PDA

View Full Version : Quest for Koskorak

TomPokenutter
2013-01-27, 07:52 PM
Our story starts in a village called Draven. It was once a great capital city, many years ago. However, when a major priest was revealed to have been attempting to summon beasts from the Far Realm in a bid for personal power, it lost much of its former grandeur.

Even through its losses, however, it still represents a cultural tapestry, with Humans, Elves, Tieflings, Dragonborn, and even a Kobold or twelve calling it home. Even on the quietest of days, the marketplace is loud and busy, its inns are full, and visitors come to see the city that once represented the very height of culture.

Now, what are your characters doing here? How many are together? How many are alone? Are you where you want to be, or did you take a wrong turn somewhere?

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-01-28, 02:36 AM
The elf with the yellow and brown hair winds through the city's shops for a while before finally finding the famed workshop of weaponized carpentry, just as it appeared on the poster in the barracks back home. She had written in advance to order their master craftsman's near-unique model of crossbow, which has yet to go back into mass production thanks to its rarity and complexity. According to the owner, the design was based on an ancient schema that was passed down in his family for generations following some centuries-old cataclysm that caused it to fall out of common use. To a crossbow enthusiast like Chye, this is pretty exciting stuff. She's been trying to get an edge ever since that one guy got away that one time.

Entering through the front door, she reaches into her backpack and finds her pre-counted collection of coins, which she had saved up over several years on a guardsman's salary, wrapped in several layers of brown paper and tied up with string so as to look like a lumpy, jingly sandwich. Attached to the payment: the letter from the workshop's apprentice-secretary stating that the order was received and would (probably) be ready by the time she came to pick it up.

Barring any shenanigans, Chye would soon have the absolute best in violence-based criminal-catching technology in her hands.

inexorabletruth
2013-01-28, 03:01 AM
Regjak stomps through the inner city, finally rolling to a stop at the town center and wipes his sweaty brow, then shakes the dust of the road from his thick coarse fur. Gusts of air blow through his bull nostrils as he takes in the dizzying sight of the once great city.

He examines his coin purse, a little tighter than it was two weeks ago after finishing his last quest. Regjak doesn't like to think of himself as a sell-sword, but times have been a little hard. Perhaps he can find some noble work here. And something to drink... and for Torm's sake, a bath. "Work first," he rasps through a parched and dust caked throat. He sticks an arm out to block a nearby citizen's passage to get his/her attention.

"Where do they post work around here?" His voice is gravelly and harsh, and he realizes only two late that he's being unnecessarily gruff and boorish. He retracts his restraining hand and clears his throat with a cough.

OOC:
Where is the OOC thread?

NightWolf16a
2013-01-28, 08:55 AM
The first thing after Rosengard arrives in through the city gates is going to the temples. She had heard stories of the rows of churches, synagogues, temples, and whatever else places of worship might be called in the city of Draven ("It's not Draven, it's Draaaaaaaaaaaaaven" or so she was told).

And the sights did not disappoint. Despite what she heard of the conflict and crisis the city suffered years ago, Rosengard is still in awe of all the people, statues, chants, exclamations, and preaching that fly forth from each and every temple. If I grew up here, I would think the world is one big temple, chuckles the half-elf to herself.

Near the end of her self-guided tour, Rosengard finally found a temple of Selune, goddess of the moon. She rushes toward the impossibly serene building, but slows herself to a respectful pace before entering and finding a comfortable pillow to rest her knees and pray.

SNIPER4HIRE7
2013-01-28, 09:50 AM
Tawar walked through city his blade gleaming in the light, he had only arrived a few hours ago and was now looking for work surely someone needs help in this city he grumbled to himself walking along he noticed a bar one couldn't hurt he thought before walking inside and ordering a beer

TomPokenutter
2013-01-28, 12:19 PM
OOC:
Where is the OOC thread?

OOC Thread is here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14608217#post14608217

S.K. Ren
2013-01-28, 04:41 PM
Enya the firebug they called her. Or they did; that rumor had not yet spread as far as Draven. Long red hair whipped behind her as she drifted lazily above the streets. She had only been in town for a few days; finding lodging at one of several Inns in exchange for using her natural talents to save the owner some coin.

Were you to enter that Inn you may find yourself gazing into the fire on the hearth, only to find the fire gazing back at you.

TomPokenutter
2013-01-28, 07:52 PM
"Where do they post work around here?" His voice is gravelly and harsh, and he realizes only two late that he's being unnecessarily gruff and boorish. He retracts his restraining hand and clears his throat with a cough.

The man shrugs off his surprise at being grabbed by a minotur, and shrugs.

"Well, based on your garb and weapon, I'd say you're looking for mercenary work, yes? Well, the Harp and Fiddle- that's the bar in the middle of town- is notable for giving that kind of work out. However, I can't guarantee how good the work would be- I'm much more of a 'pick things up and put them down' kind of worker."

inexorabletruth
2013-01-29, 04:34 AM
The minotaur nods his head in understanding and finally offers a rumbling "Thank you," then marches off to find this 'Harp and Fiddle' place.

Regjak allows himself to relax a bit as he approaches what he believes to be the appropriate tavern. Swinging open the doors, he takes a casual view of the scene and looks for a board or anything that posts work.

Passive Perception: 12
Passive Insight: 10

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-01-29, 04:42 PM
Chye is shooed out of the shop in short order. Apparently the apprentices really just wanted her out of there so that they could get back to class.

In fact, she was taken care of so quickly that she barely had time to appreciate the Superior Crossbow that was now in her arms.

<3

Sadly, it would probably be a bad idea to try it out in the middle of a crowded Draven. She looks up at the sky.

"Hmm... afternoon," she says to herself. She got a late start yesterday, too, and wound up sleeping in the rain with no tent. It wasn't really a big deal, of course... but still...

"Well, I did get some extra time off. I guess I could spend another day looking around."

She winds through the market again, taking a look at what the shops have to offer. There seems to be a lot of expensive rugs and odd-smelling meats with imported seasonings. She winds up getting a couple of exotic trail-mix variants for the trip back, then heads closer to the center of town, using a cathedral spire shaped like Selune's crescent as a landmark. Hopefully, she can find an inn with a decent bath.

On the way, the Harp and Fiddle catches her eye. It seems to be drawing a pretty rough crowd: men with eye patches arm-wrestling by the window, a guy with an inexplicably unsheathed sword calling the bartender, and a burly Minotaur ducking to get his horns through the arch over the swinging saloon doors. Her coworkers would probably get a kick out of this.

Chye herself was never much of a bar person, though, and so continues on to the inn next door. As she walks up to the front desk, she does a double-take as she notices the fireplace in the far corner of the room.

"... is that..."

She vaguely remembers hearing of fire elementals that look like pixies before, but never actually expected to see one bound to an inn's fireplace like that. It's like something out of science fiction.

The elf can't help but stare at Enya until something snaps her out of it.

inexorabletruth
2013-01-29, 06:35 PM
Regjak worms through the crowd as delicately as he can, raising an arm here and there to let a smaller individual pass by. He spots an empty table next to the fireplace and gingerly nestles into it, testing his weight against the furniture's strength then gives a brig stretch and yawns, which sounds weirdly like a "moo" and waits quietly for the waitress.

As he drums his hairy fingers on the table looking for something to do, he spots a petite elf ranger taking an unusually focused interest in the fireplace. Unusual that is, until she sees the fireplace blink.

Regjak smiles at the odd an interesting magic. "What manner of sorcery conjures living fire?" he rasps as he strides up next to Chye.

NightWolf16a
2013-01-29, 06:58 PM
Stepping out of the temple, Rosengard decides to look around the city, Adventure, she says, against the advise of priests of Selune in the temple.

Out of the the temple district, Rosengard moves to the merchant district to take a look at the people and the goods, most of which are completely unfamiliar to her. While she wanted to buy some souvenir or such (Ooh, pretty jewels.), her restrain had to make sure she doesn't let her last bit of gold flow away wastefully.

