PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Heros Renewed IC

Jib
2013-01-25, 01:52 AM
Here is were your story begins, or should I say continues, but first let us look back at how it started.

Seven-thousand nine-hundred and eighty-two years ago the War of Insanity ended. This savage and dark chapter of mortal history is a nearly forgotten mark on history, a mark representing the greatest evil and the greatest good.

For twenty-three years the mortal world battled against an enemy they barely understood, and could barely combat. The Orcs, vile beasts of the underworld, came crawling to the surface, laying waste to all in their path and taking no prisoners. No mortal race was left un-scarred by this war, no family went without loss. The ancient forests of the Elves were turned to ashes as far as the eyes could see, their ancestral homes laid to waste, almost the entirety of the culture destroyed in only twenty-three years. Many of the Dwarven strongholds were taken by the Orcs and their foul allies. Some of the fortresses so desecrated that they are taboo even to this day, only by retreating into their greatest mountain strongholds did they survive the terror. The Gnomish cities of wonder were crushed, torn down and the great mechanisms they had labored tirelessly on for thousands of years turned to scrap. Only by the grace of their Dwarven cousins did they survive, taking to the mountains with them. Haflings fled in terror as the rolling lands they held so dear were turned to quarries and camps for the Orcish war machine, the Haflings used a slave labor, or food. The humans fared worst of all in this war, their population decimated, all of their lands razed, and left fleeing into the few last vestiges of safety in Jirros.

In a last ditch effort to stem the impending doom, a single group of great warriors, hardened by the years of brutal war, entered one of the Deep Roads leading to the underworld. They fought their way through a seemingly endless mass of Orcs, and worse, to finally find themselves standing in Infernus. Ascending the Black Tower of Bavel, they faced the greatest evil the world had ever seen, and this was were their last correspondence was heard. What they did inside the tower, what they faced, and what they sacrificed, was never known. What was recorded in the ancient histories, the terrible overlords of the Orc armies suddenly vanished. And with them also the order of the armies of evil. Orc turned on Orc, Devil on Devil, and soon they decimated their own ranks. With the remaining forces of Jirros pushing them like a cornered animal, the evil fled into the mountains, and back down into the Deep Roads from whence they first poured. The mortals destroyed the paths, butchered the remaining evil, and took the the arduous task of rebuilding a destroyed world.

The Heros were never heard from again, they never returned from the suicide mission which had saved the world.

And here is where you come in, you, are them.

The last thing you remember before opening your eyes on the cold white floor is a great draconian visage before you, a writhing mass of thick hair surrounding a obscured, sinister face. And a pair of yellow eyes, piercing your heart and soul. Even now, sitting in safety on the stone floor you feel fear clutch at your heart like a great iron fist.

You look around, and see dozens of men standing around you, and many more laying still on the ground. Blood runs from the eyes and mouths of the standing men, and pools about those who have fallen. A strong scent of brimstone fills the massive hall, mixed with more gentle smells of flowering plants. The men are all wearing the same grey and white robes with a vertical stripe of gold running down their fronts. The room in which you lay is massive, easily a hundred long steps from you to the wall, and massive fluted columns rising to a ceiling that high from you. The dome over you is inlaid with gold, images of great warriors fighting strange sick creatures, robed men holding the sick and dying in their arms. At the center of the ceiling is a great sphere made from what appears to be while marble with gold veins running through it. This orb glows radiantly with a clean white light, filling the room with warmth. As you look down you see that the floor upon which you rest is crafted from the same stone, the gold veins as thick as your fingers.

You hear the sound of wood on stone, and turn to see a man, much older than all of the others around him, come forward into the circle where you reside. You also notice that you are not alone in the circle, your companions lay around you, coming to just as you are. The man stops a few paces from you all, and leans heavily onto the thick, dark staff he holds in his right hand. His robes are different from the rest, dark grey and simple, with no gold and no ornamentation on them. His grey beard trimmed at about a hands length seems to sparkle ever so slightly. He furrows his blue eyes for a moment, the thick eyebrows over them moving about as if ever so slightly alive. He pulls back his hood to reveal a clean shaven scalp inlaid with golden tattoos in geometric patterns.

"Are you well" He whispers, though it still thundered across the room with power.

J-H
2013-01-25, 05:06 PM
Awakening to the smell of brimstone, surrounded by the appearance of death, power, and wealth, Michel turns into a translucent blur before vanishing from sight until he can find out what is going on.

Manifesting Temporal Acceleration to get a free round of actions, using Psionic Dimension door to teleport up to the top of one of the columns (move action), phasing into it and out of sight (I'm incorporeal) and Hiding.
(standard action) Manifesting Energy Wall (electric) around the party to protect them and give them some concealment until we know what's going on.
Hide [roll0] (not sure if I really have gear at this point...).

Jack_Simth
2013-01-25, 07:31 PM
Gem looks around, and replies to those assembled: "Other than not having a clear idea of how I got here, yes."

Looking around the ritual chamber under Arcane Sight, to see what can be surmised.
Spellcraft: [roll0]
Knowledge(Arcana): [roll1]
Knowledge(Religion): [roll2]
Knowledge(any other Core knowledge): [roll3]
Lore (Cloistered Cleric - Functions as Bardic Knowledge): [roll4]

Jib
2013-01-25, 09:30 PM
Michel

You find a flaw in your plan as you appear at the top of the fluted column, it is built to the ceiling and leaves no where to stand or hold. You will need to make a DC 28 Reflex and DC 35 climb check to prevent falling. (High climb because its smooth carved marble with flutes. High reflex because you just teleported to empty air.)

Gem

Your eyes are overwhelmed by the magical aura of the place, the swirling energies of powerful divine magic rolling across the room like waves. From the alignment of the energies you can immediately some of the complexities of the spell that was just cast. It was a powerful ritual spell that sapped the life force of many casters. While some of the divine symbols in the room seem familiar to you, they are also alien in many aspects. One thing you also immediately realize is that the man in dull robes feels like a proxy of something infinitely more powerful. You ascertain from the flows of energy in the room that you are on the mortal plane, Jirros. The last memories you have are of stepping towards some terrible black tower, and a viscous visage of draconian design.

More robe clad men and women rush into the room. They begin to roll over those on the floor, and assist the bleeding as best they can. You all notice that the few who attempt healing magic give up quickly as no results are forthcoming. The darkly clad man who had stepped forward looks around the room, leaning weakly upon the staff, by now many more of the original men have fallen to the ground, some even lay in convulsion.

Re'ozul
2013-01-25, 09:59 PM
The being stands tall, its arms disprportionate to its body. Taller than the others it instantly has greater view of its surroundings. It can smell its comanions. Impossible, they are dead. It can smell others, despicable creatures. It can smell their life flowing out, their fetid breath causing its mind to reel from disgust.

Its body, malformed and rebuilt by the corruption feels alien to its mind. The same can be said vice versa. There is a disconnect there. Yet the connection to its power still exists. Assuming that it is here due to the broken ones' actions it decides to deal with them first. Perhaps allowing them to recover will remove the stench.

Attempting to access its power, it despairs. Where have its arms gone? Where there were once ten, now are only two. How...
No, there are ten. They are within it. No longer bound by material means. Interesting.

The being moves its arms wide, a grotesque mockery of a humanoid cross. For a moment its stays so, only for eight masses of coalesced shadow to erupt from its back. They arch through the air, coming to rest near the main hands, four more for each side. Momentarily they blur with speed as they inscribe sigils of arcane power into the air, channeling energies with precision near unheard of.
After a few scant seconds, the motion ends and the collections of sigils float in the air before collapsing into a bright nodes of light and a form emerges from each.

Fullround action:
Two minimized Summon Monster VII (2*(7-2) levels) to call a Bralani Eladrin frome each. (Minimize applicable as I am summoning from SMVI list which would normally give me 1d3 creatures - minimized to one)
Using Verstaile Spellcaster to substitute 2 4th level slots for each 5th level slot. Resulting total cost: Four 4th level slots.

dantiesilva
2013-01-25, 10:25 PM
As Dravik Stonebeard comes around in the room he looks around warhammer in hand. Who are you and why have you distributed us from our sleep? He asks looking around at all assembled.

[roll]1d20+17]/roll] Diplomacy
Michel add +7 to your climb check and + 14 to your reflex from my arbitor abilities.

Jib
2013-01-26, 01:18 AM
Posted to wrong side, not thinking straight.

Jack_Simth
2013-01-26, 01:45 AM
Gem takes a moment to concentrate, sending up a silent prayer for guidance, and then takes a look to see what ails those who have fallen.

Auto-passing Concentration check to cast defensively, and using Dweomerkeeper's Mantle of Spells to cast Divine Insight. True Archmage class ability removes the cap on the effect (as well as all components, making it impossible to identify what spell I'm casting), so I get a +25 Insight bonus to a skill check of my choice - which would be Heal (to ID what's wrong, specifically, and what might be done to help), in this case, making a final modifer of +45 to the check (+19 Wis, +1 Luck, +25 Insight). Taking ten on the actual Heal check, for a result of 55. Should hopefully be enough to tell me what flavor of healing effect would be useful (if any) and if this is something they're expected to recover from on their own.

HandofCrom
2013-01-26, 04:25 AM
Kosmiel rises from the ground, looks around while spreading his wings, and immediately takes to the air, looking around and trying to understand what is going on.

"What is the meaning of this? What has happened here? Speak, mortals." His voice is musical and pleasant, contrasting with his forceful demand.

Knowledge rolls
Religion: [roll0]
Arcana: [roll1]
Planes: [roll2]

cd4
2013-01-26, 05:58 AM
The Guardian rises to its feet and says rather mechanically Systems functioning normally. What happened here? before spotting the men on the ground. Seeing that magic isn't working he heads over to the nearest person and tries to aid them.
Heal check: (First aid): [roll0]

Jib
2013-01-27, 01:17 AM
The old man waves one hand nonchalantly at the group.

"Oh calm down now, does a room full of half dead priests seem that threatening to you all?"

He taps his staff on the ground to punctuate his words.

"What can you all remember before arriving here? Do you remember whom you all are at least? I do not feel like being the teacher of full grown children." The mans voice is not harsh, just a bit blunt.

CD4

The man to which you attempt to tend is already dead, the life has fled his body.

Hand of Crom

You can immediately tell you are on the mortal plane from the distinct attributes of the general energy, and the ways it intertwines with you and your surroundings. You can also tell that an immensely powerful Divine Ritual has been performed in this room very recently. The eddies of divine power still premiate the room.

Jack Smith

You look on the injured men, and can tell that he injuries have been caused as backlash from a powerful ritual spell. The damage to their souls and bodies is far beyond healing, and only death will dispel either.

DantieSilva

The old man seems more interested in calming your allies at the time, and the priests are focused on easing the pain of their comrades.

Doc_Pippin
2013-01-27, 05:55 AM
As Gabranth's eyes slowly flutter open, he attempts to let out a final battle cry, only to have it catch in his throat and fumble out as a series of coughs. While he begins to realize the sudden change in scenery. "Where..." he begins in a dry raspy voice.

"Calm yourself," a familiar voice says calmly. It is Uriel, the greatest of his followers. He had apparently awoken some time earlier and had been trying to understand the situation in it's entirety, and all to common reaction on his part. "There is much death here, it may be best to stay low and wait for more information," his voice is monotone and logical.

"Where am I!" Gabranth yells, ignoring his companion's well thought out and practical advice.

cd4
2013-01-27, 06:22 AM
Depends on why we came here. The last thing I remember was fighting a great evil. We were all working to defeat it but then we appeared here.

Activate Paladin's Detect Evil and scan the room starting with the old man.

Jack_Simth
2013-01-27, 10:39 AM
The wooden woman replies to the old man "Yes, I remember who I am. Last thing I remember was that I was heading out to fight the rather powerful rat who was commanding all those orcs, and seeing what I thought was his draconic face, then showing up here as we stepped through the door."

Oh, and I built a summary sheet for use in combat:
Gem (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=504695)
Medium Construct [Augmented Humanoid](Shapechanger, Dragonblooded, Air, Incorporeal, Good, Lawful, Archon)
Alignment: NG, Init: +14, HP: 512/512 + 24 temp, fast healing 4
Saves: F/R/W: +47/+64/+70 (+4 vs. Poison), AC: 74 (T 58 FF 58)
Miss chances: 50% Displacement, 50% Incorporeal, BAB: +20/+15/+10/+5
Ranged Touch: +48, Melee Touch: +48 (Incorporeal), SR 26
Mocement: 40, Fly 100 Perfect, moves freely through earth and stone, and incorporeal to go through other objects, Move action teleport at 85 feet 1/round
Senses: Spot: +21, Listen +21, 4*Low light vision, Darkvision 240, True Seeing, blindsight 60, Detect Secret Doors in 60 feet, Darkvision penetrates magic darkness, half normal distance penalty to spot, blindsense 120 feet, See Invisibility, Arcane Sight, Read Magic, Tongues
DR: 10/Magic, 9/Evil
Area hazards: Opponents in 10 feet take -2 attack/saves, Greater Anticipate Teleportation 120 feet
Misc: +1 attack as per Haste, Armor is Ghost Touch, weapons are good-aligned, find traps as a Rogue, Air Mastery, Constrict, Construct Traits, Evasion
Spell-based bonus feats: Multiattack, Blind Fight, Power Attack
Attack routine: +48 100 ft std action Lightning, ranged touch, SR applies (CL 24) 12d6; free action 90-foot fire, 12d6, SR applies (CL 24) (costs 6 points of AC for the round to use)
Immunities: Disease, wind effects, thrown weapons, projectile ranged attacks, Death Spells, Magic Death Effects, Energy Drain, Negative Energy Effects, Undead Special Attacks that deal ability damage or Drain, Freedom of Movement, ability damage and drain, poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, critical hits, flanking, Everything except bludgeoning, Fire, Cold, Electricity, Acid, Sonic, Undetectable Alignment, Mind Blank, Bludgeoning, ranged touch attacks, lack of air, mind-affecting effects, nonlethal damage, fatigue, exhaustion, any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects, or is harmless), death from massive damage, hunger, thirst, dispelling, disjunction, antimagic fields, counterspelling

Re'ozul
2013-01-27, 12:37 PM
So, did my Bralani come through? I didn't want to assume since magic seems to be wonky.
If so they'll attempt to SLA cure serious the fallen ones.

dantiesilva
2013-01-27, 12:38 PM
As I hear the old man speak I put away my warhammer. Calm down friends. I can tell that these people mean us no ill. Now why have you called us here from our battle with this great evil? If we do not stop it all of you will be dead. Dravik says not understanding why they were called away from the battle. Could this man be Farther he wondered as he looked on at the old man and continued to try to calm down his fellow members.

Jack_Simth
2013-01-27, 01:25 PM
Gem looks at the Bralani trying vainly to heal the sacrificial casters, and says "Save your spells. What they're suffering is backlash from rather unhealthy magic. The damage is to their souls and bodies; far beyond healing, and only death will dispel either."

HandofCrom
2013-01-27, 05:05 PM
Kosmiel calls upon his power to try to detect the presence of unholy magicks. Presumably failing to find them, he lands softly before the old man and states,

"I am well, but I do not know what has happened. Who are you? Where is the Hierarch? What madness has led you to attempt this reckless ritual?"

EDIT: I use detect evil.

Jib
2013-01-28, 12:43 AM
"I am glad to see that 8 millennium hasn't affected your respect for elders." He grumbles "Your battle was, or is, I don't really enjoy the logic of tampering with time, but its over, either way. You didn't kill him. You managed to buy us some time right before his nether closed in on you. We just plucked you out of the way of harm, and what ever else he was planning on. I assure you, it would have been much less pleasant than me, I am quite nice to be around when not trying to explaining temporal distortion to people a tenth my age."

He twirls one of the fringes of his robe around his hand for a moment. One of the still standing priests slowly walks to him, whispering in his ear. This priest has a harsh face and glares at the companions as he confers with the elder. The elder waves a hand at him dismissively, then focus's on the group again.

