PDA

View Full Version : Burst, Emanation, or Spread?

sabelo2000
2013-01-25, 01:15 AM
Okay, after 10 years and a million times reading that page in the PHB, I am still confused about the distinction between an Emanation and a Spread. Can anybody please explain this to me in small words?

Sorry if this is a repeat question that's answered elsewhere, I also can't figure out how to Search this forum.

ksbsnowowl
2013-01-25, 02:30 AM
Burst: effect radiates in straight lines from a point in space. Will not affect those with total cover (think an escaping prisoner ducking behind a wall to evade the search lights)
Bursts are generally instantaneous. (So really, the search light above is instead a giant flash bulb).

Emanation: just like a burst (straight lines, can't defeat cover), but the effect continues for one or more rounds (this is the search light that continues to shine).

Spread: effect originates from a point in space, and goes EVERYWHERE in the area, even defeating cover between yourself and the point of origin (think of a canister of tear gas filling a room; it still affects you even though you are hiding behind a couch).

Chilingsworth
2013-01-25, 02:32 AM
Burst: effect radiates in straight lines from a point in space. Will not affect those with total cover (think an escaping prisoner ducking behind a wall to evade the search lights)
Bursts are generally instantaneous. (So really, the search light above is instead a giant flash bulb).

Emanation: just like a burst (straight lines, can't defeat cover), but the effect continues for one or more rounds (this is the search light that continues to shine).

Spread: effect originates from a point in space, and goes EVERYWHERE in the area, even defeating cover between yourself and the point of origin (think of a canister of tear gas filling a room; it still affects you even though you are hiding behind a couch).

Great analogy! I'll be sure to use this next time it comes up in my group. :smallbiggrin:

ksbsnowowl
2013-01-25, 03:00 AM
The thing to remember with emanations going around corners: you have to measure the twists and turns against the radius. It doesn't necessarily continue out to the edge of the radius "as the crow flies."

sabelo2000
2013-01-26, 12:24 AM
Thank you, I needed it explained orc-style!