PDA

View Full Version : What Would a Fiend-Run News Network Be Like?

Leliel
2013-01-25, 06:40 PM
So, I was watching a let's play of the Devil May Cry reboot, and one of the more interesting ideas was a boss fight against a demonic pundit. Sound stupid? Well, it would be, were it not for the fact that the makers took the concept of Limbo (the Ethereal Plane, in DnD speak) and ran with it for Bob Barbas, making it so you literally face him within the data of the network he works for. Lots of nice cyberpunk visuals, not to mention the idea of you literally going into his pieces and taking them over as his weak point.

Given how most of the DmC demons are in fact DnD devils (fits with the punk aesthetic they were going for), this got me wondering:

Assuming you're playing in a modern world, what would a major news network be like run by fiends (secretly or not)? I doubt if tanar'i have the patience or inclination, but I could see baatezu, yugoloths, and most others liking the spotlight.

Also, no jokes at the expense of two certain networks. I've seen them, and I don't want this thread locked.

Grinner
2013-01-25, 06:51 PM
I'm not sure if it fits completely, but this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXcQMhC9IVU) came to mind.

Surrealistik
2013-01-25, 06:55 PM
Also, no jokes at the expense of two certain networks. I've seen them, and I don't want this thread locked.

Now this is just cruel.

Would a name drop qualify?

Kelb_Panthera
2013-01-25, 07:12 PM
I would imagine that it wouldn't be too different from news stations are IRL, just without the human interest stories. Nothing but hour after hour of doom and gloom accentuated with as many pieces about how violent and/or gruesome death awaits us all at every turn.

NichG
2013-01-25, 07:29 PM
Actually I'd think the opposite would be more cruel. Continuously run pieces about successful, happy people in areas that are poor, disaster-ridden, and suffering. Use the news to constantly say 'hey look, everyone in the world who matters is doing great!', so those in trouble feel isolated, alone, and un-cared for.

On top of that it'd make sense for a fiend news network to try to make big deals out of the most trivial events and issues, creating a veritable circus that polarizes people around things they previously didn't care about while distracting from serious matters. A success for the Fiend News Network is creating a Lilput sort of situation where people are ripping eachother to shreds about the correct way to eat eggs while people are starving in the streets.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-01-25, 07:34 PM
Actually I'd think the opposite would be more cruel. Continuously run pieces about successful, happy people in areas that are poor, disaster-ridden, and suffering. Use the news to constantly say 'hey look, everyone in the world who matters is doing great!', so those in trouble feel isolated, alone, and un-cared for.

On top of that it'd make sense for a fiend news network to try to make big deals out of the most trivial events and issues, creating a veritable circus that polarizes people around things they previously didn't care about while distracting from serious matters. A success for the Fiend News Network is creating a Lilput sort of situation where people are ripping eachother to shreds about the correct way to eat eggs while people are starving in the streets.

Okay so maybe they wouldn't remove the human interest pieces, just be more selective about when and how they air them.

Otherwise that sounds remarkably similar to how real news networks run, to me.

Edit Note: I may have let cynicism get the better of me in regards to news media.

Kane0
2013-01-25, 07:42 PM
I'm not sure if it fits completely, but this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXcQMhC9IVU) came to mind.

That was my first thought too.

Slipperychicken
2013-01-25, 08:32 PM
If this is 3.5 D&D rules, I'm assuming we're talking Devils here, since Demons are the embodiment of Chaos, and thus unsuitable to run a news network effectively. I also assume we're talking about Devils in their capacity as the absolute embodiment of Law.

The network is extremely well-organized and formulaic, every episode a beautiful masterpiece of news (Even average Devils possess superhuman intellect, wisdom, and charisma. Those selected for this job would surely be even more so). Not one word is improvised: everything goes according to schedule. The reporting is very thorough and respectable, held to the highest possible standard; no story makes it on air without undergoing extensive review. Every fact is checked, every detail scrutinized. If anyone was ever found slacking, they were sacked and replaced long ago. The network tends to slant in favor of authority, but journalistic standards are rarely compromised to this end.

Within the organization, fierce competition occurs. Each employee needs to drive hard for any hope of advancement; the only way to keep your job is to not only have absolute obedience to the boss, but also be extremely competent. Human employees are on-edge, knowing that even a tiny slip-up can cost them their jobs (and reputations. Devils have no intention of letting people down easy).

The network is optimized either for profit, quality, or pushing some hidden agenda. It depends on the Fiends' objectives here. If they seek profit, they'll most likely do what regular news organizations do, only ten times more effectively. If they pursue quality above all else, they'll have the most accurate story on the air, but will stop at nothing to achieve it; bribing officials to leak data and using more conventional detective-work to learn more. If they pursue a hidden agenda, they will most likely function much like a regular news organization, but lack a clear angle (liberal, conservative, religious, state-news, etc), and often have strange slants to their stories which are typically chalked up to bad journalism standards.

If they have access to spellcasting (through their worshipers), they can make extremely-accurate predictions by spamming spells like Divination or Contact Other Plane. They will almost never be wrong, their weather prediction is impeccable.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-25, 09:05 PM
Well, I remember a cartoon that was just like this, on a website called Looserville Express. But that particular flash seems to have disapeared. :smallfrown:

I think it was called "Nightly News" or "The News" or something like that.

Zale
2013-01-26, 12:03 AM
Now tune in next week for your daily allotment of classical music in the form of the screams of tortured children!

Freejack451
2013-01-26, 12:39 AM
Just like how broadcasting news stations are run in real life. I've worked at a couple of Network affiliate broadcast stations before, so trust me I know. It would be funny in a game, but in real life.....?

Alejandro
2013-01-26, 12:52 AM

It's almost like.. no, won't say it. :)

Surrealistik
2013-01-26, 12:52 AM
It's almost like.. no, won't say it. :)

You know you want to.