PDA

View Full Version : cool constructs (taking requests)

inuyasha
2013-01-28, 03:02 PM
Hi, I am inuyasha and I am taking requests for custom constructs, just give me a general size, shape, and I can probably build it. I make golems, clockwork, magical clockwork, and synthetic life. I will also create a half construct template if you want. I have the first construct of the thread here

Clockwork man
Medium size Construct
Hit Dice: 13d10+20
Initiative: -2
Speed: 30ft
AC: 23 (-2 dex +15 natural)
BaB: +10/+5
Attacks: 2 slams +13/+8 or 2 short swords +13/+8
Damage: slam 1d8+3, short sword 1d6+3
Special attacks: Weapon mount, concealed weapon mount
Special qualities: speech, fine manipulation, vessel, self repair 5, illusory disguise
Space/reach: 5ft/5ft
Saves: Fort +4 Ref +4 Will +4
Abilities: Str 17 Dex 7 Con—Int 8 Wis 10 Cha 10
Skills: none
Feats: two of the creator’s choice that the construct must qualify for
CR: 11
Treasure: none
Alignment: neutral
Environment: any
Organization: solitary
LA: --
Clockwork men are made by wizards to take into places they want to go if they do not want to get out of the house. Or just as a lackey for combat or errands. They appear as tall, clockwork, silvery humans (but their illusion covers this up) and they have a short sword hidden in each arm. Unlike other constructs, they are capable of fine manipulation, thought, and even speech, but they are still not alive

Combat:

Self repair (Su):
Clockwork men have fast healing 5

Concealed weapon mount (Ex):
When the constructs short swords are hidden, they are undetectable by any means other than close examination.

Fine manipulation (Ex)
Unlike other constructs, a clockwork man can do things that require fine manipulation like pick locks, open chests, use chopsticks, and other things.

Illusory disguise (Su):
A clockwork man can at will use change self to appear as any medium humanoid. This also disguises its voice to be like a creature of that type its disguising itself as. The construct gets a +10 to disguise checks

Speech (Ex):
A clockwork man can speak in an eerily hollow, monotone voice. Its disguise can cover this

Cost of a clockwork man:
The XP cost for constructing a clockwork man is 1775 XP
The cost of the body is 12000 GP
The total cost is 88750 GP
CL 13; craft construct, animate object, change self, magic mouth, magic jar

and in addition, if you have a cool construct that you just want to show off, post it here

bobthe6th
2013-01-28, 03:10 PM
Low HD/CR construct? human sized, built in armor/shield/weapon.

inuyasha
2013-01-28, 03:12 PM
Low HD/CR construct? human sized, built in armor/shield/weapon.

kk I will get to work on that. but is it a golem, clockwork, or synthetic flesh?

bobthe6th
2013-01-28, 03:14 PM
golem, animated suit of full plate.

inuyasha
2013-01-28, 03:15 PM
golem, animated suit of full plate.

allright! awesome

JoshuaZ
2013-01-28, 03:28 PM
Ooh. Two requests/ideas:

1. How about a clockwork symbiote which implants itself in a spellcaster and can give them some immunities of a construct at the cost of a small amount of magical power (in the form of one fewer spell slot a day)- outside a caster it should be around CR 2?

2. A clockwork creature that grows by incorporating into itself other clockwork creatures.

inuyasha
2013-01-28, 03:36 PM
Ooh. Two requests/ideas:

1. How about a clockwork symbiote which implants itself in a spellcaster and can give them some immunities of a construct at the cost of a small amount of magical power (in the form of one fewer spell slot a day)- outside a caster it should be around CR 2?

2. A clockwork creature that grows by incorporating into itself other clockwork creatures.

Be prepared to not get it right away. I can do it but it does sound a little challenging. But you will get it

@bobthe6th
Im working on the golem and its turning out pretty good so far, 6HD good or do you want more or less?

bobthe6th
2013-01-28, 03:46 PM
Sounds about right... just try to keep the CR=<HD.

inuyasha
2013-01-28, 03:48 PM
Sounds about right... just try to keep the CR=<HD.

I have it at CR 4, good, bad, less, more? what do you think

bobthe6th
2013-01-28, 04:01 PM
As long as it fits their...

inuyasha
2013-01-28, 04:14 PM
Heres your suit of armor bobthe6th. Any changes you want made? (I added the burrow because I thought it might be a nice surprise, but if you want it gone I can remove it)

Armored attacker
Medium size construct
Hit Dice: 6d10+20
Initiative: +1
Speed: 20ft (4 squares)
AC: 20 (+9 natural +1 dex)
BaB: +4
Attacks: 2 slams +10 or 2 +1 longswords +12
Damage: Slam 2d8+6 or +1 longsword 1d8+7
Special qualities: Magic immunity, Metal vulnerabilities, DR 10/+3, burrow
Space/reach: 5ft/5ft
Saves: Fort +2 Ref +2 Will +2
Abilities: Str 22 Dex 12 Con—Int—Wis 10 Cha 1
Feats: weapon proficiency (longsword), Two weapon fighting
CR: 4
Organization: solitary or pair
LA: --
Armored attackers are animated suits of armor dual wielding longswords. They where they have a helmet, it has an open face, revealing nothing but blackness and two red glowing eyes.

