PDA

View Full Version : Oracles Multi-classing into wizard. Worth it?

abdima
2013-01-24, 07:18 PM
So, I'm about to start playing a campaign in pathfinder. We start at level 5 and I've decided that I'm gonna be an Oracle of the Dark Tapestry. That said, I really am tempted to throw some levels into wizard to get an edge on both arcane and divine. That said, is this worth it and are there any suggestions on optimizing this to something useful to my team?

Psyren
2013-01-24, 07:29 PM
Why not Sorcerer? That way you can use the same casting stat for both.

But I don't think it's worth it in either case - your spellcasting on each side will be delayed too much, and with spells, quality beats quantity.

Glimbur
2013-01-24, 07:31 PM
The problem with multi-classing out of casting, especially when you are also getting in to casting, is the Mystic Theurge problem. Think about level 8 (oracle 5/wizard 3), for example. You only have one standard action each turn, would you rather be able to cast a 4th level oracle spell; or have the choice of a 3rd level oracle spell or a 2nd level wizard spell? Also, oracle 8 gets you more mysteries and revelations, which might be nice.

You also want Cha for oracle-ing and Int for wizarding. It's possible to get away with an Int ~12 if you don't cast spells that give saves, but it will still split your focus.

In summary, it makes you less effective at casting spells to take several casting classes.

navar100
2013-01-24, 07:36 PM
Reasons not to:

Oracle Revelations are rather cool. Dark Tapestry I find is among the tops. Delaying getting them would be a shame.

Unless you're going to Theurge, multiclassing between two spellcasting classes hurts. You lose caster levels and not getting higher level spells until "forever" will be frustrating.

Divine spells are plenty. You get nice buffs and decent attack spells. You can wage in battle if need be. Oracles don't "need" arcane spellcasting.

If you're going to do it anyway:

It's ok to do so. Really. You're not committing some grievous sin not getting 9th level spells before level 20. Some people, colloquially speaking, really do need to understand this. Not having the higher level spells is not a catastrophe.

It might be easier to use sorcerer instead. You use the same ability score for spellcasting. You're not casting that many spells per day anyway. Might as well pick the few you know you will want to cast often and have more spells per day to do so. However, if you can manage decent Intelligence and Charisma wizard is fine.

Since you're delaying spell progression anyway you might as well go into Mystic Theurge prestige class. Spend feats on Extra Revelation for your Oracle half. If it matters, half of your non-Oracle levels stack with your Oracle level for purposes of Revelation abilities based on your Oracle level.

abdima
2013-01-24, 07:43 PM
Since you're delaying spell progression anyway you might as well go into Mystic Theurge prestige class. Spend feats on Extra Revelation for your Oracle half. If it matters, half of your non-Oracle levels stack with your Oracle level for purposes of Revelation abilities based on your Oracle level.

That's pretty much exactly what I was planning on doing. My real big issue was that huge delay in spellcasting, but you all do make a very valid point that quality is indeed better than quantity.