PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Help with a Warrior Poet Concept

raxies94
2013-01-25, 09:55 PM
Hello all! My friends and I have been getting the D&D itch recently, so we're going to start up an adventure out of a module for a few sessions. I usually play caster types, but I wanted to try something different this time. I've always been fond of the concept of warrior poets, so I wanted to try to make one in game.

However, I've been looking over the Pathfinder materials, and I haven't had a whole lot of luck finding one path that is both in the flavor of the warrior poet and also looks like it does what I need it to. Ideally, I wanted something that would be primarily a fighter, but also something like bardic performances, that benefits from having a high charisma. I thought I'd found the answer in the Battle Herald prestige class, but the class features found in that don't exactly look like things I would use. Anyone have any suggestions?

Additional information: We're starting at about level 4 or 5, so there's a few levels of wiggle room to do multiclass stuff in. On the opposite hand, I don't expect to go any farther than level 10, so keep that in mind.

Right now, the best option I'm seeing is just straight bard with an emphasis on buffing himself, but I'm open to other ideas.

Edit: Ideally, if anyone knew of some sort of feat that let you keep your bardic performances while being in a more combat-oriented class, that's what I'm really looking.

Teh_das
2013-01-25, 10:15 PM
The dervish archetype would work well for this. it gets double the effect of inspire courage on itself while dancing at the expense of buffing the entire party, as well as a few more buffs. if you want to stay bard, it's one of the more combat focused archetypes.

raxies94
2013-01-25, 10:27 PM
The dervish archetype would work well for this. it gets double the effect of inspire courage on itself while dancing at the expense of buffing the entire party, as well as a few more buffs. if you want to stay bard, it's one of the more combat focused archetypes.

I had looked at some of the archtypes, though admittedly not that one. Looking at it now, it does actually look really good for a bard buffing himself. Thanks, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Joshinthemosh
2013-01-25, 10:27 PM
Hello all! My friends and I have been getting the D&D itch recently, so we're going to start up an adventure out of a module for a few sessions. I usually play caster types, but I wanted to try something different this time. I've always been fond of the concept of warrior poets, so I wanted to try to make one in game.

However, I've been looking over the Pathfinder materials, and I haven't had a whole lot of luck finding one path that is both in the flavor of the warrior poet and also looks like it does what I need it to. Ideally, I wanted something that would be primarily a fighter, but also something like bardic performances, that benefits from having a high charisma. I thought I'd found the answer in the Battle Herald prestige class, but the class features found in that don't exactly look like things I would use. Anyone have any suggestions?

Additional information: We're starting at about level 4 or 5, so there's a few levels of wiggle room to do multiclass stuff in. On the opposite hand, I don't expect to go any farther than level 10, so keep that in mind.

Right now, the best option I'm seeing is just straight bard with an emphasis on buffing himself, but I'm open to other ideas.

Okay so a totally different tack http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo---fighter-archetypes/lore-warden

Lore Warden-A fighter archetype, it gets 4+Int Mod all Int based skills as class skills. 3 levels in that will get you a lot of what you're looking for. A level or two of Oracle with the Lore Mystery into Dissident of the Dawn? That would be different a really really really into Knowledge skills.

avr
2013-01-25, 10:29 PM
So, by 'poet' do you mean someone who makes poetry to impress the girls, or someone who keeps the history of a pre-literate culture, or one with limited literacy? They're not exclusive but they are different goals.

The first is a bard in all probability, the second might be a barbarian, perhaps with rage powers like spirit totem (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/rage-powers/paizo---rage-powers/spirit-totem-lesser-su) and/or intimidating glare (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/rage-powers/paizo---rage-powers/intimidating-glare-ex) if you want to get some mileage out of charisma.

raxies94
2013-01-25, 10:31 PM
Okay so a totally different tack http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo---fighter-archetypes/lore-warden

Lore Warden-A fighter archetype, it gets 4+Int Mod all Int based skills as class skills. 3 levels in that will get you a lot of what you're looking for. A level or two of Oracle with the Lore Mystery into Dissident of the Dawn? That would be different a really really really into Knowledge skills.

I had noticed that, and it's definitely an option. It's not exactly what I'm looking for though, so I'm going to hold out hope. Thanks though!

raxies94
2013-01-25, 10:32 PM
So, by 'poet' do you mean someone who makes poetry to impress the girls, or someone who keeps the history of a pre-literate culture, or one with limited literacy? They're not exclusive but they are different goals.

The first is a bard in all probability, the second might be a barbarian, perhaps with rage powers like spirit totem (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/rage-powers/paizo---rage-powers/spirit-totem-lesser-su) and/or intimidating glare (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/rage-powers/paizo---rage-powers/intimidating-glare-ex) if you want to get some mileage out of charisma.

I guess I'm thinking of the kind discussed on the TVTropes page. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WarriorPoet)

Invader
2013-01-26, 08:03 AM
Look at the warrior skald prc. It seems almost perfect for what you're looking for.

Clistenes
2013-01-26, 10:29 AM
Has anybody mentioned the Warrior Skald prestige class from Races of Faerun? It's 3.0, but easy to adapt to 3.5. It's essentially a warrior able to recite poetry with the same effect as bardic music.

Look at the warrior skald prc. It seems almost perfect for what you're looking for.

F*cking ninjas...!

Ravens_cry
2013-01-26, 11:48 AM
I'd just make a competent warrior and perhaps take a trait or two to add interesting class skills and take ranks in those skills, as this is mostly fluff and role play.

raxies94
2013-01-26, 12:58 PM
I'd just make a competent warrior and perhaps take a trait or two to add interesting class skills and take ranks in those skills, as this is mostly fluff and role play.

I did indeed consider this, but I really want to try to make it work mechanics wise as well if I can.

raxies94
2013-01-26, 02:16 PM

This does seem almost perfect. My only concern is that my DM is pretty iffy about doing this kind of thing, but I'll bring it up to him.