PDA

View Full Version : Snowman!

Haruki-kun
2013-01-27, 10:51 PM
I built a snowman today and it's awesome! And yes, I know that to some of you building snowmen is a pretty common, run-off-the-mill thing that you've been doing since you were five, but I was 22 years old the first time I saw snow, and now I'm 23 and for the first time in my entire life, I built a snow man!

Does anyone else like to engage in this activity?

Malak'ai
2013-01-28, 04:56 AM
I did last winter.
This is something of a big thing because the normal snowfall in the place i live in is about 2mm every decade.

But one night last year there was enough snow on our bbq cover for me to make a mini-snowman. No more than 20cm tall but it looked very cute.
It had melted an hour later :smallfrown:.

Zar Peter
2013-01-28, 05:19 AM
I remember 2003 when I build an igloo for the kids. They actually could sit on it without it collapsing and the 3 year old could stand inside. That was pretty cool.

I think last weekend I could have done the same but the kids are bigger and my back isn't getting better.

Killer Angel
2013-01-28, 06:01 AM
But one night last year there was enough snow on our bbq cover for me to make a mini-snowman. No more than 20cm tall but it looked very cute.
It had melted an hour later :smallfrown:.

One month ago, while my wife was inside a Mall, me and our daughters were waiting outside, in the parking area, 'cause there was snow... we made a dozen cute little snowmen, and my daughters call almost every person exiting from the mall, to show them... :smallbiggrin:

Traab
2013-01-28, 09:04 AM
Heh, the doctors office I went to has all those cement security pillars in the parking lot to keep people from driving through the front door and every single one had a cute little smiley face snow man waving at us.

Personally, I always wished I had the guts to build a calvin and hobbes style snowman. That calvin was a freaking artist.

Killer Angel
2013-01-28, 09:47 AM
Personally, I always wished I had the guts to build a calvin and hobbes style snowman. That calvin was a freaking artist.

Luckily for our world, someone already covered all the bases (http://weburbanist.com/2010/01/06/38-snowmen-nightmares-calvin-and-hobbes-in-real-life/). :smallbiggrin:

enderlord99
2013-01-28, 11:37 PM
Luckily for our world, someone already covered all the bases (http://weburbanist.com/2010/01/06/38-snowmen-nightmares-calvin-and-hobbes-in-real-life/). :smallbiggrin:

What about the one peeking over a hill?

Temotei
2013-01-29, 02:19 AM
I live in Minnesota, so snow is easy to come by. It's still super fun to make snowmen, though. :smallsmile:

Ravens_cry
2013-01-29, 02:28 AM
We get our snow in liquid form around where I live. Every few years we get enough snow dumped on us we could make snow people that might last a few weeks, but not this year.

ForzaFiori
2013-01-29, 10:45 PM
We don't really get snow much. Maybe a couple inches a year, and it doesn't stick around. We do get ice though, or freezing rain. Every 10-15 years though, we get a good snowfall, maybe 3-4 inches that will stay around. Or at least, we used to. We haven't even really gotten snow the last couple years.

When I was young though, we went to NJ every Christmas to see my grandma. I used to build snowmen up there. I haven't been there since I was like, 8 though.

Dr.Epic
2013-01-29, 10:54 PM
I built a snowman today and it's awesome! And yes, I know that to some of you building snowmen is a pretty common, run-off-the-mill thing that you've been doing since you were five, but I was 22 years old the first time I saw snow, and now I'm 23 and for the first time in my entire life, I built a snow man!

Does anyone else like to engage in this activity?

No pictures?

Scarlet Knight
2013-01-29, 10:59 PM
Never dismiss an activity that is fun, gets you some fresh air, costs nothing, can entertain the kids, and brings smiles to others.

There aren't many other things that fit all those categories.

:smallsmile:

Haruki-kun
2013-01-30, 12:03 AM
I live in Minnesota, so snow is easy to come by. It's still super fun to make snowmen, though. :smallsmile:

It really is!

No pictures?

No, not yet. But I'll drop by the place again later and try to get a picture.

Traab
2013-01-30, 08:16 AM
I remember when I was young, I used to gather up all the snow I could reasonably move, and then build snow tunnels under it I could travel through. Its surprisingly warm inside a snow cave. And fun to be able to dig out a space large enough to fit yourself and a snow shovel.

The Succubus
2013-01-30, 08:23 AM
At the UKitP meet in Bradford last year, we made a snow dalek.

Snow.

Dalek.

Remmirath
2013-01-30, 11:50 PM
Living in Michigan, we always had plenty of snow for the winter and a good chunk of spring and fall also when I was growing up, so I've made plenty of snow men. I did make some sort of weird ones, although none quite on Calvin's level -- I wasn't patient enough about it for that. Building snowmen takes time.