"Drag the dead out, prepare the funeral pyres for them. Mercy kill anyone who will not survive." The old mans eyes seem hard for a few moments while giving out the kill decree. "Then now, how do I bring you all the way up to date on what is going on, 8000 years could take a very long time to explain. How about I just highlight the important part. He is breaking free once more, the Throne of Chains has begun to rumble, and his minions have been seen once more. Do you remember the path to his Throne?"

J-H
2013-01-28, 07:41 AM
Michel rises within the column to the roof of the building and pops through it to look around. Assuming it does appear to be the future (ie very different from what he recalls), he'll dismiss his lightning wall and descend back to the ground so that he can rejoin the conversation in a round or two.

Jack_Simth
2013-01-28, 08:01 AM
Gem shrugs at the question of remembering the route, and replies "Does it matter if we remember the route? Eight millennia is a long time. In that time, rivers can change their courses or open passes in mountains; volcanoes can give rise to new mountains or permanently seal passes; earthquakes can close tunnels for the inhabitants to rebuild elsewhere; forests can burn down to fields, and fields can grow into forests. There really isn't much in the way of reliable landmarks on that scale of time. We could all remember it perfectly and yet effectively have no knowledge on how to get there. I wouldn't trust our answer to that question, were I you."

dantiesilva
2013-01-28, 10:10 AM
At the question Dravik replies I remember my homeland, and the way around it, but that is all.

Jib
2013-01-28, 02:23 PM
Michel

Michel rises through the roof, above he finds himself atop a large marble dome, the light of morning glinting across the polished surface. You remember vaguely once visiting a temple built upon a shelf at the base of Iconoton, but you do not remember it covering the miles it does now. Carved from the stone of the mountain are the foundations to dozens of towers, other smaller domes, and a complex of the bright marble buildings spanning easily several miles in all directions. New shelves cut into the mountain to support building, down below the valley is now filled with a bustling city.

"As for the Dwarven homelands, they don't change much for anything" The old man focuses on Gem "But a few of the landmarks in your original path will most likely be the same. Knowing the original route should help you find a new route to him."

HandofCrom
2013-01-28, 02:36 PM
Kosmiel is overwhelmed, and drops the overbearing demeanor.

"I remember... the hordes of orcs and fiends were endless, and we could not lose a battle, but there were too many and we were losing the war. I remember the tides of madness pouring across the land, inflicting all mortals with mindless fury beyond their comprehension, and I remember the true fear I felt in knowing its source. I remember slaughtering through the dark hordes to push through to their antipodal lairs, and then... I do not know. Eight millenia? What happened on the surface? What happened to us?"

Doc_Pippin
2013-01-28, 07:31 PM
"Calm yourself," Gabranth says crassly as he rises from the floor. "If not then simply stay behind," his words are cold and without emotion. Now standing and attempting to regain his bearing he looks at the miser, "What of my Knight, how fairs the Orchid?" for the first time since arriving his words carry an air of compassion.

As his charge ranted toward the others Uriel stood and began assisting in the merciful and grim task of the other priests.

Jib
2013-01-29, 03:28 AM
"Orchid?" The old man muses for a moment. "My knowledge of the world is limited, we are not allowed to spend to much time in it directly, for every minute I am here his son also gets that time. These treaties are what keep us from simply eradicating everything. I do believe there is an embassy from a descended order of the Orchid. I don't think they allow the Orchid to be worn anymore for some reason."

The old man looks up to the ceiling for a moment. He reaches into his robes and pulls out a simple disk of lustrous silver, but too pale to be the valuable metal.

"We must make this quick, I have little time left before I will be leaving. To tell you what happened to the surface, the evil fled back to the deep warrens. after that they were pushed even further when the paths to the other side were destroyed. We haven't seen them for nearly as long as we haven't seen you. As for what happened to you, all I know is you didn't kill him, or else we wouldn't have this issue."

Jack_Simth
2013-01-29, 07:23 PM
Gem blinks, and says "Then you should probably delegate the briefing to a historian who already knows what's needed; after all, it's not like you didn't give enough information out already to convince quite a few people to knowingly die for your cause ... or maybe just point me to a good stock of books with the information we'll need. I can read fairly quickly when I need to."

She can. Persistent Miracle(Scholar's Touch (Races of Destiny page 167, also in a Preview (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20041210b&page=2) that's still on WotC's website) lets her read at a rate of 1 book/round (yes, the entire book) for quite some time.

Jib
2013-01-29, 11:50 PM
"It seems this body has reached its limits." He quietly speaks before blood begins to run from both of the eyes. He hands the disk to the priest who had whispered in his ear earlier.

"Assist them with everything you have" he says while looking at the scowling man, then turning back to the heroes "You must find the Chained King again, and do anything you can. I don't know how much longer is left, but we caught it much earlier this time. We were un-prepared last time."

With these words the divinity flows out from the man, and blood begins to gush from his mouth as well. His voice, now weak and dying, gutters out a last few moans before he falls to the ground as well, the back lash from the spell killing him. The priest he handed the disk to stands, slightly dumbfounded, staring at the body.

dantiesilva
2013-01-30, 09:36 AM
Dravik not willing to wait any longer looks to the remaining priest. Well boy you heard the god. Show us a map of our path we can do the rest. and with that Dravik puts his hammer away and waits for what he has asked for.

Re'ozul
2013-01-30, 04:13 PM
Finally allowing itself to relax even slightly, the being slouches forward a bit. The distasteful directness of the divine is gone now.
It had not dared to atempt conversation with that being in the room. After all, the corruption had changed it tremendously, it did not know what the divine forces thought of it now.

It attempts to speak, only to realize that its mouth is gone. The synethese of sense that is now its connection with the world making it less necessary.
Its capability with forcing its thoughts into reality is new to it, so the first try comes out broken.

*Wish I try discern area?*

Effectively asking wether I should attempt discern location. Probably won't do much good but we can try.
Think of Operator's 'talking' as it sometimes appears to work in the youtube series. He just stands there but for some reason, not telepathy no sound, you know what he attempts to convey.
This is actually an ability of the pariah class, usually you need checks for that, but I auto-succeed on them unless you want me to check for nat-1s.
Spellcasting will also not include actual talking for verbal components but slender-static.

Jack_Simth
2013-01-30, 07:32 PM
Gem shrugs, and replies to the twisted form "Depends: Are you willing to lose the whole 'element of surprise' possibility this early?"

Re'ozul
2013-01-30, 09:00 PM
The being tilts its head to one side.

*The one that was here, will his visit here have gone unnoticed? This ritual that warped time itself to bring us here, will it not have cast ripples?*

Jack_Simth
2013-01-30, 09:18 PM
Gem shrugs, and says "It may have; there's no telling, really. For some odd reason I can't shake a slight suspicion that we didn't actually encounter The Adversary the first time around, and that the reason The Enemy vanished for so long is that it got caught up in the same temporal wash we did, but dropped out 'early' as The Abomination wasn't one of the targets... but that's neither here nor there, and doesn't really matter to our course of action, now does it? Basically, though, anything we do that targets The Slaughterer directly has a chance of tipping off That Beast. If you think it worth the risks, I don't have much in the way of objections, I suppose. Surprise isn't exactly my strong suit anyway."

J-H
2013-01-30, 10:08 PM
Having descended to rejoin the group, Michel speaks for the first time.
"I'm glad you know that much, because I feel like I'm missing some of the information you have. Maybe my incorporeality interfered with the spell they used to resurrect us.

We should equip ourselves for what's ahead. Magical armor, wands, weapons, and such - after all, our equipment didn't come back with us.

After that, let's head towards the part of the Path we do know, and see what it looks like as we approach. We can scry if we need to, or scout by more mundane means."

dantiesilva
2013-01-30, 11:54 PM
I agree with Michel, the longer our presence goes unnoticed and the deeper in we get the better our chances of finishing him off for good this time is. Shall we?

