PDA

View Full Version : Mundane Tools and Gear Help

PlusSixPelican
2013-01-27, 12:40 PM
So, I'm looking at non-magical gear as part of the pre-game character prep, and I'm a little lost on what to get. Ten-foot poles are useful, and I picked up a crowbar, but past that, I'm a bit lost on what I want.

GreenETC
2013-01-27, 01:33 PM
You're probably best off taking a peek through Shax's Handy Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101) and finding some low cost mundane items there.

Slipperychicken
2013-01-27, 02:06 PM
Tongs can be nice, for when you really don't want to touch something.

Lots of rope.

Mule and a cart or wagon. For when the DM thinks he's being clever by having giant valuable things which are "too heavy". Or if you're in one of those groups which takes everything not bolted down (including locks and such), this is where you pack the loot. Makes your life a lot easier if you use the encumbrance rules (two mules on a wagon can haul ~7,000lb). Also have some means of replacing the mounts and repairing the wagon, such as the spells Mount and Make Whole.

Azoth
2013-01-27, 03:57 PM
*firm supporter of the "Take EVERYTHING, even if it is nailed down!" Fan Club*

If you go the mule/cart route, make sure to hire some NPC guards to watch the cart when you go into dungeons for extended periods. Too often has a DM had my cart pilfered by roaming bandits while we were otherwise engaged away from it.

I gotta agree on Shax haversack. So many gems in there.

Also, gotta recommend the adamantine dagger when you can afford it. It has 1001 uses.

Personally though, I love sunrods. Should see if your DM will let you get them in different colors. They can work great as signals, and for helping spot things you might not have otherwise seen.

On the same note, I can't remember the book right now and I want to say either the A&E or RotW has signal arrows. These babies are pure gold, and worth every copper to me.