PDA

View Full Version : Hobgoblin fighter help

Blackhawk748
2013-01-24, 10:06 PM
Ok im gonna be playing a 1-20 campaign soon and i plan on building a Fighter. Now he's going to be religious, as he is a priest, and his goal in life is to form a guild to protect people, think Knights Templar, and i was wondering if there are any good feat suggestions or variant class features for this idea.

PS he is gonna be fighting with a Greataxe, and Throwing Axes

Urpriest
2013-01-24, 10:29 PM
First, is your DM being nice about Hobgoblin? Normally Hobgoblins have +1 level adjustment, so you can't start out as one at level one. They're not very powerful compared to other races with level adjustment though, so if I was your DM I'd let you play one at level one without the level adjustment.

Second, is there a particular reason why you want to play a Fighter specifically? The Fighter class gives lots of bonus feats, it's designed to allow for complicated feat trees and specific builds. If you just want to play a character who hits things with an axe, there are other classes that might be better choices. In particular, what alignment is your character/his religion?

Blackhawk748
2013-01-24, 10:51 PM
Im playing in Kingdoms of Kalamar so it isn't a standard Hobgoblin, slightly different than the MM version, and hes going to be the leader of a guild called the Iron Templars so he needs to be militant. and he is NG

Urpriest
2013-01-24, 11:03 PM
Im playing in Kingdoms of Kalamar so it isn't a standard Hobgoblin, slightly different than the MM version, and hes going to be the leader of a guild called the Iron Templars so he needs to be militant. and he is NG

Ah ok, Kalamar hobgoblins. I don't actually know the stats, but I trust Kalamar's love of hobgoblins enough to make them a worthwhile choice.

Getting down to business:

If you'd rather stick with Fighter and a Greataxe, you're best off with the Dungeoncrasher Alternate Class Feature from Dungeonscape, which will give you the ability to slam your opponents into walls for a substantial amount of damage. Ask your DM if you can also take the Zhentarim Fighter substitution levels from the web enhancement on this link (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a). While they were originally for Faerun, they make sense for any Fighter who want to be intimidating.

Barbarian can represent a holy frenzy just as well as a savage rage, and with a level or two of Fighter you can still wear heavy armor. Barbarian will let you deal more damage, especially with some of the nicer alternate class features available to Barbarians.

If you're familiar with Tome of Battle, Crusader and Warblade are both classes that fit your description very well. Crusader is the more devoted "tank" of the two, while Warblade is the more Fighter-like in its focus on weaponry.

At higher levels, consider the Divine Crusader prestige class (Complete Divine) which can give you higher level spells in a domain offered by your deity. Also consider Pious Templar (Complete Divine as well), which can give you some Paladin spells and Mettle, a useful defensive ability.

Blackhawk748
2013-01-24, 11:21 PM
The build im going for is kinda feat intensive. i plan on taking, Shock Resistant, Undying and Tough as Nails all in KoK, as well as Leap Attack, Power Lunge, and obviously Power Attack, and i would like Leadership, so i dont think i can use Dungeuoncrasher

ngilop
2013-01-24, 11:22 PM
I going to second Ur-Priest here and recommend Divine Crusader, Pious Templar and toss in these classes as well as the War Priest which is easy to get into with fighter 4/Cleric 2. The inflame ability of the Warpriest is pretty nice as well as the crazy spell like abilities he gets.

there are probably others that I am forgetting but those 3 are what to me fits your concept.

to whihc I feel War Priest does teh best if you go all 10 levels (o characcter level 16) you get BaB 15. spell casting of a 7th level cleric and all those nifty abilities, and then you can spend 4 more levels on Fighter if you so chose.

Blackhawk748
2013-01-24, 11:34 PM
War Priest is pretty sweet and i will definitely consider it.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-01-25, 12:42 AM
Two possibles for you -

1- Darguun Mauler (Races of Eberron): treat dire flails and spiked chains as martial weapons, and receive a +1 to damage rolls if you don't move in that round. Also lets you treat regular, heavy and dire flails (as well as the spiked chain) as the same weapon in regards to the WF/WS lines and Improved Critical.

2- Stonedeath Assassin (Races of Stone): Probably won't fit as well, but hey - it's an (alignment free) prestige class that has a per-requisite of [goblinoid].