PDA

View Full Version : Unicornify everything! (The Alicorn, 3.5 template, PEACH)

Frathe
2013-01-26, 04:00 PM
Alicorn
Alicorns are generally unusually beautiful specimens of their kinds, and are distinguished by their prominent spiral horns.

Creating An Alicorn
"Alicorn" is an inherited template that can be added to any living, corporeal creature of good or neutral alignment except for plants (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

An alicorn uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Size and Type
Animals or vermin with this template become magical beasts, and humanoids with this template become monstrous humanoids; otherwise, the creature type is unchanged. Size is unchanged. Do not recalculate Hit Dice, base attack bonus, saves, or skill points if its type changes.

Speed
An alicorn gains 10 ft. in speed from the base speed of the base creature.

Armor Class
Natural armor improves by +1.

Attack
An alicorn gains a horn attack as its primary natural weapon (see table for damage); the base creature’s natural weapons become secondary natural weapons.

{table=head]Size|Horn Damage
Fine|1
Diminutive|1d2
Tiny|1d3
Small|1d4
Medium|1d6
Large|1d8
Huge|2d6
Gargantuan|3d6
Colossal|4d6[/table]

Special Qualities
An alicorn gains the following special properties.

Magic Circle against Evil (Su)
This ability continuously duplicates the effect of the spell. An alicorn cannot suppress this ability.

Alicorns can use detect evil at will as a free action.

Once per day an alicorn can use greater teleport to move anywhere within its home. It cannot teleport beyond the boundaries of its local native environment, nor back from outside.

An alicorn can use cure light wounds three times per day and cure moderate wounds once per day (caster level 5th) by touching a wounded creature with its horn. Once per day it can use neutralize poison (DC 21, caster level 8th) with a touch of its horn. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Wild Empathy (Ex)
This power works like the druid’s wild empathy class feature, except that an alicorn has a +6 racial bonus on the check.

Abilities
Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +2, Con +2, Wis +4, Cha +6. An alicorn's Intelligence is at least 3.

Skills
Alicorns have a +4 racial bonus on Move Silently checks and a +3 competence bonus on Survival checks within the boundaries of their local native environment.

Environment
Either the same as the base creature or temperate forests.

Challenge Rating
Same as the base creature +1 (minimum 2).

Alignment
Always chaotic good.

Level Adjustment
Same as base creature +2.

Frathe
2013-01-26, 04:02 PM
I realize this doesn't seem immediately useful... but come on, you could have a magical horned snake, or a speedy magical horned monkey. That's pretty cool.

Or, of course, you could have a horned mule or donkey, or zebra or giraffe. All the variety!

I realize that as written you could apply this... to a unicorn. And I think it would then have two horns. Interesting.

Zale
2013-01-26, 04:06 PM
Alicorn Human..

Stabby.

Pokonic
2013-01-26, 04:06 PM
Beware the Alicornaphant!:smalltongue:

Eldan
2013-01-26, 04:23 PM
Type entry is a bit unusual. You might make it "animals become magical beasts, otherwise unchanged", that's more usual.

Otherwise, you have humans becoming magical beasts. Or outsiders.

Frathe
2013-01-26, 04:34 PM
Type entry is a bit unusual. You might make it "animals become magical beasts, otherwise unchanged", that's more usual.

Otherwise, you have humans becoming magical beasts. Or outsiders.

Good point. I'll change it.

Edit: Huh, should aberrations become magical beasts too? I'm not sure either way. Probably not; I'll leave it for now.

Edit: Actually, humanoids should probably become monstrous humanoids; they do gain magical abilities and "animalistic features".

vasharanpaladin
2013-01-26, 07:20 PM
Needs at-will cure [x] wounds/heal and neutralize poison delivered by contact from the horn. :smalltongue:

Frathe
2013-01-26, 07:21 PM
So now animals and vermin become magical beasts and humanoids become monstrous humanoids. Also, now things of the plant type can't become alicorns.

Any objections?

Frathe
2013-01-26, 07:23 PM
Needs at-will cure [x] wounds/heal and neutralize poison delivered by contact from the horn. :smalltongue:

Huh? It already has those, if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: Ooh, by at-will do you mean unlimited? Seems kinda OP. :smallsigh:

Pokonic
2013-01-26, 07:23 PM
So now animals and vermin become magical beasts and humanoids become monstrous humanoids. Also, now things of the plant type can't become alicorns.

Any objections?

No.

Also, I must wonder what would be better: A unicorn with the winged template or a pegusus with this one.

Frathe
2013-01-26, 07:42 PM
I'm leaning towards a winged unicorn being better, because unicorns have a higher (cohort) LA, and both template LAs are the same (according to my online research).

Frathe
2013-01-26, 08:27 PM
The Dragicorn! Yes. :smallbiggrin:

Frathe
2013-01-26, 09:41 PM
I just realized: if you applied both this template and my centaur template (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14593650#post14593650) to a humanoid: instant Centauricorn!

thethird
2013-01-27, 03:31 PM
Are you familiar with the Valicorn template from ghostwalk web enhancement?

I have always liked a Winged Valicorn Valenar horse for myself.

Frathe
2013-01-27, 03:37 PM
Are you familiar with the Valicorn template from ghostwalk web enhancement?

I have always liked a Winged Valicorn Valenar horse for myself.

No, I am not. I hadn't even heard of Ghostwalk until now. That is pretty similar (even the name), but it can only be applied to equines. :smallbiggrin:

thethird
2013-01-27, 03:38 PM
Yeah, it's just that seeing the template it looked pretty similar to it and wanted to point it out. It might give some inspiration for balance and stuff.