PDA

View Full Version : Beastmaster vs. Master of Many Forms

sambouchah
2013-01-25, 05:11 PM
I am playing a Druid for our next campaign and Found out about these two classes in the complete adventurer. Which one is better or should I do both? I can fulfill all criteria by 5th level and would take one at 6th.

Thanks, Sam

Lord_Gareth
2013-01-25, 05:13 PM
I am playing a Druid for our next campaign and Found out about these two classes in the complete adventurer. Which one is better or should I do both? I can fulfill all criteria by 5th level and would take one at 6th.

Thanks, Sam

Neither of them is strictly 'better' than Druid 20 because they don't progress spellcasting. However, if you're dead-set on choosing between the two, Master of Many Forms is less of a nerf.

sambouchah
2013-01-25, 05:19 PM
Neither of them is strictly 'better' than Druid 20 because they don't progress spellcasting. However, if you're dead-set on choosing between the two, Master of Many Forms is less of a nerf.

I'm sorry for being such a noob with nerd lingo, what does nerf mean?

And I get bored of playing a druid around 10th level(not sure why, it makes no sense at all) and so I figured adding more companions or new forms may help out a bit.

Lord_Gareth
2013-01-25, 05:22 PM

And I get bored of playing a druid around 10th level(not sure why, it makes no sense at all) and so I figured adding more companions or new forms may help out a bit.

A nerf is a reduction in power, named in reference to Nerf Guns, Nerf Balls, etc.

If you're interested in shapeshifting as a thing, I'd suggest starting as a Wildshape Ranger, then going into Master of Many Forms. Great for a melee character and it vastly increases the power of the ranger. The trouble with Druid going into either is that their spells do better than both classes AND aren't incompatible with companions or shapeshifting (thanks to Natural Spell). Now, if you want more minions than Druids can make incomparable summoners, and Eberron has some feats that can help there.

However, I must universally suggest AGAINST the Beastmaster class, because each companion you gain becomes less and less able to actually help you. If you really want another companion, check out the Wild Cohort feat. Another option is to crack open Complete Mage for Arcane Heirophant, a Druid/Wizard PrC that turns your companion/familiar into a Companion Familiar with the best traits of both.

Lapak
2013-01-25, 05:23 PM

And I get bored of playing a druid around 10th level(not sure why, it makes no sense at all) and so I figured adding more companions or new forms may help out a bit.In this context, a nerf is simply a reduction in raw power. Lord_Gareth is saying that they're both less potent in a mechanical sense than the spellcasting you get from continuing Druid, but that MOMF is less of a downgrade.

(Keep in mind that this IS strictly in a mechanical sense; if you're doing this for the sake of enjoying your character you should do whichever options appeals to you most.)

sambouchah
2013-01-25, 05:31 PM
A nerf is a reduction in power, named in reference to Nerf Guns, Nerf Balls, etc.

If you're interested in shapeshifting as a thing, I'd suggest starting as a Wildshape Ranger, then going into Master of Many Forms. Great for a melee character and it vastly increases the power of the ranger. The trouble with Druid going into either is that their spells do better than both classes AND aren't incompatible with companions or shapeshifting (thanks to Natural Spell). Now, if you want more minions than Druids can make incomparable summoners, and Eberron has some feats that can help there.

However, I must universally suggest AGAINST the Beastmaster class, because each companion you gain becomes less and less able to actually help you. If you really want another companion, check out the Wild Cohort feat. Another option is to crack open Complete Mage for Arcane Heirophant, a Druid/Wizard PrC that turns your companion/familiar into a Companion Familiar with the best traits of both.

OH! I get it now! nerf that is. The wild cohort feat is from what book? And I will check out the Arcane Heirophant.

Lord_Gareth
2013-01-25, 05:33 PM
OH! I get it now! nerf that is. The wild cohort feat is from what book? And I will check out the Arcane Heirophant.

Wild Cohort is available free-and-legal right here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a), direct from WotC.

Togo
2013-01-25, 10:13 PM
If you're bored of the spells, but like wildshaping, then Master of Many Forms is very versatile, and should keep you on your toes.

If you like the spells, but get bored with the strict nature theme, then Planar Shepard might be worth a look. It is, frankly, horribly overpowered if its abilities are exploited to the max, but if your group isn't optimising everything in sight, then it gives a more 'planar' feel to your old nature priest, and gives a wider range of wildshape. Keeps the same spells though.

If you're bored of both, but like the nature theme, maybe Focultean lyricist might be an improvement?

If you're basically bored of not having decent weapons, then daggerspell shifter is quite a fun little class, once you see how it works.

Beastmaster... doesn't do it's job very well. You get a better animal companion, and then several less good companions, who risk getting killed. It's flavourful, but it doesn't fit into an adventuring party all that well.

sambouchah
2013-01-25, 10:24 PM
If you're bored of the spells, but like wildshaping, then Master of Many Forms is very versatile, and should keep you on your toes.

If you like the spells, but get bored with the strict nature theme, then Planar Shepard might be worth a look. It is, frankly, horribly overpowered if its abilities are exploited to the max, but if your group isn't optimising everything in sight, then it gives a more 'planar' feel to your old nature priest, and gives a wider range of wildshape. Keeps the same spells though.

If you're bored of both, but like the nature theme, maybe Focultean lyricist might be an improvement?

If you're basically bored of not having decent weapons, then daggerspell shifter is quite a fun little class, once you see how it works.

Beastmaster... doesn't do it's job very well. You get a better animal companion, and then several less good companions, who risk getting killed. It's flavourful, but it doesn't fit into an adventuring party all that well.

I suppose planar shepherd is from planar handbook?

Lord_Gareth
2013-01-25, 10:26 PM
I suppose planar shepherd is from planar handbook?

Eberron Campaign Setting, actually, which also has some WONDERFUL feats for summoner druids.

mattie_p
2013-01-25, 10:29 PM
Eberron Campaign Setting, actually, which also has some WONDERFUL feats for summoner druids.

Eberron: Yes. Campaign Setting: No. I'm pretty sure it is from Faiths of Eberron.

Lord_Gareth
2013-01-25, 10:31 PM
Eberron: Yes. Campaign Setting: No. I'm pretty sure it is from Faiths of Eberron.

Sorry, don't know my Eberron books well >.>

mattie_p
2013-01-25, 10:34 PM
I actually don't have that book, but planar shepherd comes up often enough that it stuck in my head.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-01-26, 12:06 AM
Beastmaster is a key component of the ubermount builds. There's fun to be had there. It can also blend very intriguingly with Magic of Incarnum's totemist.

I'm pretty sure it was an Iron Chef ingredient a ways back, so you could look at that for some cool tricks for it as well.

All that said, druid does next to nothing for beastmaster and beastmaster is unquestionably detrimental to a druid. If you insist on emphasizing the druid rather than the PrC you definitely want to go Master of Many Forms.