My brother and I also built snow forts, sometimes, and once a cave that was large enough we could both fit easily in. We also used to go sledding and climbing around on the huge piles of snow made by shoveling the parking lot near our house (always on the side away from the parking lot, of course, in case cars came by). One year somebody had already dug a cave in there, we expanded on it, and then apparently other people did too. It became a bit of a warren, and it was pretty neat.

Last year is the only year I can remember when there was never enough snow to make a snowman. This year there would've been a time or two, and I briefly considered it for old time's sake, but had too many other things to do. I do expect we'll have more snow, though, so there's still time if the fancy strikes me (and if I'm not too busy).

Thanatos 51-50
2013-01-31, 02:13 AM
I am twenty-four years old.

I have seen snow and currently live in an area that sees a significant amount of snow.

I have never built a snowman. The snow has never stuck together right. I can barely make a snowball most times.

Woe is me.

Deathkeeper
2013-01-31, 02:48 AM
The snow here usually doesn't cooperate much, so usually I just piled up the big hunks of snow from the ploughs to make snowmen. Worked alright.

MonkeyBusiness
2013-01-31, 07:07 AM
I love playing in the snow! One year I made an Ernest Hemingway snowman, complete with brandy bottle.

This year there has not been enough snow to make a snowman, but the dusting we got was enough to help me track the foxes that live near my house. Awesome!

AtlanteanTroll
2013-01-31, 01:08 PM
I've never built a snowman, but I've built a snow fort and had huge snowball fights. :smallsmile:

Snow.

Dalek.
Speaking of no pictures...

Elemental
2013-02-01, 12:46 AM
Speaking of no pictures...

But there are pictures! Somewhere... I remember seeing them.

The Succubus
2013-02-01, 08:36 AM
The piccies have gone! =(

They were in the Bradford UKitP meet up thread.

Cuthalion
2013-02-06, 07:19 PM
I actually only experienced snow falling for the first time in December. It was even better than I had imagined.

noparlpf
2013-02-06, 07:33 PM

Snow.

Dalek.

Wait. In the UK? I was given to understand that there was never anything besides rain and permanent mild weather there. :smallconfused:

I am twenty-four years old.

I have seen snow and currently live in an area that sees a significant amount of snow.

I have never built a snowman. The snow has never stuck together right. I can barely make a snowball most times.

Woe is me.

Could be it's too cold? To get good sticking snow it has to be right around freezing.

Last year there was the freak October snowstorm in New England, so a few freshmen and I made an eight-foot snowman. Had to have a guy sit on someone else's shoulders to get the head up. There was then hardly any snow for the rest of the actual winter. This year, we've gotten a few inches once or twice, mostly melting quickly.

Temotei
2013-02-06, 09:42 PM
Could be it's too cold? To get good sticking snow it has to be right around freezing.

The sun really helps make it stick, for what it's worth.

Also, holding the snow between your hands tightly will usually make it stick just fine if you can't get it to stick.

Thanatos 51-50
2013-02-10, 11:50 PM

I'll wait a couple of days and give it a go, I guess.
This blizzard has given me an ample amount of material to experiment with.

Kjata
2013-02-11, 05:17 AM
I haven't built a snowman since I was very young.

Since I was 16 I have dreaded snow, and raged everytime I've seen it.

Even as a kid, I was happy to see snow days mainly because I was going to be able to sit inside and play video games.

Not a fan of snow.

Chilingsworth
2013-02-11, 06:06 AM
I haven't built a snowman since I was very young.

Since I was 16 I have dreaded snow, and raged everytime I've seen it.

Even as a kid, I was happy to see snow days mainly because I was going to be able to sit inside and play video games.

Not a fan of snow.

heh. Same here. Well, to be precise: I haven't been a fan of snow since I grew out of my child-sized snowpants. By that time, I had discovered videogames, so I never got around to getting a new pair.

Used to build snow forts, though. Also, recently saw an awesome snowbear someone put up. Sadly, I didn't get pictures before it melted.:smallfrown:

But, maybe the recent snowstorm we got will inspire them to remake it. Heck, I'd be tempted to put one in my front yard.... except my dogs and our neighbors' dogs have laced my yard with yellow snow and dogcrap. :smallsigh:

EmeraldRose
2013-02-11, 12:03 PM
Made a snowman last night, but apparently my 4 year decided we were making a volcano. So we made a snow volcano. 9 yr old made a fort.

And there was a snowball fight. Oh yes, the snow was perfect! :smallbiggrin:

Cuthalion
2013-02-11, 12:27 PM

Snow.

Dalek.

By the way, this is beyond awesome. :smallbiggrin: