PDA

View Full Version : Fighter Bump: How Helpful/Broken

prufock
2013-01-24, 10:38 AM
So I'm doing a bit of a redesign on the Fighter class. I'm borrowing ideas from several sources, and I was curious how people feel this will impact it's power/tier.

Major Changes:
1. Fighter gains an extra bonus feat at level 19, for a total of 12, and feats are now floating. I've seen this as a common "fix" for the class. Instead of choosing new ones at the start of the day, however, I'm considering giving them the ability to swap out a feat by spending 5 minutes in practice, up to 1 hour total. They can, if they choose, exchange these slots for permanent bonus feats (so they qualify for PrCs and stuff). They also get the ability to sacrifice a slot for the day in order to swap a feat for 1 round (ie, they swap out for 1 round without practice, but then can't use that slot for the rest of the day).
2. Furious Strikes at level 6: Take a -2 to attacks to make full attack as standard action. Penalty stacks with others.

Other changes:
1. Zhentarim variant, except SF:Intimidate comes at lvl 1. To complement this they also get the Samurai's Mass Staredown at 13 and Imperious Command as a class feature at 17.
2. Counter Attack, Dungeoncrasher, Elusive Attack, and Overpowering Attack are now fighter-only feats with level reqs. Weapon Supremacy is now a fighter bonus feat.
3. Resolve ACF at level 1 for free.
4. Armor Training as the PF Fighter with Armor Mastery (ignore all ACP and max dex limits) and Weapon Mastery (all weapons) at level 20.
5. Intelligence bonus to Combat Maneuver Bonus, min 1 to help MAD, since they now have more use for Int and Cha (using this from PF as a variant).
6. Command and Greater Command 1/encounter as the spell but an Ex ability at level 2 and 10 respectively. Can burn off floating feat slots for extra uses. DC 10 + 1/2 level + cha mod.

I'm not trying to get to tier 1 or anything, but would like to get up to tier 3. Am I getting close?

TopCheese
2013-01-24, 12:47 PM
So I'm doing a bit of a redesign on the Fighter class. I'm borrowing ideas from several sources, and I was curious how people feel this will impact it's power/tier.

Major Changes:
1. Fighter gains an extra bonus feat at level 19, for a total of 12, and feats are now floating. I've seen this as a common "fix" for the class. Instead of choosing new ones at the start of the day, however, I'm considering giving them the ability to swap out a feat by spending 5 minutes in practice, up to 1 hour total. They can, if they choose, exchange these slots for permanent bonus feats (so they qualify for PrCs and stuff). They also get the ability to sacrifice a slot for the day in order to swap a feat for 1 round (ie, they swap out for 1 round without practice, but then can't use that slot for the rest of the day).
2. Furious Strikes at level 6: Take a -2 to attacks to make full attack as standard action. Penalty stacks with others.

Other changes:
1. Zhentarim variant, except SF:Intimidate comes at lvl 1. To complement this they also get the Samurai's Mass Staredown at 13 and Imperious Command as a class feature at 17.
2. Counter Attack, Dungeoncrasher, Elusive Attack, and Overpowering Attack are now fighter-only feats with level reqs. Weapon Supremacy is now a fighter bonus feat.
3. Resolve ACF at level 1 for free.
4. Armor Training as the PF Fighter with Armor Mastery (ignore all ACP and max dex limits) and Weapon Mastery (all weapons) at level 20.
5. Intelligence bonus to Combat Maneuver Bonus, min 1 to help MAD, since they now have more use for Int and Cha (using this from PF as a variant).
6. Command and Greater Command 1/encounter as the spell but an Ex ability at level 2 and 10 respectively. Can burn off floating feat slots for extra uses. DC 10 + 1/2 level + cha mod.

I'm not trying to get to tier 1 or anything, but would like to get up to tier 3. Am I getting close?

Perhaps try the homebrew forum?

Also 1 and 2 are.. meh and I wouldn't take the class that far when I have the Warblade.

Other changes..

1: I think Zhent fighters have to be evil? But either way fear stacking is fun but doesn't always work and is easily negated.

2:Give these to the fighter for free as class features not as feats.

3: I forget what that is.

4: PF armor/weapon training is nice but still meh.

5: So your fix on MAD is making them more MAD? Needed now is... Str/Dex, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Cha.... Ouch... How about basing all int/cha class features off from wis so they will be a Str/dex, Con, Wis based?

6: More mad but command would be great as an Ex, base it off wisdom (you use your wisdom to convince someone to do something.. make make that much sense!).

At level 1 make ALL feats floating feats that may be changed out 1/week to show training... Use weapon aptitude with the fighter.

Oscredwin
2013-01-24, 01:38 PM
First, make only fighter feats floating (I think this was your intention).

Second, what does the fighter do when investigating a crime scene? How does he help defend a village from attack? How does he help in an ambush? How does he help when we suspects an ambush? These are questions you need answers to if a fighter is going to be tier 3. He doesn't have to solve the problem but he does have to meaningfully contribute.

prufock
2013-01-24, 02:15 PM
Clarifying some things.

@TopCheese:
Removing alignment restriction on Zhentarim.

Resolve lets you subtract points from your BAB to add to Will saves as an immediate action for a round. Decreases the need for Wis.

PF weapon training isn't there, since you can now take 5 minutes to retrain a feat slot with Weapon Focus for whatever weapon you want to use.

They won't really need wis, and I'm taking out that +int and just making it +1 per 4 levels (4, 8, etc). Dex is useful but not necessary. Charisma is important.

@Oscredwin:
Yes, that was my intention. Good questions, too, it will help me define what I want this class to do in varied situations.

Oh, and @ Moderators: Feel free to move to Homebrew.

TopCheese
2013-01-24, 10:25 PM
Clarifying some things.

@TopCheese:
Removing alignment restriction on Zhentarim.

Resolve lets you subtract points from your BAB to add to Will saves as an immediate action for a round. Decreases the need for Wis.

PF weapon training isn't there, since you can now take 5 minutes to retrain a feat slot with Weapon Focus for whatever weapon you want to use.

They won't really need wis, and I'm taking out that +int and just making it +1 per 4 levels (4, 8, etc). Dex is useful but not necessary. Charisma is important.

@Oscredwin:
Yes, that was my intention. Good questions, too, it will help me define what I want this class to do in varied situations.

Oh, and @ Moderators: Feel free to move to Homebrew.

So resolve makes you be bad at what you should be good at so you might be better at something you are horrible at (bad will save + no wisdom). Why should the fighter have to give up something they are good at to do something else when virtually every other class doesn't have to do that?

Invader
2013-01-24, 10:39 PM
Add a few needed class skills and allow them to take any feat instead of just "fighter feats."

"Evasive" feat gained at 6th level. Gives the fighter 20% miss chance bonus.

prufock
2013-01-25, 08:12 AM
So resolve makes you be bad at what you should be good at so you might be better at something you are horrible at (bad will save + no wisdom). Why should the fighter have to give up something they are good at to do something else when virtually every other class doesn't have to do that?

Yeah, it is essentially power attack for will saves. It is actually a fighter ACF called Resolute, which I just nabbed and put in at first level. I'm sure there is a better way to do it, ie flat bonus vs mind-affecting, good will progression, or bravery as the PF fighter does. Actually allowing the PF bravery progression to apply to all mind-affecting could work.