PDA

View Full Version : Scroll Scribing Question

Chilingsworth
2013-01-24, 10:01 PM
Hey Playground!

Ok, so in my current campaign, it's looking like I'm going to be the only crafter, at least for quite awhile. :smallsigh:

In any case, my character is a wizard/beguiler. We also have a cleric in our party. Acording to the SRD, item crafters can get the prerequisite spell or spells for items they craft from another spellcaster.

What I want to know is, is the type (arcane or divine) of scroll in such cases determined by the caster or the crafter? So, if I had the cleric help me make, for example, a scroll of lesser restoration, would it be normal scroll of the spell, or an arcane scroll of the spell (and thus only usable by dragons (or other arcane casters that get to add divine spells to their lists) or via UMD)?

Phelix-Mu
2013-01-24, 10:05 PM
Pretty sure it's by caster. Doesn't make much sense the other way around.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-24, 10:06 PM
Thanks, that's what I thought. I just wanted to make sure. :smallbiggrin:

KillianHawkeye
2013-01-24, 11:22 PM
Acording to the SRD, item crafters can get the prerequisite spell or spells for items they craft from another spellcaster.

This is true, but Scribe Scroll itself has more stringent requirements.

You can create a scroll of any spell that you know.(emphasis added)

Chilingsworth
2013-01-24, 11:31 PM
(emphasis added)

Dang. Oh well, guess my party will have to do without a supply of clerical scrolls. (I doubt the cleric has room in his build for scribe scroll, and any other ways to get it that I can think of (specific domains, dips in other classes) are also likely impossible for him. Then again, my DM seems to like doing wierd things with the crafting rules, so maybe he'll waive that point.
*shrug* Regardless, I'll mention it to him and let him decide.

Clistenes
2013-01-27, 09:34 AM
Dang. Oh well, guess my party will have to do without a supply of clerical scrolls. (I doubt the cleric has room in his build for scribe scroll, and any other ways to get it that I can think of (specific domains, dips in other classes) are also likely impossible for him. Then again, my DM seems to like doing wierd things with the crafting rules, so maybe he'll waive that point.
*shrug* Regardless, I'll mention it to him and let him decide.

Make the wizard create a wondrous item that grants the Scribe Scroll feat to its wearer, and give it to the cleric.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-28, 01:07 AM
Make the wizard create a wondrous item that grants the Scribe Scroll feat to its wearer, and give it to the cleric.

I'd love to (I'm the wizard, btw.) But I wont have craft wonderous item for three levels (level 9.) Also, I doubt my dm would let me make an item to grant a feat, other than any such items that have already been published.

ksbsnowowl
2013-01-28, 01:20 AM
(emphasis added)

Your supposed "more stringent requirements" are not requirements.

Note that all items have prerequisites in their descriptions. These prerequisites must be met for the item to be created. Most of the time, they take the form of spells that must be known by the item’s creator (although access through another magic item or spellcaster is allowed).

Deophaun
2013-01-28, 03:24 AM
Your supposed "more stringent requirements" are not requirements.
And your reasoning why this general rule overrides the specific rule of the feat is...