PDA

View Full Version : High level spell progression

PrinceOfThieves
2013-01-27, 08:36 PM
Could anyone help me figure out the spells known and spells per day progression of a 50th level hexblade? Technically, its a 20th level hexblade with 30 levels of Arcane trickster, but you get the idea. We have houseruled that spellcasters continue to gain spells per day and spells known past 20th level, but I can't figure out that progression to save my life. Any help at all would be appreciated.

Namfuak
2013-01-27, 08:50 PM
I don't see any particular formula that fits the spells per day progression, but my approximate guess would be that it would look something like this:

1st level: extra spell every 4 levels (next new one at 22)
2nd level: extra spell every 3 levels (next new one at 22)
3rd level: extra spell every 2 levels (next new one at 21)
4th level: extra spell every 1 level (next new one at 21)

I realize this would mean that you get more high level than low level spells, but there does not seem to be any standard formula used to find what's on the table, so I'm guessing they decided to jam a bunch of extra spells at the end, leading to the above numbers (since I'm ignoring how long you only get 1 spell of the level, and just looking at 2 and 3). I'd recommend you ignore the table and just find something that seems fair. Perhaps you should start by figuring out how many spells you think you should have at 50th level.

Urpriest
2013-01-27, 09:00 PM
Could anyone help me figure out the spells known and spells per day progression of a 50th level hexblade? Technically, its a 20th level hexblade with 30 levels of Arcane trickster, but you get the idea. We have houseruled that spellcasters continue to gain spells per day and spells known past 20th level, but I can't figure out that progression to save my life. Any help at all would be appreciated.

If you made that houserule then you already have a table or formula to use, which none of us are going to know until you tell it to us.

If you are instead asking what sort of table to make...spells don't really have a static progression you can extrapolate like that. You'd be approximating it at best, and none of us would be any better at the task than you. So I'm not sure what you're looking for here.

Tulya
2013-01-27, 09:25 PM
You could multiply your level 20 base spells per day by 2.5 (50/20) and call it a day, giving you 7/7/7/7. If you're giving spells known as well, you get 12/12/12/12.

Though, you'd probably be fine at level 50 to allow at-will spellcasting from the full hexblade spell list.