Toward then end of her tour, she chanced upon the Harp and the Fiddle, an inn of some sort. Thought she wanted to avoid the establishment, a pixie glowing in a fireplace caught her eye, as many people have by now, she's sure. Rosengard has only seen pixies in books and pictures before, none of which suggested that they were even friendly to humans. Yet here is one, among people, burning away. Rosengard walks into the inn, without even ordering anything, to make acquaintance with the strange fellow,Hi! I am Rosengard the cleric, how are you doing?

OOC: there, now everyone is together, lol. :smallbiggrin:

TomPokenutter
2013-01-29, 07:45 PM
In that instant, a good chunk of the bustle outside comes to a halt. You hear someone shouting outside, but it's indistinct. The voice comes closer, however, and it becomes apparent that the man is shouting one phrase over and over again.

"Dragon! There's a dragon coming!"

As he passes, you can hear sounds of chaos as people flee the streets, some running into alleys, some inside, and some seem to be headed outside of the city.

A few minutes after much of the chaos subsides, you hear a swooshing, followed by a tremendous thump from the street outside.

The bartender hisses out from behind the counter, "Is there anyone here who knows how to fight?"

OOC: Dragons are uncommon in this area of the world. Chromatics outnumber metallics by a very wide margin worldwide, so it's reasonable to assume that this is trouble.

SNIPER4HIRE7
2013-01-29, 08:07 PM
Tawar downs his pint slamming it on the counter he laughs a dragon is it? show me the way I've always wanted to hunt one drawing his blade he rushes outside yelling back well come on then don't waste time or it might flee before i get there

NightWolf16a
2013-01-29, 09:05 PM
No, the people outside.

Rosengard rushes to the door, to take a look at the dragon's path and tries to decipher its target and/or intent.

Passive Perception: 13
Passive Insight: 20

S.K. Ren
2013-01-29, 09:31 PM
"Dragon?!" Enya's eyes glistened with excitement. Maybe its him! She bolted from the hearth; the flames behind her quickly dying out. Hovering over the Half-elfs head she too peered out the door to see the dragon.

Passive Perception: 15
Passive Insight: 10

TomPokenutter
2013-01-29, 10:07 PM
A Young White Dragon stands in the middle of the street. This is apparently not her first landing- very recent blood splatters appear near her claws and jaw. She doesn't appear in any other way unusual for a dragon of her size and age category, aside from the torc she appears to be using as a bangle.

She stands, and bellows, "The lot of you will stay back if you wish to live. I have already killed a number of city guards who were foolish enough to charge at me.

I have come to deliver a message to the city and people of Draven. As of today, this city is mine. Every month, I will send a proxy to collect 70% of the total revenue this city generates. If I find that it is a Copper less than that, I will come and take the remaining percentage out of your population count- 1% of you will die for every 1% missing. This is not a request."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-01-29, 10:09 PM
After the cries of distress interrupt the start of her conversation with Regjak, Chye immediately dashes outside, a determined look on her face as she moves against the in-rushing crowd.

As she gets through the door, she attempts to prime her new crossbow with the same practiced motion she always uses. This... does not work.

"Uhn... errg... ARGH."

She tries and fails three times to pull the tension wire into position before giving up and just switching to her boring normal crossbow.

She then zips out into the street to look around for face the dragon.

Perception! Not that she's likely to need it, I mean, we JUST heard it land right outside despite the fact that it is a ninja.
Passive: 10+11 = 21
Active: [roll0]

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-01-29, 11:03 PM
As requested, Chye tries to keep her distance from the dragon within the constraints of her weapon's range increment - so, around 60 feet away, if she can get away with it.

However, she also goes ahead and fires two leaping shots at the icy murder-lizard's wings and leg joints.

Using an action point and including:
+2: Pouncing Lynx Stance in first round
+2: First round combat advantage from Superior Reflexes

Fire 1! Disrupting Shot (Dazing Version): [roll0] vs. AC
Fire 2! Clever Shot (knockdown version): [roll1] vs. AC

Potential Damage:Fire 1: [roll2]
Fire 2: [roll3]

After that, switch to dancing cobra stance as a minor action, then shift behind some cover as a free action.

She then seems to loosen up, ducking behind a nearby rain barrel with a fluid swaying motion. (Or possibly a building corner or signpost, whatever's available over here.)

NightWolf16a
2013-01-29, 11:19 PM
Seeing the shots go flying toward the dragon, Rosengard rushes to where they came from, grabbing the stranger by the shoulder, Are you CRAZY!? That's a dragon! A baby, but a dragon still. But at the same time, she draws out her own longspear as well.

SNIPER4HIRE7
2013-01-29, 11:22 PM
Tawar laughs at the beast holding onto his blade in support to prevent falling over he wipes tears away from his eyes gods above your a funny beast almost makes me want to spare he says still chuckling so you think your a big shot cause you killed a few guys? he asks his tone light-hearted and jovial well guess again beast, my name is Tawar iron fang of the iron wolf warriors and i swear you will not live another day beast. he bellows at the dragon before raising his blade and charging stabbing the beast deeply with his blade he grins before ripping it out and roaring pushing the beast back a aura of bloodlust surrounding him

Initiative roll?

mechanics
life ending strike http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3893128/ 31 vs ac for 32 points of damage

+1d6 for iron wolf warrior as well as furious assault for a 1d12 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3893132/ 22 vs will extra 11 damage and push the dragon 2 squares along with a -2 penalty to attack rolls until end of my next turn total damage 44

TomPokenutter
2013-01-29, 11:27 PM
Both shots hit the dragon, but she appears to shrug them off after a moment.

"Tell me, do you really think that was wise?"

Tawar's blade, on the other hand, results in a pained shout.

"You... talk too much, Half-Orc!"

The Dragon moves back to her original position [10 feet,] and attacks Tawar, raking at him with both her claws, and finishing with a bite. Tawar notices that there's also a chill from her claw attacks, but it was a different sort of feeling from the cold delivered in the bite [Dragon's Fury at-will power, 22 necrotic damage plus 2 damage plus 5 cold damage. Total Damage= 29.]

Everyone not being savaged by an angry dragon notices that during the attack, the arm with the bangle appears to glow a dark purple color.

The dragon leans back.

"I will give you one last chance. You can either slink back inside right now, or I will kill you. The choice is yours. That goes for you, too, Elf."

NightWolf16a
2013-01-29, 11:57 PM
Rosengard palms her forehead as the two people rush forward to their ineffective attacks, why are some people so eager to die?

She then rushes forward to Tawar and forcibly drags him away
[roll0]
She also whispers to the man, Don't try your luck. It's obviously too much for anyone here. Do NOT give up your life here, we will find the beast and deal with it later.

She also motions for Chye to move back as well.

SNIPER4HIRE7
2013-01-30, 12:35 AM
Tawar roars in anger but allows himself to be dragged inside his aura of bloodlust fading as he calms himself, looking downwards the sight of the deep claw wounds on his body causes him to wince a little, taking deep breathes he sits himself down at a stool near the bar

inexorabletruth
2013-01-30, 12:45 AM
Regjak is startled to hear news of a dragon, but even more startled when the fireplace begins talking and flying out the front door.

A thousand thoughts race through his mind as he clutches the handle of The Fist of Torm and marches to the front door with a determined scowl. I may not be able to slay a dragon with my humble skills, but I can perhaps detain it long enough for the city guard to get the people out of here.

He makes it outside in time to hear the last of the dragon's proclamation and see the Elf Ranger load and fire.

"Wait, no!" he shouts as Chye fires.

Then he sees another insane half-orc charge after the beast. Running to the blasted half-orc, he focuses his energy into his free hand and quickly draws a simple rune in the air.

"Try not to move until the wounds heal." he snaps as the tracing of his fingers form blue lines of flame in the air before Tawar. The same blue symbol bursts to life in Tawar's and Rosengard's armor. He then turns and stands defensively before the white dragon, while Tawar is being dragged away.

