geddoe
2013-01-26, 12:21 PM
I was apprehensive about posting about my recent re-discovery of KP, until I saw this (http://www.thepetitionsite.com/164/600/385/bring-kim-possible-back-to-disney-channel/).

In case you don't know, KP was a super great show that ran on the disney channel during the 00s (Always wanted to say that):

I liked the show, but Ron is not incompetent. He is hyper competent, but content to let Kim take credit and point.

kitep
2013-01-27, 04:02 AM
And Rufus could do a cross-over with Phineas and Ferb as "agent R"

datalaughing
2013-01-27, 07:07 AM

Sorry, but I don't feel like a guy calling himself Dr. Epic has a leg to stand on here.

Traab
2013-01-27, 10:10 AM
I liked the show, but Ron is not incompetent. He is hyper competent, but content to let Kim take credit and point.

Didnt he start out as bumbling sidekick and slowly grow in competence over the years?

Dr.Epic
2013-01-27, 10:26 AM
Sorry, but I don't feel like a guy calling himself Dr. Epic has a leg to stand on here.

Oh, I'm sorry. Maybe I should change my name to Dr. Epic Demic. Or maybe Dr. Eadful. And I buy all my clothes at the mall, the A. Bis Mall.

Also, my name isn't a pun.

Anecronwashere
2013-01-27, 11:20 AM
I could see a reboot of Kim Possible, though probably not a direct sequel.
Set it years after the end of the last episode and expand the universe.
Focus on a new cast with their own villains and rivals with references to the originals.

Have a Kim Possible wannabe as the main rival, but too arrogant and hero-worshippy to be truly great (maybe throw in some episodes where it's apparent she could be a truly awesome Hero if she focused on her own talents not those Kim showed, and be more helpful to people, building connections like Kim)
Keep in the general theme of the show, the villains should be thwarted, use deathrays and have weird hideouts
Add in references to other teen wonders out there, either showing up as rival teams (either traitors who go Evil, the Organization of Teen Heroes or just competitors, recurring or otherwise) especially Kim. The Monkey's Paw makes an appearance, some technology that looks like some of the alternate futures shown is being developed and got stolen, an old villain from the series shows up to aid the new series villain for an episode, or to help the main characters after reforming

The twins should totally be the new Wade, providing the connection to Kim Possible and adding in their zanyness in the best way it can

Scowling Dragon
2013-01-27, 01:48 PM
Also, my name isn't a pun.

By the same logic Stoppable isn't a pun either. They are both real words. I guess you can stretch the im into impossible, or ron into onstopable but those are both a stretch.

You are a hypocrite!:smalltongue:

Dienekes
2013-01-27, 02:04 PM
By the same logic Stoppable isn't a pun either. They are both real words. I guess you can stretch the im into impossible, or ron into onstopable but those are both a stretch.

You are a hypocrite!

No they're really not a stretch at all, it seems obvious that that was the intention of the writers. While Dr. Epic doesn't make a pun, it's just a reference to Dr. Horrible and epic.

Dr.Epic
2013-01-27, 05:09 PM

No, you're right. Having the last name "Stoppable" or "Possible" isn't a pun. It's the addition of the first name "Ron" or "Kim" that suddenly turns your name into a teeth grinding pun.

And I got 20 bucks that says Kim marries a guy with the last name "Flammable.":smalltongue:

[QUOTE]You are a hypocrite!:smalltongue:

Nope. Not at all.:smalltongue:

kitep
2013-01-27, 07:27 PM
[QUOTE=Scowling Dragon;14603268]No, you're right. Having the last name "Stoppable" or "Possible" isn't a pun. It's the addition of the first name "Ron" or "Kim" that suddenly turns your name into a teeth grinding pun.

Indeed. It was even the plot of 1 episode where an ancient manuscript that was decoded as "unstoppable" was actually "Ron Stoppable".

Dr.Epic
2013-01-27, 07:45 PM
No they're really not a stretch at all, it seems obvious that that was the intention of the writers. While Dr. Epic doesn't make a pun, it's just a reference to Dr. Horrible and epic.

Who is this Dr. Horrible I keep hearing about? My screen name is a completely original name!

:smalltongue:

Eric Tolle
2013-01-29, 03:26 PM
Didnt he start out as bumbling sidekick and slowly grow in competence over the years?

The main evidence of his competence is that he's been able to follow Kim on a variety of missions and survive, while occasionally helping. I doubt I could do that.

Scowling Dragon
2013-01-29, 03:33 PM
The only reason he isn't a hero in some other show is that he is paired up with Kim.

Whenever he goes solo he tends to act much more competently. So its probably a self esteem issue.

Sannom
2013-03-03, 08:37 AM
Also, before resurrecting the show, releasing it on DVD in it's entirity would be favourite. (Unless they've done that in between now and the last time I checked...)
Last time I checked, the U.S had finally followed the lead of Germany and released the two first seasons on DVD, but neither the third nor fourth season are available on DVD, not even in Germany, and the quality on iTunes is sometimes dreadful.

That said, I think a "next generation" would be a good way to go. Specifically, a next generation focusing on Ron's sister Hana, with Kim's younger brothers serving as her Wade and a couple of new characters rounding out her crew. The core cast from the previous show could appear from time to time, but she would largely have her own cast of heroes and villains.
Hana and possibly a niece or nephew would be a good team, I think. For extra drama, have, at some point, Kin and Ron be both zapped by the Attitud-inator and form the unholiest of matrimony, bent on conquering the world for themselves, with only the newest teen heroes being able to fight them and bring them back to normal.

The dynamic of their team looked like a reversal of the usual dynamic in which the great, recognized hero actually does very little and the sidekick is the one doing all the heavy lifting. Ron and his antics are the key to Kim's long-term success, at least when going after super-villains, but since Kim is the one driven and willing to just do all these things, not to mention taking care of the most dangerous parts of the business, she's the one who (deservedly) gets most of the credits.

oblivion6
2013-03-04, 12:31 AM
Oh, how I miss this show...Better than the absolute CRAP thats on Disney now(Shake it up, ANT Farm, Jessie, i'm looking at you!).