PDA

View Full Version : Help me understand this?

Jane_Smith
2013-01-27, 08:00 AM
Ok, I am building a human tinker, the base class from the world of warcraft rpg, which uses the d20 system almost identical to 3.5, except with new crafting rules for (Technology) to make firearms, mecha suits, all that crazy stuff. So obviously I am going to be optimizing my craft speed, bonuses, etc with every possible feat I can find from any source in the universe thats based on a d20 system and running it by my dm to give me more options.

So I have found 2 feats that sound rather potent together, but I am trying to figure out how exactly they would overlap or stack, if at all;

1: Master Artisan (Homebrew, DM Approved)
This feat requires you to have at least 1 rank in four separate craft skills and skill focus (any one craft) as a feat. When using a craft skill in which you have the skill focus feat, you may craft anything within its means with only 1/6th its market value in base materials instead of 1/3th, and you may make craft checks in a day instead of a week, and by the hour instead of day. And you gain +2 to all craft checks you have a rank in.

2: Scavenge Materials (From WoW, the RPG)
This feat reduces the base market value in materials you need to craft an object to 1/10th its original value.

So how exactly would this work? 1/10th of 1/6th? 1/6th of 1/10th? Is there some kinda system like adding crit multiplyers, etc, that I should take into account? I can not find ANY rules related for this, any help would be massively appreciated, and cake will be delivered on demand.

Hm, a note for anyone interested in tinker in your own games, the Dawnforge, Age of Legends supplement has feats for high elves called "Song of Stream and Stone" that allows an elf to sing in place of any tools they would need for a object they are crafting made of gems, pottery, sculpture, stonemasonry, etc, but take twice as long and are always considered masterwork, doubling there gp value. Uses craft skill still, though I guess most dm's would allow a perform check instead by virtue of the theme.

shadow_archmagi
2013-01-27, 08:03 AM
Unfortunately, there is no strict ruling for stacking cost reducers, and it'd be up your DM to determine.

Jane_Smith
2013-01-27, 08:11 AM
Yeah, thats what I feared. I hoped someone would have found a solution to this problem and I have been searching other forums and wiki's, to no luck. : (

Darrin
2013-01-27, 08:38 AM
If you go strictly by the RAW:

You have two effects.

1) Replace 1/3 to 1/6.
2) Reduce X to 1/10.

If you take them in order 1) to 2), you get 1/10.

If you take them in the other order, you either get 1/10, because 1/6 can't replace 1/10, or you don't do it at all because going up to 1/6 from 1/10 would be worse.

So I think you say it's 1/10 and call it a day.

Jane_Smith
2013-01-27, 09:07 AM
Hm, true enough I guess. Though the reduced crafting time from artisan would still be effect even with the 1/10th value from scavenged, so getting both is still worth it I assume?

Darrin
2013-01-27, 09:32 AM
Hm, true enough I guess. Though the reduced crafting time from artisan would still be effect even with the 1/10th value from scavenged, so getting both is still worth it I assume?

Yes, for the hourly checks option (although I'm puzzled how that's supposed to work) and the +2 bonus. Every bonus on a crafting check means you produce more SP/CP (or whatever you're using to track progress), so you craft faster.

Jane_Smith
2013-01-27, 06:17 PM
The idea is, you make silver piece progress by the week normally, and copper piece progress by the day, the first feat makes it where you can do a weeks progress in a single day or a day's in a single hour for the same checks for the same pieces. So its like a 700%+ speed up, which is perfect for pc crafters with a low down time campaign like we play.