PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Help with a build?

Abroane
2013-01-28, 02:30 AM
I've been perusing this forum for years but never really had any questions to ask before now.

My group is getting a chance to make a level 20 build to start.
I have never started at level 20, so i wanted to ask for some input on my build.

Any help would be greatly appreciated but i'll run down some of my rules.

1) i can have 4 classes and 1 paragon class. no exceptions
2) hard cover books only. i also have to have said book. (no drag mag sadly)
3) core book setting. no forgotten realms or faerun.
4) this is 3.5 though i do have OA at my use.
5) no Psionics

thats the main ones.

Now i am starting in "limbo" being "questioned".
this is more of a side quest deal to our main part of the campaign.
This means i have no equipment though i will have pretty good picks after the first or second encounter so any great ideas are awesome.

btw, I am open to changes though i am set on the idea of the build.

Currently it is a:

Race will be silver brow human

Wiz 4/ human paragon 3/ assassin 1/ Ultimate Magus 10/ Unseen Seer 2

Stats from level 1 are

Str: 15
dex: 17
Con: 17
int: 18
wis: 13
cha: 15

Progression:

1) wiz 1
Level feat: two weapon fighting
human feat: Able Learner
Flaw 1: Arcane Disciple War domain
Flaw 2: Extend spell
2) wiz 2
3) wiz 3
level feat: Persist Spell
4) Human Paragon 1
5) Human Paragon 2
Bonus Feat: Energy Sub: Cold
6) Assassin 1
Level feat: Practiced spell caster assassin
7) Ultimate Magus 1
8) Ultimate Magus 2
9) Ultimate Magus 3
Level Feat: Twin Spell
10) Ultimate Magus 4
11) Ultimate Magus 5
Bonus feat: Empower
12) Ultimate Magus 6
Level Feat: residual Magic
13) Ultimate Magus 7
14) Human Paragon 3
15) wiz 4
Level Feat: kind of open
16) unseen seer 1
17) unseen seer 2
18) Ultimate Magus 8
Level Feat: kind of open
19) Ultimate Magus 9
Bonus Feat:Practical Metamagic Persist
20) Ultimate Magus 10

This should net me
spell levels
17 wizard
9 assassin
caster levels
21 wizard spells
13 assassin spells

unseen seer for hunters eye

my goal is to basically be a great assassin.
with divine power i'll have bab

I am trying to decide if imp twf is worth it or to get gloves of balanced hand i think... for that later.

input of any sort is appreciated, Thanks!

Zman
2013-01-28, 08:19 AM
Ultimate Magus only gives 7/10 Spellcasting Progression for Wizard with 10/10 CL progression.

ahenobarbi
2013-01-28, 08:54 AM
Ultimate Magus only gives 7/10 Spellcasting Progression for Wizard with 10/10 CL progression.

To avoid loosing Wizard casting you want to do something like

Wizard 2 / Assasin 1 (take feat practiced spellcaster(Assasin))/Wizard 1/ Ultimate Magus 10/...

Also: why do you want Assasin class?

Abroane
2013-01-28, 09:53 AM
I am basically trying to make a better ninja I guess.
And as it sits I should get 8 and 9 progression which gets me 9th level spells on wiz and 4th on assassin.

His spells will be for little things that I may not prepare ahead of time. I am also using him to fuel meta magic.

He also gives me sneak attack for unseen seer

Also practical meta magic persist is there cause then rig of wiz V

Keld Denar
2013-01-28, 10:33 AM
Drop the Assassin. Full casting will make you a better assassin than the assassin class ever will. I'd go Spellthief1/Wizard4/USS10/X5, where X is anything full casting. Options include 1 Wizard level for the bonus feat (or Spontaneous Divination, or a domain granted ability), Arcane Trickster, Archmage for Arcane Reach, Fatespinner for the rerolls, etc. USS's Guarded Mind plus Mind Blank will make you almost undetectable, especially if you take the Darkstalker feat, max out Hide, and use (Greater) Invisibility. You won't be able to rely utilize the spell energy you steal, but if you don't kill your foe in one round, at least they won't have their highest levels of spells to respond to you.

Use high level slots to Persist Cloud of Knives, Hunters Eye, and Wraithstrike. With TWF, you shouldn't miss since your attacks will be against AC 10 + size + deflection against most things that aren't rogues or barbarians. Alternatively, use a +1 Distance Composite Longbow with I think the Snipers Shot spell to Sneak Attack people in the next Zip Code.

Between Shapechange, Time Stop, and all of your other magic, you should be unstoppable, unassailable, unobservable, impossible to contain, and otherwise inexorable.

Don't dilute the pure build. It's best with full casting. Trust me.

Abroane
2013-01-28, 10:56 AM
Great advice but the it is best with full casting line confuses me.
I only loose 3 levels I still have 9th level wiz spells. how is that not full casting?
I only loose wiz from
Paragon 1
Assassin 1
Um 7

Keld Denar
2013-01-28, 11:03 AM
True, but the difference is 1 8th level slot and 2 9th level slots. That's a lot of power lost for the minor versatility of Assassin casting and an insignificant Death Attack. You don't need UM's metamagic tricks at this level. USS's Advanced Learnings are far more useful anyway, as is the CL boost for Divinations (which gives a whole extra SA die from Hunter's Eye). Plus, Master Spellthief is pretty awesome.

Abroane
2013-01-28, 11:10 AM
True on the master spell thief. I was kind of sad I could not work it in because of dm restrictions

Crap I may have a rewrite before tonight lol