PDA

View Full Version : How to undo the possession of a Shadow Simularcum?

Zombimode
2013-01-24, 11:37 AM
The Shadow Simularcum is a template introduced in Shadowdale: Scouring of the Land (maybe also somewhere else, I don't know).

It grants a supernatural ability called Possession. It references Magic Jar for its function with some changes. Albeit the possession has no set duration, no way to end the possession is given (besides outright killing the possessed creature).

Normally once you know that a creature is magic jar'ed, you can easily deal with it by using some form of dispel effect. But since Possession is a (Su) ability, it can't be dispelled.

The adventure itself suggests (on a different page, mind you) using Limited Wish to deal with the possession, but after reading this spells, it just seems to fall under the "DM fiat" functionality of the spell.

Is there any other, and more safe, way to deal with this ability?

Santra
2013-01-24, 11:51 AM
Well there is always the Sacred Exorcist prc from Complete Divine which grants the Exorcism supernatural ability at level 1.

Exorcism (Su): As a full-round action, a sacred exorcist
can force a possessing creature or spirit out of the body it
inhabits. To exorcise a possessing creature, the exorcist
makes a class level check (also adding her Charisma modifier,
if any), against a DC of 10 + the possessing creature’s
HD + its Charisma modifier (if any). If the exorcist’s result
equals or exceeds the DC, she succeeds in forcing the possessor
from the body, with the normal results based on its
method of possession. A spirit so exorcised cannot attempt
to possess the same victim for 24 hours.

Ranos
2013-01-24, 12:08 PM
The Impotent Possessor and Imprison Possessor spells from BoVD could work. Or, some sort of permanent protection from evil effect, if you could swing it.

For a more permanent solution, you'll have to find a guy with the Exorcism domain (from Eberron, but who knows), the Sacred Exorcist class, or some other similar ability.

Asteron
2013-01-24, 12:26 PM
If it says that limited wish works, then it works... It's most likely a "there isn't really a good option to care of this so we will fiat one for you" deal, but specifics beat general...

Asheram
2013-01-24, 12:35 PM
... I think that a Dismissal or Banishment might take care of the problem.
It says that the creature "merges its body with the target" so, well... It's all up on the ruling if you can target the shadow simulancrum when casting a dismissal on the "host"

Edit: Oh bother. It doesn't say it's an "outsider" but it lists its enviroment as "Plane of Shadow"

Nettlekid
2013-01-24, 12:47 PM
I daresay that, being a Su ability, an Antimagic Field or Antimagic Ray would suppress it at the very least. Probably force out the creature, since they have no means of keeping themselves inside.
I don't know anything about what a Shadow Simulacrum is, but if it's incorporeal, Antimagic Field causes it to wink out of existence for the duration. That's quite good to keep it at bay. Or maybe if you had someone cast Magic Jar on you while you're possessed, they would force out the possessing creature the way that it would usually force out your normal personality. Then they return to their jar, and your soul reasserts itself.

Zombimode
2013-01-24, 01:39 PM
Thank you for all the suggestion.
Yes, I thought on some form of banishment effect, but its typed as a construct.

Well, we have now solved the issue with a slightly unorthodox means: we killed the possessed NPC (before he could even act...) and then casted Revivify on him...

Killing NPCs. Is there a problem it can't solve? :smallsmile: