PDA

View Full Version : Death tainted (D&D3.5, trait, PEACH)

bobthe6th
2013-01-26, 01:11 PM
Ok, tombtainted soul is either a feat tax or a useless feat. For Dread necromancers, it is a feat tax that allows access to free healing and nice burst healing. For anything else, it is at best a nice flavor feat an at worst a liability. So here is an idea... make it a trait! bam! now it is properly a flavorish thing, with drawbacks and benefits without eating a feat slot.

Death tainted
You have been exposed to low levels of negative energy all your life, so your body has adapted.

Benefit
You are healed by negative energy as undead are, and spells treat you as the undead.

Drawback
You are harmed by positive energy as the undead are, and spells treat you as the undead.

Roleplaying Ideas
Characters with this trait might be depressed and morbid. They might also be entirely normal, with an odd background that induced this trait. The reaction of others interacting with the character might also vary. Druids might see them as aberrations, while necromancers might see them as desirable minions.

4th number
2013-01-26, 06:56 PM
I like it. Heavy drawback, but that's the whole point of the thing.

bobthe6th
2013-01-26, 07:06 PM
I like it. Heavy drawback, but that's the whole point of the thing.

just to check if I am missing the important points:

pros: heal from harm, free charnel touch healing, lots of undead enemies have negative energy attacks, and some undead specific buffs.

cons: Harm from heal, different type of healing then most healers use, anti undead spells tend to be more powerful, and most right thinking people are hate the undead.

Silva Stormrage
2013-01-26, 08:46 PM
Would things like rebuke and turn undead target you? They aren't spells but I believe there are a couple spells that duplicate their effects.

bobthe6th
2013-01-26, 09:15 PM
I would say no, as there isn't any turn living like effect... Also greater turn undead exists, and so can make for some nasty save or die effects.

nonsi
2013-01-27, 01:51 AM
I can offer another motivation for this change: one does not get to choose how his/her body reacts to certain energies - just as one doesn't get to wake up one day and proclaim "from now on, I'm immune to fire".

vasharanpaladin
2013-01-27, 03:03 AM
I can offer another motivation for this change: one does not get to choose how his/her body reacts to certain energies - just as one doesn't get to wake up one day and proclaim "from now on, I'm immune to fire".

I beg to differ, that's exactly the sort of mindset that leads to becoming a spellcaster. :smallamused: