PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Dragon Fire Adept Lesser invo

Codenpeg
2013-01-24, 08:08 PM
On a 7th lvl DFA I only can get one lesser invocation and I'm torn between Draconic Flight (Good for keeping enemies at range so I might set them aflame)
Voracious Dispelling (Bye bye enemy magical effects)
and Walk Unseen (Invis always good for scouting)

I haven't started the game yet and don't have a good read on the GM.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-01-24, 08:59 PM
Draconic Flight, without a doubt.

Flight is a massive tactical advantage. You want invisibility? UMD a wand of invisibility. Let one of the dedicated casters handle the dispelling - IIRC, voracious dispelling is touch range.

UnjustCustos
2013-01-24, 09:06 PM
Dispell is long range. I would go that route myself and find other ways to be tactical.

Eric Scott
2013-01-24, 09:09 PM
I personally would go with Flight... the others are great and all but, neither of them can save you from falling... Invisibility is about as Meh as usual, and if you're flying they might not see you until its too late anyways... and the Dispelling really isn't as good as it sounds...

Invader
2013-01-24, 10:29 PM
Draconic Flight, without a doubt.

Flight is a massive tactical advantage. You want invisibility? UMD a wand of invisibility. Let one of the dedicated casters handle the dispelling - IIRC, voracious dispelling is touch range.

The exact same thing could be said about invisibility over flight. The difference is, if you have a wand of flight it'll last for 6 mins at least, if you use a wand of invisibility it only lasts as long as you break it.

You'll get much more mileage out of a wand of fly than you will out of a wand of invisibility.

Phelix-Mu
2013-01-24, 10:43 PM
On a 7th lvl DFA I only can get one lesser invocation and I'm torn between Draconic Flight (Good for keeping enemies at range so I might set them aflame)
Voracious Dispelling (Bye bye enemy magical effects)
and Walk Unseen (Invis always good for scouting)

I haven't started the game yet and don't have a good read on the GM.

I'd argue flight. The AoE nature of the DFA breath weapon means that an aerial angle on the battlefield may allow you to avoid hitting the other pcs, hit more enemies, and otherwise optimize your main round-to-round action of breathing all over the enemies. If you are playing more of a scout type, then invisibility is probably good.

Keep in mind, in a handful of levels, you can pick up Extra Invocation for an extra Lesser Invocation.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-01-24, 10:55 PM
The exact same thing could be said about invisibility over flight. The difference is, if you have a wand of flight it'll last for 6 mins at least, if you use a wand of invisibility it only lasts as long as you break it.

You'll get much more mileage out of a wand of fly than you will out of a wand of invisibility.

Apparently, we have very different playstyles.

I don't do much scouting with a warlock/DFA, so I've never actually picked either of the invisibility invocations. That, and all-day flight? Awesome.

Amnestic
2013-01-24, 11:02 PM
"None of the above" - Humanoid Shape is the superior option. It can net you flight, burrow, swim and a few tasty Ex abilities (like Stench) to add to your repertoire. It's easily the most flexible of the Lesser Invocations.

Snowbluff
2013-01-24, 11:50 PM
I don't do much scouting with a warlock/DFA, so I've never actually picked either of the invisibility invocations. That, and all-day flight? Awesome.

I wish there was a PrC that would let me progress both. :smallbiggrin:

UnjustCustos
2013-01-25, 12:00 AM
I'd argue flight. The AoE nature of the DFA breath weapon means that an aerial angle on the battlefield may allow you to avoid hitting the other pcs, hit more enemies, and otherwise optimize your main round-to-round action of breathing all over the enemies.

Emphasis, mine. That is what Endure Exposure is for. As long as you touched them with that you could use your breath weapon while performing CPR on them.

Codenpeg
2013-01-26, 10:46 AM
"None of the above" - Humanoid Shape is the superior option. It can net you flight, burrow, swim and a few tasty Ex abilities (like Stench) to add to your repertoire. It's easily the most flexible of the Lesser Invocations.

Yes I had skipped over it mistakenly. If I had access to all of those races it'd be perfect, however I'm probably going to need to check with the GM first.

Twilightwyrm
2013-01-26, 11:05 AM
Between those three I would most certainly opt for Draconic Flight, with the caveat that you may want to swap it for something else later, as you get an improved version later on.
However, I cannot help but note that DFAs get Humanoid Shape at this level. If you do not mind changing form, this invocation can gain you flight, or invisibility, or any number of things. There is some debate about whether this leaves you unable to use your breath weapon, but if your DM takes the reasonable interpretation, you should be able to. Plus, you know, all the other benefits from shape-changing.

Darrin
2013-01-26, 04:55 PM
Humanoid Shape:

Air Mephling, fly 10' (perfect). Planar Handbook.
Avariel, fly 50' (average). Races of Faerun.
Flyer Saurial, fly 50' (average). Serpent Kingdoms Web Enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/Serpent_Kingdoms_WE.zip).