Jib
2013-01-31, 12:07 AM
The priest standing at the side of his fallen elder manages to compose himself. Turning to the group he still wears the hard look on his face, though he has let the scowl pass. He carefully tucks the disk into the recesses of his robes. by now most of the corpses have been pulled from the room, more people start to enter. Men and women wearing simple robes with shaven heads, and carrying buckets of water with brushes begin the task of scrubbing away the countless stains and streaks of blood running across the floor. The last few priests carry out the last corpse, two of them coming to stand on either side of the one standing before the group.

The priest with the disk has long black hair, pulled into a tight tail at the back of his head. His sharp features and cold eyes do little to create a warm feeling around him. He stands close to six feet tall, with long delicate hands and fingers. While he stands proudly and with power, his body seems delicate and not use to hardship.

"My name is N'Lam, with the passing of the elder I am now the head of the four orders. I will do what I can to assist you, but understand we are also beginning the preparations for a war against these beasts as well. You are at the Temple of the Roots, or the Church of the Roots, it goes by both names. I am not as versed in history as some others of our order, but I know this Temple was a integral part of the world even when you walked the world ages ago. Here in the temple we have access to a great deal of knowledge, and the city below us in the valley of the mountains is one of the major trading hubs in the world. I believe we will be able to pull together at least something to help you all. As for maps, the paths in between are not known, and generally are forbidden once they reach a certain depth. As for maps of the other world, all travel is forbidden to that place, you would know more about that side than most in this world. I was prepped for assisting you by the elder before this ritual was started, he had a few ideas as to finding a way to the other side, as well as some ideas as to what you would need to discover before traveling there." N'Lam's voice is crystal, and seems to echo around the room un-naturally. He folds both of his hands behind his back as he looks upon the group, his gaze holding on the Operator for a moment. "As for ripples in the energy of the worlds, that is guaranteed. The elder and I believe that these waves have already been read. There is no way to disguise a spell like this one, and the Chained One is more than capable of discerning what has happened. I doubt surprise will be part of the equation here."

He turns to the priest on his right, giving him a short order to fetch maps of the temple, of the city, and of the world currently.

Jack_Simth
2013-01-31, 07:35 PM
Gem nods at N'Lam's words, and simply waits patiently while N'Lam's fellow priests fetch the maps... but doesn't take the bait implied by the 'he had a few ideas as to...' segment of the speech, letting someone else do so.

Doc_Pippin
2013-01-31, 07:45 PM
As the grim task is completed Uriel rejoins the group, silent at first he observes the ideas of the others before piping in. "Perhaps I may be of some help," he says timidly, "I remember little of the horrid journey, but I believe I would be capable of shifting us directly into the correct plane," he stops for a moment as if not sure of himself, "It may just allow an element of chaos amongst their ranks if we arrive so quickly." With this last statement his voice carries a subtle tone of determination. In truth his mind was fighting off the terror of re entering the literal hell of this war, but it was his purpose, it was why he had be brought back, twice now.

As the group chatters away Gabranth's mind slowly wanders away. Long conversations were never his fortay. He perferred to live in the moment, more literal than most would think, to him normal actions appeared slower as if everything was in a strange viscous liquid that limited its speed. Thus many things caused him to loose interest. "Oh these talks are nothing but a waste," he finally half-shouted an opinion into the talks, "It is a simple matter, raise the banners, sound the horns, and gather the men, we march to war!" His words while slightly foolish carried a bravado that urged one to believe him possible of such a simple war. "Let the Orchids bloom once more upon the battlefield no matter of time could weaken their hearts towards the battle call," his strange rant seemed undirected now as he seemed to simply be talking to himself. "So let it be decided, tonight we rally the forces and in the dawn Uriel shall open the passage to the battle, from there it should be a simple matter!" At this point in his rant he seemed to be pushing for a decision without consulting his allies, an unfortunate habit he did often.

Upon hearing his ward's brash statement Uriel simply covered his face with a had as if to hide his shame.

Jib
2013-01-31, 11:26 PM
N'Lam looks at the group for a few moments. He covers his face with one hand and chuckles ever so slightly. The emotion in his face makes his features warm up for a few moments before he drops his hand back behind him.

"If you remember correctly the first time you had to descend through the earth, as this time you will have to as well. Planar travel to the underworld is very difficult even for those with Divine spirit. The Gods only made the barrier more powerful after your victory over the chained one so long ago."

N'Lam waves off the other priest, telling him to have the first meet them in his study. He turns and takes a few steps toward the door before looking over his shoulder to the group.

"Follow me, my quarters are nearby, and I already have the required articles you will need to begin hunting for access to the underworld."

He starts striding, his gait broken with a slight limp on his left side. His boots also clank with a metallic sound on the ground as he walks.

Jack_Simth
2013-02-01, 07:55 AM
Gem follows as indicated, quietly noting "Well, even if we could go straight there... he's probably moved, and likely trapped the area we last met anyway."

J-H
2013-02-01, 08:52 AM
Michel glides along after the cleric, still disconcerted and mulling over what just happened.

Jib
2013-02-01, 05:19 PM
N'Lam leads the group down a gilded hallway, the marble reflecting many bright orbs of light scattered about the ceiling, floating in mid-air. After taking a turn he stops in front of a large carved Red Oak door. He pushes the door open to reveal what looks like a library. Several tables matching the reddish hue of the heavy door are scattered about. Built into the south wall sits a large fireplace, several logs as tall as men crackling away. The room appears to be thirty yards long, and ten wide. The side of the room that the group has entered into is set up as living quarters, several large chairs about the fireplace, and a small bed on the opposite wall. The rest of the room is filled with shelves lined with books. More of the small orbs of light float around the room, giving it a white but warm light.

"As for the Chained One moving, there is a very good reason we call him the Chained One. That and I don't know if his real name is even remembered anymore, it hasn't been uttered out loud since long before the first War of Insanity." He takes a seat in one of the chairs close to the fire, and motions to a table sitting in the middle of this end of the room. On the table are stacked several books, stacks of papers, and a few scrolls that appear to be not paper, to say the least. "The elder had me scour the libraries for a few months before the ritual was cast. We needed to pull up as much as we could on him, and that place. Seeing as we have one of the largest libraries in the world, even I expected more than that. Even much of the knowledge on that table is forbidden to mortals, for that matter I can only read a small portion of it. The elder said you would have special permisions to read it, but even you are not allowed to divulge any of the information you find in it to anyone, not I, nor any other on this planet. Those sins are locked away for good reasons."

Re'ozul
2013-02-01, 06:20 PM
The being moves forward towards the stack of information.
Without any warning, arms burst out of its back again, corresponding hands coming to rest on books and scrolls.
An near-silent otherworldly screech breaks forth from its form as its hands glow.

Casting ten instances of "Scholar's touch (http://dndtools.eu/spells/races-of-destiny--81/scholars-touch--3038/)".
This allows Operator to gain solid knowledge as if he had read the materials once with attention. If more than ten books/scrolls are there, he will repeat until finished.

J-H
2013-02-01, 08:30 PM
Michel approaches the table, sitting "in" a chair out of habit, even though only his hands are substantial enough (at the moment) to touch anything. He picks up the top scroll and begins to skim it, his keen mind bent on finding anything of use.

dantiesilva
2013-02-02, 12:32 AM
Dravik seeing his allies who are much wiser then he picking up the books he accepts that he will be informed what he needs to know, all he cares about is getting the balance back in order and so lends his aid to those willing to accept it.

+18 to all knowledge checks to anyone who has to make a roll. +19 if its religion

HandofCrom
2013-02-02, 12:37 AM
Kosmiel starts picking through the books. He smiles briefly to himself when he finds works he had penned, forbidden, or both, and tries to find applicable works to get a general understanding of the world today, events of the last eight millenia, and an tenuous understanding of the underworld factions and how the Chained One and its mad servants relates to the rest of the fell denizens.

For knowledge, I have +33 on arcana, planes, religion, and history.

Jack_Simth
2013-02-02, 01:15 AM
Casting ten instances of "Scholar's touch (http://dndtools.eu/spells/races-of-destiny--81/scholars-touch--3038/)".
This allows Operator to gain solid knowledge as if he had read the materials once with attention. If more than ten books/scrolls are there, he will repeat until finished.You realize one casting will do, don't you? Not that it matters too much, what with it being a 1st level spell.

Gem patiently waits for the others to be done; given the forbidden nature of the texts, and knowing that while some such laws are enacted due to things being merely embarrassing to those in power, many also have solid reasons, she decides against rapid absorption methods until after she has observed the effects on others.

cd4
2013-02-02, 10:51 AM
The guardian simply waits, he knows a little bit about religion but does not want to read any forbidden texts.

Doc_Pippin
2013-02-04, 09:25 PM
His pride wounded as his plan is discredited and rejected Gabranth follows the others in a sullen, immature silence. His lust for the glorious battle spurned by their procedures. As the others converse Gabranth simply mutters to himself and begins running his finger tips across the forbidden texts.

'Perhaps he lacks the wisdom of the others, but he was no fool,' he thought to himself as he sought some form of knowledge that would allow himself to prove his competence.

Scholar's touch using the powers of the Scrolls of Uncertain Provenance & the book of worldly memory + Lore of the gods & dantiesilva's bonus

[roll0] Knowledge Arcana
[roll1] Knowledge Religion
[roll2] Knowledge The Planes
[roll3] Knowledge History

Jib
2013-02-06, 01:27 AM
The books are a collective history of the numerous encounters with the Chained One and his minions, in lesser forms than war. They tell of countless attempts by the Chained One to subvert the Gods and take control of the Heavens. There is also general histories of the world, how the world recovered from the War of Insanity, and how it has grown to what it is now.

The writings tell of the Mad Soldiers whom you remember from your first trek into the underworld. Sick beastly creatures who take a twisted humanoid form. Covered in small black scales as hard as the eldest of dragons scales, gifted with sick talons that protrude from the back of each wrist and from just above the ankles. It tells of these creatures being incredibly intelligent, though thoroughly insane. They seem to derive their purposes directly from the Chained One, without any need for outside communication, and are loyal to him beyond anything else in the known world. It also tells of these beasts easily infiltrating the heavens itself, being able to travel anywhere but the most holy of places without fear of being discovered through combinations of powerful magics, and innate abilities to modify their form and appearance. Through history several assassinations in the heavens and on Jirros have been attributed to Mad Soldiers slipping up from the underworld and attempting to set the stage for another great war.

Within the volumes there is also mention of a spell that could allow a person to pass into the underworld freely, as if it was any of the other planes. The spell was originally crafted by Allistor for the purpose of retrieving information from the underworld for his archives. It was passed on to one celestial who would travel for the Librarian God and gather knowledge from around the cosmos, though the manuscript also says that the celestial gatherer was lost to the Grey Void between the outer edges of the underworld and Jirros.

Within the volumes also lie several locations of particularly large caverns under the surface of the world, caverns that while having been blocked off from the surface world, are still within several hundred feet of open cave systems. The same books that speak of the caverns also speak of the cousins of Elves and Dwarves who live within the caves between the world of the living and the dead, evil heartless races that served the Chained One in the first great war, and the terrible monsters of the earth that they forced from the bowels of the world to devour entire cities and drag them down into the deepest reaches. Ten cities were lost during the last few months of the War of Insanity to these monsters, who's only warning sign would be severe earthquakes just before the city sank into oblivion.

A volume on the universal cosmology is set in with the group. It describes the current interactions of the separate planes. The underworld is completely isolated from all planes by powerful divine barriers to prevent magical entrance, and the only way to the underworld is to physically travel through the bowels of the planet to find its surface. The four elemental planes remained relatively the same, except that after the War of Insanity something called Warrens came into being. Warrens being smaller, and much more exclusive, sub-planes of the elemental planes. Warrens have been known to align to mortals from time to time, allowing strange and wondrous magics to be wielded. Infernus is the name of the underworld, within the Infernus are several planes, including the Abyss, The Black Tower, and Hell. Jirros is the Mortal plane, consisting of the Surface world were mortals reside, Abalon the tower that leads to the heavens, and The Golden City (The Golden City is actually many Fortresses, and several Cities above the mortal plane). Outside of this dimension reside the four elemental planes, the negative and positive planes, and the Astral Plane. The Astral Plane is like the bridge, and binding, that holds the planes together and allows travel between them. Finally there is the Grey Void, a great bank of clouds that extends out from the place were the water and magma from the worlds of the living and dead meet as they fall from the edge of the world. This Plane is unique in that it was never meant to be, and created itself.

One of the volumes within the stacks is slightly different from the rest though. It is an ancient book with pages made from what feels like silk, but has aged better than much of the leather or paper of any of the other books. As you skim through the information of this book you find immediately that it is a record of the lost. A list of every person who died during the War of Insanity, laid into the bindings with powerful magic to allow every name to be recorded for future generations to know the true extend of the Chained One's evil. Within this book also lie your names.

With the knowledge of these books you will be able to make history checks and geography checks as if you knew the world. It helps negate the time gap a little bit and bring you up to date, as much as books can.

Gabranth

You find several references to the Orchids through the histories contained in the books. You also find that the entire order was at the brink of self destruction around 3200 years after your disappearance due to crippling corruption and greed in the higher ranks, it is because of this fall that the Orchid is no longer used as a rank or symbol within the Knighthood, because those Orchids were the men that nearly started another war across the world for power and money. You also find, that the ones who crushed them during this time of failure were the Dwarven Thanes, who marched from their strongholds to protect their mines by the hundreds of thousands.

Operator

You place one of your many hands onto a black leather bound tomb. As you do you are struck by a powerful vertigo that weakens your legs and leaves you feeling nauseous. You also for a moment see what looks like a beast with four great spider like legs, upon which sits the torso of a man, with the head that appears almost draconian. What instills the most fear in you, are the burning yellow eyes, filled with rage unfathomable to you, like a rage with no beginning and no end. You were the only one to be so struck as you touched the book.

J-H
2013-02-06, 06:55 PM
"I think we should try the caverns... if they are trying to get here, we may well be able to track one of their invasion paths back, rather than having to dig far ourselves."

Jack_Simth
2013-02-06, 07:43 PM
Gem considers, nods, and says "Yes, that sounds sensible. We should be able to teleport while still on this plane, so basically we'd just need someone to scout out one of the caverns enough to get everyone to teleport down there, or find one of the actual invasion paths. I've got the ability to pass through earth and stone unhindered; is there any who would accompany me in case of ambush, or should we risk one of the direct invasion paths, along a line they'd expect people to try, and risk the ensuing defences?"

HandofCrom
2013-02-06, 09:00 PM
"I believe there is wisdom in a frontal assault. The orc already has a foothold on Jirros. This must be corrected. We can lead the vanguard of a righteous crusade to engage them. In the process, we can take prisoners to find targets critical to their hordes such as supplies, warlords, and shamans behind their lines we could strike ourselves to disrupt the invasion. I believe we could leave our forces well fortified and the enemy in disarray before we reach the underworld. We would need to carefully select our efforts so we can accomplish such a task with haste, of course."

Jib
2013-02-07, 02:48 AM
N'Lam looks up at Gem.

"Prudence when entering those known routes is most likely a very good Idea, even here in the Temples where our priests are at their mightiest, we would lose many if a single Mad Soldier was to appear. It is very likely that if an orchestrated attack is occurring, there are Mad ones with the legions. Those monstrosities are on the verge of godhood themselves, and not bound by the same rules."

More Books

One of the tomes on the table simply feels ancient. The book looks as if it has weathered since the beginning of time, if not longer! Within the books are what seem like mostly the insane rantings of a mad man, stories of a family of gods happily eating dinner around a fire. Stories of two fathers, both with two children, and of one of the fathers killing the others wife. The man grieves his wife then butchers the others wife, devouring her in the process because of his anger and suffering, and turning into a monster for it. One of the children of the man who devoured the others wife was named Lern'Ati, and was also driven into insanity and cruelty by the death of his mother, choosing to follow his father on the path of evil. Yet another story speaks of two powerful men sitting at a table, playing chess with tiny people they created from ash, water, mud, and clay to make the game more interesting.

