PDA

View Full Version : Can We Break It?

The Viscount
2013-01-25, 06:35 PM
The Uridezu is a demon from Manual of the Planes. It is a rules mess. It possesses the ability to attack with its tail twice as a full attack, due to a special ability that lets it use its tail as a whip, including for disarm and trip attempts. This tail slap is somehow a ranged attack, yet allows it to use its strength bonus for damage, but not attack. This is all from 3.0, and the update has no change to any of this, so I am at a loss to explain. Perhaps it makes sense with 3.0 rules

My question is, what can be exploited from this? I want to say there are things to be done with melee weapons that act as ranged, as with natural weapons that can be used multiple times in a full attack, but I cannot think of any.

I put it to the playground, then. I have faith in you.

andromax
2013-01-25, 06:38 PM
A PC can already do that with a mighty whip. And probably better if it only gets 2 attacks.

Deophaun
2013-01-25, 06:42 PM
Manual of the Planes is 3.0, so you should update the monster to 3.5. Back in 3.0, a whip was a ranged weapon (I'm 95% certain, as that's what the whip analogues in A&EG are). This was changed in 3.5 to make it a melee weapon that provokes and does not threaten. Do the same with the Uridezu's tail.

The Viscount
2013-01-25, 08:15 PM
I thought it might be something like that for the ranged/melee bit.

The fact remains that we have a natural weapon that is treated as a manufactured one for the purpose of full attack. I feel like I didn't say that very clearly the first time around. This seems ripe for the picking, but I'm having a hard time thinking of what to do with it.