Tawar
You can spend a healing surge

Any ally in a 5' radius (At least Tawar and Rosengard):
You get a +1 to defenses until the end of my next turn.

Stuff:
Move: to within 5' of Tawar
Minor: Rune of Mending (Rune of Protection): 1 ally (Tawar) can spend a healing surge. Each ally in the burst gains a +1 bonus to all defenses until the end of my next turn. (PHB III, pg. 100)
Move: Draw weapon.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-01-30, 01:16 AM
How did she get back up so fast?

Chye hesitates after seeing the dragon hop to her feet and tear through the screaming half-orc. She was hoping to pin the monster down enough for some of the other bar-goers to gang up on her, but that's probably not going to happen if this is the result... and fighting the battle alone clearly isn't going to cut it.

Shaking with anger and frustration, she finally lowers her weapon, removes the bolt and turns her teary eyes towards the ground.

"As you wish. Forgive me, Mistress."

NightWolf16a
2013-01-30, 01:42 AM
Let's all move inside first, before we find a way to deal with this threat. As it is, armies will be mobilized, bounties will be posted, and adventurers will be sought after. Also, you remember what the dragonling said? That there will be a proxy. I think that might be our best place to begin. We find out more about this "proxy," we deter the dragon in everway we can, short of charging at it, until we are ready to challenge it to a duel to the death. You will have your glory, sir half-orc, and you life at the same time.

As Rosengard drags Tawar back into the inn, she throws a glance at the dragon, watching its next move, and places her hand on Tawar's wounds, invoking the name of the Moon Goddess for aid.

Mechanic
Passive Perception: 14
Active Perception: [roll0]
Healing Word: you can use another healing surge if you want.

S.K. Ren
2013-01-30, 04:02 AM
Emerging from the doorway, Enya had only a moment to see the dragon before the other patrons tried engaging it. Raising an open palm to her forehead, she covered her eyes from the ensuing wrath the Half-Orc provoked.

As the others dragged him back into the Tavern, Enya followed behind shaking her head. tsk tsk "What were ya' thinking? That dragon coulda' had you for dinner. Even at that age, the tough-" she caught herself mid rant. *cough* "Anyways I'll go see if the boss has anything for ya, not that it'll be free." She chuckles slyly.

SNIPER4HIRE7
2013-01-30, 06:37 AM
Tawar sat down his wounds slowly healing, i am a member of the iron wolf warriors, we are warriors from the frozen Norths that beast would be a excellent trophy to bring home. he says pride in his voice. Tawar looks downwards clutching his hands hard enough for his palms to bleed, something is wrong with that beast it shouldn't have been able to shrug off that attack so easily

inexorabletruth
2013-01-30, 09:10 AM
"What is your name, dragon, and who is this proxy you would send to collect this city's wealth?" Regjak's eyes are dry but he refuses to blink. His legs are crouched and tense, ready to jump away at a moment's notice, and he flexes his grip on his hammer subconsciously.

TomPokenutter
2013-01-30, 09:56 AM
"I am Donia Whiteskull. In one week, a Goblin claiming to represent me will arrive in this section of the city. You will give him what he requests. If you refuse to comply or try to short-change him, you know what will happen. Is that understood?

inexorabletruth
2013-01-30, 10:07 AM
"Donia Whiteskull, There are many tricksters and con artists within the goblin kin that would love to get their hands on 70% of this towns wealth, and would vanish on the horizon before any could grow wise to the deception. Will this one bare a mark or symbol that we may know him from some common thief?"

TomPokenutter
2013-01-30, 10:10 AM
"He will bear the mark of my claw on his back. Rest assured that he will not try and take any more than what is due to me, and he will not try and steal from the total. As long as you co-operate with him, your lives will be spared."

inexorabletruth
2013-01-30, 10:14 AM
The minotaur lowers his hammer. "Then yes. We understand. In one week, we shall see the goblin with the mark of the dragon's claw on his back."

TomPokenutter
2013-01-30, 10:15 AM
"Any more questions? Or may I get back to my schedule?"

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-01-30, 11:16 PM
Chye stays silent, but furtively tries to examine the torc-anklet-thing from a distance.

Feel free to make any secret knowledge checks for her, but she really just wants to be able to give a good description to someone more knowledgeable.
Toward that end, active perception: [roll0]

...huh. I guess that leg is on the other side of another rain barrel or something.

She doubts that the dragon would appreciate being asked what the deal is with that thing. Although maybe she's hoping someone will notice so she can brag about how she got it? Probably best to keep quiet, just to be safe.

TomPokenutter
2013-01-31, 02:17 PM
Donia waits about thirty second before taking off. You hear her land a few streets away, giving the same proclaimation. She's done with you for now.

The bartender gets up from behind the counter, and speaks in a wavering voice.

"Well... There goes the neighborhood. Last orders, please."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-01-31, 05:46 PM
The dejected shoot-firster wipes her tears and walks back inside to approach the group gathering around Tawar. It looks like the cleric from before is nearly done healing those claw wounds already.

"That's... actually really amazing," she compliments the healers. "It looked like that psycho practically cut you in half a minute ago. I didn't think-"

"I, Donia Whiteskull, have come to deliver a message to the city and people of Draven. As of today, this city is mine..."
Chye closes her eyes. "...is she seriously going to go around and give that speech on every single block?"

SNIPER4HIRE7
2013-01-31, 06:32 PM
patch me up for round 2 doc, that beast will die he snarls reaching for his blade. barkeep a whiskey quick if I'm about to charge that beast again I'd rather have a good drink beforehand he said barking out orders might help ignore the pain at any rate, that beast shouldn't have ignored that strike so easily he thought darkly.

TomPokenutter
2013-01-31, 06:57 PM
The bartender slides Tawar a whiskey.

"Here you go, but I don't know that it'll do you much good. At this point, it's on the house."

S.K. Ren
2013-01-31, 08:42 PM
Perching herself on the Elf's shoulder Enya gave a deep sigh. "He's not very bright is he? By the way, name's Enya."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-01-31, 10:01 PM
"Erk!"

Though Enya can't possibly weigh any more than a fancy parrot, the sudden weight forces the elf to catch herself on a chair to avoid falling over, and then to somehow come to terms with the fact that the elemental from the fireplace is talking to her instead of burning her hair off.

After that, though, she accepts this easily enough and offers a handshake. "Hello Enya, I'm Chye. And yeah, probably. I can kind of see where he's coming from, though."

SNIPER4HIRE7
2013-01-31, 10:06 PM
Better to die fighting than give up meekly pixie, if my fellow iron wolf warriors were here they would mock me mercilessly for this failure, i will cut down that beast if it costs me my life, i refuse to give up, if that beast's torc gives it strength then will cut the damn thing off Tawar declares slamming his fist down upon the table his voice growing louder as he lectures the smaller being on his viewpoint about honor. he grabs the offered whiskey downing it in an instant, grunting he lifts up his sword and walks towards the door

inexorabletruth
2013-02-01, 12:04 AM
Regjak strides into the tavern, swinging the doors wide to make room for his horns and puts away his warhammer out of respect for the bartender.

"I agree, warrior. The ivory scaled devil shall die for this indiscretion. However there is a time and place for that. Now, there are many innocent civilians who would die for your act of honor, and I doubt any of us would emerge victorious from the struggle."

His heavy hooves make a clopping sound across the wooden floor of the tavern as he moves to close in on Tawar.

"How are your wounds?" He reaches out to the drinking half-orc to check the strength and vibrancy of the seal.

SNIPER4HIRE7
2013-02-01, 09:18 AM
if i can swing a blade I'm not that badly wounded Tawar says

inexorabletruth
2013-02-01, 02:08 PM
Rekjak nods, satisfied with the answer. "Good."

He stands up to his full height and looks to the bartender. "We have one week to defeat this wyrm before his slave comes to collect. My suggestion is that we speak to the leader of Draven. Surely he can adjust the city's defenses, give us reinforcements and supplies to plan our attack, as well as draw up the city's evacuation plan... should things turn for the worse."

He looks around at the group that charged out to face the dragon. "Judging from the actions of the group here, I'd say you are all capable and willing to join in this effort. I offer you my humble assistance. My name is Regjak, Runepriest of Torm, Disciple of the Wrathful Hammer."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-02-01, 04:13 PM
"Thanks, Regjak," she nods, "and I'll gladly stay to help. We could probably even pick the dragon off from a distance if we have enough people and bows organized. She may be too big to be brought down in a couple of hits, but it's not like my bolts were just bouncing off or anything."

She glances out the window. "The problem is that the next time we see Miss Whiteskull she'll probably bring along a whole Goblin tribe or something."

S.K. Ren
2013-02-01, 05:46 PM
*Hmpf* "I never said to give up, just that charging head first against a dragon is a fools errand." After pouting for a moment, she turned back to the group "If its goblins, at least that's an enemy the town guard can handle. Here's an idea... why don't we play along for the first payment, follow the little bugger back to Whiteskull's hideout and end her there?"

inexorabletruth
2013-02-01, 07:16 PM
Regjak nods. "I agree with the little one. I'm no expert on dragon slaying, but I'd think the best way to kill one is in it's lair, as it sleeps. But I'd prefer to find its hideout before it sends the proxy, it it's possible. 70% of the city's wealth would cripple this place."

SNIPER4HIRE7
2013-02-02, 07:26 AM
My name is Tawar of the iron wolf warriors, the beast is likely arrogant enough to fly straight back to its den we could follow as it leaves he suggests

inexorabletruth
2013-02-02, 01:29 PM
Regjak turns to Tawar. "I admire your courage, Tawar of the Iron Wolf Warriors, but a foolhardy charge to the dragon's cave would only rouse Donia Whiteskull's suspicions when we were inevitably noticed. And if we failed to defeat her at that moment, she would ravage the city in retaliation, in order to break the spirits of any other potential uprisers. If, however, we had a stealthy scout who could trail the dragon unnoticed, it could very well be worth the risk."

He looks around the room. "Do any here possess such talents?"

NightWolf16a
2013-02-02, 03:54 PM
Rosengard lifts up the half-orc and sits him in a chair to patch up the leftover cuts and bruises.

[roll0]

It would be better to stop the dragon before it can take its toll on the city. But we also have other issues to deal with, such as the peculiar ornament the dragon had. Did anyone else notice it turned pitch black when it was breathing ice everywhere?

Actually...Does anyone here know where do kobolds usually live? If we can find them, perhaps they will know something about this...Whiteskull. We should have a starting point there.

Ah, how rude of me, Rosengard, at your service. Here, the half-elf stand up straight and bows slightly.

TomPokenutter
2013-02-02, 03:58 PM
The bartender shrugs.

"Not sure where you can find large Kobold tribes. However, there's a group of between five and twelve that show up around here every few nights..."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-02-02, 04:42 PM
Chye nods to acknowledge Rosengard, and only now notices the cleric's odd complexion. She pauses for a second, but shakes it off for now and turns to reply to Regjak first.

"Well, I could scout, but the problem with just following her is that she'd be flying all the way there; I'd get to deal with any obstacles in the way, and she gets to just look down and catch me trying. I'd prefer to track her later so she wouldn't notice, except, again, flying.

"I still agree with trying to get to her before she's ready to collect, though. If she wanted anyone to know where she lives, she wouldn't have to go through a proxy. If we could at least find out which direction her lair is in..."

She stands on a chair in an attempt to get the entire inn's attention. "Hey, does anyone here have a spyglass or a telescope or anything?"

TomPokenutter
2013-02-02, 05:19 PM
Everyone in the bar gives some kind of negative.

SNIPER4HIRE7
2013-02-02, 06:49 PM
Well then looks like were going to be searching for its lair the old fashioned way Tawar says sheathing his blade, where do these kobolds hang out he asks

TomPokenutter
2013-02-02, 07:04 PM
"With the exception of every third night, they're tough to trace. They could be anywhere. However, tonight is one of their pub-crawling nights, so if you stick around long enough, they'll show.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-02-02, 10:52 PM
"Okay, that's pretty convenient. In the meantime, though, I'm going to head out and see how far I can keep track of her without getting too close. I wonder if she's even finished gloating yet...

"Enya, would you mind helping me out? Since I don't have a spyglass, you might have a better time seeing over the tree line."

inexorabletruth
2013-02-03, 03:07 AM
Regjak relaxes a bit, pleased for now that wheels are in motion. "I still would like to speak with the ruler of this city. If any would like to accompany, I'd appreciate the help. I've no gift for speaking with nobles." As if to punctuate his point, he turns to the barkeep and orders, "Who runs this city and where might I find him?"

S.K. Ren
2013-02-03, 03:21 PM
"Erm, I suppose... Boss, mind if I leave?" Enya's gaze turned to the publican. His composure has considerably improved over his earlier cowering. On the one hand this was none of her business. On the other it was the first dragon she had encountered since then...

"Oh, before I forget," The remainder of the lingering flames died down around her revealing a petite figure clothed in what appeared to be a tattered dress of brilliant shades of red and orange. "There we go. It would be a pain if she could see us tailing her."

TomPokenutter
2013-02-03, 09:12 PM
Regjak relaxes a bit, pleased for now that wheels are in motion. "I still would like to speak with the ruler of this city. If any would like to accompany, I'd appreciate the help. I've no gift for speaking with nobles." As if to punctuate his point, he turns to the barkeep and orders, "Who runs this city and where might I find him?"

"That would be Bürgermeister Adrik. His office is about three blocks away from here, but I'd bet there's already a crowd outside his door."

SNIPER4HIRE7
2013-02-03, 11:52 PM
tawar smirks standing up well then lets go visit him turning to the barkeep, he pulls from a coin purse 5 silver coins putting them on the counter, keep an eye out for the kobolds i will be back later to talk to them he informs the barkeep he walks towards the door you lot seem brave enough split into 2 groups, the half-orc says sounding like a general barking orders, pointing at the minotaur and elf, rosengard regjak you lot with me see if this guy has any clues turning his attention to the half elf and pixie he continues his orders chye, enya you two follow the beast as long as you can mark on a map the direction it goes anything could make the difference, looking at the group meet here tonight if those kobolds show up i want us waiting for them

Tawar finishes issuing orders and turns to leave pausing to look back at the group

inexorabletruth
2013-02-04, 12:24 AM
Rendered speechless by Tawar's sudden outburst, Regjak watches as Tawar heads out the door, turns to Rosengard and shrugs. Then he turns to the barkeep.

"That way?" He points in the general direction that Tawar is heading.

After seeing the barkeep nod affirmative, Regjak follows Tawar out the door with a polite nod directed toward the barkeep.

S.K. Ren
2013-02-04, 02:39 PM
"Look at him, already running about and barking orders," Enya sighed, "maybe we should have left him a little bit wounded to slow him down. He's just going to get himself hurt again." Flitting outside, she turned to face Chye "Shall we?"

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-02-04, 04:52 PM
"Yeah. Thank you."

Chye already has her eyes to the skies, her head and ears tilting and adjusting to try to get a bead on Miss Whiteskull's direction.Perception (active sky-search): [roll0]
Passive listening: 21

S.K. Ren
2013-02-04, 07:55 PM
Moving to the roof, Enya searches the skyline for the white dragon.

Active Perception: [roll0]

TomPokenutter
2013-02-04, 08:12 PM
The pair of you can hear her giving her speech a few streets away. She's moved pretty quickly. Based on where she is now, she seems to be covering the city in an outward spiral.

