PDA

View Full Version : Qwert-chan's Low Tier Competence Test IC

Pages : [1] 2

qwert-chan
2013-01-28, 08:39 AM
You guys were working as a team for a while - you fought bandits, orcs, cultists, orcs, goblins, and you've earned yourselves quite a reputation. One day, when you rest and take your time in a tavern, a letter arrives for one of you.

"Dear adventurers,

My name is John Pinkwheel, and I am the Mayor of Whitestone. We seem to have a little problem in our city - something our city guards can't handle themselves.

It's the townsfolk. Many of them act really strange - sometimes they pass out in conversations, sometimes they are extremely violent, and sometimes they just forget who they are and wander away into the fields.

But most of them are just zombie-like, sleepy and uncaring.

I think that it's something magical - a disease, a powerful spell, some kind of gas, or poison in the water. But who would do such a strange thing, and what for?

I already wrote an official letter to the Capital, but it seems that they left us on our own, as they replied with a very generic answer. Something like "It's just your imagination and no visible threat, so go and handle it yourself somehow", just much fancier and wordy.

And the captain of the Guard has disappeared yesterday - along with my useless wizard. You guys seem to have a good reputation on solving unusual problems, so you are my last hope.

I wrote three letters to the other adventure teams I heard of - so you can have some other people working with you. Don't worry though - you'll be paid a lot even if the problem is already solved when you arrive.

Please hurry.

John Pinkwheel."

So when the adventure begins, you find yourselves standing outside the Whitestone city, right in front of the gates. It seems to be oddly deserted - no guards, no people(even though it's daytime) - only wind howling and nothing else.

So, what do you do?

EDIT: and roll a single Spot, Listen and Sense Motive check in advance, please.

EDIT2: The letter also has instructions on how to get to the Town Hall: take the second turning to the right from the city gates and you will be right there.

Gwendol
2013-01-28, 09:26 AM
Tristram flexes his muscled frame reflexively, as if that would produce some kind of response from what looks like a deserted town.

I have a bad feeling about this. Lord Kavaki, I request some assitance from you at this time.

A heavy warhorse appears next to the goliath, who gets into the saddle and readies his lance. It looks like a sharpened small tree in size.

DEMON
2013-01-28, 09:45 AM
*nocks a single arrow into his bow*

Careful guys, keep your eyes peeled and your weapons at the ready.

Amphetryon
2013-01-28, 10:31 AM
Moll shrugs her shoulders to loosen the muscles there.

'What's the plan, fellows?'

Gwendol
2013-01-28, 10:41 AM
Tristram looks down at Moll, as always appreciating her physical prowess.
My initial plan was to ride into town, see the local authorities and declare our intentions, and then begin our investigations. Right now though, I don't know if the first part of my plan is possible. We should ride in and see if we can find anyone with whom to talk.

Tristram uses the gift given to detect any presence of evil in the vicinity.

only1doug
2013-01-28, 11:06 AM
A familiar voice comes from the Shadows next to the wall,
"I don't like it..."
"has this undead threat taken over the entire town?"

"I'll keep an eye out for any magic aura's"

Togo
2013-01-28, 12:23 PM
Ensign Tai Jones gives a yowling laugh.

Oh, you guys, get serious! We've been invited, we've arrived. What could possibly go wrong? It's not like there's anything sinister about the main gate of a well-defended settlement like this one being left totally unguarded even though they know they's under threat. And I'm sure the fact that we're right outside and can't hear any people at all isn't a sign of some kind of terrible calamity. No, they're probably just all at lunch... in complete silence.

She sighs, and starts unwrapping Resario, her halbard.

Although if you want to be really paranoid, it might be better if I was to go here, you move a little to your left, and that way we're better displaying the three-bladed leaf pattern of the ancient battle Manual of Yawl. You know Big Fights and Why I Don't Lo- heeeey!

Her mrowl of protest is low but plaintive.

That stupid hobgolin battle flag I took to wrap Resario in. It's only gone and stained the blade orange! Stupid cheap cloth.

She breaths on the blade a few times, and then rubs it with her forearm, while sauntering sulkily into a tactically perfect point in the formation.

Yeah, let's ride in. she glances jealously over at Tristram's warhorse, and not for the first time. I'm ok with keeping cautious for the moment, but if this makes me miss lunch...

only1doug
2013-01-28, 01:34 PM
A soft laugh comes from the shadows as a reply, "always so eager Ensign, I think that if we want to be really paranoid then Raziel and I should go over the walls in the cover of darkness and have a little scout around."

DEMON
2013-01-28, 02:15 PM
That's not a paranoia, it's called vigilance...," sais Raziel heading towards the dimly lit area looking for a good hiding spot from which to observe the insides of the city and adds: "I agree with Grinoed. We should scout the area and not make ourselves easy targets."

Snowbluff
2013-01-28, 02:48 PM
We are all going to die.

The frightened little azurin, Terry, in the corner doesn't look too happy.

qwert-chan
2013-01-28, 05:10 PM
Nothing happens while you discuss your tactics. You don't spot or hear anything special, and Tristram's Detect evil detects nothing(for now, at least).

Grinoed's Detect Magic, though, pings an aura of moderate strength that seems to cover the entire town(you may roll Spellcraft to determine the school of magic that aura belongs to).

Amphetryon
2013-01-28, 05:11 PM
"Someday, Terry. But they'll have to get through me first."

The smile on Moll's face is anything but friendly.

only1doug
2013-01-28, 05:29 PM
"There is a powerful necromantic spell covering the entire town, I can't tell much about it but this is no minor enchantment"

Snowbluff
2013-01-28, 05:34 PM
Terry

"If that's the case... Moll, you first."

He stare at her expectantly, a kind smile on his face. :smallsmile:

Togo
2013-01-28, 06:39 PM
Tai sheaths her polearm, and then unlimbers her composite bow and tests the strings.

What, you wanted to live forever?

She sighs.

Relax. Anyone who wants to eat you will have to get past us first. Moll's a rock, Raziel tastes horrible, and Tristram's too noble to get eaten.

One ear swivels as she hears the comment about magic.

Mayor said in his letter that there was an affliction on the town. A big spell of some kind. He had time enough to get worried and then write letters about it, and then get them delivered, so I don't think we'll drop as soon as we wander in.

She shoulders the longbow, and draws out a longspear, carrying it one handed, in a throwing grip, and starts drawing in the dust.

Why don't you guys scout about 30'- 40' ahead of Moll here, and warn us with hand signals if you see anything? Moll can be in front of Terry, Tristram you take one side, and back a bit so you can charge. I'll take the other. Keep Tristram the side of any tall buildings.

She looks up.

That sound ok?

DEMON
2013-01-28, 06:40 PM
"Well, there's no point wasting any more time admiring the view...," whispers the tiefling, still hiding near the city gate, to his nearby gnome companion, "let's head towards the town hall and deal with whatever comes our way".

qwert-chan
2013-01-28, 06:44 PM
As you enter the gates you get the following wall of text:

As you enter the city gates, you can clearly feel something innatural in the air. All sounds are a little duller than usual, colors are darker and faded - and even the sun seems to give a dust-grey light instead of the usual yellowy-white.

Your mood darkens a little, and returns back to normal in a split second.

This effect, however, does nothing to you in a meaningful way - sure, it's a bit annoying, but that's all.

The insides of the city are just like the outsides - abandoned. All shops and houses are closed, and the streets are totally empty. You can spot signs of some recent events all around the place - a few broken windows in the tavern, a large patch of blood just besides the city gates, and a toppled fruit cart in the middle of the street.

If anyone is going to enter the city the other way, then he gets the same message.

Snowbluff
2013-01-28, 06:59 PM
Terry

As he walks in, he keeps talking. "I don't want to live forever, I just don't want to be dead again. It's unpleasant." He sees the patch of blood. "Speaking of which, we are doomed."

DEMON
2013-01-28, 07:08 PM
"Oh grow some balls, mortal, we'll keep you safe... for a while...," sais Raziel, leaving the shadows and taking his position about 5 meters behind the muscled females taking the lead, next to his pessimistic friend, bow at the ready and sweeping the area with his sight.

Amphetryon
2013-01-28, 11:36 PM
"Oh grow some balls, mortal, we'll keep you safe... for a while...," sais Raziel, leaving the shadows and taking his position about 5 meters behind the muscled females taking the lead, next to his pessimistic friend, bow at the ready and sweeping the area with his sight.

'What does one have to do with the other?'

Moll's face is puzzled and amused.

Snowbluff
2013-01-28, 11:41 PM
Terry

"I wouldn't speak if I were you, Raziel. You haven't eaten Ivan the Un-Impaler's cooking. You would think being dead for 500 years would make you better at preparing food..." Terry shudders. Healer Heaven was an awful place, despite it being a reward for those who devoted their lives to assisting others. Indeed, he was determined that would be the last time he slowly and politely consumed a burnt quiche.

only1doug
2013-01-29, 01:33 AM
Two areas of shadowy darkness appear within the city and those looking carefully can see a small form moving into one of them.

"I don't like it, the entire place must be one big trap..."

"We must agree now, whatever we find we will not sleep within the city walls, we investigate and then retreat back out. Whenever we don't have a clear cou rse of action we should remove ourselves from the spells influence before considering what to do."

Snowbluff
2013-01-29, 01:48 AM
Terry

"I agree with Keebler. It's bad enough we found our way in. Sticking around while unconscious is an atrocious idea." Terry takes a look around. "I think the next step is finding the mayor. He might be able to fill us in with more details."

Gwendol
2013-01-29, 03:08 AM
Raziel, can you determine what kind of creature spilled the blood there? We should try and learn as much as we can on our way.

Nodding at Tai, Tristram guides his horse to the side, providing cover for their flank. My dear Tai, just pick a weapon and stick with it for now. It's unbecoming of our order to be so undecided.

As the group moves forward, Tristram rides close enough to the cart to examine the fruit on the ground, impaling one on his lance for a closer look.

qwert-chan
2013-01-29, 04:02 AM
The blood marks and patches become more numerous as you slowly move towards the town center. Everything around you suggests that there was a siege, or a battle of some kind, even though the town gates and walls are fine and intact. You also spot two large scorch marks on a building in a distance, and a few weapon marks on the food cart - likely left by an axe.

An apple Tristram examines is relatively fine, even though it is dirty and dusty since it was on a ground for a few days, maybe a week. Judging by it's look, you can even eat it if you're hungry and have some water to clean it.

Just when you approach the town hall, you see a wide column of black smoke slowly rising in the sky in the distance. And a few seconds later, Tristram and Grinoed both detect a second evil necromancy aura of moderate strength to the left.

So you basically have a town hall to the right, a column of smoke if you continue moving forward, and an evil aura to the left.

EDIT: and a long line of darkness blobs behind you :smallsmile: unless Grinoed dismisses the leftover ones when he leaves them.

The town hall is a large, one-floor building designed to handle official governmental meetings and paperwork. It also seems to serve as a house for the mayor and his family, if he has one. The building is decorated by this country's flag and banners(ripped and damaged), a large sign that says "Whitestone Town Hall"(duh), and a huge town map that has a large rune, or an arcane symbol inscribed right on it.

The double doors are wide open, and seem inviting.

Gwendol
2013-01-29, 04:28 AM
Tristram reins in his horse and swings his lance to the left.

Evil, left side, within 60'. he says just loud enough for the others to hear in his deep, gravelly voice.

Mentally, he prepares for battle, and scans the area for hidden dangers.

only1doug
2013-01-29, 08:00 AM
Grinoed

"Necromancy magic, fairly powerful, also to the left!"

Grinoed vanishes into the shadows.

Togo
2013-01-29, 08:15 AM
Ensign Tai Jones nods, and starts looking around intently, her hands already absently stowing the spear, and retrieving Rosario once more.

Detect Evil, try to pick up the evil presence

Amphetryon
2013-01-29, 08:23 AM
Mogg hefts her falchion, and peers in the direction Tristam and Grinoed indicated.

