PDA

View Full Version : Shacked City vs Pathfinder

Smeggedoff
2013-01-27, 12:58 PM
So I've tried to run shackled city twice. Once I ran it at University for a bunch of people and it was great fun. A little lethal but we had a laugh.
Sadly I couldn't continue running that after a certain point.
More recently I tried to start up an online game which fell through.

So I'm trying again.
But I'm considering having the players roll up using pathfinder classes.
Can anyone foresee any problems or major hurdles for this? or is pathfinder similar enough that I should stick with 3.5?

Psyren
2013-01-27, 03:27 PM
Not sure what shackled city is but, in general, PF classes (and races) are stronger than 3.5; if your players were having survivability issues before then that might help.

silverwolfer
2013-01-27, 04:35 PM
Evil schemes are afoot in Cauldron, a metropolis of merchants built into the caldera of a long-dormant volcano. To foil the agenda of evil cultists, your band of adventurers must brave haunted jungle ruins, slay mighty dragons, and bind themselves to a layer of the infinite Abyss. Will their swords and spells be enough to save the Shackled City?

Originally published as 11 linked adventures in the award-winning Dungeon magazine, the Shackled City Adventure Path is the most ambitious official Dungeons & Dragons campaign ever created. Now, for the first time ever, everything you need to play the campaign has been compiled into a deluxe 416-page full-color hardcover that also includes an 8-panel fully detailed map of the City of Cauldron, a 12-page full-color map and illustration booklet, and a brand new Shackled City adventure written by fan favorite author Christopher Perkins.

Urpriest
2013-01-27, 04:38 PM
I'm a bit surprised there isn't an updated version out there. Paizo published most of their adventure paths, and the new ones use PF rules. They haven't updated their old ones?

Exirtadorri
2013-01-27, 08:38 PM
I can actually put my two cents in for once :D

I am a PF player after many years of DnD. PF doesn't have the number of options that 3.5 does, but it has stronger ones (as long as you seriously don't consider pun pun an option)

A major change from from 3.5 to PF is the combat maneuver thing. Once you rework that, you'll see people able to handle the monsters much easier. Once you get to the part where you're about to get the eye of the smoking mountain, the paladin and anything with a smite starts to really shine. Before that point it's pretty much the same.

I know cause we ran SC as a pf group and found it to be much easier due to the scaled power of the group.