A separate tome in the group speaks in detail of the path leading to the Golden City above the clouds. It tells that a person must first climb the shining tower of Abalon and come upon a city built to it. This city is named Haven, for being a Haven to many lost souls who took the trek to the heavens to bring peace to their lives or souls. From here a person would have to make their way to one of the great fortresses floating on a bank of clouds that circle Abalon, and request permission from a ruler to open the gates of the tower leading further up. Atop this stretch one would enter Hearth, the great city of light, the city in which the Father God sleeps contently as his son and daughter care for the world.

cd4
2013-02-07, 01:17 PM
The guardian thinks for a moment then says: Well Gem, my abilities work best in close quarters and would work well in the tight constrains of a tunnel so I could do quite well at protecting you. However I have no way of moving through the earth and I am not that silent so I will probably be detected.

I did notice a third option but it is rather risky. There is a spell that will allow us to teleport into their territory but we have to find the person who knows it. Assuming that they are even still alive after vanishing in the mists.

Jack_Simth
2013-02-07, 07:40 PM
Gem considers, and says "Well... if you're willing to come, I can correct your inability to pass through the ground without too much trouble. If we give it a day, I can also stop the noise issue... " Gem makes some funny movements with her fingers

Drow Sign Language:Do you know sign?

Re'ozul
2013-02-08, 04:38 PM
The being once more tilts its head as it seems to mentally process something only it could see. It then looks towards Gem and the Guardian.
The arms sprouting from its back continue their perusal of the books. Its main arms however return to its side as it leans forward slightly and the static surrounding it becomes noticeable once more, the discordant noise nonetheless somehow aiding in conveying the being's intentions.

*I was created as an answer to armies. Tight spaces are not my chosen terrain in my primary form. While said form can be altered it is generally not my intention to do so. I am capable of moving through stone merely as a function of destruction, removing the obstruction as I advance.*

Jack_Simth
2013-02-08, 07:54 PM
Gem examines the odd being a moment, and replies "I am reasonably confident I have a spell that can grant you the ability to pass through stone and earth without compromising your combat ability... provided you permit me to do so, of course."

Re'ozul
2013-02-09, 12:15 PM
*An acceptable solution. Of what form would such manipulation be? Would it modify our physical cohesion or allow us to transcend into the half-space next to the purely physical?*

Jack_Simth
2013-02-10, 10:27 PM
Gem shrugs, and says "It is a matter of tweaking your form with a few tiny details I discerned when i briefly studied on the elemental plane of earth. The changes themselves are hardly noticable... and shouldn't impact your ability to fight... but they will permit you to move in harmony with earth and stone, letting you pass through the natural forms of such with ease. With a bit of focus, I can even make it last all day... for a handful of people ... if they are willing. The forced alteration of someone's form is not to be done lightly."

After getting their consent, Gem proceeds to arrange to cast her spells... taking a moment to pull a jug of sand out of her backpack, concentrate a moment to shape the sand into a gauntlet, which she then proceeds to cast a spell on... and then she casts another and taps the bizzare one and The Guardian. Afterwards, she puts the gauntlet back into the jug, and the jug back into her backpack, and asks. "So: Are we ready to go seeking an empty tunnel to Teleport everyone to?"

Deleted the prior post, added to this one, to avoid a double-post.

Actual mechanics:
Pull out a jug of Shapesand (Sandstorm), form it into a gauntlet (auto-pass Wis check; takes ten on the craft check for a simple weapon, and passes that without a roll). Casts Ghost Touch weapon (Spell Compendium) on the gauntlet (spontaneous conversion thanks to Dweomerkeeper's Mantle of Spells, burning a Clerical Dispel Magic), then casts Xorn Movement (Persisted via True Archmage ability) on the bizzare one and The Guardian. Then controls the shapesand back into the jug, and puts the jug back into her Handy Haversack. Casting defensively always. Oh yes: And no verbal, somatic, focus, or material components thanks to True Archmage (although the get out of material components has a 1k cap - so no free True Resurrections, sorry). So the spells and effects can't be identified while they're being cast (no observable components, so you're stuck with the DC 20+Spell Level "Identify a spell that’s already in place and in effect" clause, as you don't get a roll while she's casting).

J-H
2013-02-10, 10:47 PM
Michel nods. "If they know we're here, and we have nothing further to learn here, we should go. They may not expect us to move so swiftly."

cd4
2013-02-11, 02:27 PM
Indeed lets go. The Guardian replies.

Jack_Simth
2013-02-11, 09:27 PM
Gem nods, checks the maps in the library, and sees about identifying a good candidate area to go searching for underground tunnels to their target destination, casting a quick prayer for divine guidance in doing so, and then turning to her companions and asking "Do you both have your own teleporation?"

Almost said "final destination", there. What roll(s) would be needed here? Using Divine Insight on it(them), whatever it(they) is(are).

HandofCrom
2013-02-12, 02:06 AM
"I can move myself whenever I desire, but no others. Please, give me a few minutes to make some final preparations, and I shall be ready."

Kosmiel has an acolyte lead him to a private cell where he can perform his bindings, and returns after completing the rituals.

Binding checks
Zceryll (DC 25): [roll0]
Orthos (DC 35): [roll1]
Ipos (DC 26): [roll2]
Dahlver-Nar (DC 17): [roll3]

Jib
2013-02-12, 03:44 AM
N'Lam smiles as the group comes to a conclusion about their course of action. He stands up and shuffles about in a container on the mantle of his fireplace, pulling forth a small silver circle.

"This is a relatively basic magical device, it should allow you to converse with me as long as you remain on Jirros. Should you travel outside of the mortal plane it will not be powerful enough to contact me, but it should help until you get yourselves sent to hell, figuratively speaking of course" He chuckles at his own joke as he holds out his hand with the circle on it.

Kosmiel

Kosmiel is led by one of the acolytes waiting outside the doors to a chamber down the same hall as N'Lam's quarters. The room is a simple stone room measuring about fifteen long steps along both walls.

Gem

As Gem invokes Divine Insight, one of the maps on the table light up. The world it shows is similar to the one you all left so many years ago, the large Pangaea continent dominating the center of the world, with a mountain range leading from one edge of the world, through the seas, up and onto the land, and finally to a large range that takes up the center of the continent. At the end of the range leading from the edge of the world to the center you see several small dots of light begin to glow. By the maps estimates these dots are within fifty miles of the worlds edge, and are scattered about the mountains. (Consider it a bonus to your geography check to find tunnels.)

Re'ozul
2013-02-12, 08:26 AM
The being tilts its head in what appears to be thought before you experience its non-verbal communication again.

*I am capable of moving in non-time, yet over greater distance it is not without error.*

Translation:
I have lots of low level teleports (the dimension X line of spells) but only normal Teleport, not Greater.

cd4
2013-02-12, 12:19 PM
I can teleport 50ft once every four rounds and 10ft twice per day but nothing further than that.

Maneuver: Shadow Stride (50ft) as Crusader (4 round refresh) and Anklets of Translocation. (10ft)

Jack_Simth
2013-02-12, 08:20 PM
Gem sighs, and says "So transportation poses a few difficulties, then. Not insurmountable... Operator, are you up to playing ferry for those who don't do long distances? I can travel instantaneously over large distances myself, but touching others for the purposes of transport carries some complications due to a few of my defences. Regardless, though, those of us who are on the scout team should get going...."

We were a group before we did this, so I figure introductions aren't overly necessary

Knowledge(Geography), burning a 2nd level spell slot on Divine Insight (Dropping a Close Wounds spell): [roll0] to pick a good spot. Note: I have one rank in all the Core knowledge skills - basically just enough to qualify as Trained so that buff spells such as Divine Insight work. All of the Core trained-only skills, other than Profession, have at least one rank. I've uncapped Divine Insight, so while I bleed spell slots pretty quickly to pull it off, I can pretend to have full ranks in most skills when needed.

Jib
2013-02-13, 03:44 PM
Gem

You finally decide on a location near the center of the mountain range, were the waters of the sea do not rise up to engulf the land very often. The area also, from your readings, seems to have flat ground instead of being simply mountain sides like much of the other areas around it.