Togo
2013-01-29, 08:40 AM
Tai's ears twitch. Still concentrating, she glances at the map with the symbol, and then back at the source of evil

Does the position of the symbol on the map correspond to the location of the evil area we've just detected?

qwert-chan
2013-01-29, 08:52 AM
As you are carefully looking in the aura's direction and preparing for a possible battle, nothing special happens.

The aura seems to be a huge circle, with a radius of about 100 feet. When Tai looks at the symbol... well, what's the symbol looks like?

The symbol looks like a large letter "W", written in a strange and seemingly ancient font. When Tai tries to make sense out of that map, she suddenly realises that the center of that aura must be right where the down-left "corner" of the "W" is located. And if you put four more auras of that size at the other parts of the letter, then about half of the city will be covered by it.

Why can't I just write a quote if I want it?

Gwendol
2013-01-29, 09:20 AM
Tristram checks with Tai: Ensign, I pick up no motion. Seems like we're detecting a curse or similar cast over an area. Let's proceed to city hall and see if there is anyone left to save. I fear we have arrived a little late, but let's concentrate on finding someone to save first and deal with the curses later.

The goliath directs his attention to the city hall and orders Harry the Horse forward.

Togo
2013-01-29, 10:13 AM
Tai gives a vague wave that, by virtue of being somewhere near her nose, might be a salute, and motions the party to break cover and enter the hall.

DEMON
2013-01-29, 10:21 AM
Raziel abandons his hiding place at the tree and carefully approaches the town hall gate from a side, trying to see what is inside the building.

Gwendol
2013-01-29, 10:47 AM
Tristram returns the gesture, although with a bit more form. As they reach the city hall, he dismounts and sheathes the lance (military saddle), and draws his massive falchion instead. The weapon looks like it was once pried from the hands of a dead ogre mage (and indeed is).

Approaching the doorway he pauses slightly, scanning the part of the interior he can see or sense.

Tai, any thoughts on approach?

qwert-chan
2013-01-30, 06:33 AM
As your scouts carefully look inside the building, they see the following:

You see a large room supposedly used for public speeches and discussing. It seems that it was not actually touched by all carnage and chaos that happened outside. There are four long rows of wooden chairs, a large tribune at the opposite wall, and a few cabinets along the walls - everything in good condition.

All windows are closed, and there is a small door in the corner to the left.

What is even more interesting about this room is a bald old man with a long black beard that is sitting on a chair behind the tribune. He wears luxurous clothing, his movements are calm and reserved, and his eyes are glowing with intelligence and wisdom he accumulated over the years.

Or they would be, if he wasn't chained to that chair - not just "chained", but completely wrapped in chains, so that only his head, feet and palms can move. The chair is also chained to the floor, and there is a large lock on his chest that seems to hold everything together. The chains are also covered in some kind of green glowing jelly-like substance, and the man seems to be really weak and exhausted.

He does not seems to spot you yet, but he raises his head as if he heard something and asks silently:

"Hey? If anyone there?"

Aand he is glowing with a few faint auras - I'll give you the details after a few rounds pass.

DEMON
2013-01-30, 06:52 AM
Raziel, crouching at the door, scans the room with his periscope, then turns to his gnomish comrade and ask in a whispered voice: "Do you see any magic at play inside the building, Grinoed?"

Togo
2013-01-30, 08:13 AM
Tai wrinkles her nose, and says softly.

Ew. Remind me not to get captured by these people. So there's the bait, where's the trap?

She concentrates for a moment, and then adds. Ok, so not evil, just icky.

only1doug
2013-01-30, 01:33 PM
Grinoed

"There are some weak auras, i'll figure out what kind", come the whispered reply.

Gwendol
2013-01-30, 04:35 PM
Seeing that the scouts are busy, and well covered by the ladies, Tristram gets back up on Harry readying the lance once more. Facing away from the city hall, he mutters: I'll cover our backs while they do what they have to do in there. Let me know if I'm needed. to those nearby.

qwert-chan
2013-01-30, 11:28 PM
Grinoed identifes the following auras on the old man in a chair:

1)moderate illusion
2)moderate conjuration
3)moderate transmutation
4)three weak conjuration auras
5)and a weak enchantment aura

there is nothing written here, move along and forget about it.

only1doug
2013-01-31, 03:08 AM
Grinoed

The whispered conversation continues, "Whoah, how many spells... lets see, minor enchantment, three minor conjurations, moderate conjuration, transmutation and illusion..."

"perhaps the bait is the trap... lets disbelieve this sucker..."

Snowbluff
2013-01-31, 03:14 AM
Terry

"I would suggest throwing rocks, but that's seems a little rude." Terry whispers.

only1doug
2013-01-31, 04:54 AM
Returning to the others outside Grinoed explains what they have found, "so the bald man is covered in chains, there are several magic auras present, either from spells or items which are of either weak or moderate strength."

"I suggest that we take another of these tattered flags and drag it through the green slime, I don't know what will happen but it may be the trigger for the trap, whoever does it should probably avoid touching the slime..."

DEMON
2013-01-31, 05:39 AM
"I was thinking we should just shoot him," said Raziel with a hint of sarcasm. "But your plan might work, too," he added and continued: "I think I should go first, in case they laid some mundane traps in here as well. Hand me the cloth and keep me covered."

only1doug
2013-01-31, 05:51 AM
Grinoed grins to himself happily at a mental image of draping the flag over Raziels head with a quick flick of the wrist, "there, you are covered...", but such tomfoolery would have to wait, there is still danger present.

"Sure Raziel, Here you go.", Grinoed passes Raziel the tattered Flag.

DEMON
2013-01-31, 06:17 AM
Raziel puts on his goggles and enters the large hall, carefully watching his steps, turning his head left and right and very slowly closing the distance between the main entrance and the tied man.

qwert-chan
2013-01-31, 06:35 AM
Nothing happens as you approach the wooden tribune. As you come closer, the man finally seems to have spotted you.

"Hey." - says he in a weak voice. "You don't look like a devil or one of these ogre thugs, so you must be the one of these adventurer-guys I asked for help earlier. Guess I got lucky since at least one of my letters reached its target."

He smiles a little and then continues.

"These bastards and their leader have taken over the whole town and put me here as bait - so don't come any closer, this chair is trapped and the chains are covered with contact poison."

asdfg asdfg

DEMON
2013-01-31, 06:47 AM
"I don't look like a devil, eh?" the tiefling thinks to himself, fending off an urge to smile. "Yeah, I'm one of the good guys," he says to the man in front of him, looks him directly in the eyes and asks: "Is there anyone else in this building?"

Meanwhile, he signals his companions with his hand to come inside the building.

qwert-chan
2013-01-31, 06:53 AM
"No. Nobody that I know of, at least." - he blinks, a little confused at the unexpected question. "I would have told you."

"I can't be sure, though - they can be hiding in the next room, for one, and I was unconscious for a very long time, for two. Their leader... what was his name again? Li-Hon-Ken? oh, Li-Hon-Kay it is! - well, he seems to be really good with magic."

Contrary to what he says, you don't see any traps in the room or around him... But you identify the green jelly covering his chains as a lizardfolk sleep poison that knocks its target unconscious on contact.

EDIT: added the trap search check result.

Gwendol
2013-01-31, 08:06 AM
Tristram keeps up his guard outside (detect evil still active), scanning the perimeter for any evil approaching, confident Tai will do the same towards the inside of the hall.

Amphetryon
2013-01-31, 09:44 AM
Moll cautiously steps inside the door, both hands on her falchion.

Togo
2013-01-31, 02:00 PM
Tai shuffles impatiently, but keeps watch over her teammates as they move, detecting evil all the while.

I have water, if that's useful. She thinks for a moment, and adds, oh, and some big pliers, when you get to the chain.

DEMON
2013-01-31, 05:32 PM
Raziel takes a few steps back and turns to Grinoed: "The green slime is a lizardfolk sleep poison. I didn't find any other trap, though that man claims the chair he's chained to is trapped. Would you mind taking a look yourself? I might have missed something."
He then turns to the furry paladin and says: "Good thinking, Tai, we might need those soon. But first we need to take a second glance on the chair, to avoid any nasty surprises."

only1doug
2013-01-31, 05:35 PM
"I'll take a look, but you are more likely to see them than I am"

qwert-chan
2013-01-31, 06:30 PM
"Please, forget about the traps. I was sitting on this thrice-damned chair for like a week, but I can handle it - since I was quite a daring adventurer back in my days. My people are much more important right now."

As Grinoed and Raziel observe the bald man a little more and listen to his words carefully, they get a clear feeling that he is not as trustworthy as he is trying to be. Something about his words, and the way he says them simply does not match his looks.

You also feel a faint strange smell coming from him. Is it... garlic?

And nope, you still don't see any traps around.

EDIT: Added trap search check result.

Togo
2013-01-31, 09:40 PM
Tai smiles as she steps forward.

Don't worry, I'll keep my distance.

She settles in about 25 feet away.

Relax, keep calm, we'll get you out of there. I'm just going to keep talking while the others do their work. So, you've been chained up like that for how long now? Who did it, and what kind of trap did they put on the chair? You mentioned a devil, can you say what kind? And ahh... what happened here?

She smiles.

You're right of course. We did get your letter, and we brought Pollux just as you asked. He's outside now, keeping watch. But this looks more serious than someone just settling old scores with the two of you. You know what it might be be about?

Diplomacy [roll0]
Bluff (because I made up Pollus to see if really knows what was in that letter) [roll1]

Gwendol
2013-02-01, 04:04 AM
Noticing that the others have entered the building, Tristram once more dismounts and changes his weapon to the falchion. Guard. he orders Harry before stepping inside and taking in the scene.

Before triggering any traps, we should get some more information. Who did this to you and the town? Where are they and what do they want? Where are all the people?

Tristram scrutinizes the mayor before continuing, You seem weakened, but alive and in full posession of your mental capacities. If you don't mind I suggest we leave you be a little longer until we either know we can release you safely, or we no longer have a choice. I don't want us to fail at disarming any trap and accidentally killing you.

qwert-chan
2013-02-01, 06:10 AM
"Well..." - the old man shudders with fear and then continues.

"It all started about two weeks ago when some kind of dark aura covered the entire city, and people started to act strange and disappear at random. I ordered my men to investigate the situation, but then they also disappeared into nowhere. After that, I became really worried and wrote letters to all good-aligned heroes and mercenary groups I know about with a request to help us in a time of need. Wrote a letter to the officials, too, but - well, you know what kind of answer they gave me."

"I ordered my men - well, those of them who were left, actually - to stay on guard, increase our safety measures and close the town gates for everyone, except for those with food and vital supplies. And then one night, someone attacked us from the inside, slayed the remaining guards and opened the gate."

He pauses for a second, and then continues.

"It is all a fearsome red blurry bloodbath after that. I was among the ones who were attacked first - they just appeared in front of me as I was on my way to the gates when all the commotion began. A huge ogre with a blue skin used a spell on me, and then I dropped unconscious."

"When I woke up, I was in this empty room already, with chains and all - but I have managed to briefly come to my senses a few times before they chained me. I heard them talking about their "revenge", about their plan to use me as bait, about the traps, and about the city pillaging. Oh, and the ogre's name, by the way - I mentioned it a few seconds ago."

"There also was a huge flaming demon or a devil leading the attack. Had wings, horns, a flaming whip and a large sword - I have never seen anything like him before."

He tilts his head a little.

"But who is that Pollux you mentioned? I know nothing about a guy with that name. Why don't you ask him to join us so that I can have a look at him?"

And then he turns to the paladin.

"I don't know much except for what I already told you. I don't know what they did to my people. And I completely understand, and can wait for as long as it's needed. You can take some of my old equipment from an iron box in a wardrobe to my left, and use it, if you want - there was a potion that heals poison, for one, and a magical item that protects your mind from enemy spells, for two. Guess you can put it to better use than me."

Just as he finishes speaking Grinoed spots a slightly glowing shimmering magical aura that covers his face. With his force of will and keen eyes, he disbelieves an illusion and realizes that the man in a chair is actually much younger than he is trying to be. His wrinkles are carefully drawn with a pencil, his large nose is actually made of rubber and his long beard is a just a fake glued to his chin. So it's just a clever disguise - but it can't fool you on it's own and without magic.

Nobody else seems to realize it, though.

only1doug
2013-02-01, 06:19 AM
"well, we should try and get these chains off of you, let me just clean off this goo so that Raziel can open the lock safely."

Grinoed takes the cloth and takes enormous care to avoid exposing his skin to the poison, unfortunately much of it splashes onto the old man.

"Ooops, sorry about that, I'm sure it will just wipe off though..."

Grinoed watches the man's response, half expecting him to fake being affected by the sleep poison whilst being immune or under the effects of an antidote.

qwert-chan
2013-02-01, 06:40 AM
"Hey, what are you doing" - the man shudders. "I thought you were going to leave me alone for a while!"

He tries to evade the poison splashes, but it's nearly impossible to do when you're helpless - so some of it actually gets to his face and neck.

"Perhaps you will get..." - he stops in a middle of a sentence and drops unconscious.

Roll Sense Motive checks to see if he's faking it. Those who succeeded on the first one before it get a +2 on the roll, and Grinoed gets an additional +2 since he saw through the illusion.

Gwendol
2013-02-01, 07:43 AM
Tristram furrows his jutting brow, clearly concerned by the information given.

Tell me, besides the blue-skinned ogre and the devil, what manner of beast or creature have you seen or heard? Thank you for your offer of assistance and your patience. We shall make good use of both.

He doesn't seem to react to the name "Pollux", but awaits Tai's reply with a neutral impression.

qwert-chan
2013-02-01, 08:29 AM
The Mayor wakes up just a few seconds after the poison hit him. He shakes his head and then his face glows with anger as he almost cries at the small gnome:

"Look what you did with your clumsy attempt! We were just lucky this wasn't a lethal poison or I would be dead or crippled already! Why don't you just shut up for the rest of the day and go loot the wardrobe full of precious loot instead of trying to kill me? I am trying to help a noble paladin along with a beautiful cat-girl down here, and they are obiviously more competent than you are."

He then calms down almost instantly and turns his head to Tristram.

"I'm sorry about that flash of anger. Just give me a second to come to my senses and I'll gladly answer that question - as well as all the next ones you may have available."

A Will save for Grinoed. And give me Listen checks everyone, please.

Amphetryon
2013-02-01, 09:44 AM
Moll's eyes narrow as the mayor raises his voice at Grinoed.

'You wanna be careful about yelling at my friends, Mister. That's some friendly free advice.'

Snowbluff
2013-02-01, 11:49 AM
Terry

"What if we had been the ones that had fallen asleep? I think missing a defender or two over a non-lethal poison is rather... ill-advised." Terry smiles. "Oh, excuse me, please. I have not introduced myself. I am Terry the Un-Lacerater."

qwert-chan
2013-02-03, 11:04 AM
"Well, it is not like I had no actual reason do to that. Seriously, you outnumber me heavily, I'm bound and helpless, and yet you give me such advice." - he shudders. "Guess I'm in no position to complain, though. Oh, hello." - he smiles at Terry. "Nice to see a polite and friendly face in this dark time and place."

"So, what are you going to do about all this? I am not trying to order you around, but there are people in need. Children, men, and women - some of them may be actually dying right now."

is anyone reading this?

Togo
2013-02-03, 04:44 PM
Tai nods, wide-eyed.

Oh, yes, that makes sense. We really should be saving the innocent. Where did you say they are? What should we be looking out for?

As an aside she twiches her ear at Moll. Could you guard the door? she says softly. One reason to suddenly start shouting is to let his friends know we're here.

qwert-chan
2013-02-03, 05:26 PM
"Friends? What fr - ah, screw this."

Suddenly, the Mayor says a magical word, and reappears in front of his chair, as the poisoned chains harmlessly fall on the ground beyond him. Then, he makes a quick gesture and teleports forward in a cloud of darkness, just outside the building.

"Oh, hello there, little horsie." - smiles he at Tristram's loyal warhorse. "How about you just stay still and let me go? I know we can be friends, and nobody will have to eat you if you do it my way."

Harry looks at him suspiciously, and warns his owner with loud neighing. The Mayor eyes him nervously but decides to ignore him for now, and then takes cover beyond the wall and carefully peers in the doorway.

Guess that was his surprise round, so - roll for initiative.

DEMON
2013-02-03, 06:13 PM
Took quite a few action in the surprise round, he did :smallfurious: About time to make those his last...
Anyways, do we see any more opponents? And how much cover does the evil "mayor" has?

Edit: This was supposed to go to the OOC thread, sorry.

DEMON
2013-02-04, 09:42 AM
No sooner does the mayor-impostor take his place behind the wall, than a dragonsbreath and a serpentstongue arrows fly towards him.

"Grinoed, cover us with darkness," shouts Raziel, immediately after releasing his grip on his bowstring.

qwert-chan
2013-02-04, 10:11 AM
Both arrows strike true, and the Mayor just barely manages to evade Raziel's ignition arrow effect. He bleeds heavily and almost drops on his knees, but then regains his posture and glares in the archer's direction.

Roll for the damage.

Snowbluff
2013-02-04, 12:25 PM
Terry

Terry moves over a bit, and uses Dissolving Spittle.

qwert-chan
2013-02-04, 12:38 PM
A precise stream of acid from Terry hits the tricky impostor right in his chest and dissolves a large chunk of flesh almost instantly. That seems to be too much for him to handle, as he drops down - uncounconscious and bleeding.

Something will happen soon.

Snowbluff
2013-02-04, 12:43 PM
Terry

Terry stares blankly at the man behind the door for a bit. He hadn't really made the decision to attack. He just spit in the direction arrows were being fired. "What just happened?"

Amphetryon
2013-02-04, 01:34 PM
Moll charges out toward the deceptive "mayor" and swings her falchion down at him, landing the blow as the mayor crumples under Terry's spittle.

qwert-chan
2013-02-04, 01:46 PM
The poor guy is impaled with Moll's mighty falchion. He never had a chance to evade that - and another gaping hole in his chest leaves no doubt that he is one-hundred-percent dead. For real, this time.

And just a second later, an illusion that covered his features is no longer functioning. You see that he is(or in this case, was) a young man who seems to be clever and tricky at once. He is also good-looking - so much that he is able to attract people's attention whenever he goes.

Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

only1doug
2013-02-04, 03:12 PM
Grinoed
While focusing his detect magic on the corpse in the hallway Grinoed flicks his darkness imbued pebble to the floor at Raziel's feet, before disappearing into the shadows it provides.

qwert-chan
2013-02-04, 07:06 PM
While studying the impostor's corpse, Grinoed feels magic radiating from him. He'll need to spend more time to get information about the number of auras and their type, though.

And just a second later, you all hear loud arcane mumbling in the air about 50 feet above you. A trapdoor suddenly opens beneath Moll's feet!

You also hear a sound of glass breaking and a slurping sound that both come from beneath.

Someone has activated a hidden pit trap. Make a DC 15 Reflex save - on a success, you evade and can choose which side of the trap to land on, and on a failure - well, down you go.

Amphetryon
2013-02-04, 08:48 PM
Moll jumps instinctively, landing on the side opposite Terry's position.

Togo
2013-02-05, 07:35 AM
Ensign Tai Jones shows no signs of wanting to move. Instead she simply draws out her bow, and stands there, watchful and waiting.

Draw bow as a move action, ready an action to attack

Flying mage? Everyone inside. Someone grab that body, then someone shut the door.

Gwendol
2013-02-05, 08:09 AM
"Inside Harry, and mind the gap" Tristram orders the horse (horse autosucceeds on jump check). Standing guard by the door the paladin readies an attack against anything foolish enough to try and cross the threshold.

qwert-chan
2013-02-05, 08:22 AM
The horse obeys his master unquestioningly and nimbly jumps inside the building.

And then the main threat comes up. As if the invisible sorcerer wasn't enough, five large, blurry, cube-shaped, and half-transparent slimy creatures fly right from the pit trap. They would be completely transparent and very hard to see if they didn't have an obivious shimmering magical aura surrounding each. And the cubies actually look a bit bigger and tougher than the "normal" standart-issue cubies of their species.

What is even more interesting, is that they all act at the same time and mimic each other perfectly. You hear loud and triumphant laughing coming from the same spot as magic before - a few feet from the doorway, and about 50 feet in the air.

You can make your readied attack :smallsmile: he has concealment due to his blurry outline, though.

Togo
2013-02-05, 09:35 AM
Swearing, Tai lets loose an arrow almost as an afterthought, focused as she is on stepping forward to keep the cubes from moving away from the door.

Shooting an arrow with 4 points of combat expertise.
20% miss = 1 in 5 miss chance (1 is miss) [roll0]
If not a 1, then hit AC [roll1] for [roll2] points of damage on cube number: [roll3]

Tai is 5ft stepping to put herself within 10' of the door (so that the cube can't get past with Tristram there as well), but not standing next to another PC (so the cube can't cover two people with the same attack).

Gwendol
2013-02-05, 01:38 PM
"Kavaki guide my hand!" Tristram exclaims as the abberations appear, his falchion sweeping at them in a wide arc.

qwert-chan
2013-02-07, 12:06 AM
Tai's arrow and Tristram's mighty falchion both seem to hit the illusionary images as two of these disappear in a wisp of smoke. Then, the towering stack of abominations tries to shove itself into Moll and Gwendol and engulf them in their Large oozing bodies.

Only three cubes left. Moll and Gwendol must make Reflex DC 15 save to evade the cube or take an AOO(which means auto-failing on the save). If you are engulfed, make Fort DC 22 save or be paralyzed.

Aand the cube's turn is over.

DEMON
2013-02-07, 02:47 AM
Wasting no time with niceties, Raziel shoots and arrow from his dimly lit spot near the chair against one of the oozes. He releases a second arrow immediately after assessing the outcome of his first shot.

qwert-chan
2013-02-07, 03:16 AM
Both arrows hit illusionary targets and the cube has no images left to back him up. You hear loud curses coming from the outside in some kind of weird language - from your old sorcerer friend, most likely.

EDIT: And Raziel can actually understand and translate that creature's infernal speech(profanity excluded):

"Just as I told Vic, his useless minion can't hold up on his own. Glad I have the right spell for this situation prepared."

"Perhaps Li will promote me if I do the dirty job instead of that rascal?"

Gwendol
2013-02-07, 08:28 AM
Despite his massive bulk and heavy armor, Tristram evades the cube with practiced ease.

Amphetryon
2013-02-07, 09:09 AM
Moll miscalculates and ducks toward the enveloping slime, then appears to relax.

Snowbluff
2013-02-08, 11:27 AM
Terry

Terry spits at the ooze at the door with his dissolving spittle. Oozes aren't immune to that, right?

qwert-chan
2013-02-08, 12:24 PM
Oddly enough, the fiendish cube does not seem to be immune to Terry's acid, even though it is literally made of it. Perhaps it is just a different kind of acid, or maybe it is immune on the inside, but not the outside.

Whatever the reason is, the cube slightly twitches in pain and begins bleeding with some kind of transparent liquid - right where it was hit by Incarnum-based blast.

Unable to move a muscle, Moll spends a few seconds floating inside his new buddy. And then, you hear a silent sound of small wings flapping outside, some arcane mumbling - and a thundering explosion included on top.

A long line of lightning passes through the ooze, electrifying Tai and Raziel. The cube itself and Moll do not seem to be affected by it, though. Just as the spell is finished, you all spot a tiny red devilish creature flying just behind the oozing cube. Th imp cackles madly and makes a rude gesture at you.

Take 20 lightning damage, DC 16 Reflex save for half.

