PDA

View Full Version : Spellcaster Prodigy 3.0

Nullmancer
2013-01-28, 03:46 AM
Is the feat worth it for Wizards? Any games I play allow this feat as the original version.

Again, we're talking about the 3.0 version, not the 3.5 version.

The reason why I'm considering this for a Wizard I've been playing since day 1 is I've been able to rework his stats, feats, and such, so, I want to max out my overall DCs as much as cheesely possible. No, pun-pun is not allowed. That one I've already tried...;(

Monodominant
2013-01-28, 04:38 AM
In its 3.0 version its pure gold.

Diarmuid
2013-01-28, 12:15 PM
I agree 100%. In it's 3.0 form, I would say it is recommended for nearly any build that doesnt need every feat slot for PrC req's or other reasons.

navar100
2013-01-28, 01:23 PM
Yes
Si
Ken
Oui
Da
Ya
Hai

Melcar
2013-01-29, 09:35 AM
Can I ask... What is the difference between 3.0 and 3.5 ed?

Diarmuid
2013-01-29, 10:16 AM
3.0 = Casting Stat considered +2 for purposes of bonus spells and DC's

3.5 = Casting Stat considered +2 for purposes of bonus spells

Tulya
2013-01-29, 12:10 PM
[Edit: That was mostly off-topic.]

Go for it. Spellcasting Prodigy is about as efficient as it gets for DC boosting, and the bonus spells per day don't hurt.

Hand_of_Vecna
2013-01-29, 12:47 PM
Here's what you need to do:

Look through all the books you have available for character creation and every time you see a feat you think you should take over 3.0 Spellcaster Prodigy; smack yourself, cause you're that wrong.

Possible Exceptions:
Signature Spell-Not Available at 1st Level though.
Easy MetaMagic/MetaMagic School Focus-Don't have to be taken at level one so they can wait.
Precocious Apprentice-Only good in low level games that won't be leveling up or that allow retraining.
Also for Low level games that UA feat that grant's DR 3/Bludgeon if it doesn't have ASF, I think it just has an armor check penalty.

thorr-kan
2013-01-29, 11:17 PM
There's the feats from Ghostwalk: Sherem-Lar Sorcery & Sherezem-Lar Sorcery, requiring 1st level, female sorcerer, granting +2 to Cha for bonus spells and DCs, each and they stack.

Then there's Corrupt Arcane Studies, requiring 3rd level sorcerer or wizard, non-good, granting +1 to DC and CL checks to overcome spell resistance.

Arcanist
2013-01-30, 12:02 AM
3.0 = Casting Stat considered +2 for purposes of bonus spells and DC's

3.5 = Casting Stat considered +2 for purposes of bonus spells

I honestly have no idea why that even had to update it... It was fine the way it was... :smallannoyed:

Karnith
2013-01-30, 12:10 AM
I honestly have no idea why that even had to update it... It was fine the way it was... :smallannoyed:
Well, it was basically a better Spell Focus, and given the general scaling down of spell save DCs from 3.0 to 3.5 (spell power, Spell Focus, etc.), Wizards was apparently really scared of spells having high save DCs.

Granted, I also think that it was fine to begin with, and the new version is basically useless.

Urpriest
2013-01-30, 12:46 AM
Grab when you would otherwise get Spell Focus, yes. Get things like Vow of Nonviolence first though. Basically, think of it as a DC booster, and ask yourself: do I have any better DC boosters? If the answer is no, grab it. If yes, postpone it.