PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Making a Magic Sword More Awesome

Sacrieur
2013-01-27, 07:37 PM
So by some stroke of incredible luck I have stumbled across an intelligent item... An elven longsword. As my DM described it to me, it was an obsidian black and I don't know much else about it, other than my notion that it may have been masterwork was insulting. Oh, and I'm level 3.

It's magical too, I don't know which enchantments, though. The intelligent item is only mildly intelligent too, I think, I had to roll a 19 + spellcraft to just find out that it was intelligent.

There's just one problem: I'm a wizard, a conjurer to be more specific (an elven one at that). I don't really have much use for a sword, although my strength score is certainly high enough to wield one without stabbing myself.

Not that I would really be using it in combat anyway, why waste actions when I can just color spray or a billion of other more useful things?

My question is what can I do with this awesome weapon (that apparently likes me)? Perhaps more specifically, what can I do with this awesome weapon as a conjurer.

I am a spellbinder and my conjuration abilities are teleportation are summoner's charm.

Seer_of_Heart
2013-01-27, 07:41 PM
Assuming you're an elf or willing to waste a feat to use the weapon you could enter swiftblade for 9 levels loosing 3 caster levels but being quite a good gish.

Sacrieur
2013-01-27, 08:05 PM
Assuming you're an elf or willing to waste a feat to use the weapon you could enter swiftblade for 9 levels loosing 3 caster levels but being quite a good gish.

Eh, I'm not too powerful at the moment, no need to back off my conjuration and give up three levels of awesome power so I can go slicing things to bits, regardless of how awesome that meshes with my teleportation ability.

I'm far more useful to the party as a battlefield controller.

--

It's also a two feat dip to grab the class, both dodge and mobility are just eating up feats that would better serve me (augment summoning, toughness, extend spell).

BowStreetRunner
2013-01-27, 08:24 PM
Whirling Blade (MIC 238)

Sayt
2013-01-27, 08:30 PM
If you're lawful, Hellknight Signifier is a pretty cool PRC, full casting and 3/4 BAB. You get get to keep your casting advancement and improve your BAB, and get a handful of useful stuff. Other options to consider are the Eldritch Knight, which is easier to get into, Better BAB, but much more boring.

As for Swiftblade or MIC, thread specifies Pathfinder, not 3.5.

avr
2013-01-27, 08:38 PM
Find out whether this is a plot point before you decide what you're doing. Also note that if you go for improved familiar or something it may not necessarily be you wielding it.

For that matter, is there anyone else in the party who might get more mileage out of the sword & be willing to trade? Future favours or items if they have nothing else to offer.

Sacrieur
2013-01-27, 08:46 PM
Find out whether this is a plot point before you decide what you're doing. Also note that if you go for improved familiar or something it may not necessarily be you wielding it.

For that matter, is there anyone else in the party who might get more mileage out of the sword & be willing to trade? Future favours or items if they have nothing else to offer.

No other elves are in the party and it seems to have a particular likeness for me (probably due to me being an elf). Not very likely.

Hell Knight Enforcer (link (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/e-h/hellknight-signifer)) as it's apparently called, makes me wriggle with anticipation. It's just so badass, but I'm NG, so I'd have to do something to change my alignment.

Are there any other things I can do to make myself even more badass in this role? Supposing I jump through all the hoops to take it, even. It would make me the de facto paladin of the party too, which would be kind of epic.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-01-27, 08:51 PM
You could always dip Fighter or Barbarian for a level and then go for Eldritch Knight (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/prestigeClasses/eldritchKnight.html). You'd lose two caster levels, but you'd have full BAB for the next eleven levels, and either an extra feat or rage.

Sacrieur
2013-01-27, 08:55 PM
You could always dip Fighter or Barbarian for a level and then go for Eldritch Knight (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/prestigeClasses/eldritchKnight.html). You'd lose two caster levels, but you'd have full BAB for the next eleven levels, and either an extra feat or rage.

Here's the thing about full BAB vs. 3/4 BAB.