Togo
2013-02-08, 01:30 PM
With a laugh and a toss of her head, Tai tucks and roll - in precisely the wrong direction. There is a loud ZAP and she gets unsteadly to her feet, badly blackened and almost twice the size due to her fur sticking out in all directions.

only1doug
2013-02-08, 01:34 PM
Grinoed responds to the Imp revealing its location by returning fire, a crackling beam of shadowy energy that is absorbed by the Ooze blocking the path to the Imp, Grinoed returns the Imps hand gesture with a ruder one and the disappears from sight again.

Togo
2013-02-08, 05:32 PM
Tai pauses, and then calmly shoulders her bow. She steps sideways, rolling Rosario into her hands with a swift motion, her hands assuming their positions on the shaft of the long polearm with practiced ease, and then she jabs fowards, cutting through the ooze like butter.

DEMON
2013-02-09, 02:08 AM
Raziel nimbly avoided the lightning headed towards him and landed back on his feet, with a cocky smile on his face and unharmed.

Gwendol
2013-02-09, 04:37 AM
Tristram grabs the oversized blade with both hands and delivers a blow powerful enough to knock an ogre off his feet. Unfortunately, the wards protecting the abberation throws his aim off and the paladin ends up swinging through air.

"We need to get this thing out of here! I want to go after the devil!" He growls in frustration.

Tristram retreats away from the door in an attempt to clear the way.

qwert-chan
2013-02-09, 04:50 AM
The cube is hit by eldritch blast and the catgirl's polearm, while Tristram's mighty attack barely misses it. A long pseudopod extends from the jelly's surface and attempts to slam Sir Tristram as he retreats back, but strikes at a thin air instead.

An ooze silently cringes in pain, deciding to go for the closest target - it moves forward and enters Tai's space, trying to engulf and digest her with sticky acid.

By doing so it also leaves an opening in its slimy defense for a split second - just enough for a quick jab from her polearm.

Sir Tristram provokes an AOO from the cube for leaving a threatened square.

Then it is just like last turn - an AOO or a Reflex save for Tai. The cube also provokes another AOO from Tai by leaving a square threatened by her.

And the cube doesn't block the doorway now - so you can now leave the building by carefully going around it, or target the Sorcerer if you desire.

He still has ranged cover behind the creature, though(but you have it relative to the imp too).

Aand Moll takes a little damage from the acid.

Togo
2013-02-09, 08:10 AM
Tai lets out a whoops as she smacks the ooze with her blade, then rams the point home, before springing nimbly out of the way.

DEMON
2013-02-09, 09:40 AM
Raziel holds his bow in front of him and mumbles a few words in the tongue of Dragons. Suddenly, the trees in front of the building twist in a grotesque way is if they suddenly became self-conscious and attempt to wrap their branches around the little creature hovering nearby.

The tiefling inside the building then moves towards the area of darkness from which the whisper gnome attacked the ooze a few moments ago and attempts to take cover behind behind some nearby furniture, out of sight from the Imp and the ooze (if there is such a spot).

qwert-chan
2013-02-09, 10:05 AM
Two huge trees growing outside suddenly increase is size, twist, and try to reach the flying sorcerer with their long branches. He tries to evade their grasp, but fails - and now can barely move.

Terry's next.

Snowbluff
2013-02-09, 10:41 AM
Terry

Terry spits at the ooze again, noting that the attack had worked before. "I'll see to anyone who was trapped inside after we stop the ooze." He moves a little away from it.

qwert-chan
2013-02-09, 11:04 AM
Our imp, seeing as he is tightly held in space, closes his eyes and carefully intones another incantation. It does not seem to be disrupted by all the plant-based chaos around him, and another long line of lightning strikes right up to the cloudy sky. All branches around the imp are electrified, charred, and badly burned, and he is himself quite damaged - but he is free, at least for now.

Before the trees have a chance to entangle him again, he quickly flies 20 feet up, away from the evil grappling Whomping Willow wannabe.

And all damage done to the large cube seems to really add up, but it is still far away from death.

The imp is kinda safe for now, but he is very injured. And angry.:smallsmile:

EDIT: The line of sight is broken again. You may try to leave the building to regain it, but the plants will go bananas on Raziel's turn again, so be careful.

Togo
2013-02-09, 07:49 PM
Tai getting into her rhythem now, singing a vague little song to herself as Rosario blurs into a circular motion, catching the cube with a vicious downward strike.

...but he's very very fat. He is not just a standard cat.

Gwendol
2013-02-10, 03:27 AM
Approaching the cube from another side, Tristram attempts to flank it while keeping clear of the door. The falchion strikes true this time and through an empowering shout of "Kavaki!", the goliath cuts deep into the cube. Tristram silently hopes this will finish the cube as he's got no time to withdraw from the hungry aberration.

qwert-chan
2013-02-10, 04:55 AM
The cube flinches really hard when Tristram's mighty weapon almost cuts it in half and a quick jab from Tai's polearm adds insult to injury, but it is still standing nevertheless.

:smalltongue:

only1doug
2013-02-11, 03:04 AM
Grinoed moves to take aim at the Imp and blasts it with another beam of Shadowy energy, his attack going wide of the Imp.

qwert-chan
2013-02-11, 06:27 AM
Once again, the cube's pseudopod extends and tries to slam Grinoed as he passes by, but that sneaky warlock ducks just in time to evade it.

The fiendish sorcerer doesn't seem to spot the source of a sudden eldritch blast as it misses him. Your old friend Cubie, though, doesn't seem to care about darkness, hiding, or pretty much anything else - it decides to go after Grinoed, even though it has another bigger and meatier target in melee. Who knows, perhaps royal flesh is not very tasty for oozes. :smalltongue:

As it tries to engulf the warlock, it opens itself to an attack from Tristram and Tai as it drops its defense for a split second.

And again, Moll is a little dissolved by the acid.

Just as before - two AOO's + Reflex save for Grinoed. And the cube blocks the doorway once again.

only1doug
2013-02-11, 06:33 AM
Grinoed rolls out of the building, narrowly evading the Oozes attempt to engulf him.

Gwendol
2013-02-11, 06:59 AM
Tristram reacts with both speed and might, only to find that once more the illusion protecting the aberration foils his attempts at finishing it off.

Togo
2013-02-11, 08:42 AM
Tai, flashes forward her guisarm, hoping to catch the cube unawares.

DEMON
2013-02-11, 08:55 AM
Raziel steps out of his cover, seemingly dissatisfied with the oozes position and sends 2 arrows against the overgrown blob. This time, no illusions distract the archer's aim and both attacks hit their intended target.

only1doug
2013-02-11, 09:11 AM
Grinoed nimbly evades branches as the trees grasp mindlessly at his shadow-hidden form.

qwert-chan
2013-02-11, 02:25 PM
The cube is bleeding heavily from many holes that you made in it and looks critically injured, but it just refuses to go down. It'll take just one or two more attacks to finally bring it down, judging by his looks.

Trees outside go rampant and try to snatch everything within their reach - but the imp is out of range and the warlock is too nimble for them to grab, so they just end up attacking building walls and ground, with no visible effect.

Terry's next.

Snowbluff
2013-02-11, 03:34 PM
Terry

Terry gives the ooze a funny. Bleeding? The acid was obviously working, but this monster is beyond comprehension. He spits at it.

qwert-chan
2013-02-11, 03:48 PM
The imp outside curses you one last time and decides to retreat to safety. He turns invisible and silently flies away.

Aand the cube is still standing in your way - injured, but threatening nevertheless.

Seems that the fight's almost done to me.

only1doug
2013-02-12, 07:46 AM
Tai and Grinoed strike at the cube almost simultaneously, Polearm and Shadowy ray hit the gelatinous mass together.

Grinoed returns into the building to avoid the grasping trees.

Togo
2013-02-12, 08:48 AM
At the simultaneous strike , the cube sags, oozing from rents, tears and burns. Tai lets raises her polearm in trimuph, and then deftly hooks Moll out of the slime and pulls her with a slippery rush onto the floor. She bends down to wipe clear her mouth and nose from, and then starts more generally scraping off the slime, adding a bit of water now and then from her waterskin.

She saves the last of the bedraggled orange cloth to clean the ooze off Rosario, and then drops the smoking rag to the floor.

Well, the remains of a hobgoblin banner should thoroughly confuse anyone trying to work out who we are. I don't suppse these guys had a flag?

only1doug
2013-02-12, 08:50 AM
Grinoed retrieves a wand from his pack and activates it on Moll, then a short time later on Tai.

"So, Should we check out the cursed items the guy was trying to convince us to take? better check for traps first I guess"

Gwendol
2013-02-12, 10:11 AM
Is it save to step outside far enough to drag the "Mayor" inside? Tristram asks Grinoed, looking to recover the corpse for further investigation, and to be able to close the doors of the building in order to restrict access.

only1doug
2013-02-12, 11:02 AM
Grinoed replies, "Well Raziel's trees are trying to grab anything that moves, If he were to dismiss the spell it should be safe enough... for now"

qwert-chan
2013-02-12, 12:07 PM
The cube's remains evaporate almost instantly after his death - and you see that it had nothing useful inside. Just a few remains from its previous victims - small bones, tattered cloth, and golden coins, that are corroded beyond recovery.

The "Mayor's" corpse lies next to the doorway - close enough to reach without angering all the plants. Sir Tristram carefully takes it inside - and shuts the door.

Raziel's Entangle has only a few rounds left.

DEMON
2013-02-12, 12:22 PM
Raziel joins his companions and with a vawe of his hand and a word the trees outside revert to their original form, no longer grasping wildly at anything within their range.

Gwendol
2013-02-12, 02:37 PM
Pulling the body inside Tristram leaves for examination by the more skillful members of the party. Himself being more concerned with guarding against unknown dangers. The pit trap intrigues him though and he approaches it to take a peek inside.

qwert-chan
2013-02-12, 03:14 PM
THE PIT is just an ordinary square-shaped 40 feet deep pit in the ground. Its walls are covered by the cube's acidic ooze, and there is nothing on the bottom except for some garbage.

Judging by its looks, it also seems to be dug just recently - a day or maybe two, tops. And the trapdoor trigger is actually more complex than the normal pressure-activated trigger - perhaps you should ask someone more experienced with traps to check this out.

Gwendol
2013-02-12, 04:25 PM
"This looks like it was made recently, but the trap mechanism looks way more elaborate than necessary, no?" Tristram asks Raziel, pointing to the area of interest.

only1doug
2013-02-12, 06:21 PM
Grinoed offers his opinions of the inner workings of the trap mechanism.
aid another.

DEMON
2013-02-12, 06:24 PM
Raziel thoroughly examines the trap and its triggering mechanism, trying to determine any useful information and discusses his findings with his fellow trapfinder Grinoed.

Togo
2013-02-12, 07:22 PM
Tai shrugs, and bring out her rope. She starts hammering a spike next to the side of the pit, to act as a brace.

Snowbluff
2013-02-12, 09:36 PM
Terry

Terry examines the corpse of the "mayor". He's pretty sure he's dead, but he's seen things get up after being dead. Heck, he's gotten up after being dead.

qwert-chan
2013-02-13, 12:53 AM
What's interesting about the trap is that it was initially "dormant" and unactive - and could be armed remotely with a switch hidden a few feet away in the ground. It seems that it was exactly what happened when Moll was standing on top of it earlier. There is also another wire going inside the building, to, presumably, another similar switch.

You can disable the trap, or try to track the wire to find it's origins, if you're curious.

And the "Mayor" is completely and hopelessly dead. Even with magic and various feign-death-tricks, you can't live when half of your chest is missing.

DEMON
2013-02-13, 04:45 AM
As soon as Terry is done examining the fallen foe, Raziel crouches to the body, cuts the dead spellcaster's neck and with a few more cuts and swings manages to completely decapitate him. He then throws the severed head to the nearby pit, saying: "You can never be too careful with these spellslingers."

