PDA

View Full Version : [M:tAw] What does a new cabal need to do to establish themselves?

Kiero
2013-01-25, 08:19 AM
We're getting into The Unforgiving (http://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/18thCenturyMage), our historical Mage: the Awakening game (which is podcasted here (http://insanitywetrust.wordpress.com/)). Now the historical part is relevant, it's set in 1750 in the province of New York, specifically near the town of Albany. Thus please disregard any modern considerations of setup, since anything technology-oriented is likely irrelevant.

The PCs are a new cabal of neophytes charged by the Albany & New York Consilium to take control of the frontier area around Albany. A Nefandi named Haskallah used to dominate the area, but he was murdered recently (investigating his murder is a secondary mission) and the vaccuum left by his absence is undesirable. Not least because it leaves the Consilium's northern border completely exposed and open. We've already met out Seer "liason" who resides in Albany; he used to be in contact with Haskallah (who was a neutral in the whole Diamond-Seer conflict) and is assuming the same arrangement - if we kill him a rather nasty pylon of Seer warrior-mages will turn up and ruin our day. No one wants that.

There's the matter of Haskallah's creations running wild; he was a collector of all sorts of random stuff, with a magpie-like attention-span. We've already discovered a thinning of the Gauntlet in the village where his house was and spirits wandering about in Twilight. Plus we were attacked by a manifested hate-spirit in the Hallows at the top of his tower. There's also a weird networked-psionic fungus infesting the region which we've been asked to clear up. The wealthy PC bought Haskallah's house (so we have Sanctum and Hallows now), though we might have to do some obscuring since he purchased it in his own (real) name.

Another cabal is in the area, The Manticore's Seal, though they're often roving around the frontier even if nominally based in Albany. We're on friendly terms so far (they're giving us room and board while we wait for the particulars of the sale to be completed with a bank in New York city) and have no designs on antagonising them. Their leader is mentor to one of the PCs, too.

The Herald is due to arrive within a week or two in order to formally incorporate the cabal and write them up in the Consilium's books, the start of the next session (possibly tonight) will cover our negotiations/discussions around who we think we are. Rights we want to honour and so on.

So that's the background. We're newly arrived and only just starting to poke things. What are some of the necessary things to do?

Juhn
2013-01-26, 01:43 PM
Do you mean working out your Cabal charter, figuring out which of the Great Rights you'll respect, that sort of thing? You've mentioned you're covering that, which will do a good job of establishing yourselves as an entity as far as the Consilium is concerned.

So I guess my question is, what do you mean by "establish yourselves"?

Kiero
2013-01-27, 07:35 AM
Do you mean working out your Cabal charter, figuring out which of the Great Rights you'll respect, that sort of thing? You've mentioned you're covering that, which will do a good job of establishing yourselves as an entity as far as the Consilium is concerned.

So I guess my question is, what do you mean by "establish yourselves"?

Things that need doing in the area; like establishing contacts with the local spirit court, finding out who the notable Sleeper personages are, that sort of thing.

My character has already been looking at things like security and escape routes from the cabal's base.