PDA

View Full Version : Getting Wizard 9th Exclusives onto other spell lists?

Vaz
2013-01-25, 02:57 PM
Just wondering is there any way of casting 9ths that aren't on your Spell List that aren't reliant on Perishables and UMD, and preferably none class based, but I'm cool for ideas.

Cruiser1
2013-01-25, 04:13 PM
Just wondering is there any way of casting 9ths that aren't on your Spell List that aren't reliant on Perishables and UMD, and preferably none class based, but I'm cool for ideas.
A class based way for Cleric to be able to cast 9th level Wizard spells is through the Divine Magician ACF: Trade a domain for the ability to cast one Wizard spell per spell level, from the Abjuration, Divination, or Necromancy schools.

Gotterdammerung
2013-01-25, 04:36 PM
Another potential way would be to use the Sword of the Arcane Order feat from the champion of valor in conjunction with Prestige Paladin from the Unearthed Arcana on a cleric chassis.

Psyren
2013-01-25, 04:46 PM
Depending on the specific spell you want, several can be found within domains, which can then be added onto nearly any divine caster.

You can also attempt to make your character a god, and get them a high enough rank to use Alter Reality.

cd4
2013-01-25, 05:04 PM
The Shadowcraft Mage prestige class from Races of Stone can mimic spells of the Evocation, Conjuration (Calling) and Conjuration (Summoning) schools. For 9ths you need Heighten Spell and Earth Spell (Also Races of Stone) to mimic those.

The Viscount
2013-01-25, 09:17 PM
There's a variety of feats from Dragon Compendium that'll give you 9 spells to add to your list, though only one is level 9.

I know you said you preferred non-class, but it's easier to find them, so in the interest of thoroughness I'll mention Rainbow Servant, which adds the entire Cleric list.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-01-25, 10:33 PM
Another potential way would be to use the Sword of the Arcane Order feat from the champion of valor in conjunction with Prestige Paladin from the Unearthed Arcana on a cleric chassis.

This doesn't actually work like you think it does. It specifies preparing wizard spells in Paladin slots - a Prestige Paladin has [whatever divine class you used to enter] slots. Along the same lines as why Battle Blessing doesn't work with Prestige Paladin.

Vaz
2013-01-25, 10:55 PM
A class based way for Cleric to be able to cast 9th level Wizard spells is through the Divine Magician ACF: Trade a domain for the ability to cast one Wizard spell per spell level, from the Abjuration, Divination, or Necromancy schools.

Sadly, the specific spell in question is conjunction.

http://dndtools.eu/spells/complete-mage--58/dimension-jumper--778/

What about as an Archivist?

Vaz
2013-01-26, 10:25 AM
Sorry for the double post, thought it was worth it for the new information; just realised an Archivist allows it.

A Hexer is a Divine Caster that gains a Bonus Spell from the Wiz/Sor of the spell level it can cast, and it's a 10/10 Progression Class, so can definitely reach Divine Casting 9ths. Sorted.

Piggy Knowles
2013-01-26, 11:04 AM
Sadly, the specific spell in question is conjunction.

http://dndtools.eu/spells/complete-mage--58/dimension-jumper--778/

What about as an Archivist?

An archivist could get Dimension Jumper off the divine bard spell list.

Vaz
2013-01-26, 11:07 AM
Copied the wrong one. Meant to paste the greater version - which is a Wiz/Sor 9 exclusive.

Clistenes
2013-01-26, 11:15 AM

Wouldn't that be bending the rules too much? The feat is intended to let you use wizard spells up to 4th level, not 9th level.

Psyren
2013-01-26, 11:48 AM
Along the same lines as why Battle Blessing doesn't work with Prestige Paladin.

Battle Blessing does work with Prestige Paladin. The requirement is that you cast paladin spells, which they have.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-01-27, 12:29 AM
Battle Blessing does work with Prestige Paladin. The requirement is that you cast paladin spells, which they have.

Arg, curse my inspecificity. It doesn't change all of your spells to swift actions.

Vaz
2013-01-27, 02:17 AM
I've been looking into the the Iron Chef thread on the Geomancer, and there's a build in there which uses Wu Jen/Archivist/Incantatrix/Geomancer.

That's horrendous; it can learn any Divine Spell, the Wu Jen Spell list, the Sor/Wiz, the Bard Spell List... I think the only thing it cannot learn is the War Mage and Sorcerer only Uniques... Throw in that feat, and any of those spells can be cast with the Parameter that they are treated as if they were Paladin spells - and hence can get quicker casted spells... That's hella powerful.

Gotterdammerung
2013-01-27, 03:06 AM
I've been looking into the the Iron Chef thread on the Geomancer, and there's a build in there which uses Wu Jen/Archivist/Incantatrix/Geomancer.

That's horrendous; it can learn any Divine Spell, the Wu Jen Spell list, the Sor/Wiz, the Bard Spell List... I think the only thing it cannot learn is the War Mage and Sorcerer only Uniques... Throw in that feat, and any of those spells can be cast with the Parameter that they are treated as if they were Paladin spells - and hence can get quicker casted spells... That's hella powerful.

They can only be cast with the parameter that they are treated as if they were pld spells IF the build actually takes paladin levels. Spell versatility only allows the mixing and matching of parmaters from classes you actually have. And "that feat" actually requires u are capable of casting pld spells before you take it.

Vaz
2013-01-27, 06:28 AM
You can cast most of your paladin spells faster than normal. If the spell normally requires a standard action, you can cast it as a swift action. If it normally requires a full round to cast, you can cast it as a standard action. Spells with longer or shorter casting times are not affected by this feat.

Paladin spells are those that are on the Paladins spell list. An Archivist can cast Paladin spells, and can benefit from Battle Blessing, and can prepare any spells in its prayer book, as can a Wizard or Wu Jen, regardless of whether they can cast them. Spell Versatility 9 allows the caster to cast the spells with any Parameters changed; including making any spell prepared cast from the Wizard/Wu Jen side, with no ASF, and also allowing it to count as a Paladin spell.

There is no mention of needing levels in Paladin, only Paladin spells, and as Spell Versatility specifically allows you to incorporate Paladin spells (given by Archivist), ANY spell from the Wu Jen, Sor/Wiz, Bard, and any Divine Caster spell lists is fair game for Battle Blessing.

Psyren
2013-01-27, 11:41 AM
Arg, curse my inspecificity. It doesn't change all of your spells to swift actions.

Yeah, definitely agreed there - just the ones from the paladin list.