"Now let's see where this wire leads to," he continues, taking point.

qwert-chan
2013-02-13, 04:49 AM
Wire track result:

The wire goes to the wardrobe inside the building - the same wardrobe the Mayor-impostor wanted you to open. It is set so that the trap arms itself when the wardrobe is opened. You also don't find any other traps at the wardrobe's location while you're at it.
EDIT:

And Moll is able to move again as the cube's potent paralysis effect slowly wears off.

Amphetryon
2013-02-13, 10:25 AM
Moll looks up at Tristam, her expression one of someone clearing the cobwebs from her brain.

Did we win?

Snowbluff
2013-02-13, 01:10 PM
Terry

Terry wipes the blood off his gloves. "We managed, but the remaining combatant escaped. Some kind of fiend." He gives a weak smile and extends a hand to help Moll up.

Gwendol
2013-02-13, 02:04 PM
"Aye, though it's a phyrric victory; the invisible imp was able to flee." Tristram extends an arm and pulls the warrior back on her feet.
"Good to have you back in one piece!"

Snowbluff
2013-02-13, 02:34 PM
Terry

Terry walks off a little. He was used to being ignored. 'Tis a healer's lot in life. :smallfrown:

only1doug
2013-02-13, 03:29 PM
With the trap completely revealed Grinoed turns his attention to the imposters remains.

Detect magic

qwert-chan
2013-02-13, 04:22 PM
Grinoed senses the following auras coming from the impostor's body:

1)A moderate transmutation aura is emanated by a beautiful silk cloak adorned with gems and jewelry.
2)A moderate conjuration aura on his anklets(which, interestingly, look like just the ones some of you already have).
3)Three weak conjuration auras from potions on his belt - two swirling potions and one shimmering potion.
4)And a weak enchantment aura at a twisted magic wand on his belt.

phat lewt!

only1doug
2013-02-13, 04:49 PM
"His cloak and anklets are enchanted as are the potions and wand of course, I can spend a short while figuring out what they are... but it may be better to do that elsewhere"

qwert-chan
2013-02-14, 12:44 AM
As Raziel searches the wardrobe for traps, he also finds a lead box hidden among the fancy clothes.

It contains:
1)A curved shortsword(moderate evocation)
2)2 sparkling potions(faint evocation)
3)A translucent potion(moderate necromancy)
4)A rune-covered crystal(faint psychokinesis)
5)Two scrolls(faint evocation and faint necromancy, respectively)
6)A long silk cord with a few ties on it(faint abjuration)
7)Brass ring(faint abjuration)
8)Some kind of nonmagical golden idol statuette
9)And 124 platinum coins.

:smallsmile:

only1doug
2013-02-15, 03:52 AM
"Would someone grab this loot, then lets scoot!", Grinoed grins at his little rhyme, "I'd love to help you carry it but it looks a bit heavy for little old me..."

"we need to move, the enemy know we are here, so lets relocate."

Gwendol
2013-02-15, 07:00 AM
Right, we better move. There's a grocery store across the road with small windows. It looks like the walls are strong and the door sturdy, and it offers a view over this building, giving us the chance to surprise anyone looking for us here. The other option is the guardpost by the gate, but I suggest we use that if we need to rest or fight back an overwhelming opposition. Raziel and Grinoed, can you scout ahead and give us the all clear? I'll have us lined up and ready to move on your signal.

Tristram looks out over at the grocery store.

Tristram can carry anything, and if not him his horse.

only1doug
2013-02-15, 07:23 AM
"Ok, lets do it...", Grinoed ushers Raziel in front to scout ahead, following close behind and assisting as needed.

DEMON
2013-02-15, 08:09 AM
Raziel takes point, moving from cover to cover, trying to keep a low profile and slowly heading towards the grocery store while observing his surroundings for any potential threats.

Gwendol
2013-02-15, 08:23 AM
Tristram gets up on Harry's back and readies his lance, awaiting the signal to cross the distance to the store.
As soon as the scouts give us the all-clear, we move. I'll escort you along the way, ready to charge anything that approaches.
The goliath says to his companions as they gather around the doorway.

Amphetryon
2013-02-15, 09:04 AM
Moll grips her falchion tightly, ready to charge in to help her friends if needed.

qwert-chan
2013-02-15, 02:30 PM
As you slowly move towards your destination, you don't see any changes outside, except for a few drops of imp blood and trees that are still a little deformed from the spell.

The grocery store is a one-floor building that looks large and secured. It has large reinforced wooden doors with two locks, small windows that seem to be locked from the inside - who knows, perhaps that building's owner was a soldier at heart - or maybe he was afraid of shoplifters.

You don't see anything special as you enter inside - just some mundane trade equipment, food that is a bit outdated, and a small door in the corner of the room.

And someone has left the keys to the whole place at the counter next to the doorway.

Oh, and the building is not immediately across the street - it is a few meters away from the town hall, so it is not the first place for someone to look for you. Second or third, maybe. :smallsmile:

only1doug
2013-02-18, 07:11 AM
From the shadows a low voice speaks quietly, "Seems empty, you check for traps Raz, I'll scan for magic."

qwert-chan
2013-02-18, 08:16 AM
You all hear a very silent but obivious sound in the distance - much like a large group of people moving a few blocks away. They don't try to hide their presence and don't talk - so all you can hear is their footsteps. As you check for traps, the sound approachers closer - you estimate that you have about 5-6 minutes before that "something" comes in sight.

You don't see anything magical in your vicinity, and Raziel finds no traps inside the building.

*Assuming Raziel takes 10 on Search.

only1doug
2013-02-18, 09:19 AM
"all clear guys, come in quick"

Grinoed enters the building and points at the keys, "someone lock up behind us, I'll have a quick look at some of these items starting with this cloak"

Grinoed sits crossed legged on the floor and puts a monocle to his eye before examining the expensively adorned silk cloak.

Gwendol
2013-02-18, 09:42 AM
At the signal, Tristram orders Harry forward while making sure they keep the same pace as those on foot (though 15' ahead).

There's the signal! Let's go.

Amphetryon
2013-02-18, 11:36 AM
Moll trots in at the word from Tristam, glancing back and forth as she crosses the space.

qwert-chan
2013-02-18, 12:24 PM
You identify your beautiful jewel embedded silk cloak as an item that magically increases his owner's force of personality and physical attractiveness when worn. Magicians and artificers call these useful things "Cloaks of Charisma(+2 variety)".

The sounds also come a little bit closer. You'll have enough time to identify a few more items, so pick... let's say three of them.

Listen and Spot checks, everyone.:smallsmile:

Grinoed chooses a few items that he deems most worthy, and spends a few minutes analyzing their magical properties.

The first item he picked is a small leg bracelet that is favored among rogues and melee fighters. It allows its wearer to quickly teleport in short range, two times per day.

The second item is a curved and twisted metal wand that fills its target's mind with gibberish sounds and everchanging flickering rainbow colors, trying to confuse them for a short period of time.

Aand the third item is a crystal that can be activated to store psionic power inside and recall it when need arises. It is not much of use to you right now - but a magical item is a magical item nevertheless, and can be sold for quite a price.

Togo
2013-02-20, 05:24 AM
Meanwhile Tai has been rooting through her backpack. Aftera moment, her tail lifts in triumph as she removes bizzare and unusual item, a crystal-tipped hand drill. Then she carefully drills a spyhole in the corner of one of the window frames. Setting up watch on events outside, she offers the drill to anyone else who wants it.

After a few glances at the beautiful iridescent cloak, she eventually gives in, putting it on. Her old cloak gets stowed away in her backpack.

Gwendol
2013-02-20, 07:24 AM
Tristram re-arranges the furniture in the room. Using his enormous strength, and with Harry's help, the counters and desks are all pushed along the walls or into adjacent rooms in order to get a large enough open space. Satisfied, the paladin mounts his horse and leaning forward to avoid banging his helmet against the ceiling awaits the report from the what is seen outside.

qwert-chan
2013-02-20, 12:29 PM
In the distance, you spot a large group of common townsfolk - fifteen of them, to be exact - slowly shuffling towards the townhall. They act in a perfect unison, as if they were controlled by some kind of outside force, their faces are devoid of any emotion, and they don't say a word - just stare forward and move their limbs to propel themselves forward.

They are all armed with various manucrafted and improvised weapons - knifes, pipes, chairs, iron poles, torches, and even glass shards. Some of them are obiviously wounded and bleeding, but that doesn't seem to concern anyone.

You also spot a prominent young woman leading the crowd, who is weird and awkward as well. What's interesting about her is her set of heavy armor with Whitestone's royal insignia on it, and that she is armed with a large burning(and obiviously magical) morning star. She holds it with practiced ease, her face and arms are covered in blood, her mind is clouded, and she has a devilish smile on her face - the only one sign of emotion in the whole crowd.

:smallamused:

qwert-chan
2013-02-21, 12:35 PM
Okaaay.

As you wait inside and observe the situation, the crowd approaches the town hall, and approximately half of them enters the building. Three of them indifferently fall down into the pit, with a following sound of bones breaking. They search the town hall thoroughly, then come out - and begin to look for you in nearby structures. Two of them(a man with a pitchfork, and a wounded woman with a torch) obiviously move towards "your" building.

All this happens without anyone saying a word. The warrior-woman, for some reason, decides to stay next to the town hall's doorway.

12 townsfolk and their female leader left.

Gwendol
2013-02-22, 09:51 AM
Tristram listens to the information relayed by their scouts, and from Tai and Raziel's whispered conversation has an idea of what they are up against. Adjusting his position in the saddle he gets ready for action, holding the lance low and parallell to the floor.
As soon as the spell is cast and the door opened he spurs Harry onward, ready to charge/incapacitate the woman guard.

Togo
2013-02-22, 11:41 AM
Tai frowns. All around her the group are getting ready for action, hand signals being exchanged, and weapons being readied. Tristram even has his mount lined up with the entrance way, no mean feat in the crowded confined of the store. Yet she is unaccountably still the same size.

Touching Grinoed on the shoulder, she tries to make it clear, by puffing out her cheeks, making expansive gestures with her hands and pointing at her wand hanging at his belt, that this would be great time time for Tai to be bigger round about now.

Then, gripping Rosario tightly, she wait for the right moment to trigger the charge.

only1doug
2013-02-22, 11:45 AM
Grinoed squints at Tai's expression, then the confusion clears and he triggers a wand on her, Increasing her size drastically.

Amphetryon
2013-02-22, 12:52 PM
Moll watches Tai receive the benefit of a growth spurt from the wand in Grinoed's possession, and gestures from Tai to the wand to herself, hoping for a similar boon.

only1doug
2013-02-22, 04:54 PM
Grinoed nods to Moll and casts the same spell on her, further depleting Tai's wand.

DEMON
2013-02-22, 07:27 PM
Raziel once again speaks the magic word and activates the wand stored inside his bow. A few moments later, the trees outside are brought to life once more and start wrapping their branches and roots around the nearby folk, that is clearly caught by surprise by the turn of events.

qwert-chan
2013-02-22, 07:59 PM
Five villagers manage to(somehow) escape the grasping vines, while all others(including the warrior-woman) are effectively immobilized. Those of them who can still move turn to look in your direction - and suddenly you all hear a booming voice in your head.

"Surrender right now, drop your weapons and leave the city peacefully - or else I'll force these helpless citizens to commit suicide - and their blood will be on your hands."

The townsfolk stare at you blankly and slowly rise their weapons to their bare necks and arms, showing that he, clearly, isn't joking.

"Whatever happens here and now is of no concern of yours."

Will saves, everyone.

EDIT: And, in spite of the fact that you are distracted, everyone(except for Grinoed) hears a silent sound of wings flapping somewhere above you - about 100 feet away in the air.

Togo
2013-02-25, 05:54 AM
Tai wrinkles her nose.

Wait, he kills them and we're responsible? She whispers. How is that supposed to work? Unless anyone thinks these people are going to live long happy lives if we leave?

She fingers her polearm.

