PDA

View Full Version : A Whale of an Encounter

Palanan
2013-01-24, 10:53 PM
This is a DM-only thread, so my players need to click that back button for all they're worth.

So, the folks in my seafaring campaign are about to have a close encounter of the cetacean kind, and I'm trying to find stats to approximate what I have in mind.

In fact, the encounter won't be with modern whales, but a pair of amphibious proto-whales haunting the coastal shallows, along the lines of Rhodocetus or Georgiacetus. The idea is to attack the party's boat as they're approaching shore, let them fight their way past the "killer whales" and onto the beach--and then send the proto-whales charging up the beach after them.

Trouble is, I'm not sure what stats would be appropriate here. The party is fifth level, currently weakened by disease. Using the stats for a giant crocodile seems like a bit of a pushover, while an ichthyosaur might be overkill. The proto-whales will be relying on their bite attacks, and I don't know what other amphibious biters would be appropriate.

In short, I'm not sure what else would work here. Any ideas?

Tvtyrant
2013-01-24, 11:43 PM
Orca's are CR 5, so you could always re-purpose those. You could also go with giant crocs and then advance them a few HD to make them stronger.

jaynus006
2013-01-24, 11:46 PM
The giant croc stat block should work well for you as a base, what are you feeling is making it too easy? If it's HP you can just increase it. If you're worried the encounter just won't be interesting enough throw in some tricks. Give them spring attack so they can make hit and run attacks, while underwater that should be all sorts of fun. Also with improved grab you could give them a special constrict ability, some extra dmg every round. Swim in bite/grapple and swim away crushing the poor guy. Give the tail slap reach. Using improved grab they can crawl out onto land and try to drag the PC's back to a watery grave.

Frathe
2013-01-24, 11:49 PM
Maybe a refluffed orca (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/whale.htm) (CR 5) given a land speed? You could have a pod of them if you need a higher Encounter Level.
Edit: Ninja'd

nedz
2013-01-25, 06:37 AM
Well you should probably use Hippos, but they're not in the SRD.
Which is odd since IRL they kill more humans than any other wild animal.:smallsigh:
There are stats around for them somewhere.

hamishspence
2013-01-25, 07:28 AM
In Sandstorm to be precise.

Fouredged Sword
2013-01-25, 07:35 AM
Dire Hippos

TuggyNE
2013-01-25, 07:44 AM
What on earth is up with all the spoiler tags? The players should be thoroughly gone by now. :smalltongue:

The Dark Fiddler
2013-01-25, 08:07 AM
Which is odd since IRL they kill more humans than any other wild animal.:smallsigh:

Mosquitoes? :smalltongue:

Anyway, I'm not really sure why you think two giant crocodiles would be underwhelming, especially if they're already weakened by disease. They seem like a pretty potent threat, with good damage output and decent (and automatic!) grappling. Maybe, MAYBE, a bit frail?

Palanan
2013-01-25, 09:06 PM
Okay, thanks for the ideas. I can't believe I didn't think of an orca, much less a pod of them.

As for the spoiler tags....

I was trying to spoiler for length, but hey, I'll run with it. :smalltongue: