PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about 4e

LordConcrete
2013-01-24, 11:15 PM
Do MBAs qualify for Hybrid Ranger Quarry?

Tegu8788
2013-01-25, 12:44 AM
No.

Hybrid Strikers only do their extra damage on the powers listed. That means, for a Hybrid Ranger, no Quarry damage for MBAs, RBAs, racial powers, item powers, background powers,... They only do it on powers you get because you are a Ranger.

ArcturusV
2013-01-25, 02:24 AM
Of course the exception being if you had Ranger powers which function as Melee Basic Attacks, Ranged Basic Attacks, etc.

Thajocoth
2013-01-25, 02:02 PM
If you build a Ranger|Rogue around immediate actions, you can actually deal both your quarry & sneak attack every round, effectively doing more damage than either separately, but the situations to do it are slightly harder to set up & you have to guess on your turn which power(s) you'll be able to use as an interrupt to use the at will from your other class.

So while you're more limited on how you can deal your quarry damage, you can still use it to great effect.

Alan_Pehnereas
2013-01-25, 02:31 PM
With the Ranger|Rogue combo, you can also use a normal attack from one class and a minor-action attack from the other to deal both damage instances in one turn.

For example, you could use Twin Strike to deal both your weapon's damage and your Hunter's Quarry damage, and also use Low Slash to get in your Sneak Attack damage.

Doing so, you'll need some kind of light blade in your off hand in order to be able to deal SA. This will free up your HT for something you find useful.

Edit - Now I want to see the viability of this build with Cunning Sneak and PMC Warlock for both a boon and the Shadow Walk feature. Hmn...

BlckDv
2013-01-25, 02:38 PM
With the Ranger|Rogue combo, you can also use a normal attack from one class and a minor-action attack from the other to deal both damage instances in one turn.

For example, you could use Twin Strike to deal both your weapon's damage and your Hunter's Quarry damage, and also use Low Slash to get in your Sneak Attack damage.

Doing so, you'll need some kind of light blade in your off hand in order to be able to deal SA. This will free up your HT for something you find useful.

Edit - Now I want to see the viability of this build with Cunning Sneak and PMC Warlock for both a boon and the Shadow Walk feature. Hmn...

Don't remember the name right off but you can get a Rogue feat that lets you use SA with one handed military heavy blades; which would be a very nice feature if you were going TS Ranger.

Tegu8788
2013-01-25, 03:22 PM
A Ranger|Rogue built around Minor/Immediate actions can do lots of damage, but as said, it requires more to get it to work. Str/Dex Thri-Kreen can do very well under this format.

But back to the OP, you cannot use your Quarry damage on anything that isn't a Ranger specific power. If a Ranger power can be used as an MBA or in place of an MBA, then it is still a Ranger power, and as such qualifies for your Quarry damage.

For example, the attack Throw and Stab. The first attack with the thrown weapon could use the Quarry damage, but the second melee basic attack would not.

Marauder's Rush and Fading Strike (if you have Hunting Style) would qualify as examples of a time you would use a MBA and still get to use your Quarry damage.

Alan_Pehnereas
2013-01-25, 04:34 PM
Don't remember the name right off but you can get a Rogue feat that lets you use SA with one handed military heavy blades; which would be a very nice feature if you were going TS Ranger.

This is a true.

Kurald Galain
2013-01-25, 05:25 PM
Note that the Ranger's extra damage feature isn't hunter's quarry. The ranger's extra damage feature is getting twice the static mods on every attack.

NecroRebel
2013-01-25, 08:01 PM
Note that the Ranger's extra damage feature isn't hunter's quarry. The ranger's extra damage feature is getting twice the static mods on every attack.

If you're going to call that a striker damage feature, you should also call their high chance of at least one hit per round due to rolling attack rolls twice (on different attacks, but still). That's the Avenger's main striker feature, after all.

...This demonstrates why Rangers are considered the best striker in the game, incidentally; they effectively have 3 striker features working for them :smallwink:

ArcturusV
2013-01-25, 08:29 PM
Ranger, best striker in the game eh? And to think my party's ranger begged me to switch to a Warlock because the Ranger was "Boring" and didn't dish out enough damage for him. :smallbiggrin:

huttj509
2013-01-25, 09:03 PM
Ranger, best striker in the game eh? And to think my party's ranger begged me to switch to a Warlock because the Ranger was "Boring" and didn't dish out enough damage for him. :smallbiggrin:

Boring? Absolutely. When it often comes down to "do I want to use an encounter? No, just twin strike."

Low damage...?

Alan_Pehnereas
2013-01-25, 09:51 PM
Boring? Absolutely. When it often comes down to "do I want to use an encounter? No, just twin strike."

Low damage...?

1.) Twin Strike
2.) ...?
3.) Profit.

Kurald Galain
2013-01-25, 10:04 PM
Ranger, best striker in the game eh?
Absolutely, and from the very start. That's because doubling up on static mods is way better than adding +5d6 sneak attack dice. Yes, rangers are often considered boring to play, but if they don't dish enough damage you're doing something wrong with the build.

Tegu8788
2013-01-25, 10:09 PM
As I understand it, in general, a static mod is better than a die, and more smaller dice are better than a single large one. I'm sure there are exceptions, but the more numbers you can throw at the enemy, the quicker it gets dead.

Leolo
2013-01-26, 04:54 AM
The exceptions are only small - if your bonus damage on a single attack is larger than the average damage the ranger get's from his second attack.

But at later levels and especially if the ranger actually tries to get those nice static modifiers it becomes nearly granted that this will not happen.

It's very simple to build a strong ranger. (another point why they are considered boring)

neonchameleon
2013-02-04, 07:38 PM

Alternatively: "Do I want to use an encounter? Sure. As an interrupt. My standard actions are Twin Strike."