TomPokenutter
2013-02-06, 07:53 PM
There's already a crowd assembled outside of the Bürgermeister's office. THe crowd seems to notice your approach, and parts as the seven-and-a-half foot-tall Minotaur, the fierce-looking half-orc, and the half-elf woman approach the door.

A gnome stands by the door.

"The lot of you have some business here that isn't about that lizard? Or are you here to pester the Bürgermeister about how your business is about to fail?"

inexorabletruth
2013-02-06, 11:15 PM
Regjak suppresses a threatening grunt. "We have come to offer our aid and our expertise, and we seek the aid of the Bürgermeister in slaying the pretender to his office.

Already, we have spies watching the wyrm. And my comrades here have fought the devil and wounded it. With the Bürgermeister's support, we can slay it before its slave comes to collect.

Unless you are authorized to speak on behalf of the Bürgermeister, I suggest you show us to him immediately, as time is of the essence and every moment wasted here shrinks our chances of success."

TomPokenutter
2013-02-06, 11:26 PM
He seems to warm to you at that, and opens the door.

"Forgive me, sirs and ma'am. He's in his office."

As you enter, you begin to hear a number of people in the crowd attempting to emulate your response, to no avail.

Bürgermeister Adric sits behind his desk, tapping his fingers and facing the window. The brown-haired dwarf doesn't appear to notice you at first, but turns in surprise at your entry.

"Moradin's beard! Did Sindri neglect the sole task I gave him? I'm sorry! I can't do a thing about the current situation- I hung up my hammer decades ago!"

A second later, he notices your weapons.

"...Half-orc, is that blood on your blade?"

SNIPER4HIRE7
2013-02-07, 01:00 AM
aye the beast's blood, bugger took the hit and clawed me in return Tawar says eying the dwarf his tone light we need your help, do you have any idea were the beast could live nearby? because if so then I'd be willing to go kill it Tawar says his voice sounding happy at the prospect of a rematch

TomPokenutter
2013-02-07, 10:58 AM
"Well, there are about twenty caves nearby, and about ten of them would accommodate her size plus the average hoard... It's tough to say which one she'd be hiding in, or if she's even using them at all. I'm sorry I can't be of more assistance in that area, but the caves are technically outside our jurisdiction. Tell you what, though, I can help you in another way. You kill her, and bring me evidence, I'll pay your group 300 Gold. In addition, I will provide funeral expenses if necessary. If you move before the Goblin arrives, you'll be entitled to everything you find in the hoard. Should you move after, you'll be entitled to the hoard minus what the city is owed. How does that sound?"

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-02-07, 12:40 PM
As the conversation in the mayor's office continues, the camera cuts briefly to Chye and Enya watching the dragon that everyone wants dead.

They stay out of sight, peering around corners and over fruit stands and rooftops as they eagerly wait for the target to finally take off for whichever cave or mountain she calls home.I'd guess stealth is called for here? Chye: [roll0]
Enya (in case SKR is still on vacation):[roll1]

inexorabletruth
2013-02-07, 01:56 PM
Ragjak nods, about as close as he gets to a bow, but doesn't stop pressing the issue. "There are other ways you could help. We require a telescope or some other spyglass of sufficient quality. The dragon has not yet left your city, and we can watch her fly back to her cave. That would make this hunt easier, by far. Further, I recommend you deploy a troop of your guards to come with us, bearing a net that can, hopefully, prevent the wyrm's escape when we go to slay her in her cave. Also, should we all die in there, it would be best to have men there equipped to collapse the cave before the beast escapes to seek vengeance on this town. If I am to die in this deed, I do not want it to be without cause."

TomPokenutter
2013-02-07, 07:30 PM
Donia appears to break off her course about fifteen minutes later, apparently satisfied that her message has gone out. She flies away from the city, heading East initially, before landing in the middle of an open plains. She abruptly turns, and grins maliciously.

"It's not polite to follow someone out of town without their knowledge. Show yourself."

________

Adrik nods. "The telescope I can provide with no problems. Extra manpower, though... That's going to be tough. I guarantee some of the more zealous guards are dead by now. That cuts our numbers back... I can send a group after you, assuming you can try to ensure their survival. They would be used exclusively to bring down the cave, though- none of the people I have who would be effective in that regard have been given proper weapon training. That's a completely different set of skills. Is that acceptable?"

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-02-07, 09:09 PM
Damn it. I knew I shouldn't have followed so close...

She stays low and still behind her cover in the field's tall grass, listing her options in her mind. Okay, Chye, calm down. You can think this through. You don't usually say 'show yourself' if you already know exactly where someone is, so she could be bluffing.

I could say I wanted to ask about her bracelet or something, but she'd never buy it at this point, especially not from me. Although...

Her eyes flick around looking for her tiny partner. Madame Necro-claws wouldn't know her, and might even indulge the curiosity of a cute little fairy... but, Enya is nowhere to be seen. Chye certainly can't fault her hiding skills, at least.

Maybe I should just make a break for it...

Afraid even to peek out and look, Chye listens for the dragon to make the first move before engaging Super Run-Away Mode.

TomPokenutter
2013-02-07, 09:28 PM
As you retreat, you hear her muttering to herself.

"That's what I thought..."

She then flies off in a completely different direction from where she was headed before.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-02-07, 10:50 PM
Having apparently panicked and started running before she even realized it, Chye turns and sees the dragon just take off in a random direction rather than pursue her.

She gradually slows to a walk, watching as Donia puts plenty of distance between them on her own. "That's... weird. Is she really that desperate to shake us off?"

Of course there's no one left in earshot to hear Chye at this point, as far as she knows. "Come to think of it, I think she did mention having a schedule to keep. I wonder where's she's trying to go in such a hurry."

When she's satisfied that Miss Whiteskull is too far off to look back and spot her properly, she adjusts her own course to something closer to parallel and tries to keep track of her without getting any closer.

inexorabletruth
2013-02-07, 11:15 PM
Regjak, feeling a strong sense of urgency wastes no time with haggling. "That is acceptable. We will not strike tonight. I'm sure you have escape and barricade routes to plan in case the dragon escapes our vengeance. We will meet with our comrades and discuss battle strategy and report back to your assistant when we have a plan. May we see the telescope now please?"

TomPokenutter
2013-02-07, 11:18 PM
Donia appears to be meandering, taking seemingly random turns, and backtracking often. However, she doesn't do a particularly good job of shaking the pair of you, and eventually lands in another section of field, next to a young human in peasant's clothes. Both of you can overhear their conversation.

Donia leans down next to him. "I must be brief- I'm being followed, and I would rather not let this deal become public. All I will ask is this- does the sword in your uncle's armory have the property you discussed with my agent?"

The man nods, and Donia smiles.

"You will keep it with you in the town of Bael. In one month, my agent will arrive with the sum that we agreed upon. You will give him the sword. Remember- you have nothing to fear so long as you tell the truth."

The man nods again, and the pair of them depart. Donia heads South, and the man begins walking to the East.

_____

Adrik hands you the spyglass.

"Please, take care of it. May it serve you well."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-02-08, 12:39 AM
The scouts meet up and put together what they each managed to see and hear. Chye then starts talking about her suspicions.

"I mean, I kind of doubt that he's really from Bael. That would be an odd detail to slip in unless she was trying to throw us off. But no matter how careful her euphemisms were, this guy clearly has something she wants.

"The part I find scary is that she feels she has to cater to him to get it. Actually paying for stuff isn't really normal Dragon behavior, is it?"

S.K. Ren
2013-02-08, 01:54 AM
"That would be a huge no. Most dragons just take things that catch their eye... or so I've heard. This does seem suspicious. You follow the man, I'll tail Whiteskull a bit more before heading back to Draven." Enya begain to ascend before adding, "She mentioned an Uncle with an armory. Does Draven have an armory?"

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-02-08, 02:14 AM
"It should. It's a pretty big city, with an active guard detail. That sort of thing is usually state property, though. This sounded more like someone's personal vault, like a retired general or something. Maybe we can ask that big guy, Reg, about it; he looked like he might be a war history buff."

