PDA

View Full Version : Bridging the Casting Gap

Drakevarg
2013-01-27, 05:47 AM
Is there any way to increase spell progression to circumvent gaps in a prestige class's spellcasting? Specifically, I'm trying to find a way to cast 4th level spells with a Sorcerer 5*/Dragonheart Mage 2.

*Worth noting that I have a houserule that effectively increases the casting progression of a sorcerer by one level, because my group is universally annoyed by the one-level-late progression compared to pretty much every other full caster in the game. So for the purposes of that, assume sorcerer means wizard in this context.

As usual, no material outside of the books listed in my signature. So far the only solutions I've thought of are the Practice Spellcaster feat and the Magic Rating variant in Unearthed Arcana, both of which advance essentially everything EXCEPT spell level.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-01-27, 07:17 AM
Versatile spellcaster will let you cast spells a level higher, but it won't help you learn anything higher than you already know. I'm not sure it's in your list there anyway. Sanctum spell (CAr) can sorta do the same thing, making one of your highest level spells count as a level higher in your sanctum.

What you're asking for is something the folks at WotC tried very assiduously to avoid. If there's a way to do it, which I doubt, then it'll suck up some serious resources to do.

Drakevarg
2013-01-27, 07:39 AM
Hm. I guess I'll just throw up my hands and make it Sorcerer 5/Dragonheart Mage 3. +1 CR shouldn't hurt too badly, considering my party's tendency to power through fights I didn't expect them to survive.

Eldariel
2013-01-27, 07:50 AM
Kobolds have access to Greater Draconic Rite of Passage (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a). Web Enhancement to RotD.

Drakevarg
2013-01-27, 07:57 AM
Kobolds have access to Greater Draconic Rite of Passage (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a). Web Enhancement to RotD.

Unfortunately, the build in question needs to be human for plot reasons (specifically, it's for a mummified king).

Eldariel
2013-01-27, 08:16 AM
Unfortunately, the build in question needs to be human for plot reasons (specifically, it's for a mummified king).

*shrug* Dragonblood Pool is in Complete Mage so you're pretty much out of luck short of Magic Jar/Polymorph Any Object-abuse.