PDA

View Full Version : Alien Life

noparlpf
2013-01-25, 04:47 PM
link (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/18/extraterresterial-life-exists-chandra-wickramasinghe_n_2500008.html?utm_hp_ref=weird-news)

Seems like some guys have found fossilised algae-type things in a recently-fallen meteorite.

pffh
2013-01-25, 04:53 PM
Yeah the journal of cosmology is not exactly a reputable journal.

Phase
2013-01-25, 04:54 PM
Seems like some guys are convinced they might have maybe found something that kinda resembles known structures in a meteorite if maybe you tilt your head and squint.

Like with most things, I'll accept it as theory when it's peer reviewed. (And yeah, reliable peer review from the JoC is not likely to happen.)

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2013-01-25, 05:19 PM
Yeah, count me amongst the "incredibly sceptical" crowd.

noparlpf
2013-01-25, 05:30 PM
I'm not saying it's irrefutable proof of alien life. And this guy is probably the least reliable guy in the field due to personal bias. But they do look rather like some kinds of algae. It would be neat if it does turn out to be real.

Ravens_cry
2013-01-25, 05:38 PM
Certainly something worth looking into, just like those neutrinos that looked to be exceeding the speed of light, but one should be careful not to be mislead by biases for either position.

Giggling Ghast
2013-01-25, 05:50 PM
Confirmation of alien life? Maybe now people will be more willing to listen when I speak of our secret reptilian overlords.

Ravens_cry
2013-01-25, 06:48 PM
What I don't like is how quickly panspermia is pounced upon as suddenly been proven. After all, even if these are alien diatom fossils that could survive the journey, through deep space, that doesn't mean living alien diatoms could survive the journey and seed Earth with life. In my mind, there is a pretty huge gap between the two.

Grinner
2013-01-25, 06:54 PM
What I don't like is how quickly panspermia is pounced upon as suddenly been proven. After all, even if these are alien diatom fossils that could survive the journey, through deep space, that doesn't mean living alien diatoms could survive the journey and seed Earth with life. In my mind, there is a pretty huge gap between the two.

And it still wouldn't answer the big question.

Ravens_cry
2013-01-25, 08:14 PM
And it still wouldn't answer the big question.
No, it does not. It just pushes back the question, something I've always had a problem with panspermia.

noparlpf
2013-01-25, 09:11 PM

Well, panspermia is this guy's idea in the first place. Of course he's claiming this is proof. I'm not even convinced that's a meteorite yet, until we get some other, less biased scientists in to check it out.

Killer Angel
2013-01-26, 07:32 AM
Well, universe is infinite, so, somewhere out there, there is life. It's a matter of numbers and possibilities, and when you have infinite possible combinations...

Now, on this specific "proof", I'm a bit more skeptical. :smallamused:

Dr.Epic
2013-01-26, 08:16 AM
link (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/18/extraterresterial-life-exists-chandra-wickramasinghe_n_2500008.html?utm_hp_ref=weird-news)

Seems like some guys have found fossilised algae-type things in a recently-fallen meteorite.

Pff. So what. I found fossilised algae-type things not of this world at my wedding. I call them my in-laws.:smallwink:

Thank you. I'll be here all week.

pffh
2013-01-26, 08:28 AM
Well, universe is infinite, so, somewhere out there, there is life. It's a matter of numbers and possibilities, and when you have infinite possible combinations...

According to modern astronomy the universe isn't infinite.

Ravens_cry
2013-01-26, 08:46 AM
According to modern astronomy the universe isn't infinite.

The visible universe isn't infinite, but we have no way of knowing what is beyond that.

pffh
2013-01-26, 09:10 AM
The visible universe isn't infinite, but we have no way of knowing what is beyond that.

Olber's paradox got ya covered.

Ravens_cry
2013-01-26, 09:15 AM
Olber's paradox got ya covered.
You might want to watch this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxJ4M7tyLRE).