"Anyway, first things first. We'd better get moving if we don't want to lose them. I'll meet you at that inn when we're done, okay?"

She considers adding something to the effect of, "and please avoid getting killed," but Enya's already proven that she knows that knows how to do that better than Chye does.

inexorabletruth
2013-02-08, 02:10 PM
Regjak accepts the spyglass, nodding his head again in thanks, then turns to Tawar and Rosengard.

"We should seek high ground immediately to get a good vantage point of the dragon's route home." Unless the group has more to add, Regjak stomps out the door to go find the tallest building he can and climb it.

Rolls:
Passive Perception: 12
Athletics (To climb the building, once I find a tall one): [roll0]

SNIPER4HIRE7
2013-02-08, 07:20 PM
Tawar follows rubbing his hands together he eyes the building looking for purchase he begins to follow http Rosengard wait here i will lower a rope down for you standing on the roof tawar admires the city for a moment finding a chimney he ties the rope around around it then lowers the rope down

mechanics
roll athletics ://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3914570/ (25) success

inexorabletruth
2013-02-14, 03:24 AM
Regjak extends the telescope while looking for the white dragon.

Perception: [roll0]

If he sees Donia:
He points it out to Tawar. "There," he grunts, his voice rumbling like the huff of an impatient bull.

After Tawar catches sight of the dragon, he puts the telescope to his eye and waits for Donia to take flight. Regjak will willingly take turns sharing the telescope with Tawar, making comments about the direction it's heading, using "she's turned south" or whichever direction is appropriate.

Perception: [roll1] +whatever bonus we get for using a telescope
Aid Another: [roll2]

If he doesn't see Donia:
His eyes narrow angrily and he snorts dust out of his flared nostrils. "Damn. I think we lost her. Do you see the dragon, Tawar?"

SNIPER4HIRE7
2013-02-14, 09:47 AM
Tawar looks through the telescope seeing nothing he passes it back

mechanics
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3924277/ perception total 9

TomPokenutter
2013-02-15, 06:56 PM
Neither Tawar nor Regjak see Donia.

inexorabletruth
2013-02-15, 07:32 PM
Rekjak snaps the telescope shut and snorts angrily "Damn. How could we lose something that big?!" He paces angrily as he thinks. "Unless you have any new ideas, Tawar, I think we should head back to the tavern and see what Enya and Chye have discovered. Perhaps they have had more luck than us. I can return the telescope on the way. At least we can report that Bürgermeister Adrik has offered a squad to collapse the cave."

S.K. Ren
2013-02-17, 03:56 PM
Keeping close to the brush, Enya does her best to resume tailing Donia Whiteskull. Unfortunately the dragon manages to elude Enya's feeble tracking skills. As the sky begins to dim, a discouraging grumble from her stomach convinces her to turn towards Draven.
"Ugh, this sucks." she groans.

SNIPER4HIRE7
2013-02-17, 04:10 PM
Tawar sigh before nodding in agreement, gathering up the rope he begins the climb down best get back to the pub then, those kobolds will be there soon he says

TomPokenutter
2013-02-18, 12:38 PM
The young man that Chye is following walks about fifty paces before freezing up. He slowly turns around.

"Wh-who's there?"

He slowly produces a knife.

"I-I warn you! I'm armed!"

inexorabletruth
2013-02-18, 02:22 PM
Regjak wades through the tavern to the restroom and washes his face. It's just so hot out there. After shaking off the water and cooling off a bit, he steps back outside to wait with Tawar.

When a waitress comes within reach, he orders a cup of water, then sits quietly, pondering the problem of how to defeat Donia. He tries to think back to his training on the mountains. Dragons were always a symbol of power, even to the mighty goliaths that trained him. Many lessens about good, evil, power, honor, and wisdom were taught through parables of dragons. He just hoped that something from those parables could help him in this battle to come.

Religion: [roll0]
Nature: [roll1]

After a few moment's thought, he looks up to Tawar. "You fought the wyrm, Tawar. You mentioned something was wrong with her... that she was stronger than she should've been. And Chye mentioned something about a torc. What did you notice? Do you think the dragon's powers and that bauble are connected?"

NightWolf16a
2013-02-18, 07:12 PM
Rosengard is musing to herself about dragons, trying to remember the vague stories from her life at the monastery of Selune. What a way to embark on an adventure... Dragons, kobolds, gold, hoard of treasures. It's like the stories... Hmm... she muses to herself, then, a small light of realization lights up in her, Oh, Priestess of Selune! I'll go to the temple tomorrow and ask for some help!

Then she relates this idea to her companions in the inn as well, asking whether the others have perhaps similar people or order they know that can provide some form of assistance.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-02-18, 10:35 PM
Chye rolls her eyes. The guy doesn't really have as much to worry about as he seems to think.

Alas, when she peeks out from the brush to see what he's doing, his nervous gaze immediately locks on to her face. Stupid grassy clearing.

She sighs. "Fine, you got me, jeez," she says. She raises her empty hands, her weapon still hanging on her back by its shoulder strap. This wasn't really her plan, but it might be for the best anyway.

"Sorry for scaring you. I was just investigating whatever that white dragon was so interested in, and then here you were. Not a scratch on you, either."

She puts her hands behind her back and stands up straight, attempting to look as stern and authoritative as she sometimes wishes she could feel. "I'd like you to come back with me to Draven to answer a few questions."

TomPokenutter
2013-02-18, 11:30 PM
He nervously puts the knife away.

"...I'm sorry. I had to put off work to come out here, so going back with you isn't an option. Um... The dragon and I have a business deal. Nothing really huge, just payment for a sword..."

S.K. Ren
2013-02-19, 01:33 AM
With all the grace of a flying brick, Enya drifts into the tavern to the hearth. Assuming her duties, she calls to one of her newly met... companions? No, she thinks, acquaintances... well time will tell.

"We followed the dragon a ways... off. Actually I'm not sure, her flight path was all over the place. Anyways she met with some fellow in a field and then departed south. I followed but I ended up losing her." She gives a glance around the tavern, "Has Chye not returned yet? She was following the man."

With a sigh of exhaust she falls back into the pile of ash from earlier that day.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-02-19, 02:54 AM
"Yes, well, the dragon is who we're interested in, so I'm afraid that not coming with me isn't going to be an option, either. Consider it an urgent summons from the mayor, everyone should understand that. If anything, it'll be a good excuse for whatever work you're missing already."

SNIPER4HIRE7
2013-02-19, 06:38 AM
That dragon recovered from my attack to quickly, it healed even as i pulled my blade out that isn't natural of dragon someone has enchanted the beast. Tawar says to Regjak, turning to rosengard tawar thinks for a moment before shaking his head no one from my clan would be allowed to help us, i'm undergoing a test of my strength. to call for aid so shortly after leaving would be pathetic

inexorabletruth
2013-02-19, 11:38 AM
Regjak watches Enya collapse into the ash and shakes his head no.

"I haven't seen Chye since she left with you. So the dragon eluded you as well. That is a setback. Tawar and I were not as successful as I'd hoped either. Still, Bürgermeister Adrik had some aid to offer. He says there are ten caves nearby that are large enough to suite the needs of a dragon. He has offered a contingent of men to collapse the cave the dragon is hiding in, once we figure out which cave he's in. I thought, perhaps, it would be a suitable back up plan should our attempt to slay her fail, which I have concerns about. Tawar says the dragon can heal her own wounds, which may have something to do with that torc. Rosengard is still out seeking council from the clergy of Selune. Perhaps she will learn something about it. If that's the source of Donia's power, then removing it is the key to evening our odds of victory."

Regjak takes a deep breath. "But of course, we still have to find the dragon. I'm not familiar with the caves of this region. Does anyone know this land, or at least possess a map detailing the locations of the larger caves?"

TomPokenutter
2013-02-19, 06:42 PM
The man produces his dagger again.

"Please, just ask me your questions here. There are monsters that come out at night along the way to my home village, and I'd rather not run into them."

He looks like he's ready to fight Chye over this.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-02-19, 09:59 PM
"Look," Chye groans, bringing her palm to her face, "we can escort you back home when we're done, okay? This is important. Do you even have any idea where she's getting that money? Or what use a dragon could possibly have for a sword of any kind?"

By this point, she's clearly just yelling at him out of frustration, knowing that she doesn't have the time to drag him back to town unconscious if a fight does break out. If he is really going to be that stubborn, then she is really going to have to do this on his terms and talk to him on his way home.

TomPokenutter
2013-02-19, 10:03 PM
"I don't know why she wants it. She sent an emissary asking about my sword a month ago. I don't know why she wants it maybe it's the special quality... Regardless, I need the money. The farm's about to fold- I can part with an ancestral weapon to make sure my family isn't forced to live in poverty."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-02-19, 10:38 PM
The aggressive elf just stares at him for a moment. The pieces are all fitting into place, but the picture they're making still looks wrong somehow.

She lowers her voice thoughtfully. "...you really don't know what's going on after all. What is your name?"

TomPokenutter
2013-02-19, 11:45 PM
He puts his knife away again.

"My name is Luke. I'm a farm boy from Lain, about ten miles from here."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-02-20, 01:08 AM
Lain does not equal Bael. There are all manner of reasons this could be. But, again, first things first.

"Alright, Luke..." she nods, mentally cursing the idea of her having to be one to tell him this. Maybe she should tell him her name first? No, that would just make it even more awkward.

"Luke, Miss Whiteskull is extorting Draven for the money to pay you for it. She's killed at least three guardsmen in the process. It was literally the last thing she did before meeting you here."

She decides to wait for his initial reaction before saying anything else.

TomPokenutter
2013-02-20, 12:40 PM
"Isn't that a dragon's usual method of doing things? Look, I don't care where the money comes from."

He pauses a minute, realizing how bad this looks.

"Er... Look, I didn't suggest Draven as a target. I assumed she had the money already. Whether she does or doesn't is irrelevant- I don't think I could stop her. Besides, I think if I went back on our deal, she might look to Lain as her next target."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-02-20, 02:41 PM
She glares at him.

"Maybe. What's stopping her from doing that anyway once she has what she wants from you? You don't. Make. Deals. With. Dragons!"

She lets out a huff in an attempt to calm herself down, and an idea occurs to her.

"Luke, my name is Chye, and my intention is to make sure that criminal doesn't have a next target. And we could really, really use cooperation on this. The city could even buy the sword from you early and use it to take her down before she collects. But we're not going to be able to do that unless you come back and help us with the plan."

Her mind dreaming of the ways Luke could help to set an ambush, she's already visibly desperate to bring him back. Chye is not much of a negotiator, but at least she's not dishonest.

"...please?"

TomPokenutter
2013-02-20, 08:24 PM
"...She's offering me 1500 Gold for the sword. Do you think that you or the city can match that?"

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-02-20, 09:19 PM
"Fifteen hundred?" She blinks. "As in, one and a half thousand? Honestly, that even sounds kind of low, considering the circumstances... but, it's not really my call, so this just brings us back to the whole you coming back with me thing."

TomPokenutter
2013-02-20, 09:34 PM
"I'm not sure I'll be much help beyond what I've told you, but..."

He pauses a moment.

"...Sure. I'll come with you. I do not have the sword with me now, though. I will get it to you when the opportunity arises."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-02-20, 11:57 PM
"That is completely fine. Thank you."

On the way back, Chye explains to him that they're going to head for the tavern first to report the situation to... she supposes the best word for them at this point would be her, "teammates." They have already been talking with the mayor for a bit, and would have some information of their own about how the officials were planning to handle it. They could work out how best to approach the situation from there.

Soon enough, they make it back to the inn, albeit a little late to the party. Chye nods to the group.

"Everyone. This is Luke, the man that Miss Whiteskull was so eager to go and meet earlier. He's agreed to cooperate with us as long as somebody can help pay off his family's debts."

She lets everyone else introduce themselves and start questioning him if they want.

inexorabletruth
2013-02-21, 05:03 AM
Regjak looks up from his strategizing with Enya and Tawar. His mouth still agape from asking about geographical knowledge.

"Can he tell us where Whiteskull sleeps? That seems to be a crucial bit of information all of us have failed to acquire." Regjak's tone sounds terse, but the rest of his body language suggests relief that finally we may be getting some answers.

TomPokenutter
2013-02-21, 10:06 AM
"I don't know the exact location, but I know its name. Her liaison was pretty talky- he mentioned a Bandit's Massacre Cavern. Does that ring any bells? Or is it helpful?"

inexorabletruth
2013-02-22, 12:26 PM
Regjak shakes his head no and looks around in hopes for signs that the cavern's name might strike a chord with someone.

TomPokenutter
2013-02-24, 12:38 PM
Chye remembers that while none of the caves have actual, official names, there was one that housed a tribe of bandits some fifty years ago. They were quite a problem, and threatened to overrun the city. However, an adventuring party was called in to deal with the problem, and ended up leaving no survivors. The cave in question has one particular feature that makes it easy to pick out- it's the largest one.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-02-24, 02:00 PM
Chye squints as she tries to remember when she heard the news about that. She would still have been living way up in Greater Spire back then.

"Wait, you mean the 'Tribe of Bandits' that were trying to conquer actual territory about two generations ago? Because that would probably just mean it's the biggest cave in the area. We could find it on a map."

inexorabletruth
2013-02-24, 03:41 PM
"Then we should get a map," Regjak concludes. "I'd like to coordinate our attack with the Bürgermeister so that we can make sure his defenses are ready should we fail. I imagine he would also have maps of the region. We can plan our attack with him there. If not, surely there is a library or cartography shop in a city as vast as this that will possess such items." He looks around to see what the groups consensus is.

SNIPER4HIRE7
2013-02-24, 10:56 PM
Tawar laughs behind the group excellent he says then the plan is set, that dragon will be dead in a matter of days, i hope no one minds if i claim the beasts head, it would be a impressive trophy to bring back he says looking at the group

NightWolf16a
2013-02-25, 12:44 PM
So, the plan is set then? We rest for tonight, prepare for our journey tomorrow, and make our way to the caves?

Rosengard's eyes light up at the prospect of the coming adventure,

If this is the case, then we should meet here tomorrow soon after dawn after we all get ourselves ready. Unless the rest of you want to set off immediately, that is.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-02-25, 04:23 PM
"Um, well, as much as I want to get going, there are a few other factors to consider.

"First, Miss Whiteskull knew that we were following her earlier, so she's probably going to be expecting us. Second, we know that she has some goblins that she can rely on to do her work for her, so she'll likely be organizing them to defend her home from any attack we might mount on it. In other words, if we try to corner her on her own turf, she's likely to be less vulnerable than she was the first time we encountered her, not more so.

"Third, on our way back here, Luke mentioned a special sword that the dragon wanted to purchase from him, implying that she is fairly desperate to get it, but either doesn't know where it is being kept or lacks the means to access it herself.

"Actually, speaking of that, what was that 'special property' you were alluding to? I never really thought to ask."

TomPokenutter
2013-02-25, 04:45 PM
"The sword speaks. Literally, it speaks telepathically to it's wielder. It also has a number of useable magic effects, but I haven't been able to use any of them when I've fought with it."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-02-25, 04:53 PM
Chye's eyes go wide. Even with no knowledge about magic swords, 1500 for something like that sounds like one heck of a deal. Well, for those that can afford that sort of thing, anyway.

"Any idea where it came from? How did your family get it?"

TomPokenutter
2013-02-25, 05:01 PM
"Our family's had it for hundreds of years. It's said that my great-great-great-great-great grandfather won it in a contest of strength with a powerful warrior."

