PDA

View Full Version : Demonic Sorcerer gone Good

Nullmancer
2013-01-27, 12:12 AM
Okay, this time around, I'm building a level ten sorcerer, human, with some kind of hereditary past involving demonic forces. I want to turn those demonic abilities back on the evil guys, and as a result, making him good aligned. This is a character I'm just building for fun, since, well, in my opinion, I just like sorcerers more than most other classes. I would go favored soul with a demonic origin, but I don't even know if that's possible.

My stats are as follows:

STR: 10
DEX: 14
CON: 13
INT: 16
WIS: 17
CHA: 16

Now, I'm not much knowledgeable when it comes to anything demonic, except for the Book of Vile Darkness (which kind of isn't worth really buying except for ur-priest, but he's...lame), so, if you guys know about specific books, feats, templates, or maybe just a race with a level adjustment that is more prominent than human, I would very much appreciate it if you would mention them.

Thank you in advance.

Karnith
2013-01-27, 12:29 AM
Okay, this time around, I'm building a level ten sorcerer, human, with some kind of hereditary past involving demonic forces. I want to turn those demonic abilities back on the evil guys, and as a result, making him good aligned. This is a character I'm just building for fun, since, well, in my opinion, I just like sorcerers more than most other classes. I would go favored soul with a demonic origin, but I don't even know if that's possible.

My stats are as follows:

STR: 10
DEX: 14
CON: 13
INT: 16
WIS: 17
CHA: 16

Now, I'm not much knowledgeable when it comes to anything demonic, except for the Book of Vile Darkness (which kind of isn't worth really buying except for ur-priest, but he's...lame), so, if you guys know about specific books, feats, templates, or maybe just a race with a level adjustment that is more prominent than human, I would very much appreciate it if you would mention them.

Thank you in advance.
The Abyssal Heritor feats in the Fiendish Codex I represent powers gained from demonic descent; the Player's Handbook II has a similar line of feats keyed off of the Fiendish Heritage feat (and are similar, though more limited, to the Draconic Heritage feats in Races of the Dragon, Dragon Magic, and probably other places).

The Fiend-Blooded prestige class in Heroes of Horror represents a spontaneous spellcaster who gains arcane power from his demonic blood, eventually taking on fiendish characteristics. It's a 9/10 casting class that only loses a spellcasting level at the end, and which has a pretty cool capstone (though it doesn't really compensate for the lost spellcasting). Be aware, though, that it requires 8 ranks of Knowledge (the planes) to enter, which is not a sorcerer class skill. This was clearly an oversight by the writers, so talk to your DM about whether or not you can have it reduced to 4 ranks, or ignore it altogether.

As to races, tieflings are the descendants of fiends, and with only a +1 level adjustment they aren't the worst choice for a spellcaster, though I wouldn't recommend them for playing a sorcerer (-2 Cha penalty is not what you want).

JeminiZero
2013-01-27, 12:30 AM
As a spellcaster, you want as little LA as possible. Preferably 0. To that end, I would recommend taking a suitable LA 0 humanoid race (e.g. Changeling for change shape, or Dragonborn/Raptoran for Wings), and applying the Otherworldly feat from Players Guide to Faerun (which changes your type to Outsider), and just refluffling it as a minor demon.

Also possibly suitable is the Hellbred race from Fiendish Codex 2.

Nullmancer
2013-01-27, 03:53 AM
Okay, that otherworldly feat looks amazing.

Also, thanks for the book references. Good material. :)

chainlink
2013-01-27, 05:31 AM
If you are considering Fiend-Blooded you can go for the planar sorcerer variant to get Know(The Planes) on your list.

Psyren
2013-01-27, 12:18 PM
The Fiend-Blooded prestige class in Heroes of Horror represents a spontaneous spellcaster who gains arcane power from his demonic blood, eventually taking on fiendish characteristics. It's a 9/10 casting class that only loses a spellcasting level at the end, and which has a pretty cool capstone (though it doesn't really compensate for the lost spellcasting). Be aware, though, that it requires 8 ranks of Knowledge (the planes) to enter, which is not a sorcerer class skill. This was clearly an oversight by the writers, so talk to your DM about whether or not you can have it reduced to 4 ranks, or ignore it altogether.

Another route is to take planar sorcerer substitution levels (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040711b&page=1), which do have Knowledge Planes. It even fits themewise!

Mongrel
2013-01-27, 12:34 PM
You might want to check out the Malconvoker prestige class in Complete Scoundrel. It's basically a good aligned caster who binds demons and devils to his bidding.

Amnestic
2013-01-27, 02:20 PM
and applying the Otherworldly feat from Players Guide to Faerun (which changes your type to Outsider), and just refluffling it as a minor demon.

Would need prior agreement from the DM, since Otherworldly has racial restrictions (Deep Imaskari, Elf, and Spirit Folk) along with being a Faerun regional requirement.