PDA

View Full Version : Jewelers in the Playground?

Thajocoth
2013-01-25, 04:55 AM
I got my girl an anklet little over a year ago. Sterling silver. The hearts of the chain have stretched wide. I'd like advice on what material to replace it with?

Goals:
- Can wear on ankle without need to remove it for any reason ever.
- Shiny. Preferably silvery (we briefly tried white gold; was too soft)
- Can hang 3 charms on (sterling silver charms)

Hopeful:
- Can go through airport security
- Can solder it permanently shut
- Can find as a heart link chain

We just don't know enough about different metals to understand what we're looking for.

What can you tell me about different metals that might help me here?

KuReshtin
2013-01-25, 05:02 AM
Have you tried Adamantium or Vibranium?
Not sure about whether they'll let you get through airport security, though. :smallwink:

Asta Kask
2013-01-25, 05:55 AM
Platinum? You'll need something hard, noble (so you don't have to remove it to shine it) and shiny. What's your budget?

Thajocoth
2013-01-25, 01:55 PM
I'm not sure of my budget. I know platinum's pretty expensive, but it makes sense.

This anklet signifies our relationship. Each charm represents two things about us and the chain's hearts represents one more. I intend to buy her a ring eventually too, which looks like it will be about $3,000. So far with the anklet, I've spent about $100 in 2011. Briefly $200 more, earlier this month, for the white gold chain, but it broke after less than a month, so they took it back. The sterling silver chain is back on her ankle. It's still holding, but the hearts are all much wider than when I bought it.

I'll see if I can find any info on how expensive platinum is. I know for the ring we're going with white gold because platinum made it too expensive to consider, and this is a whole anklet.

I'm also willing to do something plated, if it makes sense to get something harder underneath and shinier coating it.

Ashtar
2013-01-25, 05:20 PM
I would recommend titanium, incredibly strong, biocompatible, hypoallergenic (used for medical implants), non magnetic, excellent resistance to corrosion (no turning black like silver if you have acidic sweat).

Titanium itself is a dull silvery colour by default which I find beautiful, it can be anodized to get other colours.

See the wiki on titanium jewellery (under http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium_ring )

Mountain_Faerie
2013-01-26, 06:18 AM
I think you should repair the one she has. You can solder the silver, and yes, the hearts are bigger, but I'm betting your love has grown, too, so it makes since. :smallbiggrin:

I know personally, if my love replaced my silver anklet with a plated anklet, I would be disappointed, especially since the original had such deep meaning. Also, if you are trying to save for a ring, I would hate to see you continue buying anklets. Do you know how to solder or would you be taking this one to another jeweler?

Neftren
2013-01-26, 12:57 PM
I'll agree with Asta Kask here. Is Platinum within your budget?

Titanium could be another avenue, except you'd have to weld it shut (no soldering). Or sinter a new anklet, but that'd be even more expensive.

What's wrong with re-using sterling silver?

Have you considered anodized aluminium, or perhaps stainless steel?

Asta Kask
2013-01-26, 01:00 PM
Have you tried Adamantium or Vibranium?
Not sure about whether they'll let you get through airport security, though. :smallwink:

Mithril. As light as a feather and as hard as dragonscale.

Thajocoth
2013-01-26, 06:33 PM
The silver is stretching... That means it's getting thinner and will break. That's bad.