Combat:

Magic immunity (Ex):
Armored attackers are immune to all spells, spell like abilities, and supernatural abilities except as follows. Electricity effects slow them (as the spell) for 1d4 rounds with no saving throw. Fire effects break any slow effect on the golem and heal it 1 point of damage for every 3 points of damage it would have dealt.

Metal vulnerabilities (Ex):
Armored attackers are affected normally by rust effects, such as those from rusting grasp or a rust monsters antenna.

Burrow (Su):
An armored attacker can hide itself by sinking into the ground or melding inside a wall or rock formation, then creating the illusion that its place of hiding was not disturbed in any way. Hiding takes 2 actions, one for melding with the rock, the second for making the illusion. Bursting out is a move equivalent action only

Creating an armored attacker:
The XP cost is 1700
The cost of the body is 38000*
The total cost is 89000*
CL 12: craft construct, animate object, Geas/quest, limited wish, transmute rock to mud, silent image, move earth
*that is including the cost of the longswords

On to the two things joshuaZ requested

bobthe6th
2013-01-28, 04:18 PM
Seems interesting, Though I do note it lacks TWF...

Might trade one sword for a heavy shield, or the weapon focus feat for TWF.

inuyasha
2013-01-28, 04:31 PM
hmm ok :)

also
JoshuaZ I understand the first clockwork creature but I dont understand it.
is it something that makes a clockwork creature stronger, or leaches power from a clockwork creature eventually destroying it and metamorphosing into a clockwork monster?

Cidolfas
2013-01-28, 04:56 PM
I gotta ask what makes the first monster in the OP worthy of CR 11. It's got short swords, some disguise abilities, a bit of healing, and it can talk. Fast healing and pretty high Strength aside, you could cut this down all the way to a CR 1 monster or even a playable race. Fluff is alright, but I just think it's a bit underwhelming for its CR and even the fluff provided. "Lackeys and errands" doesn't sound like CR 11 to me.

Frathe
2013-01-28, 05:13 PM
What about a mechanical spider, Large size, and it shoots chains instead of web (maybe some kind of grapple attack)?

inuyasha
2013-01-28, 05:21 PM
Cidolfas, it does have high natural armor, fast healing, concealed weapons which can surprise people, and it has the vessel ability which not only allows the creator to control it and use its body, also gives it access to the concealed weapons and disguise. Also, lackey doesn't mean weak, think of redcloak, lackey of xykon, hes not weak, hes just not as strong as his master. Same thing with starscream and megatron, or Joker and Harlee Quin

Also frathe: I can do that :), might not be special with grappling but the chains and stuff I can do

inuyasha
2013-01-28, 05:48 PM
probably OP but heres the clockwork parasite

Clockwork parasite
diminutive construct
Hit Dice: 2d10
Initiative: +0
Speed: 20ft. climb 10ft.
AC: 20 (+1 dex +4 size +5 natural)
BaB: +1
Attacks: bite +1
Damage: bite 1d3-4
Special attacks: attach, gift
Special qualities: construct traits DR 1/--
Saves: Fort +1 Ref +1 Will +1
Abilities: Str 3 Dex 10 Con—Int—Wis 10 Cha 1
Feats: ability focus (gift)
CR: 3 (+3 to a host if it is used)
Organization: solitary, pair, or colony (3-14)
Clockwork parasites are small, snakelike beings that can attach to arcane spellcasters, giving them construct traits, and eventually they transform them into constructs from the inside.
Combat:
Attach (Ex):
A Clockwork parasite that hits with its bite attack can attach to a target that fulfills the requirements of its gift. It can gift the target next round.
Gift (Ex):
By melding with the targets spinal cord, a clockwork parasite can grant a humanoid shaped spellcaster (two arms two legs one head) the powers of constructs. The longer the clockwork parasite is used. The better the benefits. Unwilling beings get a fortitude save DC 12 to resist the effect. Once attached, a clockwork parasite can only be removed through death, or expensive surgery for 10000 GP +1000 for every 1/2 week the parasite has been attached
First put on: target no longer needs to sleep or eat, loses two spell slots of highest level available
One week: Target no longer needs to breathe.
Week and a half: Metal plates develop under the skin, +2 natural armor -2 charisma
Two weeks: eyes are replaced with metallic orbs, gain lowlight vision and darkvision 60ft
Two and a half weeks: +2 on all saving throws
Three weeks: Spikes develop on the metal plates, gaining armor spikes and a -2 dexterity from the constant pain
Three and a half weeks: bones are transformed into metal rods, gain DR 3/--
Four weeks: spikes get longer, slam or unarmed attacks now are claws dealing 1d6 damage
Four and a half weeks: muscles are transformed into metal, +4 strength -2 dexterity from the bulk and weight
Five weeks: guts transform into metal, immunity to poison and disease
Five and a half weeks: metal plates are now exposed as skin sloughs off
Six weeks: your heart transforms into a magical pump, you are now a living construct and you gain a +4 constitution. You are however horribly unlike your normal self, and you are now almost emotionless, you get -4 charisma and -2 diplomacy and bluff checks. At this point a clockwork parasite cannot be removed by any means short of a miracle or wish

