PDA

View Full Version : DnD Classes in Modern World...

UnjustCustos
2013-01-27, 01:37 PM
Friend of mine is talking about running a D20 Modern game but with DnD classes and magic. Now while this idea has me drooling all over the place I'm curious how you would connect the fluff to a lot of classes if they existed today. While things like Cleric and Fighter are easy enough, what about the others. Where would you put the other classes in today's society? Any and all thoughts welcome.

Flickerdart
2013-01-27, 01:58 PM
Class fluff and crunch are easily separable. Who is to say whether that Marine is a Fighter, Rogue, Barbarian, or Ranger, or even a multiclass of all four? Maybe that brilliant chemist is a potion-brewing Wizard, but could also be an Artificer, Archivist, Sorcerer, Cleric, Healer...

Dissonance
2013-01-27, 02:18 PM
Most of the martial classes would be a veteran of some sort, or they could be someone who survives in teh citys, or maybe some other combination. Connecting value is they are all mean fighting machines.

Arcane classes are also easy enough. An easy way is to link them and their magic to technology. most tech can replicate a lot of magic. maybe a fireball spell would equate to a flamethrower, and the spellslots are just how much of this cool equipment they can carry at one time.

Divine classes are some people of the god who is actually there and around.

TuggyNE
2013-01-27, 07:21 PM
Arcane classes are also easy enough. An easy way is to link them and their magic to technology. most tech can replicate a lot of magic. maybe a fireball spell would equate to a flamethrower, and the spellslots are just how much of this cool equipment they can carry at one time.

Ehhh, fireballs and flamethrowers are quite different; one can only be produced a limited number of times per day by a sufficiently skilled person and creates a large poof, the other is a jet that can be used by anyone as long as there's fuel, and can be sabotaged or malfunction with unpleasant results.

Darth Stabber
2013-01-27, 07:53 PM
Ehhh, fireballs and flamethrowers are quite different; one can only be produced a limited number of times per day by a sufficiently skilled person and creates a large poof, the other is a jet that can be used by anyone as long as there's fuel, and can be sabotaged or malfunction with unpleasant results.

I think hand grenade is a better analogy for fireball. If you prep 1, you obviously brought 1 grenade, if you prep'd 10, you have a bandoleer of them. Though I honestly think that modern scientists and engineers are better represented by artificers than wizards.

Flickerdart
2013-01-27, 08:01 PM
I think hand grenade is a better analogy for fireball. If you prep 1, you obviously brought 1 grenade, if you prep'd 10, you have a bandoleer of them. Though I honestly think that modern scientists and engineers are better represented by artificers than wizards.
It's more like a rocket launcher - you need line of sight, and the little bead flies hundreds of feet.