Jack_Simth
2013-02-13, 08:31 PM
Gem points out what her spells told her, and says "Well, I have my pick for a place to look for tunnels; if anyone else wants a go, they're welcome to it; after all, we'll need other places to look if the first doesn't pan out." Gem gives everyone a bit of time to comment, should they choose to. After a suitable wait, she teleports herself to the selected target area, just below the ground's surface

Archon subtype, gained via spell, includes self+50 pounds of equipment greater teleport at will as a supernatural ability. It seemed handy.

Also, I deliberately put in a specific point in the post for others who make rolls to pick other spots for later tries (or, I suppose, this one if someone wants to show off their big modifier). I suspect we do want to keep people mostly together for this, though.

HandofCrom
2013-02-15, 11:01 PM
Kosmiel nods in agreement and proceeds to naturally remanifest at the selected location.

I use my archon greater teleport.

Re'ozul
2013-02-16, 03:46 PM
Considering the risk, the being inundates itself against most natural conditions. It then sprouts arms again from its back offering them to those that cannot reach the destination on their own in zero-time.
With a focussed burst of static noise, it disappears.

Resist Energy against all types (so resist 30 all).
fullround to refresh spells.
Then teleport everyone who needs/wants it hoping for a clean ride.
Appearing underground as well unless that is a problem for someone.

Teleport mishap roll: [roll0] - damn it, of course that had to happen

cd4
2013-02-17, 06:38 AM
The Guardian takes hold of one of operator's arms and joins in with the teleport.

Jib
2013-02-19, 12:11 AM
The group who went with the Operator imidiatly notice something is wrong. They are in water. To the north of them is a jagged shoreline that quickly ascends up into mountains, to the south east and west is only water as far as the eye can see.

You are all swimming now, unless one of you can not (Warforged?)

Gem and Kosmiel re-apparate on a flat surface, the volcanic rock under Gems feet crunching slightly. Around them rise jagged peaks and sheer cliffs of the mountain range they had looked at on the map. They are standing on a shelf a third of the way up one of the impassible rises. They see a small black opening leading into the side of the mountain just a little bit up from the shelf they are on.

J-H
2013-02-19, 07:35 AM
Michel floats up into the air, and attempts to figure out how far away they are from their intended destination.

cd4
2013-02-19, 11:50 AM
The Guardian tries to tread water:

Swim check: [roll0]

As the water looks calm from the description The Guardian activates his phoenix cloak to fly on the surface of the water.

Re'ozul
2013-02-19, 02:27 PM
No outward change in its demeanor, the being grants itself the ability to fly and floats above water.

*The fact that the others do not appear to be here, makes it probable that the jump was diverted by a miscalculation. I apologize. Shall we attempt the jump again?*

Fly on self (and guardian if he expresses the wish)
Another teleport roll if the others agree: [roll0] - much better

J-H
2013-02-19, 07:53 PM
"Certainly."

cd4
2013-02-20, 04:09 PM
The Guardian says Indeed, hopefully your targeting is better this time.

The Guardian decides to refuse the fly spell as he has his own flight.

Jack_Simth
2013-02-20, 06:21 PM
Gem glances around to see if there are any obvious opponents nearby, then takes a moment to examine the ground that managed to crunch under her normally-incorporeal foot.
Senses if applicable:
Spot: [roll0], Listen [roll1] (half normal distance penalty to spot, if they're in play, thanks to Dragonsight spell)
4*Low light vision
Darkvision 240 (penetrates magical darkness as well, thanks to the Ebon Eyes spell)
True Seeing 120 feet
blindsight 60
Detect Secret Doors in 60 feet
blindsense 120 feet
See Invisibility (unlimited range)
Arcane Sight
Read Magic (don't expect it to be immediately relevant, but you never know)
Tongues (Ditto)

Looking around to make sure nothing seems immediately threatening, then examining the ground for special properties - Gem is normally incorporeal thanks to the Ghost Form spell, so gravel that crunches under her incorporeal foot is going to be very interesting and have a lot of rather useful applications for her - especially in the quantities that are implied by it happening when she teleported to what is (for purposes of the mineral content of the ground, anyway) a random spot in the middle of nowhere.

Applying the same senses to the ground as to checking everything else, of course; additionally, a few skill rolls about the ground:
Spellcraft: [roll2]
Knowledge(Most): [roll3]
Knowledge(Arcana): [roll4]
Knowledge(religion): [roll5]
Search: [roll6] (and can detect very high DC traps or magic traps... although magic traps are redundant what with the Arcane Sight)

Jib
2013-02-20, 08:57 PM
As Gem begins to search the area the Operator and rest of the party appear close to them, landing softly on the ground.

Gem notices small veins of a sickly green metal running through the gravel, and upon further investigation many of the larger rocks around the area. The material appears to be Orachirrilium. The metal is particularly hard and strong metal, and very difficult to shape and work with. While being harder than steel, the metal is most known for its three major attributes, it will re-assume its form if bent, it will bend instead of break unless under extreme stress, and it will nullify magics in direct contact with it, or suppress magics with a long term effect. Examples of this would be, a fireball colliding with a shield made of Orachirrilium will simply dissipate without exploding, or a person using a fly spell who attempts to come into contact with this metal will begin to fall until the item is release. The main limit to the use of this metal is the difficulty in procuring, processing, and crafting with it. This metal is used by the Dwarven Thanes to equip their personal guards to allow them defense against magic users. This metal can not be moved through portals, or used by beings of a magical nature.

This also means it can not be moved through in magical natures, nor seen or scryed through.

Jack_Simth
2013-02-20, 09:36 PM
Gem steps up off the ground, and then her eyes glow, and a blast of lightning leaps from her eyes to the rocks on the ground while she watches the effects.Stormrage grants a ranged touch Lightning attack for the duration as a standard action - 1/2 caster level, True Archmage PrC removes the caster level cap - it's persisted at caster level 24, so 12d6 lightning damage. This specific action is to test whether the True Archmage's ability that makes Gem's spells immune to antimagic fields and dispelling also lets her spells continue around this material.

Jib
2013-02-20, 09:50 PM
The lightning dissipates upon contact with the ground, not even so much as moving any of the gravel. There is a slight smell of ozone left over.

The fabric of magic is entirely undone upon contact with the metal, this also means the metal can not be enchanted in any way.

J-H
2013-02-20, 10:20 PM
Michel bends over and attempts to put one of his incorporeal hands into the ground.

Jack_Simth
2013-02-20, 11:15 PM
Gem thinks for a bit, gets out some Shapesand, forms it into a rod, and sees about poking the rocks with it.Shapesand = Alchemical, not magical. Stopping to check and see if that crumbles or not.

Jib
2013-02-21, 11:29 AM
Gem prods at the ground with the rod, pushing the gravel about. The metal does not seem to react with the rod in any way. Michel presses his hand against the ground and feels solid surface, impassible no matter how hard he try.

Another note on the material. A person wearing said armor can not be magically healed.

Jack_Simth
2013-02-23, 12:13 AM
Gem sighs, shrugs, concentrates to cast a spell, and then turns the Shapesand rod into a masterwork Tower Shield, which she then straps to her arm.

Casting Divine Insight for the Craft check so it can be Masterwork, and pulling out more jugs of Shapesand as necessary; she's got a lot.

Gem considers, and says "Well... can't just teleport past this, now can we? Guess we're getting through the old fashioned way...." as she pulls out a bit more Shapesand, and builds herself a shovel, which she trades out for a pickaxe as necessary, and gets to work digging.

Curious quirk of this gunk: Gem's incorporeal, as is her equipment (and thus, the Shapesand items). However, as nearly as I can tell, as the incorporeal equipment hits the ore, it becomes corporeal at the contact point, letting the equipment move the ore.

Re'ozul
2013-02-23, 03:01 AM
The being tilts its head and adresses Gem.