Clockwork parasites cannot be constructed but can be caught and sold for 89000 GP

JoshuaZ
2013-01-28, 08:21 PM
That's excellent, thanks.

inuyasha
2013-01-28, 09:12 PM
That's excellent, thanks.

so regarding my earlier post, could you explain your second idea a little bit for me? I didnt understand it very much but Im sure I could build it

Also thanks Im glad you like it

JoshuaZ
2013-01-28, 10:03 PM
so regarding my earlier post, could you explain your second idea a little bit for me? I didnt understand it very much but Im sure I could build it

Also thanks Im glad you like it

The idea was something that can take the remains of other clockwork creatures (or possibly even forcively if they are still active) and incorporate their clockwork into itself, slowly giving itself more hit die, and possibly adding on abilities they had. Something maybe similar to the dusk giant from Heroes of Horror.

inuyasha
2013-01-28, 10:06 PM
The idea was something that can take the remains of other clockwork creatures (or possibly even forcively if they are still active) and incorporate their clockwork into itself, slowly giving itself more hit die, and possibly adding on abilities they had. Something maybe similar to the dusk giant from Heroes of Horror.

sweet thanks bro, this will be awesome. And im glad you liked the other one

CinuzIta
2013-01-29, 11:08 AM
can I make a request as well?:)

I'd like to have an elven construct similar to warforged, but with elven charateristics. So maybe something like magically animated complete mithral armor, with an hidden auto recharging bow on his left arm [something like a switchknife] that shots magical arrows [magic missile style]. It should be somewhat agile [following the elven military tradition]. The main melee weapon can be an hidden blade or a normal weapon, your choice. I'd like it to have a low cr/hd, so that with a little work it can be used as a character with a low la..

inuyasha
2013-01-29, 06:33 PM
cool, consider it my payment for you makin that amazing prc :)

so this is what Im making and this is the order

1. Chainspinner spider
2. Elven defender warforged
and Im really sorry to say but that other parasite that gets power from clockwork creatures will be really hard and Im still thinking of how to do that

And I know I started this as a construct thread but do you think it would be a good idea if I started a new thread where I took requests for any creature, not nessicerily a construct?

Zale
2013-01-31, 12:30 AM
Whatever you desire.

If I could, would you mind making an organic construct race, preferably LA: 0 or 1?

Ala Franken Monster. :D

Cidolfas
2013-01-31, 02:16 AM
Cidolfas, it does have high natural armor, fast healing, concealed weapons which can surprise people, and it has the vessel ability which not only allows the creator to control it and use its body, also gives it access to the concealed weapons and disguise. Also, lackey doesn't mean weak, think of redcloak, lackey of xykon, hes not weak, hes just not as strong as his master. Same thing with starscream and megatron, or Joker and Harlee Quin

Fair enough, disputing the lackey bit was probably a poor argument. I just think most of those things aren't very comparable to other CR 11 creatures. A barbed devil, for example, can do all the normal devil things like teleport and use SLA's and summon more of itself. Ditto for the hezrou, which also has Large size and an AoE sickening effect to boot.

Dragons are pretty strong all the time, so they are probably not the best example, but they are one to consider. A dread wraith has incorporealness, Con drain, and spawn creation. A devourer has SLA's and all the protections afforded to it by its trapped essence. These are all SRD monsters with stuff that, in my opinion, can outdo your guy without much of a challenge.

That all having been said, there are worse monsters than those that also have a higher CR (the behemoth gorilla comes to mind), so the SRD has proven itself to be wildly inconsistent (sounds like PC classes a little).

And I might be stuck in Tier 2 and 1 mode (that's how I'm used to thinking), but a wizard can kite your boy pretty much all the time by flying away OR simply moving away each turn and blasting it. Same story for anyone with range and enough movement. And they could probably be capable of such things well before CR 11.

I'm not saying you need to buff it significantly to keep it at CR 11, although that is a fair option. But it would be simpler and allow it to see action in more games (since in my admittedly limited experience and the personal testimony of D&D'ers I know, most games rarely get past level 14 unless it's by design (that is, they start that way). If this is dropped down as low as, say, CR 2 and the stats adjusted accordingly, you could continue to advance it by making the vessel ability give you PC levels in addition to what it currently does.

togapika
2013-01-31, 06:00 AM
How about a clockwork motorcycle suitable for use as a mount by a paladin?