PDA

View Full Version : The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and Room in Rome

Jeivar
2013-01-24, 05:03 PM
I'm wondering what to watch this weekend and these two have caught my eye. I was hoping to get some opinions:

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Very Long Title:
I saw the opening of it recently and it piqued my curiosity. However, it's a whooping 160 minutes. Is it engaging enough to maintain one's interest for that long? I know it's not a shoot-em-up.

Room in Rome:
Is it just 100 minutes of fanservice, or does it have actual substance?

Thanks

Giggling Ghast
2013-01-24, 09:51 PM
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is a really interesting character study and features a great performance by Brad Pitt.

It's got some interesting things to say about the glamourization of outlaws for the supposed virtue of opposing the establishment. James is a paranoid, trigger-happy cutthroat, but he's made out to be a carefree Robin Hood-type in the stories about him, an image he feels trapped by. You even get the feeling he wants to be taken down.

But the film is long, the pacing is slow and the story drags on for far too long after James is actually killed. While Robert is undoubtedly the main character of the movie, nothing really happens after the titular assassination.

I ain't never heard of the other one.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-01-24, 10:03 PM
Room in Rome is softcore interposed with talky lesbian relationship drama shot bottle episode style in well a room. Very "art house" style stuff, not so much a plot as relationship videotaped.

How you would settle on these two in particular is beyond me.

comicshorse
2013-01-24, 10:39 PM
The Assassination of Jesse James..... is a great film IMHO. While it is long and leisurely paced it is a fine character study with excellent performances from everybody and a fantastic performance from Casey Affleck as Robert Parker

Giggling Ghast
2013-01-25, 03:55 AM
The Assassination of Jesse James..... is a great film IMHO. While it is long and leisurely paced it is a fine character study with excellent performances from everybody and a fantastic performance from Casey Affleck as Robert Parker

It's Robert Ford. The character's name is in the title. :smalltongue:

comicshorse
2013-01-25, 09:40 AM
It is, my fault for posting late at night :smallredface:

Raimun
2013-01-26, 11:10 AM
I wouldn't recommend The Assassination (etc.). At least it didn't leave any impression to me when I watched it. The movie wasn't bad but I don't think it worked as a whole.

Kindablue
2013-01-27, 12:14 AM
I think The Room is worth watching regardless of where you see it.

Mystic Muse
2013-01-27, 04:49 PM
I think The Room is worth watching regardless of where you see it.

Entirely different movie, Nemebro. Room in Rome doesn't have Tommy Wiseau in it. :smalltongue: