PDA

View Full Version : Search? (oh god) - Oracle Help? - (nervous look)

RoseyNZ
2013-01-27, 06:01 PM
OK, So I've been to a lot of forums & every where I go, there is always a post that says "Use the search function first!" - So I do.

Google brought me here, when I searched for "Pathfinder Oracle Multi Class" - I've registered & now I can't, for the life of me, find the search function in here.

Is it just me? am I going crazy?

Anyway, rather than just waste the post, I'll put a few questions about my Oracle in here.

Background. Level 9 Oracle, Blind Curse, Life Mastery.
Use a long Bow mainly, + mace if I need to be in Melee.
Used to be the main party healer, until we had a cleric join recently, now I just buff & plink, although we don't really do much combat.

We're in a mainly Undead adventure, with the odd orc / goblin excursion.

1) Equipment direction
I have 21AC, +5 Dex, Mithril Shirt +1, Ring of Protection +1, Neck of Natural Armour +1.
I did consider getting a buckler for a few more AC, but wasn't sure it was worth the Coin. Because we're attacking undead, cash isn't easy to come by.

2) Class choice
OK, since the L9 Cleric came along, I've been superfluous to healing demand. It's good to be able to spread out and not get cone of cold on the entire party (has happened twice now) - but I don't really need to do much healing more than what I can do now. So I was thinking perhaps multi classing to something like Sorcerer, looking towards a prestige class later on perhaps?

Suggestions to complement my archery / casting abilities would be good.

3) More of a general question: You encounter a wall of force, whats the best way to break it down? or do we attempt to go around it / wait for it to wear off? It's got stone walls on either side, would masonary fold quicker than a wall of force?

Additional notes: Our party = 2x Armigers, 1x Shield Fighter, Cleric, Oracle, Ranger, Wizard. Level 9.

Gnomish Wanderer
2013-01-27, 06:04 PM
While the advice to use the search function generally holds true, right now the Search function has been disabled on the forums, as posted about here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257651).

I will let more competent character builders handle your other inquiries.

Flickerdart
2013-01-27, 06:05 PM
The search function was disabled due to the site constantly breaking. Use Google with "site:giantitp.com" to search the forum.

Does your group allow 3.5 content, or just straight PF?

RoseyNZ
2013-01-27, 06:34 PM
Thanks guys!!

We use PF, but most of the books are legit.

Core, APG, Ultimate Equip/Magic.

Sayt
2013-01-27, 06:50 PM
For life oracles, consider a paladin dip, if your stats and alignment can handle it, and maybe try and build into the Oradin (http://alt.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257365).

Urpriest
2013-01-27, 06:55 PM
Multiclassing Sorceror won't help your casting very much, since you'd be operating with first level spells which won't be very useful at this level. I'd look around for damage-dealing Oracle spells to learn, there should be enough to be useful.

RoseyNZ
2013-01-27, 07:21 PM
I'm Neutral Good, although I know we have a combo or chaotic and evil people in the party.

I'll have a read up on Paladin requirements, could be worth a shot.

:smalleek:

navar100
2013-01-27, 09:14 PM
You could multiclass barbarian then become a Rage Prophet. It's not the greatest prestige class, but if multiclassing anyway you're not caring about new revelations and you're now improving your combat prowess.

Does the cleric player want to be healbot all the time? You can do a bit more than just Channel Energy. You're not obsolete just staying in Oracle. Pick more combative spells to change your tactics a bit. Take Righteous Might. Take Grace (no AoO for moving until end of turn) and be more maneuverable in combat than the cleric since you can cast it whenever you want or need to where as if the cleric took it he'd probably only prepare it once. If you don't want to be a warrior-type take more attack spells. Flame Strike, Blindness, Hold Person, Command, Greater Command do just fine.

If your Intelligence is decent enough take 3 levels of wizard then go Mystic Theurge. It would take 4 levels sorcerer. While both using Charisma for spells is convenient, having to wait 5 levels to become a Mystic Theurge maybe too frustrating. Waiting 4 levels using the wizard route is tough enough.

Also remember, as an Oracle there is one thing you can do the Cleric can't. You can spam those buff spells. If the cleric prepares Bull Strength he does it only once. You knowing Bull Strength can buff the entire party for a combat with it. You'll still have a couple of 2nd level spells slots left plus all your other spell slots you have not used. Spam some Shield of Faith too using 1st level spells. Don't do this every combat, especially if you typically have more than one combat a game day, but when the timing is right, such as you know you're about to have the BBEG fight, spam away!

Arbane
2013-01-27, 10:31 PM
If you're fighting a lot of undead, remember that Cure spells do damage to undead. And touch ACs tend to be a lot lower than regular AC.

RoseyNZ
2013-01-29, 04:07 PM
If you're fighting a lot of undead, remember that Cure spells do damage to undead. And touch ACs tend to be a lot lower than regular AC.

Aye, I've been using Channel Energy in Undead Skirmishes. Works wonders.

Actually, now that I think about it, one of my skills means I don't provoke AoO's when I cast Cure spells, would I still need to use a concentration check if they don't provoke AoO?

AoO are the main reason I don't cast in melee range.

TuggyNE
2013-01-29, 07:01 PM
Actually, now that I think about it, one of my skills means I don't provoke AoO's when I cast Cure spells, would I still need to use a concentration check if they don't provoke AoO?

No, why would you? You only need a concentration check to a) perform an action (such as spellcasting) that normally distracts you from ordinary defense long enough to provoke an AoO or b) concentrate on continuing an action that you would normally be distracted from by taking damage or some similar problem.

Novawurmson
2013-01-30, 12:01 AM
Decent Oracle guide here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WdtrZCESRmVfljXY196wMrMLTnS8Uzk4DEk3oQdVZok/edit?hl=en_US&pli=1). I'd also recommend checking out some Cleric guides for spellcasting lists and so forth.