PDA

View Full Version : DM Help: Halfing Whistler Review?

silverwolfer
2013-01-25, 06:36 PM
Can someone fiddle with the prc listed here

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20061121a

one of my players wants to play into it, and I think it might be a bard? or a Druid entry not really sure, but would love thoughts on what folks think on it.

HunterOfJello
2013-01-25, 06:45 PM
Entry requirements are:

Halfling
Handle Animal 4 Ranks
Knowledge (Nature) 8 Ranks
Perform (Whistling) 4 ranks
Survival 4 ranks
Train an animal that chatters (?)
Worship Yondalla

~~~~~

Biggest requirement are Halfing race and the Knowledge (Nature) ranks. After that you can decide between Druid or Bard. The PrC seems to favor those two more because of the rarer class skills required.

You can multiclass to get the skills at normal cost, pay for them as cross class skills, or find another way to get all of them.

Bard lacks 2 of the skills: Survival and Handle Animal
Savage Bard lacks 1 of the skills: Handle Animal
Druid lacks 1 of the skills: Perform

~

My recommendation is an entry through Savage Bard or Druid.

avr
2013-01-25, 07:40 PM
Works for a wizard entry too. Based on the saves and BAB advanced I'd suspect it was intended as a PrC for a bard, if that matters to you.

silverwolfer
2013-01-26, 10:16 AM
Alright hmm......

Amphetryon
2013-01-26, 10:24 AM
Bard/Ranger can get in pretty easily, too, especially given the "need not be an Animal Companion" verbiage that waives what would otherwise be a 4-level diversion.

WhatBigTeeth
2013-01-26, 01:57 PM
It's just an all-purpose filler class. The biggest draws are its skill list and generalized spellcasting advancement, which can work with normally weird classes like shadowcaster and warlock.

Probably not worth it if the base class has decent features, like a druid or a bard who's sunk resources into IC optimization, but as long as the casting advancement is advancing some casting, it's not going to cripple anything.