If we attack him, he's more likely to try and kill us with his puppets than get them to kill themselves out of spite. Even so, I don't see any way around this that doesn't risk some of them.

Amphetryon
2013-02-25, 08:24 AM
Moll glances briefly at her friends and adjusts the grip on her weapon.

"Let them come. We make our stand here. I will not drop a drawn weapon by choice while I draw breath."

Gwendol
2013-02-26, 02:11 PM
"I don't see any of us forcing their hands: their blood will be on you and we'll make sure you pay for it, fiend!" Comes Tristrams defiant reply as he charges out and makes straight for the armored woman attempting to knocking her out cold with a powerful charge.

qwert-chan
2013-02-26, 07:47 PM
Tristram's mighty charging smash barely misses the woman - she is just too good with her full plate armor and a small buckler strapped to her hand.

And the voice continues talking.

"But what will happen if you fail to stop me and they all die? Think about it - mind control or not, you can also contribute to the numerous killings that may or may not happen here."

"And I was called a lot of different names in my long life, but I am not a fiend myself. I work for one, though, if that counts."

He also smiles at the paladin's charge.

"These slaves do serve their purpose - they distract you and absorb your hits while I work my magic. Isn't it wonderful?"

Terry, Grinoed, and Tai are next.

Snowbluff
2013-02-26, 10:19 PM
Terry

"This poses an interesting predicament. Perhaps we should grapple the woman..." He mutters. Terry spits at her anyway, since he did not feel like debating tactics with himself.

only1doug
2013-02-27, 02:57 AM
Summoning more shadow to another pebble in his hand, Grinoed hides in it, then walks up the exterior walls of the building to take position on the roof, waiting for the Imp to reveal its location.

Grinoed leaves the pebble in the guttering when he reaches the rooftop, and continues on so that he is 30' away from it.

Togo
2013-02-27, 07:20 PM
Tai has to duck her head to leave the building, but she manages to keep her polearm straight and level. She moves quickly towards Sir Tristram's target, stopping 20' away. Her guisarms flashes out in a complicated series of strikes, low, high, low before giving a devastating chop that goes wide of the mark and then reverses at the last moment, trying to sweep out the legs from under her opponent.

As her opponent falls, Tai, reverses the polearm and gives it a thurst, inserting the blade in between the falling knight and her weapon, and giving it a hard twist. The armoured foe and her weapon fall to ground.

Tai raises her guisarm, ready to chop, the blade hovering like a judgement about to fall.

qwert-chan
2013-02-28, 08:48 AM
With a loud *splurch* sound, Terry's acidic spittle hits the armored woman and begins dissolving her left arm - but she shows no signs of pain, or any real reaction at all. And as if it wasn't enough, she is now also disarmed and tripped.

The plants try to get their leafy revenge on everyone within their reach - with mixed results. Only one lucky peasant is left - the one with the torch next to the warrior-woman.

Tristram gets an AOO on a tripped foe. Tristram and Tai, make Reflex saves(DC 11) vs. entanglement.

Gwendol
2013-02-28, 03:02 PM
Tristram evades the grasping vines with little difficulty while taking advantage of a sudden opening in the grounded woman's defences. The lance butts her hard.

qwert-chan
2013-03-01, 06:06 AM
That last peasant's luck is kinda short-lived since a fast blunt arrow from Raziel's bow drops him down. The second arrows goes for the armored woman and knocks her unconcious.
Moll's next.

Amphetryon
2013-03-03, 11:06 PM
Moll adjusts the grip on her weapon and moves to interpose herself between the peasant with the torch and the fallen warrior-woman.

Gwendol
2013-03-04, 04:52 AM
Tristram sheathes the lance and draws the mighty curved blade instead. Tracing a pattern with the blade it suddenly glows briefly with holy light.

Lord Kavaki, give this blade thy blessing!

qwert-chan
2013-03-04, 06:44 AM
The peasants struggle against the entanglement - and two men armed with a sharpened metal pole and a kitchen knife actually manage to break themselves free.

Terry and Grinoed are next as the woman is kind of unable to act right now.
So much for the Stone Bones feat...

only1doug
2013-03-04, 07:00 AM
Grinoed causes another area of rooftop to become sheltered in welcoming shadows and then invokes his ability to detect magical aura's, all whilst remaining concealed from casual sight.

qwert-chan
2013-03-04, 07:06 AM
Grinoed detects presence of magical auras on the battlefield.

:smallsmile:
EDIT: Tai's next.

Togo
2013-03-06, 07:48 AM
Tai whirls around to engage the man with the knife, making a spiral pass with the guisarm, before jabbing sharply with the blunt side, hopnig to catch the man off-balance.

qwert-chan
2013-03-07, 02:27 AM
The man had no chance to evade that - he goes down like a large sack of potatoes and his sharp knife is now on the ground, too - a foot or two away from him, but still within his arm's reach.

Suddenly, you are engulfed by a powerful feeling of unsure and self-doubt. It disappears almost instantly for all of you, except for Moll and Raziel, whose minds are still affected by some kind of outside force. They both have a great crisis of confidence and are heavily inclined to abandon the battlefield and leave the invisible voice to his own devices.

"Who knows, perhaps some of you are not as good as they pretend to be. How about you think about my offer again before I get really angry and take the big guns out?"

You also hear a silent strange sound of tiny bells ringing, and smell some kind of weak odor. It is too subtle to pin the source down, but it clearly comes from the entangled peasants.

Moll and Raziel are shaken. Despite what the flavor text says, they are not specifically compelled in any way - they are just... afraid, that's all.

Raziel, Moll and Tristram are next.

EDIT: And some of you identify that it was an effect of a psionic power called Demoralize (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/demoralize.htm)

Gwendol
2013-03-09, 06:25 AM
"Stop playing around! You are about to get me angry, and believe me; you don't want to see me angry. Take us to your leader, and then maybe I'll spare you!"

Tritram speaks in the direction of the voice, his voice rolling across the square.

qwert-chan
2013-03-09, 10:47 AM
Tristram's powerful threat is met with silence... for now.

The enemies delay their actions, so Moll, Terry, Grinoed and Tai can all act in any order.

only1doug
2013-03-09, 03:38 PM
Grinoed creates an area of darkness on an adjacent rooftop, tightens his focus with detect magic and remains hidden.

Togo
2013-03-10, 07:16 PM
Tai whirls around once more, and then crouches, tense and ready to strike.

Readying an action to attack anyone who looks to be attacking us or the townsfolk.

qwert-chan
2013-03-12, 04:49 AM
Grinoed detects 22 magical auras of various strength. The strongest aura belongs to the evocation school.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/xph_gallery/80511.jpg

And then, something really interesting happens - an entangled unarmed peasant transforms into a large, floating and icky semi-transparent green brain that emanates some kind of powerful mind-boggling aura and wears a fancy silk robe.

All branches that used to hold it pass through his incorporeal body and try to grasp the air - and then the creature turns in your direction and shudders.

Tai can take her readied action(and yes, he is in your and Sir Tristram's reach).

EDIT: Oh, and by the way - Tai and Tristram, make Reflex saves vs. Raziel's Entangle.

Togo
2013-03-12, 05:06 PM
Tai hesitates for a moment, her hackles rising, but then as the brain starts to attack, she snaps into action, lunging forth and the green floating form with vicious twisting strike.

qwert-chan
2013-03-13, 03:29 AM
Tai's quick jab does not manage to harm the Unbodied and freely passes through his incorporeal body.

Then, the brain shudders again, and his armor(with a few items attached to it) drops to the ground. Suddenly you feel that his psychic influence is gone - and all peasants return from their emotionless state to normal. Most of them drop powerless almost instantly due to tiredness, wounds and hunger, and a few women(and children) begin to cry in shock and fear. Those who were armed drop their weapons with disgust.

An Unbodied then levitates directly down, trying to enter solid ground and escape.

Tai and Tristram can make AOO's.

Gwendol
2013-03-13, 04:09 AM
Tristram reacts quickly and jabs at the abomination as it attempts escape.

Togo
2013-03-13, 07:56 AM
As her blade passes harmlessly through the incorporeal brain, Tai quickly reverses her grip, and attempts to plunge the point of her now raised guisarm deep into the ghostly green mass.

qwert-chan
2013-03-13, 08:04 AM
The brain escapes into the ground unharmed, leaving only an oozed robe behind.

You all also hear a sound of wings flapping above you that quickly becomes more and more silent and vanishes in a distance.

Combat's over, guys.

only1doug
2013-03-13, 08:16 AM
Grinoed maintains his concentration on the detect magic spell and remains hidden.

qwert-chan
2013-03-13, 08:34 AM
Grinoed detects nine auras emanating from an unconscious armored woman with a burning mace:

1)Three faint abjuration auras
2)One moderate evocation aura
3)One faint transmutation aura
4)One faint conjuration aura
5)Two faint transmutation auras
6)One faint evocation aura.

The robe Unbodied left also glows with:

1)moderate conjuration
2)strong enchantment
3)2 psychometabolism auras
4)1 psychokinesis aura

And a necromancy aura that covers the whole town + a transmutation aura from Raziel's Entangle.

That's all.

only1doug
2013-03-13, 09:40 AM
Grinoed spiderwalks down the walls to ground level.

"I can detect no more remaining magic's except the entangle, two Enlarge persons and a lot of aura's upon the young lady there", Grinoed gestures towards the unconcious woman.

Gwendol
2013-03-13, 01:52 PM
"Quick, let's help these people to safety, they've suffered enough! Perhaps we can learn something useful." Tristram says to Tai, seeing that she's likely to grab their attention.

DEMON
2013-03-13, 05:24 PM
Raziel lowers his bow and dismisses the Entangle effect, thus releasing everyone entwined by the plants.

Togo
2013-03-15, 06:22 AM
Tai takes a final look around, and then rests the butt end of her guisarm on the ground. Leaning on the shaft of the polearm, she stretches first one leg, than the other, in the approved battle manual manner for winding down after a drill.

Any of you folks hurt? And can any of you tell us what's been going on here?

qwert-chan
2013-03-15, 09:10 AM
The townsfolk slowly stand up and try to come back in touch with the rest of the world. In a few seconds, they all stand in front of Tai - still weak and moderately injured, but determined to help their saviors, to the best of their abilities.

A hulking peasant dressed in burlap and dungarees steps forward.

"I... I don't remember much" - he says slowly. "All I recall is that one day I heard a strong voice in my head that... that stripped me of my free will. That voice told me and my friends to ambush the town guards at night and open the city gates."

"They also sent assassins to murder all who could put up an actual fight, and silently entered the town with a band of hill ogres at the same time. We had a few problems with them before, but... nodody expected them to actually rally together and come here. And... and do it so in such a subtle way."

"I don't remember much after that. They took most of us to the hills or to the sewers - to take part in some kind of weird magic ritual I heard them talking about."

A tall woman dressed in fancy but torn and dirty clothes continues.

"They kept us in pits it the sewers, with very little food and water. Nothing really happened there - we were just standing there for days and waiting for new orders. They took some of us away - and I never heard of them ever since. And then, that voice ordered us to come to the surface, grab any weapons we could find and beat you up. Glad you could put up an actual fight, though."

"As for us, we're pretty fine. We could really use some medical attention, a bath and a large roasted stake, though. That brain didn't really care for our health or comfort level, but he needed us alive for something."

Another voice comes from the crowd.

"Hey, don't forget about the angel-boy!"

"Oh, right." - her face darkens. "Some kind of angelic creature came to rescue us a few days ago. Mounted on a large shiny dragon, no less. That didn't end too well, though - they blasted him down and are now trying to brainwash him, and harvest him for organs."

"Perhaps our Captain of the Guard can help you." - she points in the armored woman's direction. "She is the strongest warrior around here and a renowned leader. When the chaos began, she tried to rally the troops and fight the ogres back - but failed."

She pauses.

