PDA

View Full Version : How would this work exactly?

evil-frosty
2013-01-24, 10:00 PM
OK so in a bout of insanity I have agreed to DM a 7 man party which its ECL is between 23 and 24. I m the fifth DM for these particular characters, and well anyway I think I have a good idea that will be challenging.(it helps I have the most system mastery in the group as a whole) I'm going to be applying the 'tauric' template to kythons(BoVD), yes I am bending the rules here, DM prerogative. Anyway I wanted the other creature to be a hydra. Can someone tell me how this would work out? My issue I think is I'm getting lost at understanding what stays and what goes in the form of the hybrid.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-24, 10:04 PM
Which kind of kython, and which is the base, which is the "humanoid"?

Chilingsworth
2013-01-24, 10:16 PM
Ok, I'll assume the nastiest possible combination: the Slaughterking and the 12 headed hydra. Further the Kython will be the "base humanoid," and the hydra the "base creature."

I'll see if I can work up a statblock for you, but one thing that pops out immediately: the creature wont have 12 heads anymore. (Tauric creatures lose the head of the base creature.) It will have the hydra's ability to grow additional heads, though.

evil-frosty
2013-01-24, 10:21 PM
I'll see if I can work up a statblock for you, but one thing that pops out immediately: the creature wont have 12 heads anymore. (Tauric creatures lose the head of the base creature.) It will have the hydra's ability to grow additional heads, though.

See this is where I think I was itching my head at and got confused. And thank you for attempting a stat block at this monstrosity, I appreciate it. And there will be a few of those types around because you know they are 24th level.

My plan so far was to advance the HD of impalers and adult kythons then mix them with a probably an 8 headed hydra. And of course there would be normal kythons as well. And have a few buff slaughter kings around. The kythons are only a part of the adventure though.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-24, 10:28 PM
Ok, here's my best shot:

"Screw the Players that Made Me Run This" (SPMMRT)
Taruic Slaughterking Kython/ 12-headed Hydra

Huge Monstrous Humanoid (?)

30d8+150 (210 hp)
Speed: 20ft, Swim 20ft.
AC: 29 (-2 size, +1 Dex, +20 Natural) Touch 8, Flatfooted 28
BAB/GRP: +30/+44

Atk:

OK, at this point, I think the resultant creature might be worse than either a 12 headed hydra or a Slaughterking. I think you should try to find something else.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-24, 10:31 PM
Specfically, try adding the the multiheaded template (as many times as you wish) to regular kythons. There are some ancilliary templates presented with that one to make it even more hydralike.

*searches for his copy of Savage Species, finds it, finds Multiheaded template*

Yeah, that looks alot more managable. However, by the terms of the template, even a slaughter king can only have three additional heads Wait, if one is advanced to huge size (which it can do) it can have up to 11 additional heads. I suppose you'd want to advance the thing to the maximum level anyway, eh? OK, let me see if I can whip one up. It'll take awhile, though (and I have to stop if I get called away.)

TheMooch
2013-01-24, 10:47 PM
Ok, here's my best shot:

"Screw the Players that Made Me Run This" (SPMMRT)
Taruic Slaughterking Kython/ 12-headed Hydra

Huge Monstrous Humanoid (?)

30d8+150 (210 hp)
Speed: 20ft, Swim 20ft.
AC: 29 (-2 size, +1 Dex, +20 Natural) Touch 8, Flatfooted 28
BAB/GRP: +30/+44

Atk:

OK, at this point, I think the resultant creature might be worse than either a 12 headed hydra or a Slaughterking. I think you should try to find something else.

210hp? at ECL 23? Seems a bit low.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-24, 10:53 PM
OK, I'll be saving this periodically as I work on it. It's entirely possible this idea will also be too weak.

"SPMMRT Mk 2."
Elite Fiendish 12 Headed Pyro Lernaean Slaughterking Kython
Huge Abberation (Fire, Evil)

Hit Dice: 58d8+1160 (1425 hp)
Intiative:
Speed:
Armor Class:
BAB/Grp: +43/+71
Attack:
Full Attack:
Space/Reach:
Special Attacks:
Special Qualities:
Saves:
Abilities: Str 45, Dex 18, Con 50, Int 22, Wis 19, Cha 19
Skills:I'll let you chose these. It gets 366 skill points, though. Also has a +22 bonus to Listen, Search, and Spot checks (though the later two don't matter since it's blind.)
Feats: I'll let you chose these. It has feats appropriate for a 58 HD creature. It also has Combat Reflexes, Improved Intiative, and Multiattack as Bonus Feats.
Epic Feats: Again, let you chose these.
Eviornment: Wherever tasty PC's can be found
Organization: In Numbers Sufficent to put a hurt on some PC's, with minions sufficent to buy time to finish them off.
Challenge Rating:
Alignment: PC Eating
Advancement: --
Level Adjustment: You're Kidding, Right?

Chilingsworth
2013-01-24, 10:56 PM
210hp? at ECL 23? Seems a bit low.

That's part of the reason I stopped working on it. I was trying to produce a stat block for what the OP asked for. It became evident that such a creature would likely be worse than either of its base creatures, and would in any case be too weak for its purpose, so I stopped.

evil-frosty
2013-01-24, 11:04 PM
Thank you for pointing out Savage Species, for some unfathomable reason I did not think to look there for templates. As I am fluffing it, these Kythons are the results of the experiments of Mephistopheles. So I can pick and choose templates. Multi-headed sounds fun. And symbiote template(I remember someone posting a cool trick with this template) has potential to slap on a recurring villain.

EDIT: Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259833) it is.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-24, 11:26 PM
Hmm, looking at the creature I've started. I think it might actually be somewhat effective against your PC's. At the very least, it's a start. I'll work on it over the next day or three, or you can finish it and I (and I'm sure others) will check your work.