PDA

View Full Version : Spell Slot Question

Linguz
2013-01-27, 03:41 PM
In D&D 3.5e and PF, a character can get bonus spell slots from having enough Int/Wis/Cha. This means that they usually have higher level spell slots than they would normally have access to.

Related to this, I have seen two friends tell me I'm wrong on this, but I do not believe I am. The question is this: Can you use higher spell slots for a lower level spell before you would normally have access to those spell slots?

An example is this: A lv1 wizard can normally cast a single lv1 spell per day. But if that wizard has 14 intellect, he/she can cast two lv1 spells per day and he has a spell slot for from bonus int for lv2 spells. Can that wizard use that lv2 spell slot at lv1 to cast another lv1 spell?

phlidwsn
2013-01-27, 03:47 PM
Nope, need to already be able to cast at that level (0 or more slots at that level)
From the SRD under Ability Scores

Abilities and Spellcasters

The ability that governs bonus spells depends on what type of spellcaster your character is: Intelligence for wizards; Wisdom for clerics, druids, paladins, and rangers; or Charisma for sorcerers and bards. In addition to having a high ability score, a spellcaster must be of high enough class level to be able to cast spells of a given spell level. (See the class descriptions for details.)

Vaz
2013-01-27, 03:48 PM
No

~extra words~

Karnith
2013-01-27, 03:49 PM
In D&D 3.5e and PF, a character can get bonus spell slots from having enough Int/Wis/Cha. This means that they usually have higher level spell slots than they would normally have access to.

Related to this, I have seen two friends tell me I'm wrong on this, but I do not believe I am. The question is this: Can you use higher spell slots for a lower level spell before you would normally have access to those spell slots?

An example is this: A lv1 wizard can normally cast a single lv1 spell per day. But if that wizard has 14 intellect, he/she can cast two lv1 spells per day and he has a spell slot for from bonus int for lv2 spells. Can that wizard use that lv2 spell slot at lv1 to cast another lv1 spell?
You are mistaken. In order to use the bonus spell slots gained from a high spellcasting ability (even to cast a lower-level spell), you must be of high enough class level in the spellcasting class to be have spell slots of that level.

The SRD has the following to say (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#abilitiesAndSpellcasters):
In addition to having a high ability score, a spellcaster must be of high enough class level to be able to cast spells of a given spell level.

So a wizard must be at least third level to use his second-level spell slots, a sorcerer must be fourth level, and so on.

Linguz
2013-01-27, 03:52 PM
Thank you for your quick response.