"Sorry if I seem too calm talking about it, but I had a plenty of time to think when my mind was locked away. You can't even imagine how many times I repeated a speech I would say to my saviors to myself."

Perhaps that's the only reason I could keep my sanity in one piece. - she smiles weakly. "I'm just afraid I can lose my free will to that weird alien thingy again. Why did I become free in the first place? It is not like he's dead or something."

Roll Sense Motive.

Snowbluff
2013-03-18, 05:56 PM
Terry

Terry clears his throat and speaks up. "Is anyone injured? I can heal." He calls out from behind doorway.

qwert-chan
2013-03-18, 06:14 PM
A scarred farmer and a bloodied woman in a priest's outfit step forward.

"Actually, yes - we were moderately injured during the ogres' invasion. Our wounds were already taken care of, so you should hold on to your magic if you will need it in battle - but if you have some to spare, it will be really nice."

You hear a sound of someone's stomach growling.

"Oh, and we would really appreciate a dinner - something nice and roasted, but... but that's not important and can wait until we get somewhere safe."

"And can you please wake up our leader? She's the one who was in charge here, after all."

White blank space filler.

Gwendol
2013-03-19, 10:42 AM
Right. We tried to go easy on the captain, so hopefully she'll recover soon enough. We have seen there is some kind of spell covering the whole town, and I'm not sure you can be safe inside it. Grab whatever foods you find in the grocery store and make for a safe spot outside, once we've dealt with the intruders we'll let you know.
Now, we were called here by a letter from Pinkwheel, the mayor. Where is he? Where were you held captive, exactly? How do we gain access to the sewers, and is the angelic creature and its dragon held down there as well? Besides the hill ogres and the brain, what other creatures have you seen?

Tristram dismounts and towers over the villagers while peppering them with questions, his voice calm and steady, as if to instill confidence.

only1doug
2013-03-21, 03:14 AM
Grinoed spends some time examining the unconcious lady, trying to determine the cause of each of the aura's upon her.

qwert-chan
2013-03-21, 12:25 PM
"Roger that." - the noble woman from before seems to have taken a position of a temporary leader. With a few short orders she sends the peasants to get some food and help those who can barely stand or are unconscious.

"They took the Mayor and the others to the ogre encampment in the hills, two days from here. Just go out of the city gates and move to the north - you won't miss it."

"The dragon and and the angel were held just next to us. There is a main sewer access tunnel down the street" - she points in the direction they came from - "Three blocks from here, and the entrance has a trap wire on it, so be careful. Normally, I would tell you where you can get the key - but the gates are smashed into rubble now, so the key is kind of unnecessary. These tunnels were a part of an ancient underground city infested with monsters - before our fighters cleared the top levels and blew up the passage to the lower levels with dynamite. Who knows what kind of creatures lurk there now, without our soldiers to keep them in line."

She pauses.

"Besides the ogres and the brain, there also was a blue-skinned ogre covered with tattoos, an assassin that could sing magical songs, a crazy priest in green robes, with a large "J" letter on all his possessions, a transparent cube that he used to command around, a halfling animal trainer with a bunch of demonic buzzing mosquitos, and a trapmaster ninja."

"And just in case you'll have to fight the captives - I actually remember more stuff about those celestial creatures. The angel is a large human-shaped creature with a long shining sword, and his dragon mount is green/yellow-colored. Hope that is helpful to you."

A silent moan comes from the town hall entrance.

"Can you also help those who fell down the pit? If anyone's in need of a healing spell, it is them."

She also spots a long column of smoke from before.

"As for the spell... you can go to the town library to do some research about it. We had a plenty of books on obscure magical rituals - and I really hope it isn't one of them burning right now."

"And I haven't introduced myself yet. Alice Silversoul, the royal librarian, scribe and historian - at your service."

You can make DC 15 Knowledge(local), Knowledge(religion), Knowledge(planes), Knowledge(planes) again, and Knowledge(arcana) checks, respectively, to identify the monsters she is talking about.

As Grinoed examines the armored woman closer, he is able to determine the source of each aura.

1)Three faint abjuration auras - one from her armor, and two - from two potions on her belt.
2)One moderate evocation aura - from a fiery mace.
3)One faint transmutation aura - radiating directly from her skin.
4)One faint conjuration aura - from her armor.
5)Two faint transmutation auras - from the other two potions on her belt.
6)One faint evocation aura. - from her fiery mace, again.

EDIT: Raziel identifies the blue-skinned ogre as an ogre mage. Something is very odd about that the woman's description, though - these creatures are known for their subtetly, and they never, ever walk around visible and in their natural forms. So it's either something wrong about the ogre, or it's the woman is trying to fool you.

only1doug
2013-03-22, 03:08 AM
Grinoed listens carefully to the womans speech, weighing each word for truthfulness...

Togo
2013-03-22, 08:48 PM
Tai looks alert and attentive for almost a second before fidgeting. After a few seconds, she sighs deeply, goes back into the shop. There's a loud <crack> and then emerges carrying a clothesline, a stepladder, a handful of nails, and what looks like the countertop of the store.

You let me know when we find out what all those big necromantic things are?

She heads for the pit, from which a few faint sounds can be heard. After a few moments, there is the sound of hammering.

Ladder is coming. Well not exactly a ladder, more of a gangplank, but it should let people down to tend to you.

qwert-chan
2013-03-24, 05:48 PM
Two men and a woman climb up the improvised ladder. They look relatively unharmed - except for the woman, who seems to be in pain - and her arm is hanging limply, like a lifeless chunk of meat.
One fracture spotted.

And with a silent "pop", the magical ooze-covered robe vanishes into thin air, leaving only a small purple semi-transparent crystal behind. The peasants stare at you with clouded eyes and slowly reach for the weapons that they dropped before.

A few seconds later, you spot four large armed humanoids down the street, heading in your direction.

Roll Initiative.

only1doug
2013-03-28, 10:09 AM
Grinoed blasts the purple crystal with a shadowy eldritch ray, then walks up a wall and disappears from sight.

qwert-chan
2013-03-28, 11:47 AM
An energy ray hits its target - and the sneaky warlock feels that his attack was not as effective as it should've been, if used against any other normal enemy.

A small crack runs down the crystal, but it shows no reaction to the warlock's hostility.

8 damage resisted due to hardness.

Gwendol
2013-04-02, 04:03 PM
Tristram notes the approaching humanoids and says,

"Incoming! I'll need some support with the heavies. Alice, you need to get the townsfolk out of here. Take shelter inside buildings for now. Wake up the captain; we need some reinforcements!" The last is said to Terry.
Tristram gets back in the saddle and draws his lance, preparing to charge.

qwert-chan
2013-04-02, 11:32 PM
Tristram's words seem to have fallen(mostly) on deaf ears, as the peasants simply stare at him with blank eyes, and become less and less emotional over time. They show no reaction to his words, and it seems that they are back to their blank zombie-like state again.

Raziel's next.

DEMON
2013-04-04, 02:57 PM
Going by the rule 'shoot first, ask questions later', Raziel shoots 2 arrows against the large creatures closing in on him and his companions.

qwert-chan
2013-04-04, 09:30 PM
Raziel's first arrow hits the giant right in the chest - and he doesn't seem to be pleased about it. The second shot misses the target by a yard, though.

A few seconds later, you all hear a familiar sound of wings flapping right above the armored giants - it is obivious enough since the imp doesn't even try to hide his presence. You hear arcane mumbling right after that - and a translucent green magical aura surrounds the giants for a split second.

It seems that their movements are getting swifter.

Terry and Tai are next.

Snowbluff
2013-04-04, 09:39 PM
Terry

"Uh, what if the captain is being controlled like everyone else? This sounds like a bad idea."

Terry wussies out and holds his actions.

Togo
2013-04-05, 05:45 AM
Tai hisses, and then rushes over to form up next to the now mounted knight, 5 feet to the side, and 5 feet in front, drawing her Guisarm as she does so, and holding in the by now familiar academy approved 'guardian stance - 2nd position, as interpreted by an overexcited and nervous feline'.

Hey! Those guys are big! Anyone want to make me big too, this would be a really great time!

Readying an action to attack if anyone gets within 15ft of us before the next turn. By standing 5ft to one side and 5ft in front, Tai can take a 5ft step as part of her readied action, and stop them reaching Sir Tristram by 10 feet, which then means he'll still get his charge on his turn. Conversely, I'm only 5ft ahead of his horse, so if they don't reach us, Tristram can charge them and I'm not blocking his charge line.

qwert-chan
2013-04-05, 08:50 AM
A familiar semitransparent brain, draped in his old magical robe, silently floats from a tavern's rooftop down the street to the giants' left, and stops in the air right above them. It looks in your direction, shudders, with a few drops of green ooze falling down - and Tai hears a very silent but persistent voice in her head.

"Hey, why don't you join us, little cat-lady? I know that we were mean to you - but perhaps we can cease fire and make some kind of an agreement. So please just drop that weapon already, and everything will end with sunshine and rainbows. Okay?

We also have a plenty of milk and catnip, in case you're interested."

A Will save for Tai, please.

EDIT: Terry and Grinoed both fail to identify the imp's spell.

qwert-chan
2013-04-06, 03:59 PM
Even though the invisible voice is very charming and is obiviously backed up by some kind of mind-affecting spell effect, Tai manages to resist the temptation.

Suddenly, these ogres down the street(you're pretty sure that they're ogres by now) yell a powerful and intimidating battlecry in a perfect unison, and charge across the battlefield in a blazing dash to strike the most obivious and threatening targets. Two of them go for for Sir Tristram, and two of them - for Ensign Tai.

And then the peasants, even though they are mostly staggered and confused, actually manage to do something. Those of them who are in their best shape grab some nearby improvised weapons - and engage our heroes.

Tai, Tristram and Moll are each attacked by two crazy peasants. They failed to inflict any real damage, but they do provide flanking bonus to the ogres.

Tai can take her readied action.

And then, Grinoed, Tristram, Moll and Raziel are next.

EDIT: And those attacked by the peasants can make AOOs against the peasants, too - and reclaim the dodge bonuses(boni?) if they manage to shrug them off before the ogres' charge. And the ogres hit at +2 cause they're charging.

only1doug
2013-04-06, 05:31 PM
Grinoed pulls out a wand and enlarges Tai.

Togo
2013-04-06, 08:25 PM
Tai steps towards the ogres, her guisarm aimed at the legs of those attacking Sir Tristram.

qwert-chan
2013-04-07, 12:25 AM
In a noble act of self-sacrifice, Tai manages to trip and injure two ogre brutes that target Sir Tristram. One of them just barely manages to wound the paladin with the edge of his weapon as he loses his balance - and goes down.

Her own ogres, though, both grin and slam her with their massive greatclubs for tremendous damage. She is critically injured and down to her last hitpoint, literally.

And then, Tai suddenly becomes larger.

Even with a -4 penalty, the first ogre hits, so it's a hit/miss/hit/hit, basically, with 13 and 29 total damage.

EDIT: Damage on the ogres: 13(tripped), 17(tripped), 6, 0.

Snowbluff
2013-04-07, 12:32 AM
Terry

Terry performs a quick incantation, and runs up, and touches Tai with his Cure Moderate Wounds spell.

I won't roll because it's been maximized by master of day and night. 20 healing to Tai.

qwert-chan
2013-04-07, 12:44 AM
A powerful surge of curative energy goes right through Terry's healing hand, and most of Tai's wounds close up in a split second.

21/30 current hit points.

Gwendol
2013-04-08, 09:29 AM
As the peasants close in, Tristram whacks one of them with the broadside of his lance.

Not wasting time to see what the result may be, Tristram then launches Harry forward, trying to take out one of the prone ogres next to Tai.

qwert-chan
2013-04-09, 10:04 AM
Sir Tristram smacks a hostile peasant just as he tries to approach Moll with a glass shard in his hand - and the poor non-player character drops unconcious. And just after the lance connects, Tai feels that some sort of healing magic generated by the paladin's inner bravery heals her for a little bit.

