PDA

View Full Version : Lycanthropes in Pathfinder

Yogibear41
2013-01-27, 07:34 PM
Hello all, I was curious if there are any exact rules on creating a lycanthrope as a PC using pathfinder rules. The CR for the template is only +1 but that is on top of either the base creature of the base animal whichever is higher. If I wanted to create a Were Dire Bear, Dire Bears having a CR of 7 the CR would be 8, however in all of the examples of lycanthropes the base creature always has an equal amount of class levels to the cr, for example 4 levles of barbarian to a cr 4 lycantrhope. If I wanted to start at level one however would the CR still be 8 because of the Dire Bear being 7? even though having only 1 hit die seems like it would make the CR lower, are there any rules in particular for an adjusted CR until the PC reaches a higher level?

Thanks for the Help

DonDuckie
2013-01-27, 07:46 PM
Any dire bear lycanthrope, with class levels from 1st through 8th would be dominated by the dire bear's CR 7, so the whole thing would be CR 8 until you reached barbarian 9th.

Having only one hit die makes it a very weak CR 8, but the abilities of lycanthropy are (IIRC) quite powerful for a low level character.

There are (to my knowledge) no rules for CR adjustment for PCs.

There is a guide line saying GMs should compare templated/made up monsters to other monsters to determine CR.

The CR system(and the lycanthrope template) isn't really intended for PCs. It's more of an encounter tool.