PDA

View Full Version : Strange Loop, could use a rules lawyer. Possibly have infinite spellcaster level

Soranar
2013-01-27, 07:02 PM
Ok, here's my question.

Mystic Fire Knight (Paladin substitution level found in Champion of Valor) confers several spellcasting bonuses but the one I'm interested in is the following:

If she also has arcane spellcasting ability
from another class, she can add her caster level from that class
to this value to determine her paladin caster level

Turns out that Mystra is a lawful neutral deity
Nowhere does it say that Mystic Fire Knights need to be Good
Which means I can also take the Sword of the Arcane Order feat
Thus I can combine this with a Paladin of Tyranny Alternate class feature and be evil

Now, at level 14, I can cast 4th level divine spells and meet the requirements for Nar Demonbinder...

And Nar Demonbinder's caster level is :

The demonbinder's caster level is equal to his demonbinder level plus his levels in one other spellcasting class of his choice

Which begins the loop as my paladin caster level = Paladin Level /2 +2 + Nar Demonbinder

and my Nar Demonbinder caster level = Nar Demonbinder + Paladin caster level

So how would you rule it?

Flickerdart
2013-01-27, 07:07 PM
The Mystic Fire Knights are an order of regular Paladins, all of whom would fall as soon as they let you join.

Soranar
2013-01-27, 07:13 PM
The Mystic Fire Knights are an order of regular Paladins, all of whom would fall as soon as they let you join.

Ah well, never thought to check if the fluff had implied requirements. Though it seems obvious nar Demonbinder would get a similar loop with say, master spellthief.

JaronK
2013-01-27, 07:15 PM
Here's the thing... your demonbinder caster level is based on your levels in other casting classes, not your caster level. So it doesn't spike up like that. Thus, if you could make the alignments work, you could get a high caster level, but not super high.

JaronK

SimonMoon6
2013-01-27, 07:17 PM
The demonbinder's caster level is equal to his demonbinder level plus his levels in one other spellcasting class of his choice

If this is the actual wording, then you don't get to the paladin caster level, just the paladin level. Supposing you're a 14th paladin and 1st level demonbinder, then I'd say:

Demonbinder caster level = 1 + 14 = 15.

Paladin caster level = 7 + 2 + 15 = 24.

Which is still huge but not infinite.