Right after that, the paladin charges and impales one of Tai's standing ogres with his large threatening lance, killing him in one hit - even before he realizes what just happened. Tai is healed once again, the ogre crumples to the ground, and now you have one less unwashed club-swinging warrior on your hands.

Tristram's "own" ogres, though, find a gap in his defence as he charges past them and try to clumsily smack him from their prone position. And with a very lucky hit, one of them actually manages to bash him right in his back.

Damage counter:

Tristram's ogres: 13(tripped), 17(tripped).
Tai's ogres: 6, n/a(dead).

Tristram: 9/42 hp.
Tai: 25/30 hp.

Raziel's next.

Gwendol
2013-04-09, 02:42 PM
Harry kicks the closest ogre hard, for good measure.

DEMON
2013-04-11, 06:41 PM
Taking advantage of the distraction created by Tristram's charge, Raziel positions himself behind one of the tripped Ogres and attempts to hit him from behind with the butt of his bow.

qwert-chan
2013-04-12, 09:37 AM
Both Harry and Raziel hit their intended targets, as prone(and surrounded) ogres can't really defend themselves properly.

Suddenly you all hear a calm telepathic voice talking to each of you in a friendly manner.

"It seems that you are better than I initially thought - so I decided to drop that arrogant attitude of mine and bring some muscle to compensate for my own fragility. Your heads have quite a price tag attached to them, so we can earn quite a fortune if we manage to kill you - and even more if we subdue you and drag your bodies to the Nine Hells. Nothing personal, guys - it's just business. Raze a city, make a trap for some do-gooders, appease the gods, and become rich in the progress."

Right after that, you all hear familiar arcane mumbling, and feel a smell of ozone in the air. Your old invisible tiny fiendish friend from before reveals himself floating in the air 70 feet away from you, and releases a long cracking line of lightning in your direction.

Raziel, Tristram and Harry - Reflex saves, please.

qwert-chan
2013-04-13, 08:26 AM
The lightning bolt hits Tristram right in his chest and sends bolts of cracking energy through his mighty body. That seems to be his last straw, as he closes his eyes and begins to slowly die from all these accumulated wounds and the dreaded electric shock.

His mount, though, manages to(mostly) evade the magical barrage and suffers just a minor burn on his side. An ogre on the ground(the one Raziel hit a few seconds ago) is promptly electrocuted to death. And just as before, Raziel himself jumps out of the harm's way and nimbly lands back on his feet, unscratched.

Damage counter:

Tristram's ogres: 20(tripped), n/a(dead).
Tai's ogres: 6, n/a(dead).

Tristram: -9/42 hp.
Harry: 9 damage.

Terry and Tai are next.

Snowbluff
2013-04-13, 10:01 AM
Terry

"Ooh, that's no good. Cure Moderate Wounds."

Tristam heals 20.

Togo
2013-04-15, 02:42 PM
Tai, her enlarged lanky frame now level with her bulky opponent, gives a sudden gleeful laugh, cut off midway through as a sudden lunge at the ogre's head goes high, turning into a feint that sees her leg curling around her opponent. For a moment they are thigh to thigh, and then Tai twists with her hip, bringing her oppoent crashing to the ground. The reason for her high feint is now revealed, as the upraised guisarm comes whistling down on the prone ogre like the judgement of the sky itself.

qwert-chan
2013-04-16, 01:05 AM
Just as before, Terry channels divine energy to help his injured comrade, and Sir Tristram is no longer on the brink of death. He is still far from healthy, though.

Tai catches the last standing ogre with her combat trick off-balance, and he goes down with a loud *THUD*. Her guisarm hits him right in the chest, as he gasps for air - and then, both ogres suddenly drop their weapons and cower in fear.

"Wait! Don't attack! We surrender!"

Just after they beg for mercy, the brain flies 30 feet closer to you, shudders again and releases a powerful engulfing wave of freezing energy.

"Dodge this, archer-boy!" - the invisible voice yells in anger.

The wave of frost hits Raziel, Tristram, his horse, Tai, Terry, and the ogres. Fort saves, everyone. :smallsmile: and you can make Spellcraft checks to identify the power being manifested.

Damage counter:

Tristram's ogres: 20(tripped), n/a(dead).
Tai's ogres: 24, n/a(dead).

Tristram: 11/42 hp.
Harry: 9 damage.

qwert-chan
2013-04-17, 12:22 PM
Four of you are engulfed by a huge cloud of tiny piercing snowflakes - and the frost is so sudden and so intense that none of you can actually resist the magical assault. It seems that it was just too much for already injured Sir Tristram, as he is transformed into a lifeless icy statue. He falls to the ground, and his magical celestial horse disappears - presumably, to appear back again somewhere on the Upper Planes.

One ogre on the ground is frozen to death, too, along with four villagers that used to flank Tai and Tristram - and the other ogre is now unconcious.

It also seems that Moll is finally recovered from the dazed condition she was in when the combat began - and can finally join the combat.

Grinoed, Moll and Raziel are next.

Damage counter:

Tristram's ogres: 32(tripped), n/a.
Tai's ogres: n/a, n/a.

Raziel: 6/30 hp.
Terry: 12/36 hp.
Tristram: -13/42 hp.
Tai: 1/30 hp.

Gwendol
2013-04-17, 04:33 PM
Moll feels the rage building up inside her, but she isn't ready to unleash it just yet. Rushing forward she spends some of the magic energy stored in her belt to close some of the wounds Tai sustained.

only1doug
2013-04-18, 01:56 AM
Advancing into range of the now visible Imp, Grinoed strikes it with a beam of solid shadows before summoning another pool of shadows at his feet.

qwert-chan
2013-04-30, 05:03 AM
Grinoed's eldritch blast hits the floating imp, as he hisses in anger and retaliates with three small energy darts that hit Raziel right in the chest. The ranger falls down unconscious.

And the sorcerer's wounds heal up a little bit.

Terry and Tai are next.

EDIT: And as always, you can make Spellcraft checks to identify the spell.

Damage counter:

1 ogre: 32(tripped)

Raziel: -8/30 hp.
Tai: 17/30 hp.

Snowbluff
2013-04-30, 11:33 PM
Terry

Mutters the sacred words of the heal bot.
20 Healing to Raziel from CMW. No more CMW. :smallfrown:

Togo
2013-05-02, 03:58 AM
Tai sets off on a skipping run, pushing the momentum into a strike that goes high, thrusting the hook on the back or her guisarm at the flying evil. Her rage at the fall of both Tristram and Raziel causes her weapon to falter, and her blow looks set to miss her nimble target.

DEMON
2013-05-05, 06:02 PM
Recalling a bit of lore about immunities of fiends, Raziel decides to test the Imp's defenses with the help of his alchemically treated arrows. Thus he releases a Cold Iron and a Silvered arrow at the now visible creature.

qwert-chan
2013-05-07, 03:24 PM
Both Tai and Raziel miss their target - and just after that, the brain calmly speaks a magical command word, rising 30 feet up just out of your reach.

Suddenly, you hear a loud buzzing sound. A few seconds later, a large black insectoid creature with a yellow-striped belly, two wings and talons appears next to Tai and hits her with its poisoned stinger.

A Fort save, please.

The peasants skip their turn, and the ogre is still trembling in fear, so Grinoed and Moll are next.

Damage counter:

1 ogre: 32(tripped)

Raziel: 12/30 hp.
Tai: 8/30 hp.

Gwendol
2013-05-08, 04:29 AM
Seeing Tristram fall under the combined attacks from the ogres, the imp and the brain abomination had ignited Moll's fury, and now was the time to unleash it. The powerfully built woman closes the distance to Tai in a few powerful strides, while avoiding getting in the reach of the suddenly appearing vermin. Her timing off, she still manages to elevate herself enough for the large curved sword she carries to strike hard at the loathsome imp.

DIE!!! she screams as the sword strikes.

OOC: Whirling frenzy, +2 dodge bonus to AC

qwert-chan
2013-05-08, 07:15 AM
As Moll runs her by, the wasp tries to her him with a stinger, but the barbarian proves to be too fast and agile, as the insect's deadly weapon just barely misses her.

The creature hisses in fury and turns to face Tai again, waiting for the poison to settle in.

And then, Moll literally slams into the unsuspecting imp with all her rocky might, almost tearing him in half - and it seems that he is at a near-death state now - but is still living.

Grinoed is next.

only1doug
2013-05-08, 08:43 AM
Grinoed closes in toward the Imp and uses his shadow ray to steal its spells.

qwert-chan
2013-05-09, 08:05 AM
Grinoed steals a single spell from the imp successfully - the spell that he saw him using just a few seconds ago. The "Magic Missile" one.

And the sorcerer passes out from the blast of eldritch energy, but then his fiendish regeneration kicks in, and he comes back to his senses. Despite his numerous wounds the imp concentrates, turns invisible once again and flies up in the air.

Terry, Tai and Raziel are next.

Snowbluff
2013-05-09, 08:09 AM
Terry

Terry gives Tai a poke.

CLW, Maxed Master of Day and Night. Tai heals 12.

Togo
2013-05-10, 07:16 PM
Snarling in frustration, Tai advances on the floating brain. With a wavering snaking lunge she thrusts her pole-mounted blade in it's direction. Seemingly an obvious feint, too far and too weak to do damage, she suddenly whirls herself around the shaft of the guisarm, and then twists and yanks it sideways, trying to foul her blade on the cloak, and rip it away.

DEMON
2013-05-12, 04:27 PM
With the Imp leaving his sight and the Unbodied's ability to ignore damage, Raziel decided to go for the giant flying vermin. He shoots a standard arrow and a dragonsbreath arrow against his target.

qwert-chan
2013-05-12, 10:39 PM
With a very lucky hit, Tai rips the brain's cloak from his "shoulders" for herself. It drops down to the dusty ground - and the Unbodied does not seem to be pleased with the sudden turn of events. With a wild manifestation of his psionic power, a lot of slippery semitransparent grease appear at Tai and Moll's feet - and then the brain flies 30 feet away from you, now clearly out of melee reach.

Right after Raziel's second dragonhead arrow hits the wasp, the insect literally becomes a large living bonfire. It hisses in anger and pain, and clicks at Tai in a threatening manner with its large mandibles.

Two Reflex saves, please.

qwert-chan
2013-05-19, 08:11 AM
Both Moll and Tai lose their balance on that extraplanar grease - but lacking her fellow catgirl's extraordinary agility and divine protection, the Mineral warrior doesn't manage to recover - and drops down with a loud "thud".

And the giant wasp tries to sting the barbarian when she leaves herself open momentarily but misses by a yard.

Grinoed, Moll, Terry, Tai and Raziel are next.

Gwendol
2013-05-19, 09:49 PM
Growling, Moll loses her footing as the ground suddenly becomes slippery and falls to the ground. With the brain and the imp out of reach, there is really only one target left for her wrath; the giant wasp.
Tightening the grip on her blade, Moll gets her feet beneath her and finding her balance gets up, fully aware her movement exposes her to an attack from the vermin.
Once up she drives the falchion deep into the wasp with a powerful overhead swing.

only1doug
2013-05-20, 05:14 AM
Shadows flicker around Grinoed as he unleashes the stolen arcane energy and three small bolts of pure force home unerringly upon the Floating Brain and then the shadows swallow him again as he slips into their embrace.

qwert-chan
2013-05-22, 08:09 AM
The wasp stings Tai one more time - and just after that, Moll's mighty two-handed swing cleanly cuts the creature in half. With a silent *pop* its chitinous remains disappear into thin air - presumably, to appear at a whatever plane the insect was summoned from.

True to their nature, Grinoed's stolen magic missles ignore the brain's defences - and it psionically shrieks in pain right after the impact.

A Constitution Fortitude save for Tai, please.

Damage counter:

Raziel: 12/30 hp.
Terry: 16/36 hp.
Tai: 8/30 hp.
Wasp: dead.
Imp: almost dead, invisible.
Brain: 10.