*Digging is not truly necessary. I can percieve a cave-like entrance some way up the incline.*

Jack_Simth
2013-02-23, 05:19 AM
Gem pauses a bit, considers, and says "Ah, but the obvious entryways are usually guarded. The front door is one of the places where most of the security goes. Through the ground a ways to scout, dispel the anti-teleport wards a little deeper in, and then we can simply skip the first layer or two of defence."

Re'ozul
2013-02-23, 06:23 AM
*Yet we know not of the depth we would have to dig. Precious time could easily be lost. Further it is not guaranteed that our efforts would meet up with a prexisting tunnel.*

cd4
2013-02-23, 06:27 AM
Perhaps the gods, who know everything, could tell us which direction we need to dig in. Does anyone have commune or similar prepared?

J-H
2013-02-23, 08:37 AM
"How long will it take to dig past this? If this green stuff is just pebbles, there must be larger slabs around here... possibly underneath. It could take days without the ability to use Stoneshape or anything like that on it."

Jack_Simth
2013-02-23, 05:18 PM
Gem pauses for a moment, shrugs, and says "Communing is limited, as you need to stick to yes or no questions to avoid overloading your mind with the response. I was actually planning on clearing a small spot enough that things won't interfere with magic, then seeing about Binding ... or more likely, building... a Xorn for their ability to locate things through the ground, as well as Dire Badger for the loose stuff. Maybe a Thoqqua if we run across a solid plate of the stuff. Once we're past the ore, here, Xorn Movement can take over. But I suppose we can try the front door, so to speak."

Re'ozul
2013-02-25, 12:09 PM
Deciding to take that as an invitation, the being lifts off the ground ad slowly floats towards the opening. Hands erupt from its back and manipulate arcane energies, yet to those not blessed with greater sight, nothing happens.
Those that can see beyond the basic however, can see two parallel panes of near invisible power spring forth in the air in front of the opening.
The being then floats up to look into said opening, hopefully protected should anything attempt to attack it.

Shortened Wall of force x 2(only 10 rds) in front of the opening (WoF doesn't need to be ankered I think?).
Also more buffs for the moment in anticipation of being attacked: (current list of actives)
-Resist Energy (resist 30 all)
-Shield
-Fly
-Anticipate Teleportation
-Ray deflection

Jack_Simth
2013-02-25, 06:57 PM
Gem stows her shapesand shovel back in the jug she got it from, and watches to see if anything hurts the guy who chose to go first.

J-H
2013-02-25, 07:33 PM
Michel floats up to the door, prepared to slide his incorporeal body into the wall if any threats appear.

Jib
2013-02-26, 03:13 AM
Peering down the tunnel reveals the Sick green stone only extends fifty feet down the tunnel. The stone is laid out in jagged layers running along the slope of the mountain.

The tunnel runs back almost 100 feet being 5 feet at the widest, and 3 feet at the narrowest. It appears to lead down after 80 feet. Bones are strewn about the cave, and a smell of rot and filth seems to be billowing up and through the cave mouth. The gravel before the cave shows very little in the way of foot traffic, but inside the gave in the garbage there are signs of groups having passed. No immediate threats can bee seen.

J-H
2013-02-26, 08:28 AM
Michel floats into the tunnel to see where it goes.

Invisible with ring, and with a Hide score of 52 (taking 10 on my Hide check). Incorporeal creatures are always silent.

Jack_Simth
2013-02-26, 06:55 PM
Gem follows, slipping underground once past the ore, and following the team by way of watching their magical auras.Arcane Sight inherits a penetration profile from Detect Magic - which means I get the locations of the entire team as long as I stay near the surface.

cd4
2013-02-27, 03:41 PM
The Guardian carefully flies through the tunnel being in the centre of the passage both vertically and horizontally. Although he is large he passes through the narrow parts without squeezing thanks to Xorn movement. He is following Michel and keeping within 20ft of him if he can with his 20ft base movement.

Re'ozul
2013-02-27, 04:21 PM
The being follows the others, its feet floating inches above the ground, no sound but the usual slight static coming off of it.

HandofCrom
2013-02-27, 08:25 PM
Kosmiel flies gracefully after his allies, carrying his silver trumpet at the ready.

Jack_Simth
2013-02-28, 05:59 PM
Gem pauses, considers, and pops up long enough to stop the party and say "Should we start looking for traps?"

Jib
2013-03-01, 12:42 AM
The tunnel continues down several hundred feet past the bend. At the far end the glow of fire is easily noticed. The stench of refuse and garbage comes strong at the top of the tunnel. The group can also vaguely hear the crash of metal on metal.

Much of the rock layers of the mountain appear to be volcanic.

J-H
2013-03-01, 08:48 AM
Silent, invisible, and hiding, Michel goes to the corner and phases into the wall to look.

cd4
2013-03-01, 12:02 PM
The Guardian waits for Michel to report back.

Jib
2013-03-01, 09:50 PM
Beyond the bend in the tunnel the path opens up. From the mouth of the tunnel leads a natural stone bridge supported hundreds of feet above a fiery red furnace. The bridge leads around the edge of the large cave, slowly winding down. Below small figures flit about near the scorching pools of magma, crude huts have been built from stone, and several areas near the pools are filled with metal working tools and equipment. From below the heavy smashing of metal on metal is very loud. The fumes from the molten rock whip around the tunnel entrance, pulled and pushed by the eddying air currents.

Re'ozul
2013-03-02, 02:35 PM
Removing himself from normal sight, the being moves into the fumes. The stench of other beings proves far more disturbing than the sulfuric fumes. With great willpower it manages to not instantly eradicate all of the offending creatures in its sight. Silently it descends along the corscrewing bridge.

Invisibility on self, then moving along the bridge hovering a foot in the air.
Currently active buffs:
-Resist Energy (resist 30 all)
-Shield
-Fly
-Anticipate Teleportation
-Ray deflection

Jib
2013-03-06, 01:42 AM
The creatures moving around the floor of the cavern are hideous. Their grey skin hangs off of the in folds, and while being short and hunched like goblins, they were to heavily muscled, and slightly taller. Several of the ugly creatures are heavily armed, carrying tower shields, and seem to be organized. The rest of the creatures are working, feverishly piling fresh swords in stacks. The blades are relatively simple, but built heavy. They work from crude furnaces relying on the magma to heat the mettle, and large anvils around which three or more smiths could pound. The assistants scurry around delivering hammers and raw material. Opposite the edge of the cave you are on, there is a larger building set up.

Jack_Simth
2013-03-06, 07:53 AM
Gem takes her cue from the Guardian, for now, and simply slips back into the stone to wait for Michael to return.

J-H
2013-03-06, 08:57 AM
Michel returns to the group, although he stays invisible.
"There's a great pit ahead... at the bottom are some creatures smithing large quantities of weapons using a lava flow for heat, plus some guards. There's a building over to one side that may lead deeper. With the heat and light and number of eyes, sneaking through there may be difficult."

Re'ozul
2013-03-08, 04:50 PM
Undaunted by the general appearance of the creatures, the being keeps following the bridge as it winds itself down. Still save from natural sight, it nonetheless keeps aware of the beings that may notice it.

Due to can't roll less than 20 on a d20:
Spot check is 69
Sense Motive is 42
To determine if the creatures see Operator.

Jack_Simth
2013-03-08, 06:38 PM
Gem sees if she can stay fully encased in rock while following the party - soundless in her incorporeality, and denying anyone line of sight to see her.

Jib
2013-03-09, 03:49 AM
The creatures seem to go about their tasks as if nothing was wrong. Several of the guards seem to sniff at the air, but whatever they noticed is quickly lost in the torrent of toxic fumes and stench of refuse. The Operator reaches the bottom of the stone bridge, standing at the same level as the creatures brings to mind that they are larger than they appeared from above, standing six feet tall on average with slightly lanky but cable like muscling.

From the large building on the opposite side of the cave comes a booming sound as the large door to one side is pushed open. Two of the beasts drag a large cart out, and the scurrying assistants begin to load the piles of weapons into the crude cart.

J-H
2013-03-09, 09:57 AM
Michel (still invisible) floats through the closed door to see what's on the other side.

Jack_Simth
2013-03-17, 09:41 PM
Gem shrugs, and sees about opening the door.