It's irrelevant because of transformation spell, and I could cast rage on myself if I wanted rage, as well. Even if rage is one my banned schools giving up two caster levels for it just doesn't seem worth it.

OverdrivePrime
2013-01-27, 09:11 PM
Wow - Hell Knight Enforcer looks like an amazing class, and more than makes up for the 3 feat investment.

Keep in mind that if you're strong for an elf wizard, it's nice to have a sword on hand to keep melee foes wary. If you can stab someone in the face instead of wasting a spell dealing with someone up close, that's extremely useful, particularly when you're a low level wizard with painfully limited spell selection.

Also, for sake of cool points, talk to your DM about putting a couple points into weapon drill and using sword katas with your sweet new sword for the somatic component of your spells. There's not much cooler than a wind whipping up around the elven caster using a black sword to harness the energy of the universe (http://members.xoom.it/rhiannon/whelan/Elric_stormbringer.jpg). :smallamused:

Um... if you should happen to find out that your new sword's name is "Stormbringer"... run.

Sacrieur
2013-01-27, 09:31 PM
5th: light armor proficiency + extend spell
7th: arcane armor proficiency
9th: medium armor proficiency

I'll also need to slay a devil with higher HD and have a hell knight emissary see it. Also need to switch over to LG.

All in all, I'd like to be able to take this class up by 11th level.

avr
2013-01-27, 09:32 PM
For medium armor prof. you'll need a dip in something, practically speaking. Magus would probably be useful to you, even if it only gives you light armor prof & you have to buy the next feat. If you prefer not to the spend the feat, Ranger with the Guide archetype might be useful to you.

Edit: OK, you have a plan. Never mind me.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-01-27, 09:35 PM
Here's the thing about full BAB vs. 3/4 BAB.

It's irrelevant because of transformation spell, and I could cast rage on myself if I wanted rage, as well. Even if rage is one my banned schools giving up two caster levels for it just doesn't seem worth it.

You become a fighting machine - stronger, tougher, faster, and more skilled in combat. Your mindset changes so that you relish combat and you can't cast spells, even from magic items.

you relish combat and you can't cast spells, even from magic items.

can't cast spells

I think I'll just leave it at that.

Sacrieur
2013-01-27, 09:41 PM
I think I'll just leave it at that.

Haha yeah, I'm aware.

As a conjurer I'll have summoned a creature that can cast the spells for me. And it's not like I'd be throwing around transformation all willy nilly, only if I need to gain more battle prowess. Also, because I can cast it at a lower CL, I can time it to end when I predict I'll need to cast spells.

Haste is by far the better option though.

For medium armor prof. you'll need a dip in something, practically speaking. Magus would probably be useful to you, even if it only gives you light armor prof & you have to buy the next feat. If you prefer not to the spend the feat, Ranger with the Guide archetype might be useful to you.

Magus would lose me a spell casting level, and while that battle casting ability looks nice, it only works for magus spells. I'd be better off just taking a class in barbarian or fighter as mentioned earlier to gain medium armor proficiency.

But I'm not too worried about feats, I'm really not feat starved.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-01-27, 09:56 PM
If you want to dip 6 levels (eek) or can convince your GM to lower it to 3 (because 6 levels really is bad and arbitrary), the Broad Study arcana (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/magus-arcana/paizo---magus-arcana/broad-study-ex) might be right up your alley.

Exirtadorri
2013-01-27, 10:53 PM
3 levels isn't really a dip. And 6 is just a huge waste of time

Corlindale
2013-01-28, 02:25 AM
If you can somehow get to add magical properties to the sword, there may be a few enchantments that work fine even if you never use the sword to attack with. Dueling comes to mind as the most obvious one - one of the very few ways to significantly buff your Initiative checks with a magic item.

Malroth
2013-01-28, 02:41 AM
Dominate some melee mook to weild it for you.

ithildur
2013-01-28, 07:17 AM

No other elves are in the party and it seems to have a particular likeness for me (probably due to me being an elf). Not very likely.

Dominate some melee mook to weild it for you.

Sure, elves go around dominating other melee mook elves all the time.