PDA

View Full Version : Druid spellcasting prc

Shinovar
2013-01-26, 03:58 PM
So I was thinking about combining the deadly hunter and the druidic avenger prc to give me a cool theme on a druid. I know it isn't nearly as strong, but with my group, that's a good thing.

I know that it's usually an awful Idea to prc out with druids, but since I don't need to advance my AC or wildshape I figured why not. However, I am not familiar with what prcs would still progress casting and give me something cooler than just sticking with druid, which seems a waste.

We don't allow dungeon or dragon and setting specific books should be avoided, although I might be able to get specific things approved.

Psyren
2013-01-26, 04:08 PM
If you don't mind being Raptoran, the Skypledged PrC (RotW) gets access to a ton of cleric spells from their divine spellpool feature.

Contemplative also gets you more spells via domains, along with the domain granted abilities as well.

zimmerwald1915
2013-01-26, 04:14 PM
If you don't mind being Raptoran, the Skypledged PrC (RotW) gets access to a ton of cleric spells from their divine spellpool feature.
http://i47.tinypic.com/2m2yjhv.png

Psyren
2013-01-26, 04:16 PM
I didn't mean to imply that Raptoran was bad - I said that in case he had a specific race in mind for his druid :smalltongue:

Daftendirekt
2013-01-26, 04:20 PM
What does one of the Doctors have to do with Raptorans? :smallconfused:

Urpriest
2013-01-26, 05:06 PM
What does one of the Doctors have to do with Raptorans? :smallconfused:

It's the beak.

Anyway, Winterhaunt of Iborighu looks pretty cool for this sort of character. You can regain a limited version of Wildshape with Landforged Walker if that's of interest.

Tokuhara
2013-01-26, 05:20 PM
Holt Warden could be an interesting choice, as could Servant of Bharrai (Exalted Deeds).

It depends on your particular style.

Me personally, on a Gish-y druid (using the aformentioned version)

Killoren (fey type, 1/day smite, and other sweet class features)
Avenging Deadly Hunter/Servant of Bharrai/Contemplative/Sacred Exorcist

Shinovar
2013-01-26, 05:26 PM
Skypledged looks cool. Its entrance is a little later than I would like since we usually don't go much into the double digits, but I can fill out the earlier levels with others.

The spellpool looks interesting and I like the ability to get cleric spells, but am I correct that each spell cast from it basically costs me two spells? One left open and one to pay the debt?

Shinovar
2013-01-26, 05:28 PM
Winterhaunt of Iborighu does look interesting, but I am concerned about the feat tax. I wouldn't take any of those three naturally (our DM doesn't let us get much use out of crafting, and the other 2 key off charisma, which I wasn't planning on having much of). I'll keep it in mind though.

Shinovar
2013-01-26, 05:31 PM
Contemplative is absolutely something I will dip into for a level assuming we get high enough to get much use out of. And assuming I can get my DM to ok various dips. He usually isn't a fan unless I roleplay the transition.

On second thought, I just realized that I can never enter contemplative from druid. It needs 13 ranks in a crossclass skill. Maybe I can get them from other PrCs? Still, it will be a stretch.

Shinovar
2013-01-26, 05:40 PM
Servant of Bharrai looks like a cool concept, but I don't think I want to play with the vows. And I won't have Kn arcana as a class skill

Holt Warden on the other hand, looks absolutely amazing. That is by far the frontrunner. Thank you!

Does anyone know of any that can be entered into before 6th level? I have very little reason to advance as druid if I can get spellcasting somewhere else.

Tokuhara
2013-01-26, 05:59 PM
My big point is that Servant is a good option, and if you take it later, the Knowledge Arcana portion isn't as painful.

Another option is to go Holt Warden into Sacred Exorcist (which nets you Knowledge: Religion and Turn Undead for DMM), then grab a level in Contemplative, one in Church Inquisitor, and one in Divine Oracle. All of the latter dips net you a domain each (1 of your choice, the Inquisition, and the Oracle domain)

Another, and equally viable option, is the Horizon Walker. You can enter it as a Druid 6 and it nets you some horribly nast abilities (my favorite being a dimensional door sla)

For this version, I suggest Human Avenging Deadly Hunter/Holt Warden/Horizon Walker. Very druid flavor without the Wildshape/Animal Companion

_flint_
2013-01-26, 06:55 PM
there's always blighter (complete divine). It's easy to enter, and actually gives you back your wild shape.

Stormlord (complete divine) also seems like it would fit pretty well. You'd end up as a full casting gish type

Fist of the forest (complete champion) would be good if it stacks with the class features you already have. gives you CON to AC, a variant of rage, and some odds and ends. It's not casting, but i thought it might be appropriate
Combine with the frostrager from frostburn for a different form of flurry of blows and better raging

Swanmay (BoED) could be okay, but also requires vows and not very flexible RP-wise

evil? why not vermin lord? (BoVD)

more to come in a few hours