PDA

View Full Version : Warchain Optimization

Rishal
2013-01-26, 09:18 AM
Hey guys,

I'm starting a Goliath Warblade (using a Spiked Chain) and have a good idea of how I'd like to play him but am just looking for the best level progression.

Basically, I'm looking at using Improved Trip and Knockdown along with Combat Reflexes and Thicket of Blades to be a battlefield controller more or less. Other feats I think would work well with helping this idea are, Mage Slayer, Pierce Magical Concealment, Deft Opportunist, Robilar's Gambit, Defensive Sweep, Improved Combat Reflexes, maybe Stand Still?

The group I'm in does go into Epic levels. There are just so many feats that I can't see not taking a dip into a few levels of Fighter just not sure if that's the best move or at what level I should do it? Any help is greatly appreciated! Also, just a note we are only allowed one flaw (Shaky seems an obvious choice for this character.)

Hat-Trick
2013-01-26, 10:26 AM
I thought Thicket of Blades was a Crusader stance?

Rishal
2013-01-26, 10:46 AM
It is, I would use The Martial Study and Martial Stance feats to gain its use.

Hat-Trick
2013-01-26, 10:52 AM
In that case, I believe taking a 2-4 level dip sometime early in Warblade allows you to time your stance progression so that you don't have to chose two level one stances and can instead take a level 3 stance for your second Stance known.

As far as I know, as long as their good feats two levels of Fighter aren't going to ruin you and you could throw in a few levels of something else as a dip as well. Barbarian for pounce?

Vaz
2013-01-26, 11:06 AM
Barbarian 2 for Mountain Rage, Pounce and Improved Trip. Psychic Warrior 1 for Expansion.

If you jump pounce charge trip, you do so with a Strength bonus, with reach as a Huge character and with a bonus to trip as if you were Gargantuan. That's by ECL 4, and you can still take Combat Reflexes and EWP on top of that without Flaws. 2 Fighter Feats for fun and stuff takes you to ECL6, followed by Warblade 14.

You could alternatively drop Warblade for Crusader 1/Duskblade 13 with Martial Study Foehammer (to enable Crusader 1) for Full Attack touch spells, controlling a 45ftx45ft cube with AoO's. Take Defensive Rebuke as well for further AoO's shielding your allies who are within your huge bubble of AoO range; if they're attacked after you initiate your maneuvre, you get another one yourself.

GenericMook
2013-01-26, 11:10 AM
Barbarian 2 for Mountain Rage, Pounce and Improved Trip. Psychic Warrior 1 for Expansion.

IIRC, doesn't Expansion not work while Raging?

Also, I'd nab Stormguard Warrior. Combat Rhythm and Channel the Storm are just beautiful if you want to damage things really, really badly with power attack.

Rishal
2013-01-26, 11:10 AM
Sorry forgot to say that our DM doesn't allow psionics.

Vaz
2013-01-26, 11:22 AM
Even without Psionics, the build works. Just gives you another level to play around with.

Rishal
2013-01-26, 11:40 AM
Yeah, I was thinking at some point I'd need to invest in a removable item with Enlarge Person, which would make up for it. Can you layout the level progression and feat\ability gain with each level? That's what I've been having the most difficulty with, also any issues with taking the barbarian levels later or do those need to be my first levels?

Rishal
2013-01-26, 11:47 AM
IIRC, doesn't Expansion not work while Raging?

Also, I'd nab Stormguard Warrior. Combat Rhythm and Channel the Storm are just beautiful if you want to damage things really, really badly with power attack.

That's another 3 feats on top of the ones I've already listed, and no recommendations for how to grab all of them. Not trying to be rude just trying to understand your recommendation as these selections seem to be the opposite direction of what I was trying to go for.

GenericMook
2013-01-26, 04:40 PM
Combat Rhythm and Channel the Storm are parts of Stormguard Warrior (http://dndtools.eu/feats/tome-of-battle-the-book-of-nine-swords--88/stormguard-warrior--2787/). You can nab Stormguard Warrior at level 6 by taking Ironheart Aura as your 5th level Warblade feat.

Rishal
2013-01-26, 05:31 PM
Anyone have thoughts on the best level by level progression for this character idea?

GenericMook
2013-01-26, 05:37 PM
I could probably toss one together, but I'd basically have to know two things:

1) What's the starting level?
2) Flaws or not?

Rishal
2013-01-26, 05:39 PM
Combat Rhythm and Channel the Storm are parts of Stormguard Warrior (http://dndtools.eu/feats/tome-of-battle-the-book-of-nine-swords--88/stormguard-warrior--2787/). You can nab Stormguard Warrior at level 6 by taking Ironheart Aura as your 5th level Warblade feat.

I understand that but if you read my post, I'm looking for help in determining the best level by level progression that allows me to nab most if not all the feats listed in my OP geared toward a controlling/lockdown type of melee. What your suggesting is the complete opposite and you mentioned Power Attack, which wasn't even in the feats list I provided.

To me it just seemed odd that I posted something asking for help in grabbing all the feats I listed and instead of giving any information on that you said, oh take Power Attack, Ironheart Aura and Stormguard Warrior as well...

That's why I'm somewhat perplexed...

Rishal
2013-01-26, 05:41 PM
I could probably toss one together, but I'd basically have to know two things:

1) What's the starting level?
2) Flaws or not?

I'm starting at level 1 but trying to determine level progression up to and past 20.

Yes, one flaw allowed.

GenericMook
2013-01-26, 05:53 PM
Stormguard Warrior isn't just used with PA, though. That's one of its many uses. With Thicket of Blades, and stuff like Robilar's Gambit/Karmic Strike, you can generate an insane amount of AoO's. That, if you use the Channel the Storm option, lets you convert all of that into insane attack and damage options. It's why I made the suggestion.

Rishal
2013-01-26, 05:54 PM
Stormguard Warrior isn't just used with PA, though. That's one of its many uses. With Thicket of Blades, and stuff like Robilar's Gambit/Karmic Strike, you can generate an insane amount of AoO's. That, if you use the Channel the Storm option, lets you convert all of that into insane attack and damage options. It's why I made the suggestion.

Ok, I understood that guess I was just thrown off with the Power Attack suggestion.

Rishal
2013-01-26, 11:21 PM
So, I'm thinking if I dip a couple levels of Fighter at some point, why not just dip a level of Crusader after level 8, this would save me two feats since my initiator level would be high enough for a Thicket of Blades. Then realistically I can drop in a level of Barbarian at anytime to pick up Pounce and Mountain Rage. Anyone see any issues with that thought process?

Hat-Trick
2013-01-26, 11:41 PM
You have to remember that Initiators have to choose a first level Stance at their first class level, no matter how high their effective initiator. Throwing that out there since you mentioned simply grabbing one level of Crusader, you can't take Thicket of Blades that level. you'd have to use Martial Stance or get more levels of Crusader until you get a second stance.

Rishal
2013-01-26, 11:52 PM
Alright thanks for the heads up.

Rishal
2013-01-26, 11:59 PM
Still a 2 level dip into fighter and a 2 level dip into Crusader nets/saves more feat-wise than a 4 level dip into Fighter. I like it, Thanks for the help!