SNIPER4HIRE7
2013-02-26, 05:35 AM
that blade sounds interesting could in be brought to us?, it might have some magical property or effect that helps in slaying dragons Tawar says

inexorabletruth
2013-02-26, 02:40 PM
Regjak looks to Tawar. "That's not a bad idea. We could use every advantage we could get." He turns to Luke, "If the sword can help us defeat the dragon, I don't see why you wooldn't be entitled to some share of the dragon's hoard." He offers, hoping to attract a fly with honey.

TomPokenutter
2013-02-26, 04:41 PM
"It would take two days for me to get it here- one day to go home, and another day to come back. Is that okay?"

inexorabletruth
2013-02-26, 05:15 PM
"I'm fine with that. That would give the Bürgermeister time to fortify his defenses, and us time to strategize an efficient attack plan. Luke, I shall escort you to Lain. For your protection. Would anyone like to come with us?"

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-02-26, 10:22 PM
"I'm coming. Really, we should probably all go. Something about monsters coming out at night, if I recall correctly."

SNIPER4HIRE7
2013-02-27, 12:30 AM
Damn right i'm coming with you, Tawar says pounding on his chest as he laughs when do we leave? he asks turning to the group

NightWolf16a
2013-02-28, 01:00 AM
A sword that talks? Of course I am coming! Do you think we can use the sword against Whiteskull, possibly? And do you know any thing specific about the magical effects?

Rosengard's eye brighten up for the Nth time tonight. It seems the world is almost too interesting for a cloistered maiden to behold. Suddenly, Rosengard pauses for a moment,

Why are you helping us? You said the dragon want to buy the sword from you already, and yet you are eager to retrieve it for us...

Active Insight
[roll0]

inexorabletruth
2013-02-28, 02:53 PM
Regjak smiles at the enthusiasm. It will be good to travel with friends again. "I'm eager to leave immediately." He turns to the barman. "Barkeep. Do you have a runner?"

If he does:
Regjak hands over a copper piece. "Send him to the Bürgermeister to tell him that our party has gone to Lain for special supplies. I shall report to him in two days with our plan and to complete our task."

If he doesn't:
Regjak holds up a small handful of coppers. "5 coppers to the one who is willing to run a message directly to the Bürgermeister or his gnomish lackey." When he gets a reliable looking taker, he gives the instructions:

"Our party has gone to Lain for special supplies. I shall report to the Bürgermeister in two days with our plan and to complete our task."

Active Insight to see who is most reliable looking:
[roll0]

He looks to the man from Lain, the gestures to the door impatiently. "Shall we?"

S.K. Ren
2013-03-01, 12:06 PM
With the dirt from her flight newly cleansed by the fire, Enya springs up with renewed energy "So when do we leave?"

SNIPER4HIRE7
2013-03-03, 02:18 AM
Tawar examines the courier before turning paying him no more attention, seeing enya return he laughs right now he informs her then begins to walk outside

TomPokenutter
2013-03-03, 08:53 PM
The barkeep sends the runner on his way. Luke nods.

"Just so you know, I'm not very good at combat. I'll have to stay by the back lines if we run into any trouble."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-03-03, 11:15 PM
"Well, we kind of figured. Hence the escort." She glances out the door and turns to speak to everyone. "And I agree with Ironwolf on this one; there's no real sense waiting. The sooner we leave, the sooner we can get this whole thing resolved. Agreed?"

inexorabletruth
2013-03-04, 01:00 AM
Regjak's face gets stern and he gestures again toward the door, but more impatiently. "I'd prefer to stop talking about leaving and actually leave. People's lives are at risk, Luke. Let's go. We'll be right beside you to protect you, but we still need you to lead the way." Regjak snorts. He's not good at extended conversation.

S.K. Ren
2013-03-07, 05:39 PM
There wasn't much for Enya to gather. A small dagger and her pack she stashed in the rafters of the main hall were all she needed.
"Are we leaving or not?"

TomPokenutter
2013-03-07, 09:02 PM
Luke nods, and rises.

"Right then. Off to Lain!"

The road to Lain is by all visual cues a peaceful one. However, unseen eyes watch you from the shadows...

[Perception Check, please?]

inexorabletruth
2013-03-08, 12:55 AM
Regjak marches along quietly for the most part, one heavy-knuckled hand resting casually on his hammer, as he occasionally glances left and right.

S.K. Ren
2013-03-08, 01:37 PM
Enya glides lazily above the party, her eyes taking in every detail of their peaceful surroundings.

TomPokenutter
2013-03-11, 08:55 PM
Four slingstones fly out from a large rock by the side of the road.

One of the stones misses Chye, but the other three hit Regjak, Tawar, and Rosengard.

Regjak takes 6 damage, Tawar takes 8 damage and ongoing 2 fire (save ends,) and Rosengard takes 6 damage and a -2 penalty to attack rolls.

A grating, high-pitched voice yaps out from behind the rock.

"Stand and deliver, travelers!"

inexorabletruth
2013-03-11, 10:25 PM
The stone ricochets off of Regjaks head, knocking him sideways into a stumble. When he looks back up, his eyes are filled with fury. He roars in defiance, a strange, moo like sound, and draws his hammer.

"Yeah. I'll deliver." He grumbles as he charges toward the assailant.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-03-11, 11:06 PM
The elf jumps back from the stray bullet as it bounces up to her feet, having dropped short of its target.

"Stay close to me," Chye says to Luke as she once again produces her boring regular crossbow.

Her command quickly becomes a tall order as she launches around and away from the rock, trying to get in a better volley from a less expected angle.

Given their hiding spot and the nature of their own attack, she's expecting them to be grouped up enough for a good number of them to get caught in Rapid Shot's 15ft.x15ft. area. If they're really not, she tries to pick out the leader and knock him or her prone with Clever Shot; use the first attack roll with a +2 bonus.

1d20 + 4(dex) + 2(proficiency) + 1(hunter talent) + 1(hunter bonus feat) + 2(Lynx stance) + 2(combat advantage from Superior Reflexes) - 2(Rapid Shot)
= 1d20+10 vs. AC

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

S.K. Ren
2013-03-12, 01:36 PM
Keeping to the sky, Enya flies over the rock to catch a glimpse of their attackers.

Move Action: Move up to 6 squares towards the rock
Standard Action: Total Defense

TomPokenutter
2013-03-13, 10:00 AM
A group of four Kobolds stands behind the rock. Two of them are struck by Chye's arrows.

NightWolf16a
2013-03-15, 03:39 AM
The stone hit Rosengard in a particularly bad way, bruising her wrist and impeding her in wielding her weapon.

Damnations! What do you see up there?

While tempted to just rush the four kobolds, Rosengard restrained herself with a bit of difficulty and simply places herself to the front of the party, spear ready.

Anyone else want to join me and just rush them?

Initiative (if this is needed)
[roll0]

S.K. Ren
2013-03-23, 12:57 AM
"There's only four of 'em" Enya cries, diving for the nearest one. As she picks up speed flames begin to envelope her until nothing but fire can be seen. She impacts the kobold and for a second its face is obscured by a burning cloud before Enya pulls back.

Move Action: Move over the head of the nearest Kobold
Standard Action: Blistering Flourish
Target: Kobold I'm over
Attack: [roll0] vs Reflex
Damage: [roll1] Fire Damage
Effect: Until the end of my next turn, all my melee attacks deal extra fire damage equal to my CHA modifier
No Action: Flurry of Blows
Target: The kobold I hit
Effect:Target takes 10 Fire damage (2+Cha+Cha(Flourish))

SNIPER4HIRE7
2013-03-24, 09:22 PM
Tawar grabs his blade from his back, smiling he moves towards the nearest kobold slashing at him his blade misses, annoyed tawar growls an aura of calmness overtaking him

mechanics
move to nearest kobold,

jarring smash http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3990211/ 15 vs ac for 14 damage if it hits,

then activate my defender aura

AC is now 19