PDA

View Full Version : Burning Grease (3.5 spell)

Frathe
2013-01-25, 03:53 PM
Burning Grease
Conjuration (Creation, Fire)
Level:Brd 2, Sor/Wiz 2
Components:V, S, M
Casting Time:1 standard action
Range:Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target or Area:One object or a 10-ft. square
Duration:1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw:See text
Spell Resistance:No

A burning grease spell covers a solid surface with a layer of burning slippery grease. Any creature in the area when the spell is cast must make a successful Reflex save or fall. This save is repeated on your turn each round that the creature remains within the area. A creature can walk within or through the area of grease at half normal speed with a DC 10 Balance check. Failure means it can’t move that round (and must then make a Reflex save or fall), while failure by 5 or more means it falls (see the Balance skill for details). Each creature in the affected area also risks catching on fire (1d6 damage per round; DC 15 Reflex save to prevent or end; see the Catching on Fire (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#catchingOnFire) rules for details).

The spell can also be used to create a hot greasy coating on an item. Material objects not in use are always affected by this spell, while an object wielded or employed by a creature receives a Reflex saving throw to avoid the effect. If the initial saving throw fails, the creature immediately drops the item. A saving throw must be made in each round that the creature attempts to pick up or use the greased item. The creature takes 1d4 damage each round they successfully hold a burning greased item.

A creature wearing burning greased armor or clothing gains a +10 circumstance bonus on Escape Artist checks and on grapple checks made to resist or escape a grapple or to escape a pin. However, the creature also catches on fire (1d6 fire damage per round).

Material Component
A bit of pork rind or butter and a pinch of black pepper.

Mystra
2013-01-26, 01:48 PM
The spell is ok, but maybe ''Burning Glue'' might be a bit more interesting......

mistformsquirrl
2013-01-26, 01:58 PM
The only thing I don't get with this spell is why someone wearing greased armor fails to take damage from it... It just seems to me that being on fire would rather hurt, you know?

Otherwise I like the idea.

Frathe
2013-01-26, 02:15 PM
The spell is ok, but maybe ''Burning Glue'' might be a bit more interesting......

Sure, if glue was a flammable substance, and you could point me to a spell to base that on (I guess it could entangle creatures in an area, not unlike web). :smallconfused:

The only thing I don't get with this spell is why someone wearing greased armor fails to take damage from it... It just seems to me that being on fire would rather hurt, you know?

Otherwise I like the idea.

I did realize that seemed strange that flaming armor wouldn't hurt the wearer, but I wanted you to be able to use the spell to escape grapples, the same way you could use the original grease. I'm just going to change that to another offensive capability (so you can set someone on fire directly, instead of using it on yourself when they're grappling you or something).

Edit: Okay, so now we have the slightly odd situation that you could use the spell on yourself to escape a grapple, but then idiotically take damage, or use it on an enemy to deal damage, but then unintentionally help them escape a grapple.

Temotei
2013-01-26, 03:56 PM
Sure, if glue was a flammable substance, and you could point me to a spell to base that on (I guess it could entangle creatures in an area, not unlike web). :smallconfused:

Resinous tar from Complete Mage is what you'd be looking for.

Frathe
2013-01-26, 05:09 PM
Burning Tar
Conjuration (Creation, Fire)
Level: Bard 2, Sorcerer 2, Wizard 2
Components: V, S, M,
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Area: One object or 10-ft. square
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: No

A sticky layer of flaming black liquid coats your target. The burning tar spell makes a solid surface sticky. Movement costs across the area are doubled. Any prone creature in the area must succeed on a DC 10 Strength check to stand up. In addition, any creatures in the area risk catching fire (see the Catching on Fire (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#catchingOnFire) rules).

The spell can also be used to create a sticky coating on an item. Items not in use or in a creature's possession are always affected by this spell. An object wielded or held by a creature receives a Reflex saving throw to avoid the effect.

A creature holding an affected item takes 1d4 fire damage per round and must use a full-round action to let go of the item, drop it, put it away, pick it up from the ground, or ready it for use. A creature wielding an affected item gains a +5 circumstance bonus on opposed checks to avoid being disarmed.

A creature wearing armor or clothing affected by this spell takes a -5 penalty on Escape Artist checks and on grapple checks made to resist or escape a grapple or to escape a pin. In addition, the creature is on fire and takes damage accordingly (1d6 damage per round), and any creature that they pin or grapple or that pins or grapples them takes 1d4 damage per round.

Burning tar counters and dispels grease or burning grease (and vice versa), but deals 2d4 fire damage in the process.

Material Component
A drop of honey, molasses, or pine resin and a piece of yellow sulfur.

Frathe
2013-01-26, 05:13 PM
Mystra, now I see your point; a spell with a burning weapon that the enemy can't put down is way more useful than one that helps it drop the flaming object.

Thanks for the info, Temotei. 'Twas very useful. And, happily, I believe tar is flammable. :smallsmile:

Frathe
2013-01-27, 03:56 PM
Mystra, are you seeing this? I (basically) made the Burning Glue you wanted.