PDA

View Full Version : Attack of Opportunity Question

zoobob9
2013-01-25, 03:27 PM
If you leave a threatened square, you provoke an attack of opportunity. If a character has combat reflexes, then they cannot get two attacks of opportunity from an opponent leaving threatened squares. But if they move out of your reach and later in the round move back in, would that count as a "different source" and be subject to more attacks of opportunity?

mattie_p
2013-01-25, 03:31 PM
Nope. Last two lines of this link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/attacksOfOpportunity.htm#provokinganAttackofOpport unity):

Moving out of more than one square threatened by the same opponent in the same round doesn’t count as more than one opportunity for that opponent.

zoobob9
2013-01-25, 03:36 PM
Nope. Last two lines of this link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/attacksOfOpportunity.htm#provokinganAttackofOpport unity):

Yes, RAW. Let me ask a different way. If two people were to fling an opponent using the knockback feat, even though it's moving through the threatened squares, its obviously different circumstances in game. Would RAI permit multiple attacks of opportunity?

Diarmuid
2013-01-25, 03:41 PM
RAI lets you pretty much do whatever you want.

I'm sure if this thread stays active long enough you'll have plenty of people vehemently defending both sides of the argument. The DM has last say when it comes to RAI so if you're the DM, rule it how you want. If you're not the DM, abide by how he's ruling it.

Personally, I would probably allow for movement to provoke multiple times if the movement occured during different intiative counts.

Init 22 Target moves around like a ninny provoking - AoO1
Init 20 someone does other stuff
Init 15 Target is moved (bull rush, etc), AoO2

This seems fairly reasonable but certainly not RAW.

Keld Denar
2013-01-25, 04:53 PM
I'd agree with Diarmuid. I think it is probably best interpreted by turn, or in his case, init count. Moving under your own power only provokes one per attacker. Moving due to other circumstances (qualifying forced movement, out of turn movement such as Grant Move Action by a Marshall or various White Raven maneuvers) would count as a separate instance and again provoke one AoO per